HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? [Re: dedication] #149573
02/12/13 09:00 PM
02/12/13 09:00 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: dedication
"When Jesus, as he hung upon the cross, cried out, It is finished, the rocks rent, the earth shook, and some of the graves where shaken open; for when Jesus arose from the dead,... many of the righteous dead came forth as witnesses that he had risen. Those favored, resurrected saints came forth glorified. They were a few chosen and holy ones who had lived in every age from creation, even down to the days of Christ.
" Those who were resurrected were of different stature and form....Some of those raised were more noble in appearance and form than others. I was informed that those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength." {Spiritual Gifts Vol. 1 pages 69-70}

In reality I think this quotation by EGW is the key to understand this question.

" Those who were resurrected were of different stature and form....Some of those raised were more noble in appearance and form than others. I was informed that those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength."

With this in mind I see no reason why the 24 elders should not be those who were resurrected with Christ, and since some of them looked like angels, there is no discrepancy by EGW also using the term "angel" for the one who comforted John.

My conclusion is therefore still that at least some of the 24 elders were resurrected at the time of the resurrection of Christ.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? [Re: Johann] #149574
02/12/13 09:11 PM
02/12/13 09:11 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I always thought the 24 Elders were the the resurrected/translated redeemed, which could include Enoch, Elijah, and Moses.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? [Re: Daryl] #149580
02/12/13 09:59 PM
02/12/13 09:59 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Daryl
I always thought the 24 Elders were the the resurrected/translated redeemed, which could include Enoch, Elijah, and Moses.

This is also what I meant to say.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? [Re: Daryl] #149581
02/12/13 10:12 PM
02/12/13 10:12 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
That's what Stephen Haskell and pretty much all the other Adventist pioneers taught. -- the 24 elders were from the group resurrected with Christ who ascended to heaven with Him.

Haskell wrote:

"The Levitical priesthood was divided into twenty-four courses. 3 Each course had its chief or governor of the sanctuary. 4 This continued down to the time of Christ. 6 When the Saviour ascended to heaven, He led a multitude of captives; and when John in vision was shown the first apartment of the heavenly sanctuary, with its seven lamps of fire burning before the throne of God, he saw four and twenty elders seated upon four and twenty seats, and they worshiped the Lamb, saying, "Thou . . . hast redeemed us to God by Thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation; and hast made us unto our God kings and priests." In this we see the antitype of the twenty-four courses of priests. The chiefs, or elders, of each course have seats of honor, and they are kings and priests after the order of Melchizedek. The remainder of the multitude Christ took into heaven are not mentioned, but it is reasonable to suppose that they constitute the courses of which the four and twenty elders are the chiefs. {1914 SNH, CIS 80.1}

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? [Re: Rick H] #149592
02/13/13 11:43 AM
02/13/13 11:43 AM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Rick H
Yes, 1a) of living beings is a definition of a 'Strong Angel' so can be a living being, so there is no problem with one of the 24 elders being a 'Strong Angel'.

Strong's #2478: ischuros (pronounced is-khoo-ros')

from 2479; forcible (literally or figuratively):--boisterous, mighty(-ier), powerful, strong(-er, man), valiant.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

̓́

ischuros

1) strong, mighty

1a) of living beings

1a1) strong either in body or in mind

1a2) of one who has strength of soul to sustain the attacks of Satan, strong and therefore exhibiting many excellences

1b) on inanimate things

1b1) strong, violent, forcibly uttered, firm, sure

Part of Speech: adjective

Relation: from G2479

Citing in TDNT: 3:397, 378

Read more: http://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Lexicon.show/ID/G2478/ischuros.htm#ixzz2KfLhyXUN

Notice also, 1a2) of one who has strength of soul to sustain the attacks of Satan, strong and therefore exhibiting many excellences

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? [Re: Johann] #149598
02/13/13 02:29 PM
02/13/13 02:29 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Johann
In reality I think this quotation by EGW is the key to understand this question.

" Those who were resurrected were of different stature and form....Some of those raised were more noble in appearance and form than others. I was informed that those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength."

