HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,263 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Elle] #148725
01/04/13 04:11 PM
01/04/13 04:11 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Elle
Well, it looks like I should write it as "Di-u" when I use it.

_|_, it looks like you just randomly replaced a letter with a hyphen. I looked in wikipedia and could find no reason. Maybe you could give one?

Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: kland] #148735
01/04/13 11:33 PM
01/04/13 11:33 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
Are you talking about transliterating letter for letter without the meaning? Makes no sense and would make no sense.

That is exactly what transliteration is. You have expressed it very will. Transliteration never has any meaning attached to it.

Translation always has meaning and does not substitute letter for letter.

You are entitled to stated that therefore transliteration makes no sense. It has not been my purpose to explain the sense that it makes. But, you can believe that transliteration has sense, in a very narrow sense.

Last edited by Gregory; 01/04/13 11:33 PM.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: kland] #148736
01/04/13 11:45 PM
01/04/13 11:45 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
Well, it looks like I should write it as "Di-u" when I use it. Really I should not use these words at all. When I exchange with my SDA friend that share this to me, we never say G-d, but instead we use the Lord, Father, Jesus or Yah (short for Yahveh).

One would not expect to see an English word written in the form of "G-d." That seems to violate the rules.

However, this issue becomes very complex due to the following:

1) Hebrew is written in both pointed and un-pointed style. The English word "G-d" reflects the un-pointed style which in some writing is considered very important.

2)Some religious Jews demand that in the language they are speaking, (English in this case.) print that word in the "G-d" Form.

3) Some Christians have picked up on the theology behind the Jews mentioned above and also wish for the word to always be printed as "G-d."

Due to these perspectives A writing style for that word has developed that violates some of the common conventions that are applied to normal printing of the English language.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Gregory] #148738
01/05/13 12:49 AM
01/05/13 12:49 AM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Why isn't G-d printed that way in the KJV Bible in English and Di-u in the French Bible?

Take the following for example:
Quote:
John 20:17 KJV Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

John 20:17 FLS (French Louis Segond) Jésus lui dit: Ne me touche pas; car je ne suis pas encore monté vers mon Père. Mais va trouver mes frères, et dis-leur que je monte vers mon Père et votre Père, vers mon Dieu et votre Dieu.

Shouldn't the Bible translators also have written God as G-d and Dieu as Di-u?

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Daryl] #148748
01/05/13 02:00 AM
01/05/13 02:00 AM
E
Elle  Offline OP
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Daryl
Why isn't G-d printed that way in the KJV Bible in English and Di-u in the French Bible?

Take the following for example:
Quote:
John 20:17 KJV Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

John 20:17 FLS (French Louis Segond) Jésus lui dit: Ne me touche pas; car je ne suis pas encore monté vers mon Père. Mais va trouver mes frères, et dis-leur que je monte vers mon Père et votre Père, vers mon Dieu et votre Dieu.

Shouldn't the Bible translators also have written God as G-d and Dieu as Di-u?

Translation happened many centuries later. Already the people didn't study the Law of Moses and had nailed them at the cross. They saw no need to keep them with some few exceptions.

So what you are quoting are words the translator used popular during his time regarless of their pagan origin and the Lord's prohibition expressed in His Laws.

If Christians wouldn't had nailed the laws to the cross and would of known of the Lord wishes not to use pagans words, then they would of used other words for the translation.

Blessings
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Elle] #148758
01/05/13 10:10 AM
01/05/13 10:10 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:

Because the KJV was translated by Christians. It was not translated by Jews.

The origin of the English printing of "G-d" in English writings is clearly tied to Jewish theology and practice, even for those Christians today who advocate the practice of writing "G-d" in English.

In the ancient un-pointed Hebrew MSS the name of God was written by the Tetragrammaton. However, Jewish theology taught that it was a sin to pronounce the name of God. So, a Jewish person reading the Hebrew MSS would pronounce the Hebrew word Adonai instead of the Tetragrammaton.

When Hebrew MSS was written in pointed Hebrew, the vowel points for the Hebrew word referenced by Adonai were added to the Tetragrammaton. The Jewish person reading the Hebrew MSS would pronounce Adonai instead of the Tetragramaton.

Religious Jews, today, who continue that practice, write the word "G-d" in English instead of writing "God."

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Gregory] #148759
01/05/13 10:16 AM
01/05/13 10:16 AM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Elle, in many ways, I think, this discussion has become complicated and confused. In an attempt to make some sense out of it, let us go back to your first post where you said:

Quote:

"G-d is not a name it is a title, but it originates from the teutonic word Gott the germanic pagan sun deity. The word "goths" is a related word referring also to the sun deity, ostrogoths (rising or eastern sun) was an ancient germanic tribe of eastern europe, the visigoths (falling or western sun) inhabited western europe. So the english word "god" is used as a title for YHWH but on ancient times it would be a germanic reference to the sun deity.

