HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,654 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 103 of 104 1 2 101 102 103 104
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Green Cochoa] #158734
11/26/13 02:09 PM
11/26/13 02:09 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Yes, APL, I'm asking a serious question. You might call it a rhetorical question, but it is certainly a serious one.

I am persuaded that this discussion has done more harm than good. Would you agree? If we are both wanting to see souls saved in the kingdom, wouldn't it be advisable to at least cooperate to that end, even if that means desisting from this debate?

It is clear that no one in this discussion is changing his or her mind as a result of it. What is the value of continuing it? I see harm in its continuance.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Honesty does not require discontinuance

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Johann] #158735
11/26/13 02:25 PM
11/26/13 02:25 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
APL has through this whole discussion emphasized a heavenly dimension of God and His Son Jesus Christ incomprehensible by the unconverted eye.

No wonder the discussion and confusion continues.

Last edited by Johann; 11/26/13 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #158738
11/26/13 04:00 PM
11/26/13 04:00 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: APL
M: Jesus commanded Moses to kill criminals and combatants. We cannot, without ignoring the plainest utterances of God's Word, force every incident in the Bible to fit the withdraw and permit principle of punishment.

A: I also have repeatedly said, that the people did execute their enemies, and with God's instructions.

Please explain how the withdraw and permit principle of punishment fits Jesus commanding Moses to kill criminals and combatants.

PS - You wrote, "Never said Moses had unbelief." Why, then, did Jesus command Moses to kill? 1) "Yet divine strength is to be combined with human effort. Moses did not believe that God would overcome their foes while Israel remained inactive." 2) The case was brought by Moses before the Lord, and the direction was given, "The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp."

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #158739
11/26/13 04:11 PM
11/26/13 04:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: As you can read, there are things that will happen during the final judgment that clearly did not happen when Jesus drank the cup of trembling on the cross. In fact, there are startling dissimilarities. When Jesus paid our sin debt of death the earth was not enveloped in flames and molten lava. Nor did He writhe in flames tailored to punish. Even though He bore the sins of the world, Jesus died in six hours. Not so with sinners. "Some are destroyed as in a moment, while others suffer many days." The most notable difference, however, is the fact Jesus was alive when He triumphantly cried out, "It is finished." He conquered the cup, the second death and lived to rise on the third day.

A: Hey - I can continue to play the game. Read GC page 36. Tag - your it.

"The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan." (GC 36)

Please explain how GC 36 addresses the distinct differences between Jesus' experience (beginning in Gethsemane and ending on Golgotha) and the experience of the resurrected unsaved in the Lake of Fire (see GC 672, 673). I ask because you cited Jesus' experience and suggested it reflects how Jesus will punish the resurrected unsaved in the Lake of Fire.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #158746
11/26/13 04:53 PM
11/26/13 04:53 PM
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
James - - Did Christ die the second death? Yes. Was Christ executed by God? No. There is your answer.

When God asked Abraham to offer up Isaac, who would have been the one to cut Isaac's throat? Abraham was the one who would have killed Isaac. By the Father "offering" His only begotten Son, He totally takes resposibillity for the death of His Son.

Also, You make it sound as if second death is just being cut off from God. Is Satan cut off from God now? Is he currently suffering second death? Satan hates the Father, and since he was cast out of heaven he has been completely cut off from the Father without a shred of hope for reconcilliation, is he suffering second death because of this? No way! The wicked do not care that they are cut off from God until the truth is revealed.

It does not hurt the wicked to be cut off until they realize they are going to die eternally. That is when they start to sweat blood.

You have asked "what is second death"? I will ask this. Are the wicked suffering second death at the second resurrection? They are emboldened to form ranks to try to overthrow the city gates and kill God so they can eat the tree of life. Are they suffering the second death while cut off from the Father durring that attempt? The Holy Spirit is not with them, and the Father and Jesus are definetely not behind their attempt, so where is their suffering from being "cut off"?

It's not until God reveals the truth to every heart that they confess and turn on Satan. They don't care that God is not in their heart, they could care less. They only begin to suffer the second death when they realize they cannot reach the tree of life eternally. That is how the wicked will suffer second death.

Jesus suffered second death while carrying the sins of the world, and it effected Him because He is devoted to His Father, it hurt Him to be cut off. It does not effect the wicked that they are cut off until they realize that it means they will be destroyed, then it matters to their selfishness.

Jesus was willing to be cut off from His Father for us, the wicked are shown they do not care about God and they are only concerned about themselves. There is a division here.

