HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 43 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 42 43
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155161
08/18/13 10:33 AM
08/18/13 10:33 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Johann
Originally Posted By: Harold Fair
I don't have any problem with who translated the new Bibles. I only ask what have they translated them from?

Harold, the "Received Text" was the work of the Catholic Church. Does that guarantee it is "superior"?

Judge for yourself.

Lies repeated by scholars are nonethemore true. There are many fallacies out there to catch us. Study the chapter in Great Controversy on the Waldenses/Vaudois, and the source of their truth and convictions.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Green Cochoa] #155165
08/18/13 11:54 AM
08/18/13 11:54 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Originally Posted By: Harold Fair
I don't have any problem with who translated the new Bibles. I only ask what have they translated them from?

Harold, the "Received Text" was the work of the Catholic Church. Does that guarantee it is "superior"?

Judge for yourself.

Lies repeated by scholars are nonethemore true. There are many fallacies out there to catch us. Study the chapter in Great Controversy on the Waldenses/Vaudois, and the source of their truth and convictions.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Why don't you do that yourself? Who has made a statement that is contrary to what it says about the Waldenses in the Great Controversy?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: dedication] #155166
08/18/13 12:14 PM
08/18/13 12:14 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Originally Posted By: dedication
But what part of the "Catholic church" and what era?

Each had their "bishop". The Roman bishop was no greater than any other bishop.

As far as I recall you see already in the second century strong indications the bishop of Rome thought of himself as superior. Have you read 1 Clement and commentaries on that letter?

How did the meaning of the title "bishop" develop from the time of the apostles through the second and third centuries?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155167
08/18/13 01:26 PM
08/18/13 01:26 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
The author of the Textus Receptus was the Dutch Catholic scholar and humanist Desiderius Erasmus. He remained a Roman Catholic and refused to follow the reformers. Not all of his Textus Receptus is based on Greek manuscripts, but were his own translations of the Latin Bible into Greek.

It may be your idea that these translations were superior to any other Greek manuscripts, but that does not change the basic question that the Textus Receptus is the product of a Roman Catholic scholar who refused to follow the reformers fully by distancing himself from his Roman Catholic tradition.

Even then the great question is how certain sections of the King James Version were translated to conform with the set doctrines of the Anglo-Catholic Church of England, even breaking the original rules of translation.

Finally, why did Ellen White permit herself to quote from a Bible where Westcott and Hort were among the most prominent editors? No warnings given.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155172
08/18/13 09:04 PM
08/18/13 09:04 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
We have heard quite a bit on this forum of the important work on Bible manuscripts done by the Roman Catholic saint and Church Doctor number 2 Jerome already in the 4th and 5th century. (We are not speaking of the Jerome who was a friend of Martin Luther who lived a thousand years later.)

1. Erasmus may have used some of the manuscripts prepared by St. Jerome, but did he follow him fully? It has been discovered that he did not.

2. How can you prove the superiority of a final text because part of it is based on what you consider the most uncorrupted text, when even that has been changed in the final edition?

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155175
08/18/13 09:24 PM
08/18/13 09:24 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Finally, why did Ellen White permit herself to quote from a Bible where Westcott and Hort were among the most prominent editors?

This is true, Pastor Johann.
Quote:
On Mrs. White's attitude toward the English revision of the 1880's, her son, W. C. White, reports:

"Before the revised version was published, there leaked out from the committee, statements regarding changes which they intended to make. Some of these I brought to Mother's attention, and she gave me very surprising information regarding these Scriptures. This led me to believe that the revision, when it came to hand, would be a matter of great service to us." W. C. White, DF 579 (1931); Ministry, April, 1947, p. 17.

It is significant that almost immediately after the appearance of the English Revised Version, Mrs. White made use of it in her books, as she did also of the American Standard Revision when it became available in 1901. It is also significant that four major statements from Mrs. White's pen concerning the Bible and the Bible writers were penned during this decade of the appearance of the revised versions of the New and Old Testaments.

http://www.whiteestate.org/issues/versions.html

From Wiki:
Quote:
The Revised Version (or English Revised Version) of the Bible is a late 19th-century British revision of the King James Version of 1611. It was the first and remains the only officially authorized and recognized revision of the King James Bible. The work was entrusted to over 50 scholars from various denominations in Britain. ... The best known of the translation committee members were Brooke Foss Westcott and Fenton John Anthony Hort.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155176
08/18/13 09:31 PM
08/18/13 09:31 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
You have referred to the Great Controversy, Green. Yes, Ellen White was glad that Erasmus had produced a Greek manuscript of the New Testament, but how does she describe the person who produced it?

Quote:
The timid and time-serving Erasmus, who with all the splendor of his scholarship failed of that moral greatness which holds life and honor subservient to truth, {GC 216.2}

Quote:
But as dangers thickened, Berquin’s zeal only waxed the stronger. So far from adopting the politic and self-serving counsel of Erasmus, he determined upon still bolder measures. He would not only stand in defense of the truth, but he would attack error. {GC 216.3}

Did she ever say his Greek manuscript, the Textus Receptus, was superior to any other?

Last edited by Johann; 08/18/13 11:16 PM.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155177
08/18/13 09:37 PM
08/18/13 09:37 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Thank you for your comment, Rosangela.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155179
08/19/13 01:38 AM
08/19/13 01:38 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The question isn't "should we ONLY use the King James Bible"?
Rather the question for me, is which Bible is the most likely to be accurate.

When it comes to deeper Bible Study I definitely prefer the King James Version. Other versions often add clarity and I have quite an assortment of different versions, yet often they also "water down" some truths, so my basic Bible is the King James Version.

For Ellen White, the King James Bible was also her basic Bible. Even after the new versions came out, she continued to use the KJV for most of her references. Yes, occasionally she would use a more modern version that added clarity to the thought, but they were NEVER her basic reference Bible.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155181
08/19/13 02:36 AM
08/19/13 02:36 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Why don't you do that yourself? Who has made a statement that is contrary to what it says about the Waldenses in the Great Controversy?

You have.
The author of the Textus Receptus was the Dutch Catholic scholar and humanist Desiderