HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Gregory] #153409
06/20/13 04:29 PM
06/20/13 04:29 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Our doors are open to anybody who wishes to attend.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Daryl] #153445
06/21/13 03:59 AM
06/21/13 03:59 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Daryl
Our doors are open to anybody who wishes to attend.
So are ours. My home church in my native land, while many would consider it quite "conservative," and perhaps expect otherwise, is one of the most welcoming and friendly around. It doesn't matter what you wear, look like, smell like, or act like, you are welcome.

There is one small exception. We have a hard time providing proper supervision for registered sex-offenders as required by law. There are many small children in the church, and we have had a hard time keeping a lookout when a pedophile attends church. So far, I'm unaware of any time the pedophile had to be turned away, but in our small church, it may have to happen if we don't have a deacon available to watch him full time at church--for legal reasons.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Green Cochoa] #153449
06/21/13 10:05 AM
06/21/13 10:05 AM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
The protection of children, or other people, is a valid issue. So could be the protection of property. WE would not be required to allow someone to attend who attempts to set the building on fire. There clearly can be times when individuals would not be allowed on the property. Frankly, the church in Russia had a right to protect its property against the people who invaded it.

You tell us that your home church is welcoming. I accept your statement as truth. I am simply confused by your strong objection to the Bulletin statement that welcomed people to attend.

My only logical conclusion would be that your home church welcomes, but you personally do not. But, I am certain that if I were to suggest that you would tell me that I am wrong. smile So, I do not know what to make of your very strong statements, even citing EGW. Well, I guess I shall just remain confused. smile

Last edited by Gregory; 06/21/13 10:06 AM.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Gregory] #153457
06/21/13 11:58 AM
06/21/13 11:58 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Gregory,

Perhaps you should read again my original post in this thread. It might just be that you have been led to think the worst of me, to the point where you missed my actual position.

I will state it more clearly, however. I am against announcing this sort of thing. I am not against welcoming anyone who should choose to attend church. I think we will do better, however, to let the Holy Spirit lead the right ones into the church.

Satan has people he would like to invite to church too. He does this all of the time. While it is not our duty, necessarily, to turn them away (how can we judge their hearts?), it should not be our role to assist the devil in collecting to our fellowship such as might come for the wrong reasons.

I'll use an example to help make my point.

Many years ago, when I was about that age myself, I saw a video advertisement from one of our universities. Let's call it "Valleyville Adventist University" (VAU). I happened to see a similar advertisement from another of our universities--let's call the second one "Maple River University" (MRU). (Any resemblance to actual Adventist institutions is unintended.) The video from VAU depicted young people enjoying all kinds of fun and entertaining sorts of things, like white-water rafting, sports, etc. The young people in it looked like they were having the time of their life. The video from MRU was more down-to-earth in its style. It presented a more spiritual focus, and emphasized the caring of the faculty and the life-preparation to be gained at their university.

I became acquainted with both of these universities. The students and faculty at MRU were much more interested in spiritual things. The students at VAU often had an attitude toward religion, and favored more secular worldviews.

Now, do I think the promotional materials had anything to do with this? You can be assured that I do.

My question, then, is this: What are we promoting? Are we lifting up Christ, and His love? or are we trying to make friends with the world, regardless if they are converted in heart or not?

Put another way, "I, if I be lifted up, will draw all men to me." We have no need to focus on all of the categories of sinners and say that each one is welcome. Why shouldn't they be if they are drawn in by Christ? Where is our focus? Look to Jesus! Jesus will draw them.

We just need to present Christ. That is our duty. It is then the duty of the Holy Spirit to convict and to draw people to Christ.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Green Cochoa] #153458
06/21/13 12:11 PM
06/21/13 12:11 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Here is a better statement that expresses my reservations against inviting the world into the church.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Christ and the world are not in partnership. The apostle says, "Know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? Whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God." "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him." Conformity to the world will never be the means of converting the world to Christ. Christians must be entirely consecrated to God, if the church is to be efficient in its influence for good upon unbelievers. The slightest diversion from Christ is so much influence, power, and efficiency given to the enemy. The church was called into existence to counteract the influence of Satan; but as member after member of the church allows his ability and power to be diverted, one in one line and another in another line, connections are formed with the world, and the enemy of all righteousness triumphs. Almost imperceptibly the world's standard, the world's maxims and customs, are introduced into the church; and as these find room, the objectionable maxims and customs more boldly appear, and leaven the influence of the church; and Satan's devices are successful, just as he has designed they should be. In this way there is brought into the church a mixed company, a divided service. Many profess to love God, yet they are serving mammon, and bowing at worldly shrines. The world is brought into the church, but not through repentance, contrition, and conversion, but because church-members become wedded to the world; and this unholy union is the explanation of the weakness and inefficiency of the church. It is made manifest when church-members follow the maxims of the world, that spiritual discernment is gone. Where this union is preserved, contention, criticism, faultfinding, strife, and decided hatred one of another comes in among those who should be servants of Jesus Christ. {RH, August 23, 1892 par. 2}

