HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,618
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,400 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21
Re: Love me or I'll kill you! [Re: APL] #150875
03/18/13 01:35 PM
03/18/13 01:35 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
"The wages of sin is death." (Romans 6:23.) To Adam before his fall the Lord said, "In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." (Genesis 2:17.) "If you transgress My law, death will surely be your punishment." By disobeying God's command, he forfeited his life. {8MR 38.3}What causes death? Transgression of the law.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Love me or I'll kill you! [Re: APL] #150877
03/18/13 03:11 PM
03/18/13 03:11 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
This is amazing, the condescension of believers against those who are just as faithful if not more. GC you are not wrong, and I should be amazed that a pastor would condemn you for speaking the truth, but I am not amazed because I see their superior attitudes all the time.

Johann; If you pull the plug on a life support system would this be causing death? If as you say all God does is allow them to be killed by some kind of evil force overwhelming them to death then would this not be still causing them to die?

Do we have life in ourselves?

If God let us go to some other Universe separate from Him would we be able to supply our own needs without Him?

If God did not resurrect the wicked, they could just never wake up again correct? But He doesn't do that does He? Some people die THREE TIMES! Those who pierced Jesus.

Do you think this is unrighteous for God to do? I have heard men like you from the pulpit allude to God being a sadist because the bible teaches this. They argue against what our prophet was shown directly from God, that He resurrects twice those who killed Jesus, then kills them, first by the glory of the second coming, then in the fires of hell.

I know for a fact what you would teach here.

If God does not destroy the wicked, then why does He bother resurrecting them in the first place? If all He did was shut them off from the source of life is this not a form of destruction?

But that is not all He does, He causes the wicked to witness exactly what they did to the Son of God after it is too late for them to repent, is this sadistic? NO, IT IS RIGHTEOUS!

They feel exactly what Jesus felt while He died for them, the mercy they spurned. So is this unrighteous for God to do? You have not thought your false doctrines through and it is obvious you do not see things from our prophets perspective either.

"God has given in His word decisive evidence that He will punish the transgressors of His law. Those who flatter themselves that He is too merciful to execute justice upon the sinner, have only to look to the cross of Calvary. The death of the spotless Son of God testifies that “the wages of sin is death,” that every violation of God’s law must receive its just retribution. Christ the sinless became sin for man. He bore the guilt of transgression, and the hiding of His Father’s face, until His heart was broken and His life crushed out. All this sacrifice was made that sinners might be redeemed. In no other way could man be freed from the penalty of sin. And every soul that refuses to become a partaker of the atonement provided at such a cost must bear in his own person the guilt and punishment of transgression. {GC 539.3}

How do you become a partaker of the Atonement? What did they have to do in ancient Israel? Something about KILLING A GOAT?

Something about CUTTING IT"S THROAT? You flatter yourselves.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Love me or I'll kill you! [Re: APL] #150882
03/18/13 04:02 PM
03/18/13 04:02 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
"The wages of sin is death." (Romans 6:23.) To Adam before his fall the Lord said, "In the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." (Genesis 2:17.) "If you transgress My law, death will surely be your punishment." By disobeying God's command, he forfeited his life. {8MR 38.3}What causes death? Transgression of the law.

Transgression of the law, in and of itself, does not cause death. If it did, we would all be dead, for we have all transgressed. If you read the quote more carefully, you'll see that the death comes as punishment for transgression of the law. God must punish the sinner.

Note how more than once in the Bible, God set a bound upon a sinner's lifespan. God only allows sinners to live for so long, then death comes. And this is only the first death. Angels do not experience two deaths. Fallen angels do not die. They are not mortals as we are. But they will experience the "second death" without having had a death prior. This is because the second death is the one in which justice and judgment are rendered.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
All have sufficient light to see their sins and errors, if they desired to do so, and earnestly wished to put them away, and to perfect holiness in the fear of Lord. God is too pure to behold iniquity. A sin is just as grievous in his sight in one case as in another. No exception will be made by an impartial God. If individuals pass over and cover up their sins, they will not be prospered of God. They cannot advance in the divine life, but will become darker and darker until the light of heaven will be entirely withdrawn. {RH, May 5, 1885 par. 7}

In other words, sin is sin. It doesn't matter how small or large the sin might have been--all sins are grievous to God.

