HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Kevin H
Kevin H
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Gregory] #153516
06/23/13 03:01 AM
06/23/13 03:01 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Gregory,

Where is our focus?

I'm back to square one--preach the truth and let the Holy Spirit convict. It is not the sort of truth I'm interested in to have us preaching that we will welcome sinners of any stripe. We have no business saying that everyone can join our church. Who's church is it? Our business is to carry out our Father's will.

Can you find me ANY example from inspiration telling us that we should welcome to our fellowship a rainbow of "stripes" as were represented in the original bulletin announcement posted in this thread? To the contrary, I find examples in the Bible to tell us expressly NOT to allow certain ones into our congregation. Here is one such example:

Originally Posted By: The Bible
Deuteronomy
23:2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.
23:3 An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the LORD for ever:
23:4 Because they met you not with bread and with water in the way, when ye came forth out of Egypt; and because they hired against thee Balaam the son of Beor of Pethor of Mesopotamia, to curse thee.
23:5 Nevertheless the LORD thy God would not hearken unto Balaam; but the LORD thy God turned the curse into a blessing unto thee, because the LORD thy God loved thee.
23:6 Thou shalt not seek their peace nor their prosperity all thy days for ever.
23:7 Thou shalt not abhor an Edomite; for he [is] thy brother: thou shalt not abhor an Egyptian; because thou wast a stranger in his land.
23:8 The children that are begotten of them shall enter into the congregation of the LORD in their third generation.

Interestingly, the Israelites were not only to exclude these people from the congregation of the Lord, but they were not even to seek their peace.

I get the "highways and byways." But does God want bums and hobos in the church? or does God want high-class, respectable people as the citizens of His kingdom? Oh no, don't get me wrong...I'm not saying we are to turn away the oppressed, the poor, the downtrodden of society, or the sinner. We are all sinners. But God wants to elevate His citizens from this sort of mire and bring real treasure out of them.

Mrs. White counsels us more than once to reach the upper classes. She speaks to those of high education that they should use their talents to reach the higher classes. Why? Why not just send them out into the slums to find any willing hearer? The answer to this question lies in seeing things from God's perspective. It's not easy, for us, to understand how God sees things. But that is why we have Mrs. White's counsels to help us.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Green Cochoa] #153520
06/23/13 03:29 AM
06/23/13 03:29 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
the Moabite - - Hm - why is it again we have the Book of Ruth in the Bible? Why is it that Rahab the harlot, is in the line of Christ?

Green - STOP DIGGING! Your hole is deep enough!

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Green Cochoa] #153521
06/23/13 03:39 AM
06/23/13 03:39 AM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
I'm back to square one--preach the truth and let the Holy Spirit convict. It is not the sort of truth I'm interested in to have us preaching that we will welcome sinners of any stripe. We have no business saying that everyone can join our church. Who's church is it? Our business is to carry out our Father's will.

Who said that everyone can join the church? You have been told several times in posts here that the bulletin was simply a welcome to attend. It was not about membership. It was not about leadership.

The bulletin simply invited people to attend services. There is a reason for each person who might attend. That reason just might be the leading of the Holy Spirit.

AS I have said, more than once. If I were to go back to being a congregational pastor, I would want to have every Sabbath focused on evangelism with the community at large welcome to attend.

Evangelism is one of the two missions of the Church, given by God, for End Time.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: APL] #153522
06/23/13 03:48 AM
06/23/13 03:48 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
the Moabite - - Hm - why is it again we have the Book of Ruth in the Bible? Why is it that Rahab the harlot, is in the line of Christ?

Green - STOP DIGGING! Your hole is deep enough!

Who's hole is it?

I didn't make the statement about the Moabite. God did. Do you accept what the Bible says?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Gregory] #153526
06/23/13 05:05 AM
06/23/13 05:05 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Gregory
Who said that everyone can join the church? You have been told several times in posts here that the bulletin was simply a welcome to attend. It was not about membership. It was not about leadership.

I see no problem with welcoming people to attend. But if I say, for example, "coffee drinkers are welcome to attend our church," I imply that coffee drinking is an acceptable behavior and will not be condemned in my church, don't I? Wouldn't it seem a little rude to invite the coffee drinkers and to then tell them why they shouldn't drink coffee? I think it's better to say "YOU are welcome to attend our church." I am then left with the option of teaching the health message at the church without appearing hypocritical.

The bulletin simply invited people to attend services. There is a reason for each person who might attend. That reason just might be the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Inasmuch as it is the Holy Spirit, I have no objection.