Those who profess to be followers of Christ, should be living agencies, co-operating with heavenly intelligences; but by union with the world, the character of God's people becomes tarnished, and through amalgamation with the corrupt, the fine gold becomes dim. When worldly agencies are introduced into the church, it is evident that Satan is carrying out his devices, working through those who profess to be followers of Christ, making them ready at any time to engage with him in disheartening and discouraging those who are faithful, who would stand wholly on the Lord's side. {RH, August 23, 1892 par. 3}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Green Cochoa] #153460
06/21/13 01:04 PM
06/21/13 01:04 PM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
I will state it more clearly, however. I am against announcing this sort of thing. I am not against welcoming anyone who should choose to attend church. I think we will do better, however, to let the Holy Spirit lead the right ones into the church.

Our public evangelism is based upon public announcements that seek to bring people to the meetings.

I will be the 1st to say that the Church in End Time has two (2) objectives. But one of those is what is summed by the word "evangelism." Evangelism, in the public sense (NOTE: There is more than one form of evangelism.) seeks to do exactly what that bulletin attempted to do.

As I have said: If I were to be a congregational pastor again, I would seek to have my Sabbath services of such content that members of the community would feel free to attend and those Sabbath services would be evangelistic in nature.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Green Cochoa] #153462
06/21/13 01:08 PM
06/21/13 01:08 PM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
Here is a better statement that expresses my reservations against inviting the world into the church.

Green: In my opinon, your citation from EGW has nothing to do with the issue here.

Inviting people to attend SDA services, which is exactly what that bulletin announcement did, is not inviting the world into the church. It is inviting people, of any stripe to come and hear the message that God wants proclaimed in this the End Time.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Gregory] #153464
06/21/13 01:22 PM
06/21/13 01:22 PM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Let me give you an example:

Last week a young male showed up at our SDA chruch. He was, in appearance, one whom Green might call riff-raff.

My wife and I are one of three couples who took a prepared lunch to a near-by part to eat together. We suspected that this male did not have a food to eat, so we invite him to join us which he did.

He is not SDA. He has been married to a SDA woman for the past 18 months. Reading between the lines, it is probable that she was not strongly attached to the SDA chruch at the time she married him. But she did marry him. It was through her that he became aquainted with the SDA church.

In his words, he believes that the SDA Church is teaching Biblical truth.

Six weeks ago, he moved to Colorado in search of a different future in his life. His wife remains in another State for a period of time. But, they remain in a committed marriage.

He showed up at our congregation looking for a congregation in which he can feel comfortable in worshiping--as he said as someone who dresses like he does. We made him feel comfortable.

It is clear that he is not high on the socieo-eccomnomic scale and likely neither is his wife. It is clear that we will need to establish boundaries with him and we have begun to do so. He will clearly need the services of our social-welfare agencies. He will need both guidance and directive interventions.

If he is willing to participate, we will lead him along a path to greater integration into the social society of this day and into a greater understanding of the Chrisian life.

In the mean time, we welcome him, dressed as he is and as he is. It will be his choice as to how he responds to our associaiton.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Gregory] #153467
06/21/13 03:06 PM
06/21/13 03:06 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Quote:
Christ commits to His followers an individual work--a work that cannot be done by proxy. Ministry to the sick and the poor, the giving of the gospel to the lost, is not to be left to committees or organized charities. Individual responsibility, individual effort, personal sacrifice, is the requirement of the gospel. {MH 147.4}

"Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in," is Christ's command, "that My house may be filled." He brings men into touch with those whom they seek to benefit. "Bring the poor that are cast out to thy house," He says. "When thou seest the naked, that thou cover him." "They shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Luke 14:23; Isaiah 58:7; Mark 16:18. Through direct contact, through personal ministry, the blessings of the gospel are to be communicated. {MH 147.5}

Originally Posted By: green
Instead of announcing to the world the kind of riff-raff you are willing to accept, why not pray that the Holy Spirit will send those who are open to receive Him?

A work that cannot be done by proxy - - Green - I don't think this means to just pray that the Holy Spirit will lead people to the church. It is saying we must have an active roll. NOTE - we are to go out and COMPEL them to come in, all that riff-raff.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: APL] #153475
06/21/13 06:58 PM
06/21/13 06:58 PM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA

Green, if you will permit me to slight change what EGW said, here is something to think about:

Quote:
Go out into the riff-raff, and compel them to come in," is Christ's command, "that My house may be filled."

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!