HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 17 of 62 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 61 62
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: asygo] #147251
11/21/12 07:11 PM
11/21/12 07:11 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
To jsot - - What is God's wrath? It is clearly outlined in Romans 1.
  • Romans 1:18-32
    18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
    19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God has showed it to them.
    20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
    21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
    22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    23 And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and four footed beasts, and creeping things.
    24 Why God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves:
    25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
    26 For this cause God gave them up to vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
    27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.
    28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
    29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    31 Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
    32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
  • Deuteronomy 32:20-30
    20 'I will no longer help them,' he said; 'then I will see what happens to them, those stubborn, unfaithful people.
    21 With their idols they have made me angry, jealous with their so-called gods, gods that are really not gods. So I will use a so-called nation to make them angry; I will make them jealous with a nation of fools.
    22 My anger will flame up like fire and burn everything on earth. It will reach to the world below and consume the roots of the mountains.
    23 " 'I will bring on them endless disasters and use all my arrows against them.
    24 They will die from hunger and fever; they will die from terrible diseases. I will send wild animals to attack them, and poisonous snakes to bite them.
    25 War will bring death in the streets; terrors will strike in the homes. Young men and young women will die; neither babies nor old people will be spared.
    26 I would have destroyed them completely, so that no one would remember them.
    27 But I could not let their enemies boast that they had defeated my people, when it was I myself who had crushed them.'
    28 "Israel is a nation without sense; they have no wisdom at all.
    29 They fail to see why they were defeated; they cannot understand what happened.
    30 Why were a thousand defeated by one, and ten thousand by only two? The LORD, their God, had abandoned them; their mighty God had given them up.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: asygo] #147252
11/21/12 07:14 PM
11/21/12 07:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: APL
You have not addressed the question I've asked, is God's law 1) prescriptive, 2) proscriptive, or 3) descriptive. Perhaps no one even understands the question. 1) prescriptive, you must live like this, 2) proscriptive, you must not do this and that, and 3) descriptive, this is how life operates.

Here it is:

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Could you please address this: is God's law 1) precriptive, 2) proscriptive, or 3) descriptive?

The following was posted in response to the first time you asked this question:

Quote:
A: Let me ask this question: is God's Law proscriptive, prescriptive, or descriptive?

M: The law is a transcript of God's character. It defines righteousness. It prohibits sinning. It condemns sinning and sinners. It demands death. It points sinners to Jesus as their only hope of pardon and salvation.

Why are you asking this question?

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: asygo] #147253
11/21/12 07:20 PM
11/21/12 07:20 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
APL,

I'm still waiting for your explanation how dogs and trees get Adam's genes.
When did I say they would get "Adam's genes".

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Mountain Man] #147254
11/21/12 07:21 PM
11/21/12 07:21 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
You have not addressed the question I've asked, is God's law 1) prescriptive, 2) proscriptive, or 3) descriptive. Perhaps no one even understands the question. 1) prescriptive, you must live like this, 2) proscriptive, you must not do this and that, and 3) descriptive, this is how life operates.

Here it is:

Could you please address this: is God's law 1) precriptive, 2) proscriptive, or 3) descriptive?

The following was posted in response to the first time you asked this question:

Quote:
A: Let me ask this question: is God's Law proscriptive, prescriptive, or descriptive?

M: The law is a transcript of God's character. It defines righteousness. It prohibits sinning. It condemns sinning and sinners. It demands death. It points sinners to Jesus as their only hope of pardon and salvation.

Why are you asking this question?
OK - I missed it. So you see it as proscriptive as I understand what you wrote.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: asygo] #147255
11/21/12 07:32 PM
11/21/12 07:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Do you know of anyone who has experienced the kind of rebirth, conversion you described above (full of agape love, free of selfishness)?

A: No, I don't think so. Maybe I hang around the wrong people. Or maybe I'm so messed up that I can't recognize it. But then, God's promises are not dependent on my knowledge, or lack of it. And that's a good thing.

Yes, it is a good thing the truth is true with or without our affirmation. However, it is extremely difficult to prove a point without proof; that is, if no one experiences rebirth as you described it, what is the proof your description is true?

Quote:
M: Elsewhere you've argued people are born again with inbred sin, inward corruption, inherited sinful tendencies which stain everything they cherish, think, say, and do with sin and selfishness while they are abiding in Jesus.

A: You've argued the same thing. You just call those elements holiness instead of sin.

Oops! I must have misstated what I believe about it. Let me set the record straight. I do not believe having inbred sin, inward corruption, inherited sinful tendencies is holiness. However, neither do I believe it is guiltiness. Believers do not incur guilt until they cherish or act them out. Subjecting them to a sanctified will and mind, refusing to act them out, is holiness unto the Lord.

Quote:
M: How are these sordid elements of humanity passed on to infants?

A: I have the same answer today as when you asked me that the last time. I don't know.

They are inherited.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #147256
11/21/12 07:35 PM
11/21/12 07:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
OK - I missed it. So you see it as proscriptive as I understand what you wrote.

Actually, it's all three.

PS - Please address my other posts to you.

