HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,633
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,491 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 97 of 100 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 100
Re: does God punish? [Re: APL] #154224
07/18/13 04:27 AM
07/18/13 04:27 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

You willfully turn your eyes from the truth. How else can you interpret "destructive power exercised by holy angels" to mean "they no longer restrain evil forces?"

If they are not "restraining," how can that be "the same destructive power" which they are exercising? I don't see any possibility of "sameness" involved here.

I'm an English teacher. Grammar is one of my strengths. Translation is one of my strengths. I am familiar with word usages. Your interpretation of Mrs. White's wording here hangs by such a small thread of possibility as to render it highly improbable, if even quite possible. In any case, I would like you to explain how "lack of restraint" and "destruction" are "the same."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Green Cochoa] #154227
07/18/13 08:22 AM
07/18/13 08:22 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
APL,

You willfully turn your eyes from the truth. How else can you interpret "destructive power exercised by holy angels" to mean "they no longer restrain evil forces?"
Has it occured to you that it is not I that has turned my eye from the truth? Read Revelation 7. The angels has power to harm the earth, HOW? By no longer restraining.

Originally Posted By: green
If they are not "restraining," how can that be "the same destructive power" which they are exercising? I don't see any possibility of "sameness" involved here.

I'm an English teacher. Grammar is one of my strengths. Translation is one of my strengths. I am familiar with word usages. Your interpretation of Mrs. White's wording here hangs by such a small thread of possibility as to render it highly improbable, if even quite possible. In any case, I would like you to explain how "lack of restraint" and "destruction" are "the same."
An English teacher, why did not not say so before? You seemed to indicate you taugh science. Now I know why you do not know current science. Did you read GC 614.1? Read this section as a whole, the answer comes out. And for the Bible which was not written in English, many times I says, God did thus and so, but we find that it was not God. God slew Saul. Bad grammer?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: does God punish? [Re: APL] #154228
07/18/13 08:23 AM
07/18/13 08:23 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Deuteronomy 31:17-18
17 Then my anger shall be kindled against them in that day, and I will forsake them, and I will hide my face from them, and they shall be devoured, and many evils and troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these evils come on us, because our God is not among us?
18 And I will surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have worked, in that they are turned to other gods.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: does God punish? [Re: APL] #154229
07/18/13 11:38 AM
07/18/13 11:38 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
[color=#313131]An English teacher, why did not not say so before? You seemed to indicate you taugh science. Now I know why you do not know current science. Did you read GC 614.1? Read this section as a whole, the answer comes out. And for the Bible which was not written in English, many times I says, God did thus and so, but we find that it was not God. God slew Saul. Bad grammer?

No, you have not used "bad grammer (sic)," just poor spelling there. I have a degree in biology, not English. I have taught science and biology. I teach English because it's what people here want. I often give "biology" lessons in English, because it's what I enjoy. I do have a degree in a foreign language as well, so language is part of my education. Hopefully that clears up a few things about me. Now, for something a bit less narcissistic. smile

You mentioned Revelation 7. You have favorite passages because they are the ones that support your view. I suppose Revelation 14, which crosses your view, would not get much notice from you. In this do I suppose correctly?

You see, my view encompasses multiple ways in which God manages things. You have chosen to limit your view to one way only in which God can take care of the sin problem. As Rosangela so aptly pointed out to you, sin will not destroy itself. God will do this. When the sin resides in the sinner, God will be forced to destroy sin and sinner together. We are told this.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
At infinite cost the Son of God came into the world to counterwork the work of the enemy. He came to destroy sin and bring in righteousness by enabling the human agent to co-operate with the divine. ... {ST, December 13, 1899 par. 7}

There are Bible texts which tell us God will destroy sinners too...which you evidently are unable to read without special glasses on that translate them for you.

God's Hatred for Sin. This penalty Christ bore for the sins of the transgressor. He has borne the punishment for every man, and for this reason He can ransom every soul, however fallen his condition, if he will accept the law of God as his standard of righteousness. The cry of despair from the soul calls forth the tenderest love of God, and this is salvation to every one that believes. He who sees the guilt of his transgression, and understands the infinite sacrifice made in his behalf, will not continue in sin. But if men continue to resist light and evidence, they will cut themselves off from God's mercy, and then will come the ministry of wrath. God can not save the sinner in his sin. The love of God is immeasurable to those who repent, but His justice is firm and uncompromising to those who abuse his long-suffering love. {ST, November 15, 1899 par. 6}
God destroyed the inhabitants of the old world by a flood, because they refused to obey His commandments. The record states: "God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him at His heart. And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them." Had man not eaten of the tree of knowledge and every kind of wickedness, God would not have destroyed him. And God "looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth. And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before Me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth." {ST, November 15, 1899 par. 7}

Somehow, in your mind, every time you see "God destroyed" or "God will destroy" you translate it to mean "God allowed Satan to destroy" or "God will let Satan destroy." You believe that God is too good, too soft, too merciful, too loving, too tender to ever hurt anyone or anything. You believe that all of creation has been affected by sin, and that thorns and thistles were not even part of God's plan, but that of the enemy, despite God's words to the contrary.