God does not regard all sins as of equal magnitude; there are degrees of guilt in His estimation, as well as in that of man; but however trifling this or that wrong act may seem in the eyes of men, no sin is small in the sight of God. Man's judgment is partial, imperfect; but God estimates all things as they really are. The drunkard is despised and is told that his sin will exclude him from heaven; while pride, selfishness, and covetousness too often go unrebuked. But these are sins that are especially offensive to God; for they are contrary to the benevolence of His character, to that unselfish love which is the very atmosphere of the unfallen universe. He who falls into some of the grosser sins may feel a sense of his shame and poverty and his need of the grace of Christ; but pride feels no need, and so it closes the heart against Christ and the infinite blessings He came to give. {SC 30.1}

So there are degrees of sin. Not all sins are equal, even though all are grievous. Those who are in leadership positions carry greater responsibilities. Note the case of Herod, who knew God's commandments, but who did not follow them.

Herod, not long after Peter's deliverance from prison, went down from Judea to Caesarea, and there abode. He there made a grand festival, designed to excite the admiration and applause of the people. Pleasure-lovers from all quarters were assembled together, and there was much feasting and wine-drinking. Herod made a most gorgeous appearance before the people. He was clad in a robe, sparkling with silver and gold, that caught the rays of the sun in its glittering folds, and dazzled the eyes of the beholders. With great pomp and ceremony he stood before the multitude, and addressed them in an eloquent oration. {3SP 342.2}
The majesty of his appearance, and the power of his well-chosen language, swayed the assembly with a mighty influence. Their senses were already perverted by feasting and wine; they were dazzled by his glittering decorations, and charmed by his grand deportment and eloquent words; and, wild with enthusiasm, they showered upon him adulation, and proclaimed him a god, declaring that mortal man could not present such
an appearance, or command such startling eloquence of language. They farther declared that they had ever respected him as a ruler, but from henceforth they should worship him as a god. {3SP 342.3}
These people had refused to acknowledge Christ, whose coarse and often travel-stained garments were worn over a heart of divine love, rich with that inward adorning, a meek and gentle spirit. Their eyes, blinded by sin, refused to see, beneath that humble exterior, the Lord of life and glory, though his mercy and divine power were revealed before them in works that no man could do. But they were ready to bow down and worship, as a god, the haughty king, whose splendid garments of silver and gold were worn over a corrupt and cruel heart. They did not attempt to penetrate his vain display, and read the depravity and deceit of his character, and the wickedness of his daily life. {3SP 343.1}
Herod knew that he deserved none of this praise and homage; yet he did not rebuke the idolatry of the people, but accepted it as his due. The glow of gratified pride was on his countenance as he heard the shout ascend: It is the voice of a god, and not of man! The same voices which now glorified a vile sinner, had, but a few years before, raised the frenzied cry of, Away with Jesus! Crucify him, crucify him! Herod received this flattery and homage with great pleasure, and his heart bounded with triumph; but suddenly a swift and terrible change came over him. His countenance became pallid as death, and distorted with agony; great drops of sweat started from his pores. He stood a moment as if transfixed with pain and terror, then, turning his blanched and livid face to his horror-stricken
friends, he cried in hollow, despairing tones, He whom you have exalted as a god is struck with death! {3SP 343.2}
He was borne in a state of the most excruciating anguish from the scene of wicked revelry, the mirth, and pomp, and display of which he now loathed in his soul. A moment before, he had been the proud recipient of the praise and worship of that vast throng--now he felt himself in the hands of a Ruler mightier than himself. Remorse seized him; he remembered his cruel command to slay the innocent James; he remembered his relentless persecution of the followers of Christ, and his design to put to death the apostle Peter, whom God had delivered out of his hand; he remembered how, in his mortification and disappointed rage, he had wreaked his unreasoning revenge upon the keepers of the prisoner, and executed them without mercy. He felt that God, who had rescued the apostle from death, was now dealing with him, the relentless persecutor. He found no relief from pain of body or anguish of mind, and he expected none. Herod was acquainted with the law of God, which says, "Thou shalt have no other gods before me," and he knew that in accepting the worship of the people he had filled up the measure of his iniquity, and had brought upon him the just wrath of God. {3SP 344.1}
The same angel who had left the royal courts of Heaven to rescue Peter from the power of his persecutor, had been the messenger of wrath and judgment to Herod. The angel smote Peter to arouse him from slumber; but it was with a different stroke that he smote the wicked king, bringing mortal disease upon him. God poured contempt
upon Herod's pride, and his person, which he had exhibited decked in shining apparel before the admiring gaze of the people, was eaten by worms, and putrefied while yet alive. Herod died in great agony of mind and body, under the retributive justice of God. {3SP 344.2}
This demonstration of divine judgment had a mighty influence upon the people. While the apostle of Christ had been miraculously delivered from prison and death, his persecutor had been stricken down by the curse of God. The news was borne to all lands, and was the means of bringing many to believe on Christ.

