HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,125 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Green Cochoa] #148555
12/30/12 09:21 PM
12/30/12 09:21 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The enemy of righteousness left nothing undone in his effort to stop the work committed to the Lord's builders. But God "left not Himself without witness." Acts 14:17. Workers were raised up who ably defended the faith once delivered to the saints. History bears record to the fortitude and heroism of these men. Like the apostles, many of them fell at their post, but the building of the temple went steadily forward. The workmen were slain, but the work advanced. The Waldenses, John Wycliffe, Huss and Jerome, Martin Luther and Zwingli, Cranmer, Latimer, and Knox, the Huguenots, John and Charles Wesley, and a host of others brought to the foundation material that will endure throughout eternity. And in later years those who have so nobly endeavored to promote the circulation of God's word, and those who by their service in heathen lands have prepared the way for the proclamation of the last great message--these also have helped to rear the structure. {AA 598.1}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

This is really a remarkable quotation because here Ellen White praises all of these Christian giants, none of whom had the complete message as later proclaimed by the Seventh-day Adventist Church, yet she states they "prepared the way for the proclamation of the last great message".

In my estimate there is no greater difference between the KJV, the RSV, the NIV, and many other Bible translations, as there is between our understanding of Scripture and those Reformers Ellen G White praised in the quotation above. Why should we not rather be grateful to our Lord for providing us with His Word than lamenting the small variations it takes great research to discover?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #148563
12/31/12 01:58 AM
12/31/12 01:58 AM
Alpendave  Offline
Banned Member
Deer Park, WA
Though there are a number of translations that take too much liberty with paraphrasing the text, among the literal translations, what matters is the perspective of the one using them. I would say that one motive demonstrated here is a desire to stifle all religious individuality that varies with one's own practice and opinion. For such people, it is imperative to discredit versions that differ from the KJV since their extreme position on preservation of the scripture (essential to justifying meddling in other people's religious experience) is undermined by the idea that God has providentially allowed such variations to exist. These people will comb through volumes of Sister White's writings to cherry-pick statements whereby they can maneuver into an authoritative position over their brethren.

As a side note, here is something interesting on the influence of the evil Douay-Rheims influence on the KJV translation.

Douay-Rheims influence on the KJV.

Originally Posted By: D. Kutilek
But perhaps the most definitive “proof” that the KJV is in fact a “Catholic Bible” is the undeniable use by the translators of the Roman Catholic Rheims NT. The translators of the 1881 ERV NT were frank about the KJV’s use of the Rheims NT. They said in their “Preface” to the New Testament that the text of the KJV “shows evident traces of the influence of a Version not specified in the rules, the Rhemish, made from the Latin Vulgate, but by scholars conversant with the Greek original.” (p. VI). And indeed this influence is pervasive. Dr. J. G. Carleton in his work The Part of Rheims in the Making of the English Bible (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1902. 259 pp.) has shown that the KJV has taken some 2,803 readings, besides 140 marginal readings--nearly 3,000 in all--from the Roman Catholic (Rheims) translation of 1582 (Carleton’s book was first brought to my attention by Lemuel J. Hopkins-James in his The Celtic Gospels: Their Story and Their Text by. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1934; reprint 2001, p. xx). After a brief but helpful survey of English Bible versions before 1611, Carleton explains his methodology, and then presents his findings in extended lists, meticulously prepared, showing precisely where and how the KJV was influenced in its vocabulary, phraseology and grammar by the Roman Catholic Rheims NT, an influence that literally affects every page of the KJV NT.

Consider two summary statements by Carleton: “The Tables annexed give the sum total of the issue of my inquiry. They speak for themselves as to the intimate relationship, hitherto insufficiently acknowledged, which exists between the Authorized and Rhemish Versions. If one were to assess the degree of obligation due from the former to the latter, it might, I think, fairly be said, that while the Translation of 1611 in its general framework and language is essentially the daughter of the Bishops’ Bible, which in its turn had inherited the nature and lineaments of the noble line of English versions issuing from the parent stock of Tyndale’s, yet with respect to the distinctive touches which the Authorized New Testament has derived from the earlier translations, her debt to Roman Catholic Rheims is hardly inferior to her debt to puritan Geneva,” (p. 31). And again, “As a set-off against these improvements, in which A[uthorized] has followed R[heims], we observe instances, not a few, in which A[uthorized] has been led by R[heims] into translations distinctly inferior to the earlier renderings, to which the Revised Version has frequently returned,” (p. 53).