In other words, you also believe that when God cursed the fig tree, God removed His protection from it and let Satan "have at it!"

I shake my head in wonder. How can someone truly misread all of these things? When Jesus Himself caused all of those events, it disempowers Him, weakens Him, and makes Him appear silly.

When Jesus caused the nets to be filled with fish, I suppose He withdrew His protection from those poor fish--leading them to be caught in the net? It is clear that He removed His protection from the pigs, and let the devils enter them...so I suppose any time an animal dies it was because He removed His protection? Did God remove His protection from the innocent lambs that were about to be slain? What "sin" had the lamb committed to deserve it? Not one. It was declared to be "innocent" and it represented the innocent Lamb of God which also had no sin.

Your theology doesn't understand that one either. You think Jesus was killed for sin that He had within Him. Had this been the case, He could never have been raised again, but would have been as guilty as all of us, for if He were not perfect, He could not have paid our price. We would all be hopelessly lost. Thank God this isn't so!

Your theology simply has too many variances from truth, and it is quite an intricate web of errors all put together to the point where I firmly believe you are sincerely believing it all.

APL, know this: sincerity won't save anyone.

Faith in a lie will not have a sanctifying influence upon the life or character. No error is truth, or can be made truth by repetition, or by faith in it. Sincerity will never save a soul from the consequences of believing an error. Without sincerity there is no true religion, but sincerity in a false religion will never save a man. I may be perfectly sincere in following a wrong road, but that will not make it the right road, or bring me to the place I wished to reach. The Lord does not want us to have a blind credulity, and call that the faith that sanctifies. The truth is the principle that sanctifies, and therefore it becomes us to know what is truth. We must compare spiritual things with spiritual. We must prove all things, but hold fast only that which is good, that which bears the divine credentials, which lays before us the true motives and principles which should prompt us to action.--Letter 12, 1890. {2SM 56.1}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: does God punish? [Re: Green Cochoa] #154230
07/18/13 11:50 AM
07/18/13 11:50 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
This should really be the final word in this thread:

God's love is represented in our day as being of such a character as would forbid His destroying the sinner. Men reason from their own low standard of right and justice. "Thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself" (Psalm 50:21). They measure God by themselves. They reason as to how they would act under the circumstances and decide God would do as they imagine they would do. . . . {LDE 240.5}

In no kingdom or government is it left to the lawbreakers to say what punishment is to be executed against those who have broken the law. All we have, all the bounties of His grace which we possess, we owe to God. The aggravating character of sin against such a God cannot be estimated any more than the heavens can be measured with a span. God is a moral governor as well as a Father. He is the Lawgiver. He makes and executes His laws. Law that has no penalty is of no force. {LDE 241.1}

The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

Who will say God will not do what He says He will do?--12MR 207-209; 10MR 265 (1876). {LDE 241.3}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Green Cochoa] #154236
07/18/13 04:50 PM
07/18/13 04:50 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
There is no question there is penalty for transgression of the law. And you should admit that I have NEVER claimed this, right? The question is, how does the penalty come about.
Originally Posted By: EGW
Christ came to the world to sow it with truth. He held the keys to all the treasures of wisdom, and was able to open doors to science, and to reveal undiscovered stores of knowledge, were it essential to salvation. He presented to men that which was exactly contrary to the representations of the enemy in regard to the character of God, and sought to impress upon men the paternal love of the Father, who "so loved the world, that He gave His only-begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." {FE 177.1}

Within the Word of God, the same terminology is used consistently when describing God’s actions in the destruction of people and cities. God does not provide a careful explanation of what He means by these words in every case, but there are places where He does, and this is sufficient to inform us how every such expression is to be interpreted. Thus the truth is established in the “mouth of two or three witnesses” (Matthew 18:16).

1) The death of Saul
2) The destruction of Jerusalem
3) Fiery Serpents

There are three withnesses.

When human beings destroy, they move toward the victim with deliberate intention to kill.

When God destroys, He moves away from the subject with no intention of killing.

When human beings destroy, they carry the weapons of death in their hands.

When God destroys, He carries no weapons but lays down control of the destructive powers.

When human beings destroy, they guide the sword to its target.

When God destroys, there is no personal administration of punishment. Whatever comes upon sinners is the outworking of the forces of death that they themselves have set in motion.

Two questions : what is the essential difference between the direct act of destroying or that of departing to leave the person to die? In both cases it is God’s action that brings about the destruction, and therefore, in each case, He is a destroyer.

This would be true if God’s withdrawal was His own act, but it is not. The fact is that He is driven away.

The truth of this is stated in a paragraph from Prophets and Kings.