-
{3SP 345.1}

Herod's sin was met with the "retributive justice of God" in which he "died in great agony of mind and body." His case is but one example of God's judgments, of which we all should take heed. God will not tolerate sin in us. Finally, it will bring upon us the "second death," if we have not chosen to accept His loving offer of mercy and salvation.

Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

Consider this: if all sins are grievous to God, and any sin causes death, then why will not all sins cause death in an equal manner? But we are clearly told that some will suffer long while others are quickly destroyed. Why this difference?

And if sin causes death, why will the greatest of all sinners, Satan himself, live the longest?

This only demonstrates that it is not sin which causes death, but punishment for sin which causes death. As the Bible would put it, "the wages" of sin is death. Those wages represent the reward of the wicked. God will bring rewards for all, righteous or wicked, according as their works shall be.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Love me or I'll kill you! [Re: Green Cochoa] #150885
03/18/13 06:12 PM
03/18/13 06:12 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
Transgression of the law, in and of itself, does not cause death. If it did, we would all be dead, for we have all transgressed. If you read the quote more carefully, you'll see that the death comes as punishment for transgression of the law. God must punish the sinner.
Now THAT is the question isn't it? Does transgression of the law cause death. A sinner would not die unless God killed them. So, the title of this thread is true. Love God, or He will kill you. Genesis 3:4 And the serpent said to the woman, You shall not surely die:. I guess he was right.

Note how more than once in the Bible, God set a bound upon a sinner's lifespan. God only allows sinners to live for so long, then death comes. And this is only the first death. Angels do not experience two deaths. Fallen angels do not die. They are not mortals as we are. But they will experience the "second death" without having had a death prior. This is because the second death is the one in which justice and judgment are rendered.
How did God limit the life span? Several ways. At the flood, God permitted eating of flesh. This limited the life span to 120 years, and is clearly seen in the the lifespans of the patriarchs.

And green you hedge, you said angels are immortal. Now you say they are not mortal like we are. Are you still saying they are immortal or they are mortal, just not like we are. The Bible is clear that only God is immortal. Angels are not immortal. Even jame would disagree with you that angels are immortal.

In other words, sin is sin. It doesn't matter how small or large the sin might have been--all sins are grievous to God. 
Yes, and who is arguing otherwise? And read the last sentence of your quote: "until the light of heaven will be entirely withdrawn." This is God's wrath as defined in Romans 1, and seen through out the Old Testament.

Herod's sin was met with the "retributive justice of God" in which he "died in great agony of mind and body." His case is but one example of God's judgments, of which we all should take heed. God will not tolerate sin in us. Finally, it will bring upon us the "second death," if we have not chosen to accept His loving offer of mercy and salvation.
Yes green, put ALL the quotes together. The Grea Controversy clearly shows that that destruction of Jerusalem shows the "retributive justice". And how was God involved? He withdrew. Just as your quote above. Just as we see through out the Bible.

This only demonstrates that it is not sin which causes death, but punishment for sin which causes death. As the Bible would put it, "the wages" of sin is death. Those wages represent the reward of the wicked. God will bring rewards for all, righteous or wicked, according as their works shall be.
Sin then is not the problem. God is the problem. Sin will not kill you, God will. God is the destroyer. This verse is mistranslated: Matthew 1:21 "And she shall bring forth a son, and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." It should say, He shall save his people from HIM!

green you also think that the inverse proportion of the suffering due to sin is because it is just punishment. So God is not only the excutioner, He also will torture sinners. Just not more that they deserve. Does this torture have a purpose? Is it to scare the on looking universe into submission? Fear is the rule of the government now. Break God's law, and he will execute you, and torture while He is doing it. Affliction will not rise again because everyone will be scared to, well, not scared to death, because only God is the cause of death. Makes no sense. I'm sorry green, this is the devil's picture of God, and the majority of the SDA church too. Is it any wonder this movement is not progressing as it should?