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Daryl] #148574
12/31/12 04:03 PM
12/31/12 04:03 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Daryl
So the question still is: KJV or RSV, or NIV, or whatever, does it really matter?
It doesn't matter. What matters is that people read it. I think Dave said it pretty good. Which may mean one should use caution when reading the KJV or at least compare it with others.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Alpendave] #148575
12/31/12 04:06 PM
12/31/12 04:06 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
For the situation the Seventh-day Adventist church is in today, I think the greatest problem for us is how the Roman Catholic influence on the KJV is seen in how their view of a woman is seen in that version and has infiltrated the Roman Catholic view among people in our church who regard themselves as honest.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #148601
01/01/13 11:18 AM
01/01/13 11:18 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Johann
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
The enemy of righteousness left nothing undone in his effort to stop the work committed to the Lord's builders. But God "left not Himself without witness." Acts 14:17. Workers were raised up who ably defended the faith once delivered to the saints. History bears record to the fortitude and heroism of these men. Like the apostles, many of them fell at their post, but the building of the temple went steadily forward. The workmen were slain, but the work advanced. The Waldenses, John Wycliffe, Huss and Jerome, Martin Luther and Zwingli, Cranmer, Latimer, and Knox, the Huguenots, John and Charles Wesley, and a host of others brought to the foundation material that will endure throughout eternity. And in later years those who have so nobly endeavored to promote the circulation of God's word, and those who by their service in heathen lands have prepared the way for the proclamation of the last great message--these also have helped to rear the structure. {AA 598.1}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

This is really a remarkable quotation because here Ellen White praises all of these Christian giants, none of whom had the complete message as later proclaimed by the Seventh-day Adventist Church, yet she states they "prepared the way for the proclamation of the last great message".

In my estimate there is no greater difference between the KJV, the RSV, the NIV, and many other Bible translations, as there is between our understanding of Scripture and those Reformers Ellen G White praised in the quotation above. Why should we not rather be grateful to our Lord for providing us with His Word than lamenting the small variations it takes great research to discover?
If the variations were but that, then there would be little difference, and small reason to lament. But when the chief purpose and the deletions and changes is to take out the divinity or our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, then we must stand firm and give fair warning of the danger at hand.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Rick H] #148615
01/01/13 07:25 PM
01/01/13 07:25 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Johann,

If you're defending the NIV, you're in the minority. Most of our Adventist scholars will freely admit that it is a poor translation. Not doing so opens them up to some sizable problems.

To my perspective, the divinity of Christ is but one of the major points undermined. One of the biggest, in my estimation, is the removal of the moral law and of our obligation to keep it. That is basically a license to sin. To find a license to sin in the Bible is to find damnable heresy in it. The word of God should be pure. "Every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God" is to be our food. The NIV, and perhaps some others, has the audacity to remove a portion of that very verse, abbreviating God's own words, disrespecting the "every word" concept. The translators clearly did not follow the Bible's own guidelines for properly handling the Word of God. Why then should we trust anything in said translation?

I cannot. And I will not be among the number who find themselves compromised in the day of judgment before God's grand tribunal as having promoted such a specious rendition of God's Word.

It matters not whether you or anyone else agrees with me. What matters is that I have been a true and faithful servant of God, and that I have acted according to the Light I have been given. God has revealed to me problems with these perverse translations...how then should I turn my back upon the Light and reject it? I shall not. Nor shall I be ashamed in my decision to uphold the pure truth and to preserve it to the best of my ability.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #148616
01/01/13 07:35 PM
01/01/13 07:35 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
For the situation the Seventh-day Adventist church is in today, I think the greatest problem for us is how the Roman Catholic influence on the KJV is seen in how their view of a woman is seen in that version and has infiltrated the Roman Catholic view among people in our church who regard themselves as honest.

If you want the Bible to say women should be ordained, and if you believe that all translations are created equal, why not just make your own translation and be sure to implement your view in it? Of course, that's just the sort of thing that has happened with some of our modern translations. And I'm sure you might even find one nowadays that permits homosexuality, if you are so inclined.

"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Green Cochoa] #148633
01/01/13 10:47 PM
01/01/13 10:47 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
I was replying to the post by Dave and therefore wrote in that context. I have no special burden to prefer the NIV. Why don't you use the Bible you are most comfortable with?

I have yet to see a Bible through which it is impossible to teach all of the doctrines of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Perhaps you can convince me there is such a Bible?

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Johann] #148637
01/01/13 11:24 PM
01/01/13 11:24 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I was replying to the post by Dave and therefore wrote in that context. I have no special burden to prefer the NIV. Why don't you use the Bible you are most comfortable with?

I have yet to see a Bible through which it is impossible to teach all of the doctrines of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Perhaps you can convince me there is such a Bible?

Perhaps I should have quoted the post I was responding to. It was post #148555, where you quoted me, not Dave. Now, if you want to reply to Dave by quoting my post, that's just fine. But I hope you won't be surpised if I misunderstand to whom you were responding.

This part of your post was most specifically what I was responding to: "In my estimate there is no greater difference between the KJV, the RSV, the NIV, and many other Bible translations, as there is between our understanding of Scripture and those Reformers Ellen G White praised in the quotation above."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: King James Version or RSV or NIV, does it matter? [Re: Green Cochoa] #148647
01/02/13 02:18 AM
01/02/13 02:18 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
When using a different version of the Bible there are times when I am not able to verify my point with a text that I am used to. Until now I have in such cases been able to use a different text in the Bible to support our doctrines even better than by the old text.

I think we are generally using an important method in our Bible study which means that we do not base our important doctrines on a single text but on a combination of texts to be certain we understand the true meaning of the Bible.

Page 2 of 23 1 2 3 4 22 23

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!