HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,598
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,212 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Linda Shelton's New Job [Re: Rosangela] #148485
12/28/12 06:13 PM
12/28/12 06:13 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:
I will say again: The CHURCH MANUAL serves to advise. It is not always followed.

But it should. There is no purpose in making rules that won't be followed. In my opinion she shouldn't have requested her removal from membership, and in case she was unduly removed, her reinstatement should have been done via the conference (p. 67), or even union conference, or division.

As I stated before her actions have now been vindicated by the Division.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Linda Shelton's New Job [Re: Rosangela] #148491
12/28/12 09:02 PM
12/28/12 09:02 PM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
. . .in case she was unduly removed, her reinstatement should have been done via the conference (p. 67), or even union conference, or division.

And, you are entitled to your opinion.

However,it is not as simple as you would make it seem to be.

1) The process that you mention is a complex one. When it works, it provides for reinstatement, as you have said. It does not annul tha action of the congration that disfellowshilped the person. As a result ofthe actionthat Linda took, she can truthfull say that she was never disfellowshiped, which was important to her.

2) I remind you that the CHURCH MANUAL states that a person can be accepted on Profession of Faith, who has had their membership withdrawn (that is what Linda did) but ". . . who in reality has remained faithful to his/her Christian commitment."

It was the view of those who looked carefully at her case that she had not violated norms that would require that she bedisfellowshiped.

Therefore, she met, whether you agree or not, the standards of the CHURCH MANUAL to be accepted by Profession of Faith into the membership of the SDA Chruch.

This was a good resolution for all concerned. There is not real proces to overturn the decision of a local congregation to disfellwoshilp a member--only a process to reinstate. Linda was not disfellowshiped. She was not disciplined. There is no action by her former congregation to overturn.

As for Linda, she remains a recognized member.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Linda Shelton's New Job [Re: Gregory] #148494
12/29/12 01:32 AM
12/29/12 01:32 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am a strong believer in following the Church Manual, but I can also accept the fact that there may need to be an exception in the way it is followed, such as in this instance.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Linda Shelton's New Job [Re: Daryl] #148503
12/29/12 12:57 PM
12/29/12 12:57 PM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Daryl, rules must have flexability. God considers the overall situation. The Bible is clear that God does not charge us with sin for issues that the Holy Spirit has NOT convicted us on. In our imperfect world, we need a way to correct injustice. Our corrections are often imperfect, but they are the best that we are able to do.

I mentioned earlier a situation where a member was disfellowslhiped on a Wednesday and voted into membership on Profession of Faith the following Sabbath. That situation was horiffic. For reasons of privacy I cannot publish the details. If I were to do so here, I am confident that people reading my post would contact me privately to ask if there was any way thay could help out.

Well, this is a time when things are going well. Individual members of the congregation that accepted this person into membership by Profession of Faith have responded to the need. Several members have personally each spent hundreds of dollars to provide very neded assistance. Ongoing attempts are being made to provide at no cost to the member assistance that is needed.

This is not being done for someone who has been associated with this congregation for a long period of time. This is being done for a person who has been associated with this congregation for a few weeks. This person showed up on our proverbabal doorsteps as a brand-new SDA who was doing everything in their power to resolve the situation that they were in.

Individual members of the congregation realized that this was not the time to discipline an imperfect, young, SDA; rather it was at time to heed the message of Christ in Matthew 25, beginning with verse 31. Those members continue to respond.

Rules must have flexability.

Sometimes rigid humans do the right thing and are flexable.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Linda Shelton's New Job [Re: Gregory] #148514
12/29/12 06:24 PM
12/29/12 06:24 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
We must never forget the case where men came to Christ with the question:

- Our rules say that this women should be stoned.

Did Jesus tell them to follow the Church Manual issued by Moses? In stead he said he invited the faultless to cast the first stone. Is this doctrine of Christ incorporated in our way of thinking - or into our rules? Where is our faith and trust in Jesus Christ?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Linda Shelton's New Job [Re: Gregory] #148518
12/30/12 12:29 AM
12/30/12 12:29 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
The process that you mention is a complex one. When it works, it provides for reinstatement, as you have said. It does not annul tha action of the congration that disfellowshilped the person. As a result ofthe actionthat Linda took, she can truthfull say that she was never disfellowshiped, which was important to her.

