HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15203
08/03/05 11:09 PM
08/03/05 11:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
quote:
To see that Satan had sinned, it suffices to understand that pardon would not have been offered had sin not been committed.

Again, this is an assumption. Nowhere does she say Satan had “sinned” by the time God offered to restore him to his former position.

quote:
Man's mind had been darkened by the sophistry of Satan. By beholding God's love, man might be brought back to God.

This would have been immediately evident to Adam and Eve. Thus, it could have been revolved before they ever had children. Obviously, more was needed to pardon them, namely, the death penalty must be executed. It was needful to satisfy the demands of Justice (God).

Yes, the death of Jesus also demonstates the loving character of God, and many other things, but not to the exclusion of Justice.

quote:
Originally posted by MM:

Do you also believe Eve sinned before she ate the forbidden fruit?

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15204
08/04/05 01:36 AM
08/04/05 01:36 AM
M
myarsman  Offline
North Carolina
Tom,

What causes unbelief?

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15205
08/05/05 03:11 AM
08/05/05 03:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom: To see that Satan had sinned, it suffices to understand that pardon would not have been offered had sin not been committed.

MM: Again, this is an assumption.

Tom: It's an assumption that pardon would not have been offered had not been committed?!?! What do you think pardon is?

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15206
08/05/05 03:35 AM
08/05/05 03:35 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Do you also believe Eve sinned before she ate the forbidden fruit?
No, Eve was created sinless. Before she committed her first sin, she had never sinned.

I'm sorry, but I'm not understanding the question, or the rational for it. Of course she hadn't sinned before she sinned.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15207
08/04/05 04:02 PM
08/04/05 04:02 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Again, Sister White did not teach that Lucifer had sinned by the time God offered to restore him. You are assuming that he had already sinned. Yes, pardon can be given in cases not involving sin.

I asked about Eve because there are people who believe she sinned the moment she wandered from Adam's side. Others believe she sinned when she tarried to talked with the serpent. Still others believe she sinned when she questioned God's prohibition. Some believe she sinned when she touched the forbidden fruit. But I believe she didn't sin until she actually ate it.

Like Lucifer, I believe Eve could have been pardoned, without the death of Jesus, for everything she did up until she actually ate the forbidden fruit. Do you agree?

Are you going to respond to this insight posted above?
quote:
This would have been immediately evident to Adam and Eve. Thus, it could have been revolved before they ever had children. Obviously, more was needed to pardon them, namely, the death penalty must be executed. It was needful to satisfy the demands of Justice (God).

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15208
08/04/05 04:19 PM
08/04/05 04:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
quote:
Tom,

What causes unbelief?

Great question, Bob! I never thought of this.

The first thing that comes to mind that talks about unbelief is John 3. Let's see what that says:

quote:
17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. 18 He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil (John 3:17-19)
In the case of Eve, unbelief was provoked by the serpent. After she "unbelieved", her unbelief was further enhanced by the change of nature she undertook. So for us, unbelief is natural. We need something to counteract the unbelief, which is what God has provided for us through Jesus Christ.

quote:
Hanging upon the cross Christ was the gospel. Now we have a message, "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sins of the world." Will not our church members keep their eyes fixed on a crucified and risen Saviour, in whom their hopes of eternal life are centered? This is our message, our argument, our doctrine, our warning to the impenitent, our encouragement for the sorrowing, the hope for every believer. If we can awaken an interest in men's minds that will cause them to fix their eyes on Christ, we may step aside, and ask them only to continue to fix their eyes upon the Lamb of God. They thus receive their lesson. Whosoever will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. He whose eyes are fixed on Jesus will leave all. He will die to selfishness. He will believe in all the Word of God, which is so gloriously and wonderfully exalted in Christ.

As the sinner sees Jesus as He is, an all compassionate Saviour, hope and assurance take possession of his soul. The helpless soul is cast without any reservation upon Jesus. None can bear away from the vision of Christ Jesus crucified a lingering doubt. Unbelief is gone (MS 49, 1898).

I know we were avoiding quotes, but this is such a good one, I couldn't help myself.

Back to your original question, regarding what causes unbelief, I would say originally, unbelief arose out of Eve's choice to believe the serpent's lies. Then sin itself fostered a false image of God's character, which led the first pair to hide from God, being afraid of Him and ashamed. So the root problem of unbelief is an incorrect view of God's character. This false view is corrected when we see the truth about God, as revealed in His Son.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15209
08/05/05 02:27 AM
08/05/05 02:27 AM
M
myarsman  Offline
North Carolina
Tom,

Please wait until this weekend so that we can discuss this further. There is something very important that I wish to share with you.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15210
08/05/05 05:36 PM
08/05/05 05:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Again, Sister White did not teach that Lucifer had sinned by the time God offered to restore him. You are assuming that he had already sinned. Yes, pardon can be given in cases not involving sin.

Tom: She listed the sins he committed, and then said God offered "again and again" to pardon him. I don't know how much evidence you need on this point. She also stated that Satan could have been restored on the condition of repentance. So we have:

1) Satan sinned repeated. These sins were listed. They included misrepresenting God, and secretly and deviously gaining support for his false accusations. These are stated in the GC88 quote.
2) God offered "again and again" to "pardon" Satan. Now "pardon" means "forgiveness" or "a warrant granting release from punishment for an offense." I challenge you to find ONE TIME in all the 100,000+ pages of the Spirit of Prophesy where she uses the word "pardon" in the context of repentance where it is not referring to sin.
3) The condition also involved "repentance". Satan would have to repent.

