HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 28 of 30 1 2 26 27 28 29 30
Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14503
08/09/05 07:57 PM
08/09/05 07:57 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Gary,

I didn’t even have the opportunity to welcome you and you have already left! I hope you change your mind.

Tom,

1- About faith:

“Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. ... So faith, hope, love abide, these three” (1 Cor. 13: 8, 13).

"The Lord created every tree in Eden, pleasant to the eyes and good for food, and he bade Adam and Eve freely enjoy his bounties. But he made one exception. Of the tree of knowledge of good and evil they were not to eat. This tree God reserved as a constant reminder of his ownership of all. Thus he gave them an opportunity to demonstrate their faith and trust in him and their perfect obedience to his requirements.” {AU Gleaner, December 14, 1904}

“While Satan claimed to have received great good by eating of the forbidden tree, he did not let it appear that by transgression he had become an outcast from heaven. Here was falsehood, so concealed under a covering of apparent truth that Eve, infatuated, flattered, beguiled, did not discern the deception. She coveted what God had forbidden; she distrusted His wisdom. She cast away faith, the key of knowledge.” {Ed 24}

“Adam regretted that Eve had left his side, but now the deed was done. He must be separated from her whose society he had loved so well. How could he have it thus? His love for Eve was strong. And in utter discouragement he resolved to share her fate. He reasoned that Eve was a part of himself, and if she must die, he would die with her, for he could not bear the thought of separation from her. He lacked faith in his merciful and benevolent Creator.” {SR 36}

2- About grace. I was thinking about grace as mercy, for only those who sin need grace (mercy). In this sense Jesus never needed grace:

“We should never have learned the meaning of this word ‘grace’ had we not fallen. God loves the sinless angels, who do His service, and are obedient to all His commands; but He does not give them grace. These heavenly beings know naught of grace; they have never needed it; for they have never sinned. Grace is an attribute of God shown to undeserving human beings. We did not seek after it, but it was sent in search of us. God rejoices to bestow this grace upon every one who hungers for it. To every one He presents terms of mercy, not because we are worthy, but because we are so utterly unworthy. Our need is the qualification which gives us the assurance that we shall receive this gift.” {AG 10.2}

But if you think of grace as God’s assistance and blessing, then I think the word could be applied to Jesus.

3-
quote:
Old Tom:Christ was tempted in all points as we are tempted, which includes doing things which are against the inclinations of our flesh.
I agree, in the sense Ellen White is presenting here:

“The human will of Christ would not have led him to the wilderness of temptation, to fast, and to be tempted of the devil. It would not have led him to endure humiliation, scorn, reproach, suffering, and death. His human nature shrank from all these things as decidedly as ours shrinks from them. He endured the contradiction of sinners against himself. The contrast between the life and character of Christ and our life and character is painful to contemplate. What did Christ live to do? It was the will of his heavenly Father. Christ left us an example, that we should follow in his steps. Are we doing it?” {ST, October 29, 1894 par. 9}

Now, I don’t know what “inclinations of our flesh” you have in mind. Could you give some examples?

Mike,

Something that is being discussed here is whether Christ possessed or not inherited tendencies to evil. Something that is never discussed is that our cultivated tendencies to evil are much more powerful than our inherited tendencies, because sin is reinforced by repetition. In fact our greatest difficulty is to break with sinful habits. But Christ did not possess cultivated tendencies to evil. In fact, there is one temptation Christ never had, and that was to "do it just once more" (referring to sin). So, if Christ had to experience everything that we experience in order to show us that victory is possible, there would be no hope for drug addicts, alcoholics and homosexuals (sins based on a repeated behavior). However, the essence of temptation is always the same - to do your will instead of God’s will.

I don’t know if Christ was born born again. What is clear, however, is that Christ’s experience as a human being parallels that of born-again believers, that is, born-again believers have at their disposal the same resources Christ had, and may be overcomers in the same way that He was. He lived and died in order to make this possible.
Besides, His temptations were much stronger than ours. “You have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin” (Heb. 12:4).

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14504
08/09/05 09:36 PM
08/09/05 09:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Once again this is an answer that leaves much to be desired in terms of honesty of answer.

Pshaw.... That's your second slippery answer after chastising someone else for slippery answers on the other thread we were participating in.

[A]nd from the two threads I joined it has become clear that honesty and truth are still being sacrificed on the altar of personal theology.

I can't tell you how disillusioning the reality is. Very, very, very few people actually want to consider all the evidence.

Gary, your strong condemnations are wholly unfounded. I’m sorry you did not enjoy studying with us. We all need to embrace the following promise:

Revelation
14:5 And in their mouth was found no guile: for they are without fault before the throne of God.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14505
08/09/05 09:51 PM
08/09/05 09:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
So, if Christ had to experience everything that we experience in order to show us that victory is possible, there would be no hope for drug addicts, alcoholics and homosexuals (sins based on a repeated behavior). However, the essence of temptation is always the same - to do your will instead of God’s will.