Originally Posted By: EGW
Christ came to save fallen man, and Satan with fiercest wrath met him on the field of conflict; for the enemy knew that when divine strength was added to human weakness, man was armed with power and intelligence, and could break away from the captivity in which he had bound him. Satan sought to intercept every ray of light from the throne of God. He sought to cast his shadow across the earth, that men might lose the true views of God's character, and that the knowledge of God might become extinct in the earth. He had caused truth of vital importance to be so mingled with error that it had lost its significance. The law of Jehovah was burdened with needless exactions and traditions, and God was represented as severe, exacting, revengeful, and arbitrary. He was pictured as one who could take pleasure in the sufferings of his creatures. The very attributes that belonged to the character of Satan, the evil one represented as belonging to the character of God. Jesus came to teach men of the Father, to correctly represent him before the fallen children of earth. Angels could not fully portray the character of God, but Christ, who was a living impersonation of God, could not fail to accomplish the work. The only way in which he could set and keep men right was to make himself visible and familiar to their eyes. That men might have salvation he came directly to man, and became a partaker of his nature. {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 6} ...

That God could consent to become flesh, and dwell among fallen beings, to lift them up from their helplessness and despair, is an unfathomed mystery. He whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, whose dominion endureth throughout all generations, made himself to be sin for us that he might lift up all that are bowed down, and give life to those who are ready to perish. {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 8}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 9}...

In Christ was arrayed before men the paternal grace and the matchless perfections of the Father. In his prayer just before his crucifixion, he declared, "I have manifested thy name." "I have glorified thee on the earth; I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do." When the object of his mission was attained,--the revelation of God to the world,--the Son of God announced that his work was accomplished, and that the character of the Father was made manifest to men. {ST, January 20, 1890 par. 9}
Truth mingles with error. Yes, it is incredible the distortions we have about God. Most believe God IS EXACTING, that sin is not really the problem for sin will not kill you, God will kill you. And it is not interesting that the object of his mission, "the revelation of God to the world" has been changed to a legal subtitution to pay for sin. It is not my job to change anyone's mind. That is the job of the Holy Spirit. I only need to present the truth, and you are free to accept it or reject it. God will not force anyone. The wages of sin is death.

James 1:12-15 Blessed is the man that endures temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord has promised to them that love him. 13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempts he any man: 14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15 Then when lust has conceived, it brings forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, brings forth death.

Note - sin brings forth death, not execution by God.

Blessings INDEED

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Love me or I'll kill you! [Re: jamesonofthunder] #150886
03/18/13 06:35 PM
03/18/13 06:35 PM
K
kland  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
All of you tell me, where does the fire come from that destroys sin?

If I believe that God is the destroyer, I can see that God personally sending fire to destroy people would fit in with my world view. But what if I believe God is the restorer? Would I consider that perhaps I'm reading something incorrectly?

Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
Originally Posted By: kland
So which is it? Is God the destroyer or the restorer?

If we do not permit God to restore us, He reluctantly destroys us so there will be harmony throughout His creation.

Are you saying God is both?

Do you disagree with Ellen White when she says, Satan is the destroyer; the Lord is the Restorer?

James, nothing else is relevant until you answer that question. It all has to do with your presumed belief. You will find support for your belief whichever way it is. Are we to take it that your world view, your belief about God is that He is the destroyer?

Re: Love me or I'll kill you! [Re: kland] #150889
03/18/13 06:53 PM
03/18/13 06:53 PM
K
kland  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
green you also think that the inverse proportion of the suffering due to sin is because it is just punishment. So God is not only the excutioner, He also will torture sinners. Just not more that they deserve. Does this torture have a purpose? Is it to scare the on looking universe into submission? Fear is the rule of the government now. Break God's law, and he will execute you, and torture while He is doing it. Affliction will not rise again because everyone will be scared to, well, not scared to death, because only God is the cause of death. Makes no sense. I'm sorry green, this is the devil's picture of God, and the majority of the SDA church too. Is it any wonder this movement is not progressing as it should?
"The bride trembling ever so barely noticeably looks him in the eye and stammers as confidently as she can muster, Ya-Yes, of course."

