HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
Who were the 'spirits in prison'? #149796
02/18/13 11:12 AM
02/18/13 11:12 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
I finally understand the following verse but I want to have everyones input before I go over what I have found:

1 Peter 3:18-20 King James Version (KJV)
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Many churches and ministers teach that the 'spirits in prison' were those who disobeyed and died before Jesus came to earth, though they were dead their spirits went to a prison, unlike the spirits of the righteous which go up to heaven. They use this verse to say tha after Jesus was crucified, he preached to those who were dead, he preached to the 'spirits in prison'. So who were the 'spirits in prison'?

Last edited by Rick H; 02/20/13 04:39 PM.
Re: Who were the 'spirits in prison'? [Re: Rick H] #149806
02/18/13 05:21 PM
02/18/13 05:21 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
When Jesus came into the Synagogue to proclaim "The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, Because He did anoint me; To proclaim good news to the poor, Sent me to heal the broken of heart, To proclaim to captives deliverance, And to blind receiving of sight, To send away the bruised with deliverance" Luke 4:18

This shows who the Captives are.

We are in quarantine, like prison, to keep evil from God's universe.

We were set free by Jesus from captivity to sin and eventually we will be set free from being held to earth. This universe, the universe for us, is a prison because of space and time which is very inhospitable to us physically.

This bit of Physics explains. Did you know that at the speed of light time stands still?

If we were ever to accomplish traveling that fast, which would take more energy than all of our solar system holds, it would not accomplish anything because of the prison we are in. The prison of our material universe cannot be escaped even to give us a pass to visit the next inhabitable rock.

We dwell in the prison, leading to execution, our second death. Jesus came to set us free from that condemnation.

The tower of Babel was an attempt at escaping this prison. The Space race is another tower of Babel. Attempting to get away from the wrath of God.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Who were the 'spirits in prison'? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #149830
02/19/13 04:18 AM
02/19/13 04:18 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
Peter 3:18-20 King James Version (KJV)
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

It doesn't say Christ went and preached to them while He was in the tomb.
The preaching to these people was done while THEY were alive-- while the ark was being prepared.
The Holy Spirit working with their minds (spirit often refers to the mind of people) urging them to accept God's offered plan of salvation.

The "spirits in prison," literally, in "guaro", in the grave. Yet "dead in sin" is even more deadly than the death of "sleep" from which there is a resurrection. For indeed to be dead in sin is a prision from which there is no escape, outside of Christ.

Christ preached by his Spirit through Noah to the antediluvians while they were yet alive, while they still had opportunity to repent.
The preaching was done "when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah".
At that time they were disobedient and now they are all in their graves. NOW in a prison without hope because they rejected the Spirit of Life when it was preached to them.

This may also go into deeper spiritual application.

The situation of the antediluvians while the Spirit through Noah was preaching to them was similar to that of those to whom Christ preached. They were in darkness and error and under the condemnation of death that would soon and suddenly come upon them. Their rejection of Christ would seal their prison forever.

The same power that raised Christ from the dead, also raises people from spiritual death to spiritual life.

Peter is pleading with his country men not be like the people prior to the flood --

Re: Who were the 'spirits in prison'? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #149833
02/19/13 10:38 AM
02/19/13 10:38 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
When Jesus came into the Synagogue to proclaim "The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, Because He did anoint me; To proclaim good news to the poor, Sent me to heal the broken of heart, To proclaim to captives deliverance, And to blind receiving of sight, To send away the bruised with deliverance" Luke 4:18

This shows who the Captives are.

We are in quarantine, like prison, to keep evil from God's universe.

We were set free by Jesus from captivity to sin and eventually we will be set free from being held to earth. This universe, the universe for us, is a prison because of space and time which is very inhospitable to us physically.

This bit of Physics explains. Did you know that at the speed of light time stands still?

If we were ever to accomplish traveling that fast, which would take more energy than all of our solar system holds, it would not accomplish anything because of the prison we are in. The prison of our material universe cannot be escaped even to give us a pass to visit the next inhabitable rock.

We dwell in the prison, leading to execution, our second death. Jesus came to set us free from that condemnation.

The tower of Babel was an attempt at escaping this prison. The Space race is another tower of Babel. Attempting to get away from the wrath of God.

Are you saying these 'captives' are disembodied people held down under the ground?

Last edited by Rick H; 02/19/13 10:45 AM.
Re: Who were the 'spirits in prison'? [Re: dedication] #149834
02/19/13 10:41 AM
02/19/13 10:41 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
Quote:

The preaching to these people was done while THEY were alive-- while the ark was being prepared.
The Holy Spirit working with their minds (spirit often refers to the mind of people) urging them to accept God's offered plan of salvation.

The "spirits in prison," literally, in "guaro", in the grave. Yet "dead in sin" is even more deadly than the death of "sleep" from which there is a resurrection. For indeed to be dead in sin is a prision from which there is no escape, outside of Christ.