Rosangela, I’m not sure we can say with such certainty that Jesus wasn’t tempted in all points we, as human beings, are tempted. All we know for sure is that Jesus was tempted in all points.

It’s true that Jesus never cultivated any of the sinful tendencies He inherited with His fallen human nature, but He was, nonetheless, tempted in all points. Also, I think it is important to bear in mind that Jesus wasn’t tempted like an unbeliever, rather, He was tempted like a born-again believer. The difference is vast.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14506
08/09/05 10:31 PM
08/09/05 10:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela:

1) Thank you for the quotes on faith. I would be interested if you could find any relating to non-humans.

2) I think "mercy" and "grace" are a bit different. Mercy would imply, it seems to me, an offence committed which is not recompensed as it should be. "Grace" to my mind involves the disposition of treating someone better than they deserve; that is, in a gracious way.

3) Having sex with someone who is not your spouse would be an inclination of the flesh. The flesh knows nothing of marriage or any such things. It only knows of desires; it's up to the mind to regulate the flesh.

We feel a tremendous conflict between the urgings of our flesh and what the mind knows to be true. Christ experienced this same conflict, but never gave in to temptation.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14507
08/10/05 09:09 AM
08/10/05 09:09 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
Gary, I'm not aware of anywhere in inspiration which speaks of unfallen beings exercising faith. However, I'm open to be corrected if you can produce such a statement.
Whatsoever is not of Faith is sin.

Tom, Gary’s point is very relevant, and is the basis of the issues of this topic. Simply put, if faith is not exercised in heaven, then it would be all sin. Faith is the foundation of the kingdom of God. If faith is seen as something only for this world, then it is not understood at all.

Without faith it is impossible to please God.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14508
08/10/05 06:35 PM
08/10/05 06:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I suppose it depends upon what one considers faith to be. If one considers it to be trust in God based upon an appreciation of His character, then that certainly applies to all of God's children.

I'm not aware that inspiration uses the term for non-humans. Rosangela pointed out some quotes to where it is applied to Adam and Eve before they fell, so perhaps that is sufficient to establish the point. If any one can come across any statements relating faith to angels, I'd be interested in seeing that.

The classic definition of faith is that it is a conviction of things unseen. The context seems to me to be addressing the human condition.

To me this seems a matter of semantics. That is, in terms of the broader issue of the Great Controversy, I'm not aware that you (John B.) or I see things differently. Gary seemed to be on the same page as well.

Since this topic has been taken over by faith, I'll ask a few questions:

1) What is faith?
2) Is the faith referred to after sin arose any different than the faith referred to before?
3) Is the faith that fallen humans need to exercise any different than the faith that angels exercise (assuming angels exercize faith)?

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14509
08/11/05 12:37 AM
08/11/05 12:37 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Man [on page 11]:
Tom, what is the difference between fallen beings exercising saving faith and unfallen beings exercising non-saving faith? For example, when unfallen beings encounter things they don’t understand they have to trust and believe God until they understand it.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14510
08/11/05 01:55 AM
08/11/05 01:55 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The way you are suggesting to consider faith, as believing or trusting in God's character (it appears to me this is your thought) seems perfectly reasonable to me.

How faith would be different between us and unfallen beings would be if the experience of sin is involved. That is, for example, if faith has to do with grace and mercy, then we humans have experienced this personally, whereas unfallen beings have just witnessed it. They can still be moved by it, of course, but the experience isn't the same.

If one conceives of faith as a trust in God's goodness, which seems like one possible very reasonable definiton, then there wouldn't necessarily be any difference.

It appears to me that how faith is used in Scripture, especially in the Greek, encompasses more than how we generally use the word in English.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14511
08/11/05 04:23 PM
08/11/05 04:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1) What is faith?

Taking God at His word.

2) Is the faith referred to after sin arose any different than the faith referred to before?

No. The fruit of faith is obedience.

3) Is the faith that fallen humans need to exercise any different than the faith that angels exercise (assuming angels exercize faith)?

No. In both cases the fruit of faith is obedience. Our circumstances are totally different, of course, but the fruit of the faith is obedience no matter where or by whom it is exerised.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14512
08/11/05 07:41 PM
08/11/05 07:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Is taking God at His word all that faith is? Does faith involve appreciation, for example? Or gratitude? Does it involve an admiration of God's character?

For example, a person could hate God, and still take Him at His word. Would such a person be exercising faith? Would this faith be salvific?

Page 28 of 30 1 2 26 27 28 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!