HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Re: How "free" are we after all? #14952
07/11/05 04:50 AM
07/11/05 04:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Satan in heaven had hated Christ for His position in the courts of God. He hated Him the more when he himself was dethroned. He hated Him who pledged Himself to redeem a race of sinners. Yet into the world where Satan claimed dominion God permitted His Son to come, a helpless babe, subject to the weakness of humanity. He permitted Him to meet life's peril in common with every human soul, to fight the battle as every child of humanity must fight it, at the risk of failure and eternal loss. {DA 49.1}

The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth! {DA 49.2}

quote:
Never can the cost of our redemption be realized until the redeemed shall stand with the Redeemer before the throne of God. Then as the glories of the eternal home burst upon our enraptured senses we shall remember that Jesus left all this for us, that He not only became an exile from the heavenly courts, but for us took the risk of failure and eternal loss. Then we shall cast our crowns at His feet, and raise the song, "Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing." Rev. 5:12. {DA 131.2}
quote:
Remember that Christ risked all. For our redemption, heaven itself was imperiled. At the foot of the cross, remembering that for one sinner Christ would have laid down His life, you may estimate the value of a soul. {AG 175.2}
Risk is defined by Webster's as " possibility of loss or injury : PERIL" which EGW also uses in describing what Christ and God the Father did. There's nothing difficult to understand in the language.

All heaven was put into peril. That is, God risked everything. There was the real possibility of Christ being lost.

The reason I brought this up was in the context of God's planing and knowledge of the future. Because of Greek philosophy, it is often taken for granted that God sees the future as if it were a TV rerun. However, that's not the picture that inspiration presents.

There are many difficulties with the idea that the future is fixed. To name two, if this were the case, how could we be free? That is, our freedom would be imagined, not real. Secondly, this view would make it impossible for Christ to have failed. Risk implies that the future is not fixed, and not exhaustively knowable.

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14953
07/11/05 05:49 AM
07/11/05 05:49 AM
Ikan  Offline OP
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
Excellent points, Tom

Part of the resistance to this understanding of God is the fear of "The Unpredictable"!

If we in anyway see that He is unpredictable by taking a real risk on us, then we fight it. It is a "comfort-zone" irritant, and violence is often incurred when anyone suggests that God lets go of His control in any circumstance.
That is resting our faith on our understanding of Him, a very dangerous and sandy spot to build any house on.

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14954
07/12/05 03:34 AM
07/12/05 03:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, when death is the only other option, as in the case of Ezekiel, do we really have a choice?

Phil, please feel free to restate my position, but try to do it without the derogatory adjectives. Is murder always pre-planned? I suppose in many cases it is, but I’m sure you would agree it can be spontaneous and unpremeditated, which, at least in human courts, carries a lesser punishment.

Tom, the prophecies do not indicate that Jesus might save us. They simply say that He will save us. But, even if Jesus had gone back home, instead of dying on the cross, He would not have been lost. True, God would have been forced to destroy all free moral agents throughout the universe, but Jesus would not have been lost Himself. Since saving us was voluntary in the first place, refusing to drink the cup would not have, technically speaking, constituted a failure.

Phil, if God doesn’t know the end from the beginning, like a rerun, how come He can tell us everything that will happen before it happens?

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14955
07/12/05 03:35 AM
07/12/05 03:35 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
Do you think the lamblike beast is free not to make an image to the beast? free not to enforce the mark of the beast?

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14956
07/11/05 07:25 PM
07/11/05 07:25 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Tom, the prophecies do not indicate that Jesus might save us. They simply say that He will save us. But, even if Jesus had gone back home, instead of dying on the cross, He would not have been lost. True, God would have been forced to destroy all free moral agents throughout the universe, but Jesus would not have been lost Himself. Since saving us was voluntary in the first place, refusing to drink the cup would not have, technically speaking, constituted a failure.

Tom: MM, it would have indeed constituted a failure because Christ would have been putting His own will above the will of His Father's. That God is not like this is the point of the whole Great Controversy. Plus remember that to Abraham God swore by Himself that Christ would succeed, since He could sware by nothing greater. So He put His throne on the line. Also note what the Spirit of Prophesy actually says:

quote:

Remember that Christ risked all. For our redemption, heaven itself was imperiled. At the foot of the cross, remembering that for one sinner Christ would have laid down His life, you may estimate the value of a soul. {AG 175.2}

"All heaven" was imperiled. How do you understand this MM? According to your way of seeing things, I don't see how any of heaven could possibly have been imperiled, let alone all of it.

