HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: JAK] #151801
04/13/13 12:06 AM
04/13/13 12:06 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
This is for kland.

Originally Posted By: The Bible
35:11 Then ye shall appoint you cities to be cities of refuge for you; that the slayer may flee thither, which killeth any person at unawares.
35:12 And they shall be unto you cities for refuge from the avenger; that the manslayer die not, until he stand before the congregation in judgment.
35:13 And of these cities which ye shall give six cities shall ye have for refuge.
35:14 Ye shall give three cities on this side Jordan, and three cities shall ye give in the land of Canaan, [which] shall be cities of refuge.
35:15 These six cities shall be a refuge, [both] for the children of Israel, and for the stranger, and for the sojourner among them: that every one that killeth any person unawares may flee thither.
35:16 And if he smite him with an instrument of iron, so that he die, he [is] a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.
35:17 And if he smite him with throwing a stone, wherewith he may die, and he die, he [is] a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.
35:18 Or [if] he smite him with an hand weapon of wood, wherewith he may die, and he die, he [is] a murderer: the murderer shall surely be put to death.
35:19 The revenger of blood himself shall slay the murderer: when he meeteth him, he shall slay him.
35:20 But if he thrust him of hatred, or hurl at him by laying of wait, that he die;
35:21 Or in enmity smite him with his hand, that he die: he that smote [him] shall surely be put to death; [for] he [is] a murderer: the revenger of blood shall slay the murderer, when he meeteth him.
35:22 But if he thrust him suddenly without enmity, or have cast upon him any thing without laying of wait,
35:23 Or with any stone, wherewith a man may die, seeing [him] not, and cast [it] upon him, that he die, and [was] not his enemy, neither sought his harm:
35:24 Then the congregation shall judge between the slayer and the revenger of blood according to these judgments:
35:25 And the congregation shall deliver the slayer out of the hand of the revenger of blood, and the congregation shall restore him to the city of his refuge, whither he was fled: and he shall abide in it unto the death of the high priest, which was anointed with the holy oil.
35:26 But if the slayer shall at any time come without the border of the city of his refuge, whither he was fled;
35:27 And the revenger of blood find him without the borders of the city of his refuge, and the revenger of blood kill the slayer; he shall not be guilty of blood:
35:28 Because he should have remained in the city of his refuge until the death of the high priest: but after the death of the high priest the slayer shall return into the land of his possession.

Basically, the above passage defines any intentional act of killing, except for that of a lawful avengement, as "murder." So if you killed someone with a sword, it was intentional, not accidental. If you hit them with a bat, it was intentional, not accidental. If you threw a stone at them and killed them, it was intentional. If you used any kind of weapon or tool for killing, it was intentional, not accidental. Accidental killings were not counted as "murder." In our day, we would likely call it "involuntary manslaughter." What does that "involuntary" part mean? That is the essence of the Biblical perspective here.

If you intended to kill, except in the specific case of avengement, you were a murderer. If you were an avenger, you are expressly told that you must do your duty without "hatred" or "enmity" (hatred), without "laying of wait," without being his "enemy" or even seeking "his harm." (One should not be seeking the harm of the one he or she has forgiven.) Yet one had to comply with the law of avengement if he chanced to meet that killer outside of the city of refuge. Note that the avenger himself, after having fulfilled his duty, would have to flee to the city of refuge and stay in it to the death of the high priest, or be a candidate for avengement himself at the hand of the nearest of kin to the one he had killed. So it would have been an unpleasant duty. It's a sacrifice of one's life, in a sense, or at least one's freedom.

Basically the avenger was God's "prison guard." His prisoner was required to stay in prison, or face being killed by the guard. The guard's duty was to kill the individual should he meet him outside the city before the death of the high priest. At that point, the avenger himself would be a citizen of the city of refuge.

This has all been a sidetrack. But the Bible is clear. There are more passages that add more clarity to it. If you still have questions, you should look for them and study them for yourself.

I would classify this type of passage, with the explicit details in it that God has given, as one of those that should be "too plain to be misunderstood."

God bless,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: JAK] #151803
04/13/13 12:35 AM
04/13/13 12:35 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
(If it isn't inspired, it isn't from God, right?)

Originally Posted By: JAK
I would need to know what you intend by this phrase before agreeing or disagreeing.

I guess I meant exactly what I said. I understand from the Bible that "all scripture is given by inspiration of God." I also understand that "every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of light, with who is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." If it's inspired by God, it must be "good," right? Then the equation can go both ways, since the Bible says that if it was a "good gift," it was from God.

