HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 60 of 62 1 2 58 59 60 61 62
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #148994
01/13/13 05:58 PM
01/13/13 05:58 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
You interpret this to say, God aribitrarily punished Nadab and Abihu.

No I don't. I never once have said that God punishes arbitrarily. I believe God punished Nadab and Abihu, yes, but it was far from arbitrary.

God did not destroy Nadab and Abihu. Their own choices did that. But God rewarded those choices with their deserved punishment that justice required and that was required to keep His sanctuary and people pure.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Green Cochoa] #148999
01/13/13 06:40 PM
01/13/13 06:40 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Their "deserved punishment". And why is it deserved? Is it because God makes the rules, and if you break the rules, He will punish you? Or is it that the punishment is a direct consequences of sin? Which is it? Is the punishment intrinsic or imposed? I know your answer. It is imposed. So really, the problem is not with sin, it is with God! Sin just make Him angry, and so he has to execute the sinner.

No, that is not what happens. Look at how Jesus treated Judas. Look at how Jesus died. Even Rosangela admitted (I think) that God did not execute Jesus. Everything - EVERYTHING - we need to know or indeed can know we learn from the life of Jesus.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #149000
01/13/13 06:41 PM
01/13/13 06:41 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Speaking of reading the Bible Green, consider:

1 Chronicles 21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.
2 Samuel 24:1 And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

Which is it? Did Satan provoke David to number Isreal, or did the LORD move David to number Israel? Is Satan the LORD? I don't think so. What do these verses tell us about how to interpret scripture?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #149001
01/13/13 07:15 PM
01/13/13 07:15 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Something was finished before the cross, what was it? You say NOTHING was finished before the crucifixion, but that is not what my Bible says. Certainly not everything was finished before the cross or even after. There is still work to be done. Christ is our High Priest now doing work in the Heavenly Sanctuary in our behalf.

EGW: In the intercessory prayer of Jesus with his Father, he claimed that he had fulfilled the conditions which made it obligatory upon the Father to fulfill his part of the contract made in Heaven, with regard to fallen man. He prayed: "I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. [That is, he had wrought out a righteous character on earth as an example for men to follow.] And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self, with the glory which I had with thee before the world was." In this prayer he farther goes on to state what is comprehended by the work which he has accomplished, and which has given him all those who believe on his name. {6Red 77.3} [quoted as printed]

APL, Christ's prayer had to include the cross in anticipation. Christ's character was still tested on the cross, and through the cross He still (and especially so) revealed God's character to the world. So how can you say His prayer doesn't include the cross?

Quote:
Rosangela says, NO, He did not carry our sins in His body.

APL, the meaning of the phrase is explained in the quote you provided:

Christ made an end of sin, bearing its heavy curse in His own body on the tree, and He hath taken away the curse from all those who believe in Him as a personal Saviour. {1SM 394.3}

Quote:
On the question, did God kill Jesus, Rosangela I think, said no. I would agree if that is so. God destroys no man.

What I said is that sin, in itself, does not cause the agony which leads to the second death. The same is true about God's glory. But both elements, combined, destroy the sinner.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Rosangela] #149003
01/13/13 09:09 PM
01/13/13 09:09 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: EGW
Christ made an end of sin, bearing its heavy curse in His own body on the tree, and He hath taken away the curse from all those who believe in Him as a personal Saviour. {1SM 394.3}

"THE CURSE" dear sister is SIN. The snake was "cursed" above all cattle, Genesis 3:14. The ground was "cursed", Genesis 3:17, and what did it bring forth? Thorns and thistles. Did God create thorns and thistles? NO. Satan did by his genetic engineering: "the curse".

In the earth seared and marred by the curse, in the briers, the thistles, the thorns, the tares, we may read the law of condemnation; but in the delicate color and perfume of the flowers, we may learn that God still loves us, that His mercy is not wholly withdrawn from the earth (RH Nov. 8, 1898). {1BC 1085.10}

in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; in the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return." Genesis 3:17-19. {Ed 26.1}

Although the earth was blighted with the curse, nature was still to be man's lesson book. It could not now represent goodness only; for evil was everywhere present, marring earth and sea and air with its defiling touch. Where once was written only the character of God, the knowledge of good, was now written also the character of Satan, the knowledge of evil. From nature, which now revealed the knowledge of good and evil, man was continually to receive warning as to the results of sin. {Ed 26.2}