AS I have said, more than once. If I were to go back to being a congregational pastor, I would want to have every Sabbath focused on evangelism with the community at large welcome to attend.

Evangelism is one of the two missions of the Church, given by God, for End Time.

I wholeheartedly agree with focusing on evangelism. I think our churches in general focus too little upon outreach and too much on "inreach" (self).

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Green Cochoa] #153558
06/23/13 10:52 AM
06/23/13 10:52 AM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
I see no problem with welcoming people to attend. But if I say, for example, "coffee drinkers are welcome to attend our church," I imply that coffee drinking is an acceptable behavior and will not be condemned in my church, don't I? Wouldn't it seem a little rude to invite the coffee drinkers and to then tell them why they shouldn't drink coffee? I think it's better to say "YOU are welcome to attend our church." I am then left with the option of teaching the health message at the church without appearing hypocritical.

Not at all.

I am simply astounded by that position that you take.

To invite a coffee drinker to attend church is not an approval of drinking coffee. To invite such does not hinder you from telling that person that coffee drinking is not acceptable.

I feel at a loss as to how to respond to you. As I thought this I said to myself: Lord how can I respond? Instantly the story recorded in Matthew 22:1-14 flashed into my mind.

Look closely at that story: In verse 9 the servants of the king were commanded to invite anyone they could find standing on the street corner. One might call those the riff-raff. In verse 10 it is said that they invited the bad as well as the good. NOTE: I looked it up in the NIV.

Last edited by Gregory; 06/23/13 10:55 AM.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Gregory] #153559
06/23/13 11:08 AM
06/23/13 11:08 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Gregory,

I noticed that aspect of the good and bad both being invited a couple of weeks ago when I read that parable myself. It is interesting, isn't it? But what do we see a few verses later? The man without a wedding garment was cast out.

What are we inviting the people to? If it is a wedding, they must have a wedding garment on. If we are inviting people to church, they must be coming to shed their worldly ways and to learn at the feet of the cross.

Jesus invites all. But He never speaks of inviting "gays" or "lesbians" or "adulterers" to church. In fact, He speaks against these, doesn't He? Does Jesus invite the "goats" to church or the "sheep?"

This invites a question that I will ask following this quote from Mrs. White.
Originally Posted By: Ellen White
A profession of religion has become popular with the world. Rulers, politicians, lawyers, doctors, merchants, join the church as a means of securing the respect and confidence of society, and advancing their own worldly interests. Thus they seek to cover all their unrighteous transactions under a profession of Christianity. The various religious bodies, re-enforced by the wealth and influence of these baptized worldlings, make a still higher bid for popularity and patronage. Splendid churches, embellished in the most extravagant manner, are erected on popular avenues. The worshipers array themselves in costly and fashionable attire. A high salary is paid for a talented minister to entertain and attract the people. His sermons must not touch popular sins, but be made smooth and pleasing for fashionable ears. Thus fashionable sinners are enrolled on the church-records, and fashionable sins are concealed under a pretense of godliness. God looks down upon these apostate bodies, and declares them daughters of a harlot. To secure the favor and support of the great men of earth, they have broken their solemn vows of allegiance and fidelity to the King of Heaven. {4SP 234.1}

At what point are people ready to join the church? Should the "goats" be invited to join? When Christ calls His sheep, and they follow, were they not following Him when they joined His church?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Gregory] #153562
06/23/13 02:30 PM
06/23/13 02:30 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Quote:

Not at all.

I am simply astounded by that position that you take.

To invite a coffee drinker to attend church is not an approval of drinking coffee. To invite such does not hinder you from telling that person that coffee drinking is not acceptable.

I feel at a loss as to how to respond to you. As I thought this I said to myself: Lord how can I respond? Instantly the story recorded in Matthew 22:1-14 flashed into my mind.

Look closely at that story: In verse 9 the servants of the king were commanded to invite anyone they could find standing on the street corner. One might call those the riff-raff. In verse 10 it is said that they invited the bad as well as the good. NOTE: I looked it up in the NIV.

Gregory,

I just re-read your post and caught what may have been a miscommunication of what I had attempted to express. Had I understood it the way you may have, I would also have been "astounded."

Let me attempt to clarify. I would gladly, happily, and without a second thought, invite any coffee drinker I might have opportunity to invite to come to church. What I might NOT do, however, is to announce to them that "Coffee drinkers are welcome." There is no need to point out the fact that some people drink coffee.