So we have the following logic:

A) Given: If it is "good" it comes from God. (James 1:17, Deut. 26:11)
B) Given: If it is "scripture" it is given by "inspiration of God." (2 Timothy 3:16)
C) Given: The word of God is "good." (Hebrews 6:5)
D) Therefore: Based on (B) above, if it isn't inspired by God, it cannot be scripture, for "all scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16); and joining (C) with (A) renders that all scripture must be good and come from God, inspired by Him. If, therefore, something is not inspired, it cannot be from God, nor part of "God's Word."

As for the "murder/kill" text you brought out...

This text was used for illustrative purposes to show how many variations in interpretation there are. Which one is correct, and who determines that?

As I have brought out, it is not of private interpretation, for the Bible itself defines it. (Please see my post to kland for details.) I would say that the Bible is correct.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Green Cochoa] #151808
04/13/13 05:02 AM
04/13/13 05:02 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
I'm still thinking about this.

OK, I'll accept that, although I'm not sure "good" really means anything, but I'll let that go.

B) Given: If it is "scripture" it is given by "inspiration of God." (2 Timothy 3:16)
Agreed, no argument.

Again, agreed.

D) Therefore: Based on (B) above, if it isn't inspired by God, it cannot be scripture, for "all scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Timothy 3:16); and joining (C) with (A) renders that all scripture must be good and come from God, inspired by Him. If, therefore, something is not inspired, it cannot be from God, nor part of "God's Word."
After much thought, I'll agree with this. I don't think I have said anything counter to this, at least not intentionally.**

As I have brought out, it is not of private interpretation, for the Bible itself defines it.
Now I have to know what "private interpretation" means. I maintain that this phrase refers primarily to the giving of Scripture, in that it comes from God and not the prophet/writer. A secondary understanding is that the reader should try to understand what the prophet/writer was trying to say. In this, he seeks the guidance of the Holy Spirit, who alone is the final interpreter of His words.

**There are some loop-holes in this statement, however, and that is the meaning of "all Scripture." Is the intent of this to say:
A) that all of Scripture is inspired or
B) that the sum total of all Scripture has been given, ie: contained in the Judeo-Christian canon; there is no other Scripture to be revealed.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Green Cochoa] #151809
04/13/13 05:05 AM
04/13/13 05:05 AM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
(Please see my post to kland for details.)
We have a good discussion going. kland is a side-track. I'll not be distracted.

Last edited by JAK; 04/13/13 05:06 AM.

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: JAK] #151812
04/13/13 01:06 PM
04/13/13 01:06 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
SIDE TRACK - JAK IGNORE
Originally Posted By: gc
This has all been a sidetrack. But the Bible is clear. There are more passages that add more clarity to it. If you still have questions, you should look for them and study them for yourself.

I would classify this type of passage, with the explicit details in it that God has given, as one of those that should be "too plain to be misunderstood."

Deuteronomy 24:1-4
1 When a man has taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favor in his eyes, because he has found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorce, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.
2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.
3 And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorce, and gives it in her hand, and sends her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;
4 Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and you shall not cause the land to sin, which the LORD your God gives you for an inheritance.

I would classify this as a "too plain to be misunderstood" passage.

Matthew 19:7-9
7 They say to him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorce, and to put her away?
8 He said to them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.
9 And I say to you, Whoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery: and whoever marries her which is put away does commit adultery.

Or maybe not...

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: JAK] #151814
04/13/13 02:19 PM
04/13/13 02:19 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I'm still thinking about this.

OK, I'll accept that, although I'm not sure "good" really means anything, but I'll let that go.

Agreed, no argument.

Again, agreed.

After much thought, I'll agree with this. I don't think I have said anything counter to this, at least not intentionally.**

As I have brought out, it is not of private interpretation, for the Bible itself defines it.
Now I have to know what "private interpretation" means. I maintain that this phrase refers primarily to the giving of Scripture, in that it comes from God and not the prophet/writer. A secondary understanding is that the reader should try to understand what the prophet/writer was trying to say. In this, he seeks the guidance of the Holy Spirit, who alone is the final interpreter of His words.

**There are some loop-holes in this statement, however, and that is the meaning of "all Scripture." Is the intent of this to say:
A) that all of Scripture is inspired or
B) that the sum total of all Scripture has been given, ie: contained in the Judeo-Christian canon; there is no other Scripture to be revealed.