Regarding the question of how God can say what will happen, there are a number of points to consider. First of all, one does not need to have exhaustive definate foreknowledge to predict what will happen, as we all know by experience. Secondly, God is able to influence things to happen, so even if He knew nothing of the future He could still predict it because He has the power to make anything happen that He chooses to make happen. So the fact that God can predict the future does not prove that He must see it in an exhaustive definate way in order to do so. In fact, if you look in Scripture to see the basis on which God exhalts His ability to predict the future you will see that He never mentions His ability to foresee it, but instead mentions His ability to bring it to pass. Thirdly God can and does see everything that will happen, but this vision of the future is not a simplistic T.V. rerun type of vision. It is a far more comprehensive vision which encompasses not only what will actually happen (which is in many cases yet to be determined) but what may happen.

A key question to keep in mind is who is it that determines the future? If God alone determines the future, then of course it is possible for Him to have exhaustive definite foreknowledge of it. However, if His creatures share in determining the future, then the future is not exhaustively definately knowable for the simple reason that it hasn't yet been determined. Not being determined implies not being exhaustably knowable. Conversely exhaustive definate foreknolwedge implies an exhaustively determined future, which implies that freedom is imaginary, not real.

I realise these concepts are a bit challenging to grasp, so am happy to provide explicit examples if requested.

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14957
07/11/05 10:29 PM
07/11/05 10:29 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Hmm, lets see if ive got it together. Gods prophecies could rather be called promises. This however will make Phil and others uneasy becourse some of these prophesies/promises are for the recievers downfall. Some prophecies tell about death and destruction, if God makes it happen there seems to be two options. God brings destruction on those who refuse Him, or those infested with sin are so simpleminded and predictable that they simply cannot turn away a chance to bring destruction upon others as soon as Gods protection is withdrawn. Like predicting that the cat will come when the canopener is heard? Does this fit?

/Thomas

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14958
07/11/05 11:29 PM
07/11/05 11:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thomas, I think a question to ask is whether God's statements are prescriptive or proscriptive. I know what I want to say, but it's not so easy to say.

What I mean is, we may perceive God as doing things, like causing destruction to those who disobey Him, in which case His statements would be proscriptive. If you don't obey Me, then I will do such-and-such to you. Or we may view them as descriptions of what He, as the wise God who created us and knows us, knows will happen if we choose to disobey Him. This latter idea is what George Fifield presents in his links, and the idea that Phil, John B., myself (as well perhaps as some others) have been trying to present.

It's certainly not surprising that God would know precisely what will happen to us if we disobey Him. The chapter "The Destruction of Jerusalem" discusses the principles inovolved in detail.

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14959
07/12/05 02:15 AM
07/12/05 02:15 AM
Ikan  Offline OP
Very Dedicated Member
Plowing
quote:
Originally posted by Phil N. D'blanc:
" perhaps the Father would have sacrificed Jesus on an altar.

Whoa...This is not consistant with your pre-programmed concepts, MM Plus it's still a talisman of your visions of a very bloody pagan Father image. Sigh...but if you insist that the Father murdered Christ, that's your choice. Murder is pre-planned, correct?

You still have not explain EGW's meaning of "risk."

Please point out derogatory adjectives.
I see your opinions as very bloody,(I say your opinions, not you as a man) and hence very similar to pagan belief formulas.

Would you like me to list all of your many statements about blood, killing and the Father, or shall we attempt to study without being overly sensitive?

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14960
07/12/05 02:56 AM
07/12/05 02:56 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
quote:
John, when death is the only other option, as in the case of Ezekiel, do we really have a choice?
Yes, the Lord bids us “choose life”, and he is fighting for us to choose “life”; and he died so that we may choose “life”. And he has extended to us this “unnatural” life. This life is unnatural because life is unnatural to sin. Death is what sin is at heart. Were it not for the Lord’s longsuffering mercy, we would not be. And what I mean by that is, that his spirit, striving with us is holding back, dulling sinner’s wrath.

So to think of Ezekiel as having been threatened is out of perspective. Ezekiel needed salvation, just as much as everyone else. So, all that will have life must certainly live it. So if Ezekiel chose life, then Life in him will work to save others. Life of God works to save. In order for Ezekiel to decline to speak, he would have to not value or accept the life.

So to say it simply, Death is not an option. All mankind fell under its dominion. Life is an option that God offers us.

Re: How "free" are we after all? #14961
07/12/05 05:33 AM
07/12/05 05:33 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, God does not “predict” the future. Instead, He portrays it perfectly. The word “predict” implies an element of guesswork. His word will not return unto Him void. His word will accomplish everything it sets out to do.

Isaiah
55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it.

“Remember that Christ risked all. For our redemption, heaven itself was imperiled.” Yes, if any one of the members of the Godhead had chosen to abandon man and the plan every living being throughout the universe, including heaven, would have been destroyed. Why? Because God would have lost the great controversy, and He couldn't allow His children to serve Him out of fear.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!