HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 6 61 62
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: dedication] #146905
11/13/12 05:41 AM
11/13/12 05:41 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: asygo
If Jesus was slain from the foundation of the world, does that mean He did not have to die on the cross since He was already slain?

When one recognizes that during the creation of the world God embedded prophetically the message that He would come during the fourth "day" (representing a millennium), it makes perfect sense that He was slated to be slain from the foundation of the world. When God sees the future as if it were history, the use of past tense is not troublesome for even a future event. However, in John the Revelator's case, it was already a past event, and so from his vantage point the past tense was to be expected, for the prophecy had already been fulfilled.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Green Cochoa] #146912
11/13/12 06:36 AM
11/13/12 06:36 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
dedication - what is your definition of forgive?

Do note, there are two Greek words in the NT that are translated forgive, and they do not mean the same thing. 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." The Greek word translated "forgive" in this verse is ἀφίημι, Aphiemi. And the "forgiveness" in this case does not happen in the offended (God), but in the offender - us, sinners. Confessing our sins to God does not change God in any way! The "forgiveness" God offers is something that happens in us. And it is not a legal transaction.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Green Cochoa] #146913
11/13/12 06:37 AM
11/13/12 06:37 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA

Do note, there are two Greek words in the NT that are translated forgive, and they do not mean the same thing. 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." The Greek word translated "forgive" in this verse is ἀφίημι, Aphiemi. And the "forgiveness" in this case does not happen in the offended (God), but in the offender - us, sinners. Confessing our sins to God does not change God in any way! The "forgiveness" God offers is something that happens in us. And it is not a legal transaction.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #146915
11/13/12 06:48 AM
11/13/12 06:48 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL

The "aphiemi" forgiveness is also for those whom God has reserved unto Himself, and is the word used for those "left" in the so-called "rapture" texts. We want to be "left" (forgiven) not "taken." That's probably leaning toward topic, but aphiemi is an interesting word just the same.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

PS--I can post HTML here, but am not able to edit others' posts in threads I don't moderate. Sorry. One of the other mods will have to fix the HTML...too bad HTML-entities cannot be always converted automatically. -- GC

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Green Cochoa] #146920
11/13/12 09:39 AM
11/13/12 09:39 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Quote:
This same covenant was renewed to Abraham in the promise, “In thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed.” Genesis 22:18. This promise pointed to Christ. So Abraham understood it (see Galatians 3:8, 16), and he trusted in Christ for the forgiveness of sins. It was this faith that was accounted unto him for righteousness. The covenant with Abraham also maintained the authority of God’s law. {PP 370.3}

Did Abraham understand this as a legal transaction? Galatians speaks of justification as forgiveness.

Last edited by Johann; 11/13/12 09:44 AM.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #146925
11/13/12 03:43 PM
11/13/12 03:43 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
asygo - did you read my reply and references? I don't think so.

I did, but they don't answer my questions. If someone like me, who sees much truth in the theory, cannot get a simple and straight answer from you, a proponent who learned it directly from its most prominent teacher, it is no wonder that people are confused about it. Is it really so convoluted that two simple questions - Was Enoch healed? Did Jesus have to die on the cross? - cannot be answered with a simple Yes or No? If this is the Gospel, what hope have you of teaching it to your children?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Johann] #146927
11/13/12 04:37 PM
11/13/12 04:37 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Galatians 3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Is justification a legal transaction? Or is it a trust(faith)/healing process?

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: dedication] #146928
11/13/12 04:44 PM
11/13/12 04:44 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Dear APL,

you may have been a student of Dr Bacchiocchi but he was my friend and I knew him very well. We corresponded up until my last vision of Jesus sweating blood in Gethsemane, just before he died, so don't give me your condescending attitude please. I Cried when my friend Barb told me he died. His last email to me must have taken him days to write, illustrating all of the positive elements to the Spirit of Prophecy that he knew that corresponded with my vision. Stopping short of saying my dreams and visions were inspired.

He did not agree with me about the 7 kings of Rev 17 until later before he died, when he seemed to make concessions, but he did agree with me on the Red Heifer.

By reading your response, I just cannot fathom how anyone in the Spirit of Christ would even attempt to take on our faith on such basic levels, as do men who camp out on websites like this thinking they have more truth than our own prophet.

There are several words that are translated 'forgive' or forgiven.

'nasa' means to carry the sin. Like the high priest carried the sins of Israel into the most Holy Place.

'calach' means to absolve or pardon without demanding justice.

'kaphar' means to cover over or propitiate.

The one used in conjunction with forgiveness of sins committed against God is 'aphieemi' which means 'to send away' to blot them out, which is direct reference to Atonement and the Scapegoat.

The next is 'apolyo' which means to 'let go of'.

And the last is 'charizomai' which means to freely bestow.

So which 'forgive' do you want to talk about?

The 10 commandment law demands the death of the sinner, Jesus had the authority to die in our place, and He did so we could be forgiven for our sins, which means, so the record of sin could be expunged. Mercy met justice in Christ.

It is not the same kind of forgiveness that we exercise against people who have sinned against us.

We do not have the authority to demand death for something done against us unless we died in the act.

The law does have the right, and will condemn anyone who has not claimed the faith of Jesus.

If someone sins against us, we are commanded as faithful servants to 'Calach' the sinner. This is on the personal level, showing our love for God in contrast to the wickedness of the world.

The law DEMANDS justice. The record is immovable, if there is any un-forgiven sins on our record, then death is mandatory. Non negotiable. Jesus came to show this to us by dying on the cross, so He could forgive us individually if we come to Him and claim His gift.

So to answer your question, true forgiveness is conditional.