To me, "private interpretation" means the placement of one's own opinions or ideas into the interpretive process relative to the scriptures such that God's Word and His Holy Spirit are not allowed to interpret the scriptures to us themselves.

Speaking of "all scripture is inspired," I understand this to mean that God's Word is always inspired by Him. I do not believe this statement has any relationship to the quantity of scripture nor to the sum of it. If it did, the "scripture" the text refers to is specifically that of the Old Testament. We would then have nothing to verify the inspiration of the New Testament.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: JAK] #151815
04/13/13 02:20 PM
04/13/13 02:20 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
(Please see my post to kland for details.)
We have a good discussion going. kland is a side-track. I'll not be distracted.

Agreed. I think APL is adding to the attempt, but I don't have time to pursue more sidetracks at this point that are not germane to the topic.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Green Cochoa] #151816
04/13/13 03:00 PM
04/13/13 03:00 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
To me, "private interpretation" means the placement of one's own opinions or ideas into the interpretive process relative to the scriptures such that God's Word and His Holy Spirit are not allowed to interpret the scriptures to us themselves.
I agree with this understanding as the secondary interpretation of the passage, the primary meaning being that the prophet/writer did not come up with the ideas themselves.
Therefore, the correct interpretation of a passage is that interpretation to which the Spirit leads the honest seeker. (Correct?)

Question: Can the seeker arrive at the correct conclusion on his own, meaning without the aid of others eg:the church, (Catholic or otherwise) the pastor, EGW, or is the correct understanding only arrived at by committees? (This is really a secondary question bordering on a side-track. You may ignore it if you want.)

Speaking of "all scripture is inspired," I understand this to mean that God's Word is always inspired by Him. I do not believe this statement has any relationship to the quantity of scripture nor to the sum of it. If it did, the "scripture" the text refers to is specifically that of the Old Testament. We would then have nothing to verify the inspiration of the New Testament.
Agreed. Good points. In fact Peter was refering to the OT when he made this statement, since there was no NT. How we got THAT is another discussion which I don't have the time resources to pursue at the moment.

I recognize that this does leave the door open for EGW to "be" Scripture...

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: JAK] #151817
04/13/13 03:35 PM
04/13/13 03:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: JAK, certain passages are too plain to require private interpretation. In such instances no one can justify odd or original conclusions.

J: I agree with that 100%. There are some passages I take at absolute face value and there is (essentially) no discussion.

Amen! I was praying about it this morning and the following insight came to mind:

Quote:
Hebrews
3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

2 Peter
3:15 And account [that] the longsuffering of our Lord [is] salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
3:16 As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

The word of God, like the character of its divine Author, presents mysteries that can never be fully comprehended by finite beings. The entrance of sin into the world, the incarnation of Christ, regeneration, the resurrection, and many other subjects presented in the Bible, are mysteries too deep for the human mind to explain, or even fully to comprehend. But we have no reason to doubt God's word because we cannot understand the mysteries of His providence. In the natural world we are constantly surrounded with mysteries that we cannot fathom. The very humblest forms of life present a problem that the wisest of philosophers is powerless to explain. Everywhere are wonders beyond our ken. Should we then be surprised to find that in the spiritual world also there are mysteries that we cannot fathom? The difficulty lies solely in the weakness and narrowness of the human mind. God has given us in the Scriptures sufficient evidence of their divine character, and we are not to doubt His word because we cannot understand all the mysteries of His providence. {SC 106.2}

The apostle Peter says that there are in Scripture "things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest . . . unto their own destruction." 2 Peter 3:16. The difficulties of Scripture have been urged by skeptics as an argument against the Bible; but so far from this, they constitute a strong evidence of its divine inspiration. If it contained no account of God but that which we could easily comprehend; if His greatness and majesty could be grasped by finite minds, then the Bible would not bear the unmistakable credentials of divine authority. The very grandeur and mystery of the themes presented should inspire faith in it as the word of God. {SC 107.1}

The Bible unfolds truth with a simplicity and a perfect adaptation to the needs and longings of the human heart, that has astonished and charmed the most highly cultivated minds, while it enables the humblest and uncultured to discern the way of salvation. And yet these simply stated truths lay hold upon subjects so elevated, so far-reaching, so infinitely beyond the power of human comprehension, that we can accept them only because God has declared them. Thus the plan of redemption is laid open to us, so that every soul may see the steps he is to take in repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ, in order to be saved in God's appointed way; yet beneath these truths, so easily understood, lie mysteries that are the hiding of His glory--mysteries that overpower the mind in its research, yet inspire the sincere seeker for truth with reverence and faith. The more he searches the Bible, the deeper is his conviction that it is the word of the living God, and human reason bows before the majesty of divine revelation. {SC 107.2}