Christ will never abandon those for whom He has died. We may leave Him and be overwhelmed with temptation, but Christ can never turn from one for whom He has paid the ransom of His own life {PK 175.3}.

In view of the fact that Christ died for everyone, this statement is saying that it is impossible for Christ to turn away from anyone. People turn away from God. God cannot turn away from humanity. That is impossible.

The second question is this: If God does not in fact destroy, then why does He use this word to describe His actions? Does this not tend to make the Scriptures confusing?

Again, this is an excellent question. But this is the right word to use in describing God’s actions, for there is a deep and important sense in which it is true that He does destroy.

God comes to humanity in one role only, which is as a Savior. But the effect of that effort is not always a saving one. With the majority, the effect is to harden them in rebellion and to cause them to withdraw themselves from the voice of loving entreaty. Thus God destroys by trying to save. The more He exerts His saving power, the more that people reject His offer, thus leading to destruction. It is in this sense that He destroys.

This principle of truth is spelled out with great clarity in the following statement:

It is not God that blinds the eyes of men or hardens their hearts. He sends them light to correct their errors, and to lead them in safe paths; it is by the rejection of this light that the eyes are blinded and the heart hardened. Often the process is gradual, and almost imperceptible. Light comes to the soul through God’s word, through His servants, or by the direct agency of His Spirit; but when one ray of light is disregarded, there is a partial benumbing of the spiritual perceptions, and the second revealing of light is less clearly discerned. So the darkness increases, until it is night in the soul. Thus it had been with these Jewish leaders. They were convinced that a divine power attended Christ, but in order to resist the truth, they attributed the work of the Holy Spirit to Satan. In doing this they deliberately chose deception; they yielded themselves to Satan, and henceforth they were controlled by his power {DA 322.2}.

It is not God that puts the blinder before the eyes of men or makes their hearts hard; it is the light which God sends to his people, to correct their errors, to lead them in safe paths, but which they refuse to accept,―it is this that blinds their minds and hardens their hearts {RH, October 21, 1890 par. 3} .

Re: does God punish? [Re: APL] #154237
07/18/13 04:55 PM
07/18/13 04:55 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

Mouth of two or three witnesses:

Sodom
Nadab & Abihu
Uzzah

You are doing exactly what Mrs. White said would happen: "God's love is represented in our day as being of such a character as would forbid His destroying the sinner." You are representing God this way. But Mrs. White does not commend this. Far from it. You may wish to read the quote I posted again.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Green Cochoa] #154241
07/18/13 06:08 PM
07/18/13 06:08 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Green Cochoa, I noticed someone over at Club Adventist tells you what is lacking in your understanding, and that is some math. This is what I had to discover many years ago, both in the Bible and in the writings of Ellen White. You will recall that God calls on you to come and reason together, and he speaks also of your reasonable service. Then He clinches in 1 Corinthians 13

King James Version (KJV)

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

A + B + CHARITY = TRUTH

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: does God punish? [Re: Johann] #154242
07/18/13 06:19 PM
07/18/13 06:19 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Johann,

It is true that God's love is great. Yet Mrs. White tells us it is an error to speak of it as though it would prevent God from punishing the sinner.

The plea may be made that a loving Father would not see His children suffering the punishment of God by fire while He had the power to relieve them. But God would, for the good of His subjects and for their safety, punish the transgressor. God does not work on the plan of man. He can do infinite justice that man has no right to do before his fellow man. Noah would have displeased God to have drowned one of the scoffers and mockers that harassed him, but God drowned the vast world. Lot would have had no right to inflict punishment on his sons-in-law, but God would do it in strict justice. {LDE 241.2}

Falsehood spoken with love is certainly not the truth. Truth is truth regardless who speaks it and with what motive it is spoken. The serpent spoke truth to Eve in saying that the fruit would give her knowledge. It did.

Love is good. But what is love without truth? God's word is truth. Sometimes a sound rebuke is more loving than a soothing sympathy.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: does God punish? [Re: Green Cochoa] #154243
07/18/13 07:45 PM
07/18/13 07:45 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
APL,

Mouth of two or three witnesses:

Sodom
Nadab & Abihu
Uzzah

You are doing exactly what Mrs. White said would happen: "God's love is represented in our day as being of such a character as would forbid His destroying the sinner." You are representing God this way. But Mrs. White does not commend this. Far from it. You may wish to read the quote I posted again.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
I can interpret Sodom, Nadab and Abihu, Uzzah, the flood, the 185,000 Assyrians, etc from by point of view. You can't use Sodom, Nadab and Abihu, and Uzzah to understand the killing of Saul, the destruction of Jerusalem and the fiery serpents. God does not change. The method He uses are the same, and they look just like Jesus.

Now - show me where I said sinners will not be destroyed. They will, but it will be by the LAMB's methods, not Satan's methods.

Page 97 of 100 1 2 95 96 97 98 99 100

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!