Two points can be made about this:

1) Would it imply to the coffee drinker, right up front as it were, that they were in an unacceptable position? I mean, let's be real, what would YOU think if you saw a bulletin announcement that said coffee drinkers, homosexuals, fat people, ugly people, people who have problems with organized religion, etc. were all invited to the church? Would you not see that the church was tacitly recognizing that these groups were ordinarily unacceptable? Would you feel truly welcome if you were in one of those categories of people?

There are different personalities. I'll speak for myself--if I were to attend under such circumstances, I would feel a bit odd and uncomfortable, even if the people were friendly.

2) If you truly have established that such categories of people are welcome, and you have put this in print, I think it will tend to make church members and leadership think twice about addressing any of those "categories" with those who might choose to come.

Better to just invite them simply to "come," like we see in the following quote. Keep it simple.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Not upon the ordained minister only rests the responsibility of going forth to fulfill this commission. Everyone who has received Christ is called to work for the salvation of his fellow men. "The Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come." Revelation 22:17. The charge to give this invitation includes the entire church. Everyone who has heard the invitation is to echo the message from hill and valley, saying, "Come." {AA 110.1}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Green Cochoa] #153578
06/24/13 11:39 AM
06/24/13 11:39 AM
G
Gregory  Offline OP
SDA
Chaplain

Active Member 2022
Most Dedicated Member
USA
Quote:
1) Would it imply to the coffee drinker, right up front as it were, that they were in an unacceptable position? I mean, let's be real, what would YOU think if you saw a bulletin announcement that said coffee drinkers, homosexuals, fat people, ugly people, people who have problems with organized religion, etc. were all invited to the church? Would you not see that the church was tacitly recognizing that these groups were ordinarily unacceptable? Would you feel truly welcome if you were in one of those categories of people?

1) Tacitly unacceptable: The reality is, that these people often feel that they are not accepted in a SDA Church. In that past, that even applied to coffee drinkers. In the present it applies to homosexuals,those who use tobacco the obese and others. Those who mainly work within the SDA sphere may not realize this. But, those who us who work primarily in the public sphere where we are brought into contact with people outside the SDA enviornment know that it is true. The groups of people mentioned often feel, rightly or wrongly, that they are not welcome in a SDA Church.

2) The reality also is that the above people who feel unwelcome to attnd a SDA congregational service are often mystified by announcements such as I published and consider attending to see if it is really true.

NOTE: I have lived in New York City twice. During those two times I would often attend a Sabbath service in which I did not appear to be SDA Clergy. I preach sermons today, to SDA congregations, on my experience doing this. In those sermons I raise the issue as to how to react to and reach out to people who walk through our doors on Sabbath morning. Our Sabbath service CAN BE one of our greatest tools in public evangelism. It often is not.

Gregory
May God's will be done.
Re: Church Bulletin Welcome [Re: Gregory] #153702
06/28/13 10:00 AM
06/28/13 10:00 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Quote:
An Affirmation of Marriage -
NAD responds to Supreme Court rulings

Numerous activities among state legislators and courts have recently been occurring in the United States concerning same-sex unions. On June 26, the United States Supreme Court ruled on two landmark decisions regarding same-sex unions.

As Seventh-day Adventists, we believe in strengthening the family and following the biblical principles and patterns that God set forth in His Word for marriage between one man and one woman, the oldest human institution dating back to the sixth day of creation. We cannot deny the biblical pattern anymore than we can deny creation and not undermine the value and validity of the Bible as God's handbook for our lives.

Based on recent developments and decisions, the Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America is concerned with the growing attacks on the biblical institution of marriage and feels that it is appropriate and necessary to reaffirm the stated positions of the Church as they relate to Christian marriage. Seventh-day Adventists believe that the biblical teaching is still valid today, because it is anchored in the very nature of humanity and God’s plan at creation for marriage.

We reaffirm, without hesitation, our long-standing position. As expressed in the Church's Fundamental Beliefs, "marriage was divinely established in Eden and affirmed by Jesus to be a lifelong union between a man and a woman in loving companionship."

We hold that all people, no matter of their sexual orientation, are children of God. We do not condone singling out any group for scorn and derision, let alone abuse. However, it is very clear that God's Word does not countenance a homosexual lifestyle; neither has the Christian Church throughout her 2000-year history. Seventh-day Adventists believe that the biblical teaching is still valid today, because it is anchored in the very nature of humanity and God's plan at creation for marriage.

-- Pastor Dan Jackson, president of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America

Official voted statement of the Seventh-day Adventist Church:
An Affirmation of Marriage

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!