To acknowledge that we cannot fully comprehend the great truths of the Bible is only to admit that the finite mind is inadequate to grasp the infinite; that man, with his limited, human knowledge, cannot understand the purposes of Omniscience. {SC 108.1}

Because they cannot fathom all its mysteries, the skeptic and the infidel reject God's word; and not all who profess to believe the Bible are free from danger on this point. The apostle says, "Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God." Hebrews 3:12. It is right to study closely the teachings of the Bible and to search into "the deep things of God" so far as they are revealed in Scripture. 1 Corinthians 2:10. While "the secret things belong unto the Lord our God," "those things which are revealed belong unto us." Deuteronomy 29:29. But it is Satan's work to pervert the investigative powers of the mind. A certain pride is mingled with the consideration of Bible truth, so that men feel impatient and defeated if they cannot explain every portion of Scripture to their satisfaction. It is too humiliating to them to acknowledge that they do not understand the inspired words. They are unwilling to wait patiently until God shall see fit to reveal the truth to them. They feel that their unaided human wisdom is sufficient to enable them to comprehend the Scripture, and failing to do this, they virtually deny its authority. It is true that many theories and doctrines popularly supposed to be derived from the Bible have no foundation in its teaching, and indeed are contrary to the whole tenor of inspiration. These things have been a cause of doubt and perplexity to many minds. They are not, however, chargeable to God's word, but to man's perversion of it. {SC 108.2}

If it were possible for created beings to attain to a full understanding of God and His works, then, having reached this point, there would be for them no further discovery of truth, no growth in knowledge, no further development of mind or heart. God would no longer be supreme; and man, having reached the limit of knowledge and attainment, would cease to advance. Let us thank God that it is not so. God is infinite; in Him are "all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Colossians 2:3. And to all eternity men may be ever searching, ever learning, and yet never exhaust the treasures of His wisdom, His goodness, and His power. {SC 109.1}

God intends that even in this life the truths of His word shall be ever unfolding to His people. There is only one way in which this knowledge can be obtained. We can attain to an understanding of God's word only through the illumination of that Spirit by which the word was given. "The things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God;" "for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God." 1 Corinthians 2:11, 10. And the Saviour's promise to His followers was, "When He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth. . . . For He shall receive of Mine, and shall show it unto you." John 16:13, 14. {SC 109.2}

God desires man to exercise his reasoning powers; and the study of the Bible will strengthen and elevate the mind as no other study can. Yet we are to beware of deifying reason, which is subject to the weakness and infirmity of humanity. If we would not have the Scriptures clouded to our understanding, so that the plainest truths shall not be comprehended, we must have the simplicity and faith of a little child, ready to learn, and beseeching the aid of the Holy Spirit. A sense of the power and wisdom of God, and of our inability to comprehend His greatness, should inspire us with humility, and we should open His word, as we would enter His presence, with holy awe. When we come to the Bible, reason must acknowledge an authority superior to itself, and heart and intellect must bow to the great I AM. {SC 109.3}

There are many things apparently difficult or obscure, which God will make plain and simple to those who thus seek an understanding of them. But without the guidance of the Holy Spirit we shall be continually liable to wrest the Scriptures or to misinterpret them. There is much reading of the Bible that is without profit and in many cases a positive injury. When the word of God is opened without reverence and without prayer; when the thoughts and affections are not fixed upon God, or in harmony with His will, the mind is clouded with doubts; and in the very study of the Bible, skepticism strengthens. The enemy takes control of the thoughts, and he suggests interpretations that are not correct. Whenever men are not in word and deed seeking to be in harmony with God, then, however learned they may be, they are liable to err in their understanding of Scripture, and it is not safe to trust to their explanations. Those who look to the Scriptures to find discrepancies, have not spiritual insight. With distorted vision they will see many causes for doubt and unbelief in things that are really plain and simple. {SC 110.1}

Disguise it as they may, the real cause of doubt and skepticism, in most cases, is the love of sin. The teachings and restrictions of God's word are not welcome to the proud, sin-loving heart, and those who are unwilling to obey its requirements are ready to doubt its authority. In order to arrive at truth, we must have a sincere desire to know the truth and a willingness of heart to obey it. And all who come in this spirit to the study of the Bible will find abundant evidence that it is God's word, and they may gain an understanding of its truths that will make them wise unto salvation. {SC 111.1}

