HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #147052
11/17/12 02:20 AM
11/17/12 02:20 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
And would that make you an anointed messenger to make this statement against me?

Well, not just that. I'm smarter than you, too. ROFL

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? [Re: Elle] #147108
11/18/12 05:34 AM
11/18/12 05:34 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Elle

I was making a point, beyond the obvious laws of a prophet.

I am not wrong about it.
I fail to see the practicality of your point. Someone is not going to see a light(glory of God) beaming out of a true prophet's face. I'm sure Jeremiah was not glowing.

The word "glory" refers to character, not necesarily "glowing".
The Hebrew word for “glory” is Kabod; it basically means weight or substance. God’s glory manifests and reveals His love and goodness.

Moses asked to see God's glory. God’s reply, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion” (Exodus 33:19)

When we look to Jesus we too can see the glory of God revealed.

2 Cor. 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, has shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

So yes, a true messenger of God will have the glory of God shining in their faces. Not in a glowing light, but in the expression on their faces and the actions of their lives, reflecting the character of God.

John 13:35 By this shall all know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

Matt. 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Gal 5:22-23 For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance.

The life of the prophet must be worthy of God's personal representative. A prophet should be recognized as different from other people, because in vision they have seen and talked with Christ and angels.

In addition to their message agreeing with the biblical prophets, (a very important test) the prophet's own life should be a godly one, and the tenor of their messages is such to lead people to a saving relationship with Christ and to a genuine godly, commandment keeping life.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? [Re: kland] #147110
11/18/12 06:05 AM
11/18/12 06:05 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Harold Fair
Originally Posted By: Johann
It takes humility to accept the revelation of truth. I read recently in the writings of Ellen White that if we search the divine writings to verify our opinions we will never discover the truth.

She said, somewhere, that if we studied the Bible on our own, she wouoldn't have been necessary.
And as one so aptly put it, she is the lazy man's way of studying the Bible.

While we must base our doctrines upon the scriptures, and its true that all the doctrines of the Seventh-day Adventist church came from Bible study first.
Thus it's true if we dig deeply into scripture we can find all the answers for doctrine and salvation in it's pages.

However, Ellen White's writings are needed to guide the church through the last days.
As one Author puts it -- EGW's writings are like a "harbor map". A ship sailing the high seas has a big world map in the pilot's area. While out on the oceans this map is all the pilot needs, but when they come to a harbor, expecially one with lots of reefs, a local pilot may come aboard with a "harbor map", to show all the dangerous points in the harbor.

The Bible is like the BIG map of the world that guides the ships across the seven oceans.
The harbour map is like the writings of EGW -- specifically meant to guide the ship through the dangerous waters.

People who throw out the harbour map, are throwing out all the warnings and points of danger upon which the church and its members can get hung up and shipwrecked during the last days of earth's history.

Satan's big effort is to make of non-effect the writings of EGW.

Quote:
There will be a hatred kindled against the testimonies which is satanic. The workings of Satan will be to unsettle the faith of the churches in them for this reason:
Satan cannot have so clear a track to bring in his deceptions and bind up souls in his delusions if the warnings and reproofs and counsels of the spirit of God are heeded.
(1888 material page 797)

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? [Re: dedication] #147119
11/18/12 03:59 PM
11/18/12 03:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Those SDAs who are not completely convinced Jesus is guiding them through the SOP are in danger of backsliding.

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? [Re: dedication] #147144
11/19/12 07:56 AM
11/19/12 07:56 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication
A prophet should be recognized as different from other people....the prophet's own life should be a godly one... and to a genuine godly, commandment keeping life.

Let's bring your point with an extreme example.

If Ellen white(or any claimed prophet) conveyed the word received from the Lord without any clothings(behind/but naked) in public -- would you consider that a sure indication that this person is ungodly?

Is there Bible texts that support that a godly life is the test of a prophet?

Blessings
Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? [Re: Elle] #147183
11/20/12 03:59 AM
11/20/12 03:59 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Elle seems to be implying Isaiah 20 here, where Isaiah was to demonstrate the shame that would befall Israel.

However, character is something different.

Character is who a person is -- and character is affected by the company one keeps. Someone who spends a lot of time with the Lord, will reflect His character. They are still human but there is something

John 13:35 By this shall all know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

1 John 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

Gal 5:22-23 For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance.

The life of the prophet must be worthy of God's personal representative. A prophet should be recognized as different from other people, because in vision they have seen and talked with Christ and angels.

Just read through Paul's letters,
he maintains he doesn't need letters of recommendation, people can see he speaks the words of God by the changed lives of those who believe his message. (See 2 Cor. 3:1-3 for example)

Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? [Re: dedication] #147211
11/21/12 11:50 AM
11/21/12 11:50 AM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA

I was making a point, beyond the obvious laws of a prophet.

I am not wrong about it.
I fail to see the practicality of your point. Someone is not going to see a light(glory of God) beaming out of a true prophet's face. I'm sure Jeremiah was not glowing.