With this in mind I see no reason why the 24 elders should not be those who were resurrected with Christ, and since some of them looked like angels, there is no discrepancy by EGW also using the term "angel" for the one who comforted John.

My conclusion is therefore still that at least some of the 24 elders were resurrected at the time of the resurrection of Christ.
I believe you made a conclusion not supported by the facts.

The statement we have is, "those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength."

Some of the righteous, who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham, happened to be resurrected when Jesus rose. The statement does not imply that the act of resurrection caused them to look more like the angels in form, but that they had lived in the days of Noah and Abraham.

There are other statements says that Adam was created just a little lower than the angels, and that at the second coming, differences are seen through the ages from Adam downwards to present day man. If Adam, and others during Noah and Abraham's day were created more like the angels in form, it would follow that others of the righteous unfallen worlds would also resemble angels in form.

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? [Re: dedication] #149599
02/13/13 02:54 PM
02/13/13 02:54 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: dedication
I recognize many of the statements in what is posted now:
http://secretsunsealed.org/Downloads/24Eldersweb.pdf

but those quotes about angel's, and that angels were delegated to be representatives of the unfallen worlds, I don't remember any of that in the original study.

It is those quotes which he has now put into the study that cause the confusion.
For now part of the study seems to be saying the 24 elders are angels, while the rest of the study is still saying it is the first created from unfallen worlds.

Thanks for the link. I concede it does appear that he just inserted the part about the angels while other parts seemed to oppose it. I kept waiting for him to tie it all together. I only got 13 pages so don't know if there's more. It seemed to suddenly end and I was left hanging. It comes across as someone pointed something out to him, he found a place to insert it, and never bothered fit it in with everything else. It kind of reminded me of the 1850 chart where someone said, oops, made a correction, but failed to ensure everything added up correctly.

But he did give one quote which was interesting from The Desire of Ages, pp. 833-835.

"There are cherubim and seraphim [Revelation 4:6-8]. The commanders of the angel hosts, the sons of God, the representatives of the unfallen worlds [Revelation 4:4], are assembled.
The angel host prostrate themselves before Him,"

So we have
cherubim and seraphim
angel hosts
sons of God
representatives of the unfallen worlds

But only the angel host prostrate themselves?

I'm thinking she may at times use angel hosts as a general term for those in heaven which would include cherubim and seraphim, sons of God, and representatives of the unfallen worlds.

"The heavenly council before which Lucifer had accused God and His Son, the representatives of those sinless realms over which Satan had thought to establish his dominion,--all are there to welcome the Redeemer. They are eager to celebrate His triumph and to glorify their King."

So who are the representatives of those sinless realms?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? [Re: kland] #149605
02/13/13 04:30 PM
02/13/13 04:30 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Do those who were resurrected with Jesus and went to heaven, along with Moses, Elijah, and Enoch, just disappear in the great throng?

Scripture does tell us of other worlds, but the theme throughout is the dealings of the Great Controversy and the connection between the Creator and his fallen created beings on this earth.

Our pioneers understood Rev. 5 as an event in connection with Jesus Christ as the Savior of this world, and who would be better witnesses than the elders who had lived on the earth and had been redeemed and taken to heaven as first fruits of the great atonement?

Of course the modern liberals have to change as much as possible of the understandings we have inherited from our pioneers, and if they can find an excuse for changing our old understanding by applying their understanding of what Ellen White says, then they manage to make their liberal interpretations sound orthodox and conservative.

Am I too old fashioned to stand by the Scriptural interpretation we were taught more than 50 years ago?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? [Re: kland] #149634
02/14/13 01:17 PM
02/14/13 01:17 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
The statement we have is, "those who lived in the days of Noah and Abraham were more like the angels in form, in comeliness and strength."

Are you talking about something else?

Re: Who Are The 24 Elders of Revelation 4:4? [Re: kland] #149639
02/14/13 02:57 PM
02/14/13 02:57 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
To me that statement strengthens the view we have had through the pst century.

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!