Christ has said, "If any man willeth to do His will, he shall know of the teaching." John 7:17, R.V. Instead of questioning and caviling concerning that which you do not understand, give heed to the light that already shines upon you, and you will receive greater light. By the grace of Christ, perform every duty that has been made plain to your understanding, and you will be enabled to understand and perform those of which you are now in doubt. {SC 111.2}

There is an evidence that is open to all,--the most highly educated, and the most illiterate,--the evidence of experience. God invites us to prove for ourselves the reality of His word, the truth of His promises. He bids us "taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8. Instead of depending upon the word of another, we are to taste for ourselves. He declares, "Ask, and ye shall receive." John 16:24. His promises will be fulfilled. They have never failed; they never can fail. And as we draw near to Jesus, and rejoice in the fullness of His love, our doubt and darkness will disappear in the light of His presence. {SC 111.3}

The apostle Paul says that God "hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son." Colossians 1:13. And everyone who has passed from death unto life is able to "set to his seal that God is true." John 3:33. He can testify, "I needed help, and I found it in Jesus. Every want was supplied, the hunger of my soul was satisfied; and now the Bible is to me the revelation of Jesus Christ. Do you ask why I believe in Jesus? Because He is to me a divine Saviour. Why do I believe the Bible? Because I have found it to be the voice of God to my soul." We may have the witness in ourselves that the Bible is true, that Christ is the Son of God. We know that we are not following cunningly devised fables. {SC 112.1}

Peter exhorts his brethren to "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." 2 Peter 3:18. When the people of God are growing in grace, they will be constantly obtaining a clearer understanding of His word. They will discern new light and beauty in its sacred truths. This has been true in the history of the church in all ages, and thus it will continue to the end. "The path of the righteous is as the light of dawn, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day." Proverbs 4:18, R.V., margin. {SC 112.2}

1. The difficulty lies solely in the weakness and narrowness of the human mind.

2. And yet these simply stated truths lay hold upon subjects so elevated, so far-reaching, so infinitely beyond the power of human comprehension, that we can accept them only because God has declared them.

3. The more he searches the Bible, the deeper is his conviction that it is the word of the living God, and human reason bows before the majesty of divine revelation.

4. A certain pride is mingled with the consideration of Bible truth, so that men feel impatient and defeated if they cannot explain every portion of Scripture to their satisfaction. It is too humiliating to them to acknowledge that they do not understand the inspired words. They are unwilling to wait patiently until God shall see fit to reveal the truth to them. They feel that their unaided human wisdom is sufficient to enable them to comprehend the Scripture, and failing to do this, they virtually deny its authority.

5. It is true that many theories and doctrines popularly supposed to be derived from the Bible have no foundation in its teaching, and indeed are contrary to the whole tenor of inspiration. These things have been a cause of doubt and perplexity to many minds. They are not, however, chargeable to God's word, but to man's perversion of it.

6. There are many things apparently difficult or obscure, which God will make plain and simple to those who thus seek an understanding of them. But without the guidance of the Holy Spirit we shall be continually liable to wrest the Scriptures or to misinterpret them.

7. Those who look to the Scriptures to find discrepancies, have not spiritual insight. With distorted vision they will see many causes for doubt and unbelief in things that are really plain and simple.

8. Disguise it as they may, the real cause of doubt and skepticism, in most cases, is the love of sin. The teachings and restrictions of God's word are not welcome to the proud, sin-loving heart, and those who are unwilling to obey its requirements are ready to doubt its authority.

9. In order to arrive at truth, we must have a sincere desire to know the truth and a willingness of heart to obey it. And all who come in this spirit to the study of the Bible will find abundant evidence that it is God's word, and they may gain an understanding of its truths that will make them wise unto salvation.

10. Why do I believe the Bible? Because I have found it to be the voice of God to my soul." We may have the witness in ourselves that the Bible is true, that Christ is the Son of God. We know that we are not following cunningly devised fables.

Re: Why or why not accept Mrs. White as a prophet? [Re: Mountain Man] #151818
04/13/13 03:44 PM
04/13/13 03:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
In fact Peter was refering to the OT when he made this statement, since there was no NT.

Peter also considered Paul's writings inspired.

Quote:
2 Peter
3:15 And account [that] the longsuffering of our Lord [is] salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
3:16 As also in all [his] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as [they do] also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Paul's "epistles" are equated with "the other scriptures".

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!