HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,658
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 1
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Green Cochoa] #151638
04/07/13 02:40 AM
04/07/13 02:40 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
JAK,

Speaking of "enemy territory," I am in mosquito land and will be entering a "closed country" later today.
I am filled with envy. I spent time in SEA and I'd go back at the drop of a hat.

I don't know how much internet I may have over the rest of this week or so. So bear with me, as I likely won't have opportunity to respond quickly on various points.
No worries there. These kind of conversations require a lot of thinking, and for me, that takes time.

For now, I think we should next determine why or why not Mrs. White's writings should be seen as inspired, and leave the "usage" question alone until the inspiration question is resolved. What do you think? It seems to me this would be the logical sequence, for the usage may be different based on whether or not it is viewed as inspired.
Agreed. It is the correct sequence.

So we will concentrate on the inspiration aspect, and we will leave the usage for another discussion.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Green Cochoa] #151639
04/07/13 02:42 AM
04/07/13 02:42 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
But I would say that the usage question and the inspiration question are related and tied together. Views on one affect views on the other. I shall try to separate them for purposes of this point in the discussion.

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Green Cochoa] #151640
04/07/13 03:03 AM
04/07/13 03:03 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
This brings up the whole question of "inspiration" generally, from "This morning I felt inspired to jog 10k." to God dictating the 10 Commandments. Where does EGW fall in this continuum?

Well, I do believe she falls within it somewhere, at least in some of her writings. (That'll be a shock to many. :o)

SDA typically espouse the "thought" inspiration rather than "verbal" inspiration, and I would agree with this...mmmostly. I believe some parts of the Bible were dictated verbatum. But I think the majority of Scripture is "Holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

I DON'T think she is a "false prophet." I disagree with the position that says: "Well, she is either true or false. There's no other choice."

To me, there are several choices. I believe she was a godly woman sincerely trying to do God's will as she understood it. She was influenced by the times, society, and environment in which she lived. I believe she made mistakes, and I believe some of the stuff she wrote was just plain wrong. Period.

I also believe that some of what she wrote is very useful, bordering on inspired, but NEVER at a Scriptural level.

In both statements I must emphasize the word "some."

This post is getting way too long.

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Green Cochoa] #151646
04/07/13 03:11 PM
04/07/13 03:11 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
This question has caused me to think seriously about Biblical inspiration. First, I believe Scripture*. Period. However...

Much of Scripture is simply stories of what happened to people, especially in Genesis, Exodus, etc. and Moses just wrote it down. Or it is the record of the kings of Israel, or whatever.

So, are the events and doings of the people inspired, or the writing-down that is inspired...

In books like the major and minor prophets, Psalms, etc. I can see a better case for inspiration in the context of 2 Peter 1, but in other cases it seems to be just stories that we draw lessons from. The characters in the stories are doing good things and bad things, and we draw lessons from it. If this is the case a story of God's guiding and leading in the life of a missionary such as you, GC, could be considered as inspired as the story of Abraham going to Egypt, for example. The key here would be to give credit to God for His leading, blessing, etc.

What about things like lists of geneologies, descriptions of boundry markers, etc.? Are they inspired? If so, to what purpose? Perhaps they are "less inspired" than Jeremiah or Daniel. They are in Scripture simply because they were part of the oral tradition and laws and agreements which make up the Hebrew/Jewish heritage, and they really play no part in "divine inspiration."

As I said in an earlier post, in my opinion there are degrees of inspiration, and not all inspiration is to be considered equal.

(*Scripture says what it says; it is our interpretation of what Scripture says that is the significant thing. This is where the Holy Spirit guides.)

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: JAK] #151647
04/07/13 03:27 PM
04/07/13 03:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
JAK, I don't think I could enjoy life if I wasn't 100% certain the entire Bible is inspired. "It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." If Jesus left it to me to determine which parts of the Bible are less inspired I think it would turn me off. Having said that, there are parts of the Bible I don't relish as much as other parts. The long lists of names, for example, do not thrill me as much as Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Mountain Man] #151649
04/07/13 03:40 PM
04/07/13 03:40 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Quote:
2 Timothy_3:16 KJV All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So, JAK, am I understanding you correctly, that you also don't believe the Scriptures are completely inspired, as in the whole Bible?

If so, then I can understand why you would also question the inspiration of the writings of Ellen White.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Mountain Man] #151652
04/07/13 04:00 PM
04/07/13 04:00 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
JAK, I don't think I could enjoy life if I wasn't 100% certain the entire Bible is inspired.
Since we are in a discussion which seeks to understand another's point of view, a precise and accurate rendering of that view is necessary. I did not state nor mean that parts of the Bible are NOT inspired, but that parts are inspired to a lesser degree. All is inspired, but not all inspiration is equal.