Christ preached by his Spirit through Noah to the antediluvians while they were yet alive, while they still had opportunity to repent.
The preaching was done "when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah".
At that time they were disobedient and now they are all in their graves. NOW in a prison without hope because they rejected the Spirit of Life when it was preached to them.

The situation of the antediluvians while the Spirit through Noah was preaching to them was similar to that of those to whom Christ preached. They were in darkness and error and under the condemnation of death that would soon and suddenly come upon them. Their rejection of Christ would seal their prison forever.

The same power that raised Christ from the dead, also raises people from spiritual death to spiritual life.

Peter is pleading with his country men not be like the people prior to the flood --

This is a very difficult passage for Adventist and cant seem to get a grasp on its meaning or define who these spirits are and I came across some articles but very few written by Adventist on this, some with the point you make. Here are some in Adventist publications and posts...

https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1988/April/christ-and-the-imprisoned-spirits

https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1999/August/spirits-in-prison

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Seventh-Day-Adventists-2318/2009/9/Preaching-dead.htm

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/seventh-day-adventist/T0KTTPI7TVTR7T6RD

Last edited by Rick H; 02/19/13 10:43 AM.
Re: Who were the 'spirits in prison'? [Re: Rick H] #149850
02/19/13 08:30 PM
02/19/13 08:30 PM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Originally Posted By: Rick H
Are you saying these 'captives' are disembodied people held down under the ground?

I'm sorry brother, but how did you get that out of this statement?

Are you serious or are you messing with me?

The prison is our planet earth. We are in prison until Jesus saves our souls so we can be brought back to connection with the Father and enter into His presence.

How did you get disembodied spirits from what I wrote?

The end time deception is disembodied spirits trying to deceive the world that the dead are alive in heaven and Satan comes as an angel of light. I have been saying this on this website for over a year. So why would I say here...? never mind.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Who were the 'spirits in prison'? [Re: jamesonofthunder] #149858
02/20/13 12:51 AM
02/20/13 12:51 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
Originally Posted By: Rick H

I'm sorry brother, but how did you get that out of this statement?

Are you serious or are you messing with me?

The prison is our planet earth. We are in prison until Jesus saves our souls so we can be brought back to connection with the Father and enter into His presence.

How did you get disembodied spirits from what I wrote?

The end time deception is disembodied spirits trying to deceive the world that the dead are alive in heaven and Satan comes as an angel of light. I have been saying this on this website for over a year. So why would I say here...? never mind.
Maybe I misunderstood the, "are in quarantine, like prison, to keep evil from God's universe."..but if the people are dead and buried, what did you mean. They dont feel or know or have awareness so how could they be in a such a place and be preached to.

Last edited by Rick H; 02/20/13 11:27 AM.
Re: Who were the 'spirits in prison'? [Re: dedication] #149861
02/20/13 01:07 AM
02/20/13 01:07 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
Quote:

Take a look, as Peter repeats the same motif later and we see who the 'spirits' are, its not people.

2 Peter 2
4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

This passage cites examples to show that God can hold the wicked for punishment until the day of judgment: the evil angels who are evil spirits and then goes to Noah at the time of the Flood. It says the angels sinned against God, who is now holding them in restraint, in 'hell' (Tartarus), in a place of great darkness which for the evil spirits is a prison, until the day of judgment.

Last edited by Rick H; 02/20/13 01:08 AM.
Re: Who were the 'spirits in prison'? [Re: Rick H] #149872
02/20/13 11:06 AM
02/20/13 11:06 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Now curiously, I keep coming across in non Canon and other sources pointing to the 'Nephilim'. Can anyone give us a deeper explanation for a better understanding of who the 'Nephilim' are?

Last edited by Rick H; 02/20/13 11:09 AM.
Re: Who were the 'spirits in prison'? [Re: Rick H] #149875
02/20/13 02:35 PM
02/20/13 02:35 PM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
Probably better for a different thread, but the Nephilim were the children of the 'Son's of God', Seth's descendants who were worshipers of God, and the Daughters of men, the descendants of Cain.

Cain could take as many waves as he wanted. So could his sons. They very quickly over ran the population with God haters.

When Cains descendants learned to make themselves more attractive by the way they dressed and wore their hair and put on jewelry and makeup the sons of God began to lust after them and soon the distinction was blurred between righteousness and sin by intermarrying.

Satan took full advantage of this situation.

For some unknown reason the children that came from that intermarrying were giants, full of strength and intellect to destroy God's people. It has nothing to do with angels having sexual relations with women, in fact it's the other way around.
The women were possessed of demons and they had sex with the Son's who worshiped God.

Since the beginning Satan has used un-sanctified women to bring the men of God down. Look what happened just before entering the promised land.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!