Sorry, in my language the same term would be applied to both situations and in the minds of the members here there would be no difference between the person being removed from membership by the church and the person asking to be removed. Also, we would interpret someone's request to be removed as an admission of guilt.

Re: Linda Shelton's New Job [Re: Rosangela] #148520
12/30/12 03:23 AM
12/30/12 03:23 AM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
As a pastor, I would not see it as an admission of guilt.

Rather, I would see it as a broken relationship and I would want to know more about how and why the relationship was broken.

This would stem from two perspectives as a pastor:

1) My view that without assessing blame, a congregation, in its hummaness, may not be able to meet the spiritual needs of everyone.

2) Some congregations are simply spiritually toxic to some people.

One issue that concerns me is that of professional ethics. This comes in part from my professional training and in part from the fact that for years I have been a member of the Ethics Committee in the hospital where I work.

One of the fundamental ethical issues with which we deal is that of a "dual relationship." In considering that,a fundamental part of that issue is that the ethical relationship must look fair, in addition to aactually being fair. It is not required to pass a judgement that the issue was unfair. Rather it must have the appearance of being fair, in addition to actually being fair. In considedring this, norms are established as to what would constitute the appearance of unfairness. Fundamental to this is the basic issue of a "dual relationship."

In the issue of Linda Shelton and the congregation that held her membership, there was no way that it could have met the ethical requirements to determine whether or not she should be disciplined. The problelm of "dual relationships" was throughout that congregation and existed with the pastoral leadership of the congregation.

NOTE: I do not claim that the congregation and the pastors would have been unfair to Linda.

The transfer of her membership to another congregation on Profession of Faith took place under conditions where that transfer was considered by people who did not have a "Dual relationshilp."

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Linda Shelton's New Job [Re: Gregory] #148541
12/30/12 04:55 PM
12/30/12 04:55 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
"The transfer of her membership to another congregation" as you worded it, wasn't done in the normal sense of what is done in the case of a transfer of membership. When a transfer is properly done, the person actually holds membership temporariy in both churches solely for the reason that there isn't to be any interruption of that person's membership during the transfer process.

In the case of Linda Shelton, it seems that there was a segment of time when Linda wasn't a member in any church, resulting from her being removed at her request from one church before becoming a member by profession of faith in another church.

As it seems that Linda was being treated unfairly by the other church, and, as they probably wouldn't have transferred her membership, if it had been requested, there was no other choice to do what was done in this instance.

Daryl smile

Re: Linda Shelton's New Job [Re: Daryl] #148546
12/30/12 06:02 PM
12/30/12 06:02 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
As it seems that Linda was being treated unfairly by the other church, and, as they probably wouldn't have transferred her membership, if it had been requested, there was no other choice to do what was done in this instance.

Yes, there was.

"When a person applies for membership on profession of faith and it is found that he/she still is a member of another congregation, no steps should be taken to receive that person into membership until the church holding the membership grants a letter of transfer. If, after the process of transfer is
followed (see p. 52), a church refuses to grant a letter of transfer and the member feels the letter has been unjustly denied, the member may appeal to the conference committee" (p. 51).

What she did wasn't the normal procedure, and that's why the division found it necessary to vindicate her.

Re: Linda Shelton's New Job [Re: Rosangela] #148548
12/30/12 07:55 PM
12/30/12 07:55 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good point, Rosangela, except that I believe the president of that conference was on 3ABN's Board of Directors at that time, as well as one or more other members of 3ABN's Board of Directors, so it is possible that Linda Shelton also didn't think she would have received a fair hearing from them.
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Quote:

Yes, there was.

"When a person applies for membership on profession of faith and it is found that he/she still is a member of another congregation, no steps should be taken to receive that person into membership until the church holding the membership grants a letter of transfer. If, after the process of transfer is
followed (see p. 52), a church refuses to grant a letter of transfer and the member feels the letter has been unjustly denied, the member may appeal to the conference committee" (p. 51).

What she did wasn't the normal procedure, and that's why the division found it necessary to vindicate her.

Daryl smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/28/24 02:30 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!