In drooping flower and falling leaf Adam and his companion witnessed the first signs of decay. Vividly was brought to their minds the stern fact that every living thing must die. Even the air, upon which their life depended, bore the seeds of death. {Ed 26.3}

Continually they were reminded also of their lost dominion. Among the lower creatures Adam had stood as king, and so long as he remained loyal to God, all nature acknowledged his rule; but when he transgressed, this dominion was forfeited. The spirit of rebellion, to which he himself had given entrance, extended throughout the animal creation. Thus not only the life of man, but the nature of the beasts, the trees of the forest, the grass of the field, the very air he breathed, all told the sad lesson of the knowledge of evil. {Ed 26.4}

But man was not abandoned to the results of the evil he had chosen. In the sentence pronounced upon Satan was given an intimation of redemption. "I will put enmity between thee and the woman," God said, "and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." Genesis 3:15. This sentence, spoken in the hearing of our first parents, was to them a promise. Before they heard of the thorn and the thistle, of the toil and sorrow that must be their portion, or of the dust to which they must return, they listened to words that could not fail of giving them hope. All that had been lost by yielding to Satan could be regained through Christ. {Ed 27.1}
This intimation also nature repeats to us. Though marred by sin, it speaks not only of creation but of redemption. Though the earth bears testimony to the curse in the evident signs of decay, it is still rich and beautiful in the tokens of life-giving power. The trees cast off their leaves, only to be robed with fresher verdure; the flowers die, to spring forth in new beauty; and in every manifestation of creative power is held out the assurance that we may be created anew in "righteousness and holiness of truth." Ephesians 4:24, margin. Thus the very objects and operations of nature that bring so vividly to mind our great loss become to us the messengers of hope. {Ed 27.2}

As far as evil extends, the voice of our Father is heard, bidding His children see in its results the nature of sin, warning them to forsake the evil, and inviting them to receive the good. {Ed 27.3}

The curse is SIN. Sin is now in EVERY living thing, plant and animal. The "seeds of death" are in the very air that we breath!!! Christ bore the curse, He bore OUR SIN, in His body on the tree. This is a literal statement. Sin is real, it is physical, it is the cause of ALL disease and death. Sin is totally abhorent. And yet we are blind to its nature. And Satan would have it so. See {GC 569.1}

Genesis 3:14 And the LORD God said to the serpent, Because you have done this, you are cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; on your belly shall you go, and dust shall you eat all the days of your life:

Would you like to see the science that proves this? It is amazing. Mobile genetic elements have modified the HOX genes, the genes that lay out an organisms body plan, "creating" a snake. Worldly scientists call this evolution. But it is not. It is genetic engineering, which has modified the genome. It is sin. Does EGW support this idea? Where do you think I found it??? It is pervasive in her writing!!!

But if there was one sin above another which called for the destruction of the race by the flood, it was the base crime of amalgamation of man and beast which defaced the image of God, and caused confusion everywhere. {3SG 64.1} I have many quotes, 75+ pages last I counted, that support what I am saying.

Yes, Jesus literally carried our sin in His body, 1 Peter 2:24. True statement.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #149006
01/13/13 09:57 PM
01/13/13 09:57 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
I find it difficult to take part in your discussion now because one of the most important element in salvation is missing in this discussion, making it extremely difficult to come to an agreement.

What this element is, is not mine to reveal. You will have to discover it for yourselves, so keep on trying.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Johann] #149018
01/14/13 09:28 AM
01/14/13 09:28 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Johann
I find it difficult to take part in your discussion now because one of the most important element in salvation is missing in this discussion, making it extremely difficult to come to an agreement.

What this element is, is not mine to reveal. You will have to discover it for yourselves, so keep on trying.

Love.

Understanding the distinction between "kill" and "murder" would help us to incorporate the concept of "love" into the salvation picture and/or understanding "love" would help us to comprehend this distinction.

But alas, I have so little time, and I shall soon be away a few weeks. Enjoy the discussion in my absence, and I'll try to rejoin it upon my return.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #149024
01/14/13 04:35 PM
01/14/13 04:35 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
APL,

The curse of sin is its penalty - suffering, anguish and death.