I consider you to be totally correct on two points:

1) The word "God" Is a title. It is not a name.
2) The word "God" can clearly be traced back to a title given to multiple heathen gods. This cannot be questioned by anyone who understands the origin of the word.

I entered this discussion due to the fact that I believe that you have given undue emphasis to the relationship of the word "God" to the Germanic sun god. I do not deny that there is a relationship. My position is that the pagan relationship of the word "God" dates back prior to the Germanic peoples and extends to other pagan gods than the sun god.

Simply put, that is where I have argued with you. Could I be wrong? Of course. In an earlier post, I cited reasons for my belief.

Here is where I stated those reasons:

Quote:
The word "god" clearly has a very ancient orgin. It is thought to stem from Proto-Indo-European roots. It has roots in Sanskrit and the Reg Veda. It has roots Greek mythology. It has two root in the Aryan. It has Germanic Indo-Eurpean roots.

In your post, you went back to the Germanic peoples. Scholars general trace the Germanic people to about 400 BC. Yes, they give the Proto-Germanic peoples an earlier date, but you did not refer to the Proto-Germanic peoples. But, that distinction does not matter.

I referenced the Reg Veda, as well as others. The Reg Veda is generally thought by scholars to date back to the time period of 1700 - 1000 BC. This is long before the development of the Germanic peoples. I am correct telling you that the pagan origin of the word "God" is long before any Germanic sun god.

Question: Why do I say the Reg Veda dates to a period that extends from 1700 BC to 1000 BC. Answer: The Reg Veda was not written by one person. It was written by a group of people who lived during the period of 1700 BC through to 1000 BC.

Last edited by Gregory; 01/05/13 12:28 PM.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Gregory] #148762
01/05/13 12:12 PM
01/05/13 12:12 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
More reasons why observant Jews write "G-d:"

The Halakha forbids an observant Jew from ever erasing a printed name for God. On the assumption that any printed item may be destroyed at some point, observant Jews do not place into print anything that might be considered a name of God.

I have already acknowledged that Elle is correct in stating that "God" is a title and not a name. But, religious Jews do not make the distinction between a title and a name for God that she makes. They correctly recognize that titles attributed to God are often considered to be names of God. Therefore, In order to follow the strict teaching on this point of the Halakha, they will often treat titles for God as if they were a name of God, which they may be considered to be.

If you attempt to obtain a listing of the Jewish names of God, you will typically find those listings to contain both titles and names. One such Jewish listing, available on the Internet, contains some 900 names and titles.

If you want to learn more about the prohibition of ever erasing a printed name of God, check out the following;

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Names_of_Gd/About_Writing/about_writing.html

Last edited by Gregory; 01/05/13 12:13 PM.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Gregory] #148763
01/05/13 12:25 PM
01/05/13 12:25 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Elle has expressed concern that the word "God" has been associated with pagan gods. She is correct in that point. "God" has been associated with pagan gods.

The basic meaning of the word "god" is: 1) A being of supernatural powers worshiped by people. 2) An image of a deity, an idol. 3) The ruler of the Universe. 4) The principal object of faith in a monotheistic religion. 5) An object of worship.

These above clearly associate "god" with pagan religion. But, that association is not limited to paganism. It includes the object of Christian worship.

Further, it includes the object of Islamic worship--Allah. Allah is clearly not a pagan god. A Christian translation of the Arabic word "Allah" is properly "God." In reverse, a translation of the English word "God" into Arabic is properly "Allah."

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: A good reason to hypernate G-d [Re: Gregory] #148764
01/05/13 12:43 PM
01/05/13 12:43 PM
G
Gregory  Offline
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
I understand that some of you may be confused by my use of the word ”transliteration,” and wonder if it has any use. Here is what Wikipedia says, in part. About that word:

Quote:
Transliteration is the conversion of a text from one script to another.

Transliteration can form an essential part of transcription which converts text from one writing system into another. Transliteration is not concerned with representing the phonemics of the original: it only strives to represent the characters accurately.

From an information-theoretical point of view, systematic transliteration is a mapping from one system of writing into another, word by word, or ideally letter by letter. Most transliteration systems are one-to-one, so a reader who knows the system can reconstruct the original spelling.

Transliteration is opposed to transcription, which specifically maps the sounds of one language to the best matching script of another language. Still, most systems of transliteration map the letters of the source script to letters pronounced similarly in the goal script, for some specific pair of source and goal language. If the relations between letters and sounds are similar in both languages, a transliteration may be (almost) the same as a transcription.

The Greek language is written in the 24-letter Greek alphabet, which overlaps with, but differs from, the 26-letter Latin alphabet in which English is written. Etymologies in English dictionaries often identify Greek words as ancestors of words used in English, and sometimes transliterate the Greek words into Roman letters.

NOTE: I had to delete parts due to the fact that they contained non-Latin alphabetic characters that did not reproduce in this forum.

Last edited by Gregory; 01/05/13 12:48 PM.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!