Re: Love me or I'll kill you! [Re: kland] #150891
03/18/13 07:28 PM
03/18/13 07:28 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
And green you hedge, you said angels are immortal. Now you say they are not mortal like we are. Are you still saying they are immortal or they are mortal, just not like we are. The Bible is clear that only God is immortal. Angels are not immortal. Even jame would disagree with you that angels are immortal.

I guess James may be wrong. So are you. Or else the Bible is wrong or Mrs. White is wrong.

You say only God is immortal. I say that is a false statement based on a false interpretation. I'm tired of having to reiterate these points, to be honest. Is it truly pertinent to this discussion? There are so many things about which you are vainly confident that I do not have time to address them all. I can only urge you to be more open-minded and to study more. The things I speak are of an extensive understanding of the Bible and Mrs. White. I have been privileged to learn much, and yet there is much more that I am still learning.

Let's settle the fact that God is not the only immortal, and then move on, ok?

...Then will break forth from immortal beings the song of triumph, "Worthy, worthy is the Lamb." {GCB, April 23, 1901 par. 9}

Immortals praise God. God is not praising Himself.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

We are now, as sinners on earth, mortals. We will then, in heaven, be immortals. All of the unfallen beings in the universe are already immortals. They would only become mortal through sin, because then they must die. That is the wage of sin.

Fallen angels are not dying yet. They await their wages. They are not mortals in the same sense as we are, although in a sense they are--for they are destined for the fires of hell which will end their eternal existence.

So much depends on proper context. The Bible does say that God is immortal. It says Jesus only has immortality. What is the context? The context is that of the people to whom Paul was writing, or in other words, Jesus is the only one among humans on earth to possess immortality. Paul's writings are so easy to misunderstand because he was not really a wordsmith/lawyer. Context is especially important in his writings, because he's just focused on the "main thing" and not generally on the fine details.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Love me or I'll kill you! [Re: Green Cochoa] #150892
03/18/13 07:30 PM
03/18/13 07:30 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
There are but two powers that control the minds of men—the power of God and the power of Satan. Christ is man’s Creator and Redeemer; Satan is man’s enemy and destroyer. {Te 276.3}

If He [Christ] lets go His hold of us for one moment, Satan stands ready to destroy. {15MR 104.1}

Satan, knowing that the empire he had usurped would in the end be wrested from him, determined to spare no pains to destroy as many as possible of the creatures whom God had created in his image. He hated man because Christ had manifested for him such forgiving love and pity, and he now prepared to practice upon him every species of deception by which he might be lost; he pursued his course with more energy because of his own hopeless condition. {3SP 194.2}

The only safeguard against his power is found in the presence of Jesus. Before men and angels Satan has been revealed as man's enemy and destroyer; Christ, as man's friend and deliverer. His Spirit will develop in man all that will ennoble the character and dignify the nature. It will build man up for the glory of God in body and soul and spirit. "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7. He has called us "to the obtaining of the glory"--character--"of our Lord Jesus Christ;" has called us to be "conformed to the image of His Son." 2 Thessalonians 2:14; Romans 8:29. {DA 341.1}

God bears long with the rebellion and apostasy of His subjects. Even when His mercy is despised and His love scorned and derided, He bears with men until the last resource for leading them to repentance is exhausted. But there are limits to His forbearance. From those who to the end continue in obstinate rebellion, He removes His protecting care. Providence will no longer shield them from Satan's power. They will have sinned away their day of grace. {RH, September 17, 1901 par. 7}

God keeps a reckoning with the nations. Not a sparrow falls to the ground without His notice. Those who work evil toward their fellow men, saying, How doth God know? will one day be called upon to meet long-deferred vengeance. In this age a more than common contempt is shown to God. Men have reached a point in insolence and disobedience which shows that their cup of iniquity is almost full. Many have well-nigh passed the boundary of mercy. Soon God will show that He is indeed the living God. He will say to the angels, "No longer combat Satan in his efforts to destroy. Let him work out his malignity upon the children of disobedience; for the cup of their iniquity is full. They have advanced from one degree of wickedness to another, adding daily to their lawlessness. I will no longer interfere to prevent the destroyer from doing his work." {RH, September 17, 1901 par. 8}

In this warfare there is no release. Satan's agents never pause in their work of destruction. Those who are in Christ's service must guard every outpost. To save perishing souls from ruin is our object. This is a work of infinite greatness, and man can not hope to obtain success in it unless he unites with the divine Worker. {RH, May 3, 1906 par. 11}