The word "glory" refers to character, not necesarily "glowing".
The Hebrew word for “glory” is Kabod; it basically means weight or substance. God’s glory manifests and reveals His love and goodness.

Moses asked to see God's glory. God’s reply, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion” (Exodus 33:19)

When we look to Jesus we too can see the glory of God revealed.

2 Cor. 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, has shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

So yes, a true messenger of God will have the glory of God shining in their faces. Not in a glowing light, but in the expression on their faces and the actions of their lives, reflecting the character of God.

Amen!

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? [Re: dedication] #147361
11/23/12 10:47 PM
11/23/12 10:47 PM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada

Elle seems to be implying Isaiah 20 here, where Isaiah was to demonstrate the shame that would befall Israel.

However, character is something different.
I bet if the Lord had ask Ellen White to go around naked for 3 years, we wouldn’t have a SDA church today. This sort of display does effect how people view you and they will judge your character by this. Just like many had judge Hosea's character when he married that prostitute and Ezekiel for eating food cook over dung and laying on his side for so long.
Character is who a person is -- and character is affected by the company one keeps. Someone who spends a lot of time with the Lord, will reflect His character. They are still human but there is something
Meekness, temperance.
Just read through Paul's letters,
he maintains he doesn't need letters of recommendation, people can see he speaks the words of God by the changed lives of those who believe his message. (See 2 Cor. 3:1-3 for example)

-All these texts does not express that character is the test of a prophet’s words. We have the example of Jonah that failed the character test, however, the Lord still used him.

-The Lord uses who He wants to prophesize despite of character.

-Plus, all men fall short of the glory of G-d, so all our characters fall short from what its suppose to be.

-No prophets know all things. So they prophesize partially because their knowledge is partial. There’s limitation what any prophet knows which means all their words that proceeds from their mouth or pens are not all inspired.

-It is our duty (according to the Lord’s Law in Deut 13, Deut 18 and Is 8:20 and other texts) to test all words even from a true prophet that has spoken in harmony from the law in the past. We shouldn’t assume that any words prophet speaks is sure, and can slack off on our duty that the Lord gave us all. Just because the Lord used him in the past doesn’t mean that he will be using him continually all the time.

Blessings
Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? [Re: Elle] #147394
11/24/12 02:52 AM
11/24/12 02:52 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
A prophet should be recognized as different from other people....the prophet's own life should be a godly one... and to a genuine godly, commandment keeping life.

Let's bring your point with an extreme example.

If Ellen white(or any claimed prophet) conveyed the word received from the Lord without any clothings(behind/but naked) in public -- would you consider that a sure indication that this person is ungodly?

Is there Bible texts that support that a godly life is the test of a prophet?

There is enough to show that had Ellen White been willfully naked in public, she could not be declared to be God's prophet.
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Men and women, supposed to be guided by the Holy Spirit, held meetings in a state of nudity. They talked about holy flesh. They said they were beyond the power of temptation, and they sang, and shouted, and made all manner of noisy demonstrations. These men and women were not bad, but they were deceived and deluded. . . . Satan was moulding the work, and sensuality was the result. The cause of God was dishonored. Truth, sacred truth, was leveled in the dust by human agencies. {NL 51.3}
The authorities of the land interfered, and several of the ring leaders were incarcerated within prison walls. By those who were confined in prison this interference was termed persecution for the truth's sake, and thus truth was clothed with garments spotted with the flesh. . . . I presented the reproof of the Lord regarding this kind of work, showing that its influence was making the truth objectionable and disgusting to the community. . . . {NL 52.1}
I bore my testimony, declaring that these fanatical movements, this din and noise, were inspired by the spirit of Satan, who was working miracles to deceive if possible the very elect. [LETTER 132, 1900. (PORTIONS IN SELECTED MESSAGES, BOOK 2, PP. 36, 37.)] {NL 52.2}

She would have gone against her own counsel, would she not? Here are some of the Bible's words regarding prophets.
Originally Posted By: The Bible
Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart. (Jeremiah 14:14)

And here's another one...
Originally Posted By: The Bible
Jeremiah
8:10 Therefore will I give their wives unto others, [and] their fields to them that shall inherit [them]: for every one from the least even unto the greatest is given to covetousness, from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely.
8:11 For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when [there is] no peace.
8:12 Were they ashamed when they had committed abomination? nay, they were not at all ashamed, neither could they blush: therefore shall they fall among them that fall: in the time of their visitation they shall be cast down, saith the LORD.
8:13 I will surely consume them, saith the LORD: [there shall be] no grapes on the vine, nor figs on the fig tree, and the leaf shall fade; and [the things that] I have given them shall pass away from them.

So if Ellen White were so shameless as to have appeared in public unclad, she would have been represented among the false prophets and others who are mentioned in the passage above.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Are the Writings of Ellen G White Inspired by God? [Re: Green Cochoa] #147403
11/24/12 05:03 AM
11/24/12 05:03 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Why argue against the Bible?

Matt. 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator  dedication 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!