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: asygo] #147257
11/21/12 07:45 PM
11/21/12 07:45 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
APL,

• And through man's disobedience a change was wrought in nature itself. Marred by the curse of sin, nature can bear but an imperfect testimony regarding the Creator. It cannot reveal His character in its perfection. {8T 256.1}
  • Although the earth was blighted with the curse, nature was still to be man's lesson book. It could not now represent goodness only; for evil was everywhere present, marring earth and sea and air with its defiling touch. Where once was written only the character of God, the knowledge of good, was now written also the character of Satan, the knowledge of evil. From nature, which now revealed the knowledge of good and evil, man was continually to receive warning as to the results of sin. {Ed 26.2}

In drooping flower and falling leaf Adam and his companion witnessed the first signs of decay. Vividly was brought to their minds the stern fact that every living thing must die. Even the air, upon which their life depended, bore the seeds of death. {Ed 26.3}
See Genesis 3:15. The word translated "seed" is Zera, in the LXX it is Sperma. Look up in BDB or Strongs, we find it means, offspring, children, semen, virile, posterity. It is the genetics. Even the air bears the seeds of death. Don't go into a closed room with someone who has the flu and is coughing. It spreads the "seeds" of the flu around. Hm, EGW has much to say about being in a closed room...
  • Continually they were reminded also of their lost dominion. Among the lower creatures Adam had stood as king, and so long as he remained loyal to God, all nature acknowledged his rule; but when he transgressed, this dominion was forfeited. The spirit of rebellion, to which he himself had given entrance, extended throughout the animal creation. Thus not only the life of man, but the nature of the beasts, the trees of the forest, the grass of the field, the very air he breathed, all told the sad lesson of the knowledge of evil. {Ed 26.4}
    But man was not abandoned to the results of the evil he had chosen. In the sentence pronounced upon Satan was given an intimation of redemption. "I will put enmity between thee and the woman," God said, "and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel." Genesis 3:15. This sentence, spoken in the hearing of our first parents, was to them a promise. Before they heard of the thorn and the thistle, of the toil and sorrow that must be their portion, or of the dust to which they must return, they listened to words that could not fail of giving them hope. All that had been lost by yielding to Satan could be regained through Christ. {Ed 27.1}
    This intimation also nature repeats to us. Though marred by sin, it speaks not only of creation but of redemption. Though the earth bears testimony to the curse in the evident signs of decay, it is still rich and beautiful in the tokens of life-giving power. The trees cast off their leaves, only to be robed with fresher verdure; the flowers die, to spring forth in new beauty; and in every manifestation of creative power is held out the assurance that we may be created anew in "righteousness and holiness of truth." Ephesians 4:24, margin. Thus the very objects and operations of nature that bring so vividly to mind our great loss become to us the messengers of hope. {Ed 27.2}
    As far as evil extends, the voice of our Father is heard, bidding His children see in its results the nature of sin, warning them to forsake the evil, and inviting them to receive the good. {Ed 27.3}

Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #147259
11/21/12 08:49 PM
11/21/12 08:49 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
When did I say they would get "Adam's genes".

Do dogs sin? Do trees sin? How were they damaged by sin?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: APL] #147261
11/21/12 11:49 PM
11/21/12 11:49 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Continually they were reminded also of their lost dominion. Among the lower creatures Adam had stood as king, and so long as he remained loyal to God, all nature acknowledged his rule; but when he transgressed, this dominion was forfeited. The spirit of rebellion, to which he himself had given entrance, extended throughout the animal creation. Thus not only the life of man, but the nature of the beasts, the trees of the forest, the grass of the field, the very air he breathed, all told the sad lesson of the knowledge of evil. {Ed 26.4}

How did Adam manage to contaminate all nature with his sin if sin is a genetic disorder? Air doesn't have genes. And the microbes in the air are not descended from Adam. The genetic theory of sin is flawed if we are to believe the Bible and SOP.

What inspiration does tell us is that sin is passed on, not by genetics, but by the spirit. Look at your quote again. The spirit of rebellion is what Adam passed. That is where sin is. And considering he passed it on to creatures that are outside his genetic pool, I doubt that you can find sin in the genes. You can surely find sin's consequences in there, but not sin itself.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Moral Influence Theory versus Penal Substitution. [Re: Mountain Man] #147262
11/21/12 11:54 PM
11/21/12 11:54 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
M: Do you know of anyone who has experienced the kind of rebirth, conversion you described above (full of agape love, free of selfishness)?

A: No, I don't think so. Maybe I hang around the wrong people. Or maybe I'm so messed up that I can't recognize it. But then, God's promises are not dependent on my knowledge, or lack of it. And that's a good thing.

Yes, it is a good thing the truth is true with or without our affirmation. However, it is extremely difficult to prove a point without proof; that is, if no one experiences rebirth as you described it, what is the proof your description is true?

Search the Scriptures to see if these things are so. Do not follow in Eve's footsteps of trusting your senses above trusting God's word. Let the sure word of prophecy be your guide, whether or not you see it with your own eyes.

My father says the same thing regarding character perfection. He says he knows that God will save anyone who claims His name, even if that person continues to choose to sin everyday. He says a person is saved even if he does not follow Christ's example and instructions and commands. He says he will change his mind as soon as he finds a perfect person who does not sin.

Rather than trusting God's word, he wants to see it first. To trust your own judgment to that degree is a form of pride of life.

Last edited by asygo; 11/21/12 11:54 PM.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 17 of 62 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 61 62

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!