Satan is the destroyer. God cannot bless those who refuse to be faithful stewards. All He can do is to permit Satan to accomplish his destroying work. We see calamities of every kind and in every degree coming upon the earth, and why? The Lord’s restraining power is not exercised. {6T 388, 389}

“. . . when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint [placed upon Satan] is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejecters of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. . . . The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all . . . [regarding] the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.” {GC 35, 36}

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

Violence in the OT
It was generally believed by the Jews that sin is punished in this life. Every affliction was regarded as the penalty of some wrongdoing, either of the sufferer himself or of his parents. It is true that all suffering results from the transgression of God's law, but this truth had become perverted. Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin. Hence one upon whom some great affliction or calamity had fallen had the additional burden of being regarded as a great sinner. {DA 471.1}

Thus the way was prepared for the Jews to reject Jesus. He who "hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows" was looked upon by the Jews as "stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted;" and they hid their faces from Him. Isaiah 53:4, 3. {DA 471.2}

God had given a lesson designed to prevent this. The history of Job had shown that suffering is inflicted by Satan, and is overruled by God for purposes of mercy. But Israel did not understand the lesson. The same error for which God had reproved the friends of Job was repeated by the Jews in their rejection of Christ. {DA 471.3}

Satan gathered the fallen angels together to devise some way of doing the most possible evil to the human family. One proposition after another was made, till finally Satan himself thought of a plan. He would take the fruit of the vine, also wheat, and other things given by God as food, and would convert them into poisons, which would ruin man's physical, mental, and moral powers, and so overcome the senses that Satan should have full control. Under the influence of liquor, men would be led to commit crimes of all kinds. Through perverted appetite the world would be made corrupt. By leading men to drink alcohol, Satan would cause them to descend lower and lower in the scale. {RH, April 16, 1901 par. 7}

You will always find Satan on the side of the oppressor. God does not oppress. God does not bring them [people] in by persecution, for He has let them live all this time, but when Satan gets the lines in his hands, he takes the spurious sabbath and sets it up against the perfection of Christ and [says] you have got to keep it. That is the spirit of persecution and oppression and bondage. {5MR 47.1}

In the time of trouble just before the coming of Christ, the righteous will be preserved through the ministration of heavenly angels; but there will be no security for the transgressor of God's law. Angels cannot then protect those who are disregarding one of the divine precepts. {PP 256.1}

It is God who holds in his hands the destiny of souls. He will not always be mocked; he will not always to trifled with. Already his judgments are in the land. Fierce and awful tempests leave destruction and death in their wake. The devouring fire lays low the desolate forest and the crowded city. Storm and ship-wreck await those who journey upon the deep. Accident and calamity threaten all who travel upon the land. Hurricanes, earthquakes, sword, and famine follow in quick succession. Yet the hearts of men are hardened. They recognize not the warning voice of God. They will not flee to the only refuge from the gathering storm. {ST, September 10, 1885 par. 8}

Re: Love me or I'll kill you! [Re: APL] #150894
03/18/13 09:33 PM
03/18/13 09:33 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
I guess James may be wrong. So are you. Or else the Bible is wrong or Mrs. White is wrong.
I believe the Bible, EGW and even james on this point. But then you hedge again, when you say
We are now, as sinners on earth, mortals. We will then, in heaven, be immortals. All of the unfallen beings in the universe are already immortals. They would only become mortal through sin, because then they must die. That is the wage of sin.
YES, sin kills, sin makes the angels mortal. Not because of imposed penalty, but as the natural consquences of sin.
You say only God is immortal. I say that is a false statement based on a false interpretation. I'm tired of having to reiterate these points, to be honest. Is it truly pertinent to this discussion? 
Is the creature greater than the creator? No. All creation is dependant on God.
Immortality is an attribute of God only. 1 Timothy 6:16: "Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power everlasting. Amen." {1T 344.1}
NO GREEN - EGW says, "IMMORTALITY IS AN ATTRIBUTE OF GOD ONLY". Is this clear yet? You ask if this is pertinent to this discussion. I do believe it was you that brought it up. Angels would remain immortal IF they did not have sin. But sin is the brutal destroyer, created by Satan, the "author of sin" (how many quotes would you like?). Immortality is granted on conditions. God has no conditions. He is the source of ALL life.
There are so many things about which you are vainly confident that I do not have time to address them all. I can only urge you to be more open-minded and to study more. The things I speak are of an extensive understanding of the Bible and Mrs. White. I have been privileged to learn much, and yet there is much more that I am still learning.