I believe the seocnd death experience that Jesus had was witnessing the actual future event. Jesus walked in our shoes at the moment we would have seen the wrath of God outside the gates of the New Jerusalem. Jesus literally experienced what the wicked will experience when they realize they are lost. He experienced the curse for us. That is how He suffered the second death for us. When He saw the wicked outside the New Jerusalem covered in blood it was the most painful thing He could ever witness, and to do so as if He was receiving the pain of the sins we committed for all of us at the same time.

This is a very good thing to study.

Quote:
The garden of Eden with its foul blot of disobedience, is to be carefully studied and compared with the garden of Gethsemane where the world’s Redeemer suffered superhuman agony when the sins of the whole world were rolled upon Him. Listen to the prayer of the only begotten Son of God, “Oh, my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.” And the second time He prayed saying, “Oh my Father if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.” And the third time He prayed saying the same words. It was here the mysterious cup trembled in the hands of the Son of God. Shall He wipe the bloody sweat from His agonized countenance and let man go? The wail, wretchedness, and ruin of a lost world rolls up its horrible picture before Him. “And being in an agony He prayed more earnestly; and His sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.” “And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.” The conflict is ended, Jesus consents to honor His Father by doing His will and bearing His curse, the consequence of man’s transgression. He was obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. {6MR 336.3}

This is the death that Jesus suffered before He died physically.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: jamesonofthunder] #158747
11/26/13 05:07 PM
11/26/13 05:07 PM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
The penalty that Jesus suffered for us was two fold.

"Angels beheld the Saviour’s agony. They saw their Lord enclosed by legions of satanic forces, His nature weighed down with a shuddering, mysterious dread. There was silence in heaven. No harp was touched. Could mortals have viewed the amazement of the angelic host as in silent grief they watched the Father separating His beams of light, love, and glory from His beloved Son, they would better understand how offensive in His sight is sin. {CSA 33.7}
The worlds unfallen and the heavenly angels had watched with intense interest as the conflict drew to its close.... {CSA 33.8}
Christ’s agony did not cease, but His depression and discouragement left Him. The storm had in nowise abated, but He who was its object was strengthened to meet its fury. He came forth calm and serene. A heavenly peace rested upon His bloodstained face. He had borne that which no human being could ever bear; for He had tasted the sufferings of death for every man.... {CSA 33.9}

So in this text it says Jesus had suffered death for every man in Gethsemane before He physically died on the cross.

He suffered the literal penalty that each man would have had to receive. He suffered the curse. THEN He died on the cross.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: jamesonofthunder] #158748
11/26/13 05:14 PM
11/26/13 05:14 PM
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA
APL, how did Uzzah die? Did God just cut off His presence from him?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: jamesonofthunder] #158749
11/26/13 05:40 PM
11/26/13 05:40 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
James - Gethsemane and the cross are linked. Christ was suffering the separation in Gethsemane, but who was watching? No human one on earth! Christ did not die in Gethsemane. He remained very much alive. The final separation occurred on the cross.

NOTE in {DA 694} (don't know why you don't quote the original source but prefer an abreviated work) it says, "Christ's agony did not cease, but His depression left Him". And then, The conflict is ended, Jesus consents to honor His Father by doing His will and bearing His curse, the consequence of man’s transgression. He was obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. {6MR 336.3}

Jsot asks, Is Satan cut off from God now? No. If Satan were completely cut off, He would die. This in integral the the issues in the great controversy. Read Patriarchs and Prophets, chapter 1 - why was sin permitted. Only one person in the entire universe has experienced that. Christ. God's strange act is when He allows sinners to have their choice.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: jamesonofthunder] #158750
11/26/13 06:07 PM
11/26/13 06:07 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: jamesonofthunder
APL, how did Uzzah die? Did God just cut off His presence from him?
Uzzah died of presumption. God did not prevent the death that Uzzah's transgression brought.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #158761
11/27/13 01:30 AM
11/27/13 01:30 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
APL,

1. How does Jesus prevent sin from killing us every time we sin?
2. Is He preventing the first death or the second death?
3. Is Jesus preventing sin from killing evil angels?
4. How does sin kill sinners?
5. If sin kills sinners, why will Jesus employ fire to punish sinners in duration and intensity according to their sinfulness?
6. If sin kills sinners, why would eating from the tree of life enable them to live forever?

Page 103 of 104 1 2 101 102 103 104

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!