"While the soldiers were doing their fearful work, Jesus prayed for His enemies, “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.” His mind passed from His own suffering to the sin of His persecutors, and the terrible retribution that would be theirs. No curses were called down upon the soldiers who were handling Him so roughly. No vengeance was invoked upon the priests and rulers, who were gloating over the accomplishment of their purpose. Christ pitied them in their ignorance and guilt. He breathed only a plea for their forgiveness,—“for they know not what they do.” {DA 744.2}
Had they known that they were putting to torture One who had come to save the sinful race from eternal ruin, they would have been seized with remorse and horror. But their ignorance did not remove their guilt; for it was their privilege to know and accept Jesus as their Saviour. Some of them would yet see their sin, and repent, and be converted. Some by their impenitence would make it an impossibility for the prayer of Christ to be answered for them. Yet, just the same, God’s purpose was reaching its fulfillment. Jesus was earning the right to become the advocate of men in the Father’s presence. {DA 744.3}

You need to be very careful how you fold this idea into our faith and claim it to from God. You seem to get further and further from the foundation of our faith every time we talk.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #146929
11/13/12 04:47 PM
11/13/12 04:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
M: APL, what do you make of the following insights:

Quote:
Let the converting power of God be experienced in the heart of the individual [church] members, and then we shall see the deep moving of the Spirit of God. Mere forgiveness of sin is not the sole result of the death of Jesus. He made the infinite sacrifice not only that sin might be removed, but that human nature might be restored, rebeautified, reconstructed from its ruins, and made fit for the presence of God. (3SM 154)

1. Mere forgiveness of sin is not the sole result of the death of Jesus.
2. He made the infinite sacrifice not only that sin might be removed . . .
3. . . . but that human nature might be restored, rebeautified, reconstructed from its ruins, and made fit for the presence of God.

A: I thought you presenting this quote was fabulous. That is why I quoted it above, and shared it with one of my study partners. Also why I included this quote which I will repeat:

Quote:
The atonement of Christ is not a mere skillful way to have our sins pardoned; it is a divine remedy for the cure of transgression and the restoration of spiritual health. It is the Heaven-ordained means by which the righteousness of Christ may be not only upon us but in our hearts and characters (Letter 406, 1906). {6BC 1074.2}

A: The death of Christ is not for "mere forgiveness" and is not a "mere skillful way to have our sins pardoned". It is a divine remedy for the cure of transgression. The means that the righteousness of Christ is both upon us and in our characters. It is the restoration, the reconstruction of our ruined nature. Mere forgiveness does not do this. We need to be born again. A total transformation.

True, merely forgiving sinners cannot cause the radical transformation that occurs when people experience rebirth in God's appointed way. Knowing that Jesus loves them and is very willing to pardon and save them certainly serves to motivate them to confess and repent. However, law and justice demand death for sin.

Does confessing and repenting satisfy the demands of law and justice? Is confession and repentance the cause, source of salvation? Is being genuinely sorry sufficient? Or, does law and justice demand being genuinely sorry and never sinning again?

You wrote, "The death of Christ is not for mere forgiveness". Ellen White wrote, "Mere forgiveness of sin is not the sole result of the death of Jesus. He made the infinite sacrifice not only that sin might be removed". In other words, forgiveness and removal of sin is one of the reasons Jesus lived and died the perfect life and death. The question is - Why was it a reason? Why did He have to live and die?

1. “By His word God has bound Himself to execute the penalty of the law on all transgressors.” (6BC 1095)

2. “In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22)

3. “Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Mountain Man] #146932
11/13/12 06:23 PM
11/13/12 06:23 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: mm
3. “Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man’s stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon.” (1SM 340)
Read the next few paragraphs!!
Originally Posted By: EGW
Man through sin has been severed from the life of God. His soul is palsied through the machinations of Satan, the author of sin. Of himself he is incapable of sensing sin, incapable of appreciating and appropriating the divine nature. Were it brought within his reach there is nothing in it that his natural heart would desire it. The bewitching power of Satan is upon him. All the ingenious subterfuges the devil can suggest are presented to his mind to prevent every good impulse. Every faculty and power given him of God has been used as a weapon against the divine Benefactor. So, although He loves him, God cannot safely impart to him the gifts and blessings He desires to bestow. {1SM 340.2}
But God will not be defeated by Satan. He sent His Son into the world, that through His taking the human form and nature, humanity and divinity combined in Him would elevate man in the scale of moral value with God. {1SM 340.3}
There is no other way for man's salvation. "Without me," says Christ, "ye can do nothing" (John 15:5). Through Christ, and Christ alone, the springs of life can vitalize man's nature, transform his tastes, and set his affections flowing toward heaven. Through the union of the divine with the human nature Christ could enlighten the understanding and infuse His life-giving properties through the soul dead in trespasses and sins. {1SM 341.1}
Is this describing a legal process? No. It is a trust/healing process.
Originally Posted By: mm
2. “In the plan of redemption there must be the shedding of blood, for death must come in consequence of man’s sin.” (CON 22)
Was this a legal requirement? Read the context.
Originally Posted By: EGW
Fallen man, because of his guilt, could no longer come directly before God with his supplications; for his transgression of the divine law had placed an impassable barrier between the holy God and the transgressor. ... {Con 21.3}
Is the impassable barrier a "legal" barrier? I don't think so. It is a real barrier. God is a consuming fire. The sinful could not come into the presence of God and live. Was that because of a legal requirement? Or is there a real problem that must be solved? I see it as the latter!

Yes, the death of Christ was not "merely" for forgiveness of sin, there was a far greater reason.

Page 4 of 62 1 2 3 4 5 6 61 62

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!