Let's settle the fact that God is not the only immortal, and then move on, ok?
Let's settle the fact that "immortality is an attribute of God only", then move on. Notice, I used EGW's quote? Who has the closed mind? Me? Or you?
Fallen angels are not dying yet.
Has sin changed Satan? You bet he has.
Satan stood in amazement at his new condition. His happiness was gone. He looked upon the angels who, with him, were once so happy, but who had been expelled from Heaven with him. Before their fall, not a shade of discontent had marred their perfect bliss. Now all seemed changed. Countenances which had reflected the image of their Maker were gloomy and despairing. Strife, discord, and bitter recrimination, were among them. Previous to their rebellion these things had been unknown in Heaven. Satan now beholds the terrible results of his rebellion. He shuddered, and feared to face the future, and to contemplate the end of these things. {1SP 28.1}
I was shown Satan as he once was, a happy, exalted angel. Then I was shown him as he now is. He still bears a kingly form. His features are still noble, for he is an angel fallen. But the expression of his countenance is full of anxiety, care, unhappiness, malice, hate, mischief, deceit, and every evil. That brow which was once so noble, I particularly noticed. His forehead commenced from his eyes to recede. I saw that he had so long bent himself to evil that every good quality was debased, and every evil trait was developed. His eyes were cunning, sly, and showed great penetration. His frame was large, but the flesh hung loosely about his hands and face. As I beheld him, his chin was resting upon his left hand. He appeared to be in deep thought. A smile was upon his countenance, which made me tremble, it was so full of evil and satanic slyness. This smile is the one he wears just before he makes sure of his victim, and as he fastens the victim in his snare, this smile grows horrible. {SR 45.4}
Truth was unpopular in Christ's day. Truth is unpopular in our day. It has been unpopular ever since Satan first gave man a disrelish for it by presenting bewitching fables that lead to self-exaltation. Do we not meet theories and doctrines today that have no foundation in the word of God? Men cling as tenaciously to them as did the Jews to their traditions and delusions. We have the same difficulties to meet and resist as did the Redeemer of the world. {RH, February 7, 1888 par. 9}

Sickness, suffering, and death are work of an antagonistic power. Satan is the destroyer; God is the restorer.{MH 113.1}
The words spoken to Israel are true today of those who recover health of body or health of soul. "I am the Lord that healeth thee." Exodus 15:26.{MH 113.2}
The desire of God for every human being is expressed in the words, "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." 3 John 1:2.{MH 113.3}
He it is who "forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with loving-kindness and tender mercies." Psalms 103:3-4.{MH 113.4}
When Christ healed disease, He warned many of the afflicted ones, "Sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." John 5:14. Thus He taught that they had brought disease upon themselves by transgressing the laws of God, and that health could be preserved only by obedience.{MH 113.5}

Re: Love me or I'll kill you! [Re: APL] #150895
03/18/13 10:06 PM
03/18/13 10:06 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
NO GREEN - EGW says, "IMMORTALITY IS AN ATTRIBUTE OF GOD ONLY". Is this clear yet? You ask if this is pertinent to this discussion. I do believe it was you that brought it up. Angels would remain immortal IF they did not have sin. But sin is the brutal destroyer, created by Satan, the "author of sin" (how many quotes would you like?). Immortality is granted on conditions. God has no conditions. He is the source of ALL life.

You contradict yourself. You say EGW says only God is immortal, then you say that angels are immortal unless/until they sin. You can't have it both ways.

I'm not saying what you're saying. I'm saying that God is immortal, and that other beings are also immortal unless they sin.

Sin destroys, yes. I have no objection to your quotes that say it does. It is a part of the picture. Your understanding grasps roughly half of the whole. I take in both halves. I've been focusing here on the "other half" more because you seem so opposed to its truthfulness and are wishing to cast it aside. What you seem to miss is the how.

You would not be able to explain the passages that explicitly state that God destroys such as can be found both in the Bible and in the writings of Ellen White. You have no way of incorporating them logically into your view. Sin is transgression of the law. Sin is not a sentient being with ability to punish of itself. You conflate sin's punishment with the sin itself. The punishment is from God. The law was His, and He it is who enforces it.

I have posted multiple passages from the Bible and EGW speaking of God destroying. Which of them can you agree with?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!