Let's take a closer look at the description from GC88:

quote:
Leaving his place in the immediate presence of God, Lucifer went forth to diffuse the spirit of discontent among the angels. Working with mysterious secrecy, and for a time concealing his real purpose under an appearance of reverence for God, he endeavored to excite dissatisfaction concerning the laws that governed heavenly beings, intimating that they imposed an unnecessary restraint. Since their natures were holy, he urged that the angels should obey the dictates of their own will. He sought to create sympathy for himself, by representing that God had dealt unjustly with him in bestowing supreme honor upon Christ. He claimed that in aspiring to greater power and honor he was not aiming at self-exaltation, but was seeking to secure liberty for all the inhabitants of Heaven, that by this means they might attain to a higher state of existence. {GC88 495.2}
Look at what Satan did:
1)He diffused a spirit of discontent among the angels.
2)He concealed his real purpose under a false guise.
3)He sought to create sympathy for himself.
4)He lied as to his real purpose (claiming it was not for self-exaltation).

So here we see that not only was Satan sinning, but he was knowingly sinning. If he didn't know what he were doing, he wouldn't have concealed his real purpose under a false guise. He would have openly voiced his discontent. His whole purpose was self-exaltation, and he resorted to lying, misrepresentations, and concealing his purposes.

Just after this we read:

quote:
He had not at this time fully cast off his allegiance to God. Though he had forsaken his position as covering cherub, yet if he had been willing to return to God, acknowledging the Creator's wisdom, and satisfied to fill the place appointed him in God's great plan, he would have been re-instated in his office.
So even though Lucifer had been sinning, he had not committed the unpardonable sin. He had not fully cast off his allegiance to God. Until this point, he could have returned, under the condition of repentance and submission. It was only after he crossed the point of no return that he could go back.

It was not due to any decision on God's part that Satan could not return, but due to Satan's own intransigence. It took a long time to reach this point, and many refusals of pardon.

quote:
He persistently defended his own course, maintained that he had no need of repentance, and fully committed himself, in the great controversy, against his Maker.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15211
08/05/05 05:47 PM
08/05/05 05:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Ok, Bob, I'll keep an eye out. MM; I'll respond to the rest of your post later, although I'll say I think Eve sinned when she ate of the fruit, because the command was not to eat of the fruit.

Re: Another look at why Jesus had to die? #15212
08/05/05 06:54 PM
08/05/05 06:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the following quote makes it clear Lucifer hadn't sinned by the time God offered to restore him. In the same way Eve hadn't sinned until she actually ate the fruit, though she doubted God's word, Lucifer hadn't sinned until he "place[d] himself in open rebellion."
quote:
PP 39, 40

In great mercy, according to His divine character, God bore long with Lucifer. The spirit of discontent and disaffection had never before been known in heaven. It was a new element, strange, mysterious, unaccountable. Lucifer himself had not at first been acquainted with the real nature of his feelings; for a time he had feared to express the workings and imaginings of his mind; yet he did not dismiss them. He did not see whither he was drifting. But such efforts as infinite love and wisdom only could devise, were made to convince him of his error. His disaffection was proved to be without cause, and he was made to see what would be the result of persisting in revolt.

Lucifer was convinced that he was in the wrong. He saw that "the Lord is righteous in all His ways, and holy in all His works" (Psalm 145:17); that the divine statutes are just, and that he ought to acknowledge them as such before all heaven. Had he done this, he might have saved himself and many angels. He had not at that time fully cast off his allegiance to God. Though he had left his position as covering cherub, yet if he had been willing to return to God, acknowledging the Creator's wisdom, and satisfied to fill the place appointed him in God's great plan, he would have been reinstated in his office.

The time had come for a final decision; he must fully yield to the divine sovereignty or place himself in open rebellion. He nearly reached the decision to return, but pride forbade him. It was too great a sacrifice for one who had been so highly honored to confess that he had been in error, that his imaginings were false, and to yield to the authority which he had been working to prove unjust. {PP 39.1}

A compassionate Creator, in yearning pity for Lucifer and his followers, was seeking to draw them back from the abyss of ruin into which they were about to plunge. But His mercy was misinterpreted. Lucifer pointed to the long-suffering of God as an evidence of his own superiority, an indication that the King of the universe would yet accede to his terms. If the angels would stand firmly with him, he declared, they could yet gain all that they desired. He persistently defended his own course, and fully committed himself to the great controversy against his Maker.

Thus it was that Lucifer, "the light bearer," the sharer of God's glory, the attendant of His throne, by transgression became Satan, "the adversary" of God and holy beings and the destroyer of those whom Heaven had committed to his guidance and guardianship. {PP 39.2}

Pardon and repentance do not always involve sin. For example,

Genesis 6:7
And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

2 Kings
5:18 In this thing the LORD pardon thy servant, [that] when my master goeth into the house of Rimmon to worship there, and he leaneth on my hand, and I bow myself in the house of Rimmon: when I bow down myself in the house of Rimmon, the LORD pardon thy servant in this thing.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!