Many people, Adventists included, generally agree with this concept, since they separate the "Law of God" from "Mosaic Law." (There is no support for this statement. It is personal opinion.)

Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
"It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."
While true, I'm not sure Jesus was commenting on the nature and level of Scriptural inspiration. In both incidences where this is mentioned (Deut. 83 and Matt. 4:4) it is in the context of food and hunger, God's ability to supply our needs, and His power to sustain us.

Second, one COULD say that not all Scripture "...proceeds from the mouth of God.", as some of it, as pointed out previously, is simply stories handed down by oral tradition. IF all Scripture proceeded from the mouth of God, (ie: God spoke it)we should be teaching verbal inspiration, which we don't.

Third, this statement, even if taken to refer to inspiration, does not rule out the possibility of varying levels of inspiration. It simply states that it all comes from the same source.

So before I accept this as a comment on the nature of Scriptural inspiration, you will have to connect the dots for me.

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Daryl] #151653
04/07/13 04:19 PM
04/07/13 04:19 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: Daryl
Quote:
2 Timothy_3:16 KJV All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So, JAK, am I understanding you correctly, that you also don't believe the Scriptures are completely inspired, as in the whole Bible?

If so, then I can understand why you would also question the inspiration of the writings of Ellen White.
I need to know how you intend the above underlined words.

If you mean that some parts of Scripture are NOT inspired, this is NOT my view.

If you mean that ALL scripture has its origins from God, but some is more useful for our understanding of God and our understanding of the process of salvation, then I could agree with this.

Nor does 2 Timothy 3:16 state that all inspiration is equal, only that all of it has its origin in God and that all of it is useful.

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Green Cochoa] #151654
04/07/13 05:08 PM
04/07/13 05:08 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
My intent is not to say that the second commandment is valid but the fourth is not, for example.

It is more like: Matthew 11:28-30 "Come unto me, all you who labor..." is far more useful and instructive than Joshua 13:8-13 "The other half of Manasseh, the Reubenites and the Gadites had received the inheritance that Moses had given them east of the Jordan, as he, the servant of the LORD, had assigned it to them. It extended from Aroer on the rim of the Arnon Gorge, and from the town in the middle of the gorge, and included the whole plateau of Medeba as far as...(yawn)"

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: JAK] #151661
04/07/13 10:36 PM
04/07/13 10:36 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I was delayed over paperwork issues and ended up in a hotel for the night without being able to cross the border. So I have internet this morning, and a little time with it. Your post sheds some light on where you stand, but falls short of full clarity to me. Let's go through it a little at a time.

Originally Posted By: JAK
This brings up the whole question of "inspiration" generally, from "This morning I felt inspired to jog 10k." to God dictating the 10 Commandments. Where does EGW fall in this continuum?

Well, I do believe she falls within it somewhere, at least in some of her writings. (That'll be a shock to many. :o)

SDA typically espouse the "thought" inspiration rather than "verbal" inspiration, and I would agree with this...mmmostly. I believe some parts of the Bible were dictated verbatum. But I think the majority of Scripture is "Holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."

I have experienced thought inspiration once, so I know how that works. It was not a verbatim, word-for-word inspiration. In fact, I struggled to put the thoughts to their most accurate word representations. And I didn't like a few of the words I chose, but could come up with no better.

I agree that most of the Bible is written via thought inspiration. Some of it was word-for-word dictated. The Ten Commandments, for example, were written by God's own finger. But apparently only Moses read them in their original form, as they were placed inside the ark of the covenant where others, even the priests, never looked upon them. They are recorded in the Bible twice, with different wordings for each. This is informative.

I DON'T think she is a "false prophet." I disagree with the position that says: "Well, she is either true or false. There's no other choice."

To me, there are several choices. I believe she was a godly woman sincerely trying to do God's will as she understood it. She was influenced by the times, society, and environment in which she lived. I believe she made mistakes, and I believe some of the stuff she wrote was just plain wrong. Period.

I don't believe that inspiration is ever "just plain wrong." It might be helpful at this point to provide some statements that you feel fall into this category, and we can examine them.

I also believe that some of what she wrote is very useful, bordering on inspired, but NEVER at a Scriptural level.

In both statements I must emphasize the word "some."

This post is getting way too long.

Basically, it appears you believe in an "inspiration continuum" in which the level of inspiration can vary from "not at all" and/or "just plain wrong" all the way to "word-for-word dictated." Would this be an accurate representation of your view?

If so, how would one ever know for sure if something were sufficiently inspired to be of any usefulness to his or her spiritual life? How could one put faith into God's Word without being presumptuous?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Soul and Body sleep
by dedication. 05/31/24 04:10 PM
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 06/01/24 02:51 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!