Jesus gave his life to save lost man from the curse or penalty he merited by transgression. He by humbling himself exalted man. He became the stepping-stone to elevate man, that he might lay hold of the virtue of his blood, keep God's law, and be brought back to eat of the fruit of the tree of life to which Adam and Eve forfeited all right. {LS88 340.2}

And because I am a sinner I am entitled to come to Christ. I am sinful and polluted, but He suffered humiliation and death, and exhausted the curse that belongs to me. {1SM 325.1}

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Rosangela] #149025
01/14/13 05:14 PM
01/14/13 05:14 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
APL,

The curse of sin is its penalty - suffering, anguish and death.

Jesus gave his life to save lost man from the curse or penalty he merited by transgression. He by humbling himself exalted man. He became the stepping-stone to elevate man, that he might lay hold of the virtue of his blood, keep God's law, and be brought back to eat of the fruit of the tree of life to which Adam and Eve forfeited all right. {LS88 340.2}

And because I am a sinner I am entitled to come to Christ. I am sinful and polluted, but He suffered humiliation and death, and exhausted the curse that belongs to me. {1SM 325.1}

Sin and the curse it brings are synonymous. Understand that ALL LIFE is affected by the curse. Does a tree "anguish"? The falling leaves are a result of the curse, the result of sin. Where you have sin, you have death. And that death does not need to be judicially executed, externally imposed. The consequences are intrinsic. And this is seen all around us in nature which testifies that the wages of sin is death, not execution.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #149026
01/14/13 05:46 PM
01/14/13 05:46 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
"kill" and "murder".

John 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said to them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Christ upheld the Law of Moses with the person taken in adultery. The law demanded the adulterer to be stoned to death. The law also demanded that the accuser be the first to cast a stone! Deuteronomy 13:9; 17:7. Jesus continues, John 8:10-11 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said to her, Woman, where are those your accusers? has no man condemned you? 11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said to her, Neither do I condemn you: go, and sin no more. Does God condemn us? No. Is there consequences for our sin? You bet there is. How is God involved in the consequences? John 5:14 Afterward Jesus finds him in the temple, and said to him, Behold, you are made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come to you.

It is educational to read EGW definition of the 6th commandment.
Originally Posted By: EGW/PP
Satan was "a murderer from the beginning" (John 8:44); and as soon as he had obtained power over the human race, he not only prompted them to hate and slay one another, but, the more boldly to defy the authority of God, he made the violation of the sixth commandment a part of their religion. {PP 337.2}

By perverted conceptions of divine attributes, heathen nations were led to believe human sacrifices necessary to secure the favor of their deities; and the most horrible cruelties have been perpetrated under the various forms of idolatry. Among these was the practice of causing their children to pass through the fire before their idols. When one of them came through this ordeal unharmed, the people believed that their offerings were accepted; the one thus delivered was regarded as specially favored by the gods, was loaded with benefits, and ever afterward held in high esteem; and however aggravated his crimes, he was never punished. But should one be burned in passing through the fire, his fate was sealed; it was believed that the anger of the gods could be appeased only by taking the life of the victim, and he was accordingly offered as a sacrifice. In times of great apostasy these abominations prevailed, to some extent, among the Israelites. {PP 337.3}

"Thou shalt not kill." {PP 308.4}

All acts of injustice that tend to shorten life; the spirit of hatred and revenge, or the indulgence of any passion that leads to injurious acts toward others, or causes us even to wish them harm (for "whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer"); a selfish neglect of caring for the needy or suffering; all self-indulgence or unnecessary deprivation or excessive labor that tends to injure health--all these are, to a greater or less degree, violations of the sixth commandment. {PP 308.5}
WOW - the 6th commandment is very broad indeed. If you accuse another which demands the death penalty, then YOU are the one to inflict it. That is the law of Moses. But it is not interesting that Jesus often bypasses the law of moses? Take the situation of divorce! Moses had laws for divorce. And when questioned about it, Jesus bypasses the law of Moses and goes all the way back to Creation, for it is written, Matthew 19:7-8 They say to him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorce, and to put her away? 8 He said to them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

Is that not interesting. God met the people where they were and gave them laws which were not ideal. Why? Because of the hardness of their hearts.

Is it not also interesting how Jesus responded to those that abused Him and what he taught us how to respond to others that abuse us? Matthew 5:38-42 You have heard that it has been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say to you, That you resist not evil: but whoever shall smite you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if any man will sue you at the law, and take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. 41 And whoever shall compel you to go a mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him that asks you, and from him that would borrow of you turn not you away.

Page 60 of 62 1 2 58 59 60 61 62

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!