HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,313 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 29 of 30 1 2 27 28 29 30
Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14513
08/11/05 09:42 PM
08/11/05 09:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Romans
10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because [he eateth] not of faith: for whatsoever [is] not of faith is sin.

1 John
5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith.

Do these passages shed any light on the subject?

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14514
08/12/05 04:00 AM
08/12/05 04:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes they do. How about this one?

quote:
36 And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat. 37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, 38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. 39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner. 40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on. 41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. 42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? 43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. 44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. 45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. 46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. 47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. 49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? 50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.(Luke 7:36-50)
How about the questions I asked? Please answer them.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14515
08/12/05 05:08 PM
08/12/05 05:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

Faith doesn’t save us, Jesus does. It is faith that enables Jesus to save us. That’s what Jesus meant.

quote:
Is taking God at His word all that faith is? Does faith involve appreciation, for example? Or gratitude? Does it involve an admiration of God's character?

For example, a person could hate God, and still take Him at His word. Would such a person be exercising faith? Would this faith be salvific?

Saving faith is taking God at His word. To appreciate God’s character we must believe what we learn about His character in His word. “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14516
08/12/05 10:26 PM
08/12/05 10:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Old Tom: And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

MM: Faith doesn’t save us, Jesus does. It is faith that enables Jesus to save us. That’s what Jesus meant.

Tom: The reason I quoted the story was because it was a story which demonstrated what faith is. The woman demonstrated her appreciation of what Christ had done for her by anointing Him with perfume and washing His feet with her tears. Jesus referred to this as "faith". So the faith which Christ referred to as saving her was more than simply taking God at His word, which would be simply believing some fact.

You mentioned that faith enables Jesus to save us. What does this mean? What does Jesus do that saves us? How does faith enable Him to do that?

Old Tom: Is taking God at His word all that faith is? Does faith involve appreciation, for example? Or gratitude? Does it involve an admiration of God's character?

For example, a person could hate God, and still take Him at His word. Would such a person be exercising faith? Would this faith be salvific?

MM: Saving faith is taking God at His word. To appreciate God’s character we must believe what we learn about His character in His word. “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”

Tom: I don't see that your response answered any of my questions. They can be answered "yes" or "no." Feel free to elaborate, but I would still be interested in the yes and no parts. For your convenience, I'll repeat them here:

Is taking God at His word all that faith is? Does faith involve appreciation, for example? Or gratitude? Does it involve an admiration of God's character?

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14517
08/13/05 02:41 AM
08/13/05 02:41 AM
John H.  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
North Carolina, USA
EGW used this phrase hundreds of times to describe real, saving faith: "Faith that works by love."

[edit] This is also good:

"Where there is not only a belief in God's word, but a submission of the will to Him; where the heart is yielded to Him, the affections fixed upon Him, there is faith."
{SC 63.2}

[ August 13, 2005, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: John H. ]

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14518
08/13/05 03:30 AM
08/13/05 03:30 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
I don't see that your response answered any of my questions.
I'm sorry. I guess I don't know how to answer your question.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14519
08/13/05 04:49 AM
08/13/05 04:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
"Where there is not only a belief in God's word, but a submission of the will to Him; where the heart is yielded to Him, the affections fixed upon Him, there is faith."
Yes this is good. It brings out that our affections being fixed upon God is an element of faith. It's not simply taking God at His word. Ellen White often referred to it as "heart work".

She also has a statement where she says we may say we believe in Christ when we recognize the cost of our salvation (believing in Christ is synonomous to saying that we have faith in Christ).

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14520
08/13/05 05:00 AM
08/13/05 05:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Old Tom:I don't see that your response answered any of my questions.

MM: I'm sorry. I guess I don't know how to answer your question.

Tom: No need to apologize. I see you are having trouble, so I will help you step by step through each question.

Question No. 1: Is taking God at His word all that faith is?

This question can be answered "yes" or "no". A "yes" answer would mean that faith involves nothing more than taking God at His word. It would not involve other elements, such as appreciating God's character, or feeling of gratitude or thankfulness. A "no" answer would mean there is more involved, such as the things I suggested, or other elements that you might suggest.

Question No. 2(a, b, c):Does faith involve appreciation, for example? Or gratitude? Does it involve an admiration of God's character?

These are addional elements to question 1 which I have suggested. I believe that in addition to taking God at His word, these elements are also, in addition, included as essential elements to faith. Do you agree with me on this? You may answer "yes" if you agree, and "no" if you do not.

Question No. 3(a, b):For example, a person could hate God, and still take Him at His word. Would such a person be exercising faith? Would this faith be salvific?

A person could hate God, such as say one of the pharisees. If a pharisee, specifically one of the ones who conspired to put Christ to death, were to take God at His Word, would he be exerciaing faith? This question can be answered "yes" if you think such an act would be an act of faith, or "no" if you think not. You could elabaorate as you saw fit.

If you respond "no", then there's no need to respond to the follow up question as to whether this faith would be salvific, so you would be saying you don't believe the pharisee was exercizing faith. If you respond "yes", that the pharisee is answering faith, then is this faith salivic? By this I mean, would this faith result in the Pharisee's salvation? This question can be answered "yes" or "no".

Ok, you should be set now! Please answer the questions. The reason I'm asking is to try to ascertain more completely what you conceive faith to be.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14521
08/13/05 08:47 PM
08/13/05 08:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
I believe that in addition to taking God at His word, these elements are also, in addition, included as essential elements to faith. Do you agree with me on this? You may answer "yes" if you agree, and "no" if you do not.
No. I believe such things are the fruit of faith.

quote:
If a pharisee, specifically one of the ones who conspired to put Christ to death, were to take God at His Word, would he be exerciaing faith?

No. Conspiring to kill Christ is not a fruit of faith. With saving faith it is all or nothing. No man can serve two masters. A tree cannot bear two opposite kinds of fruit.

John
14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

According to this passage, to believe on Jesus is to behave like Jesus. Faith and works are separate but related elements of salvation.

Re: Born sinning or born sinners? #14522
08/14/05 05:31 AM
08/14/05 05:31 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thank you MM for answering the questions. You wrote that you believe that appreciation and gratitude are fruits of faith. I believe they are essential elements of faith. That is, one cannot have faith without feeling gratitude. My belief is in harmony with both Scripture (see the story about Mary Magdalene and the feast of Simon which I cited) and the Spirit of Prophesy (who wrote that we may say we believe in Jesus when we appreciate the cost of our salvation.

Regariding the Pharisee question, you wrote that if a Pharisee who was plotting to kill Christ were to take God at His word, that would NOT be faith. So what is faith? You wrote before that faith is taking God at His word, but in the case of the Pharisee you say it isn't. You seem to be contradicting yourself.

Page 29 of 30 1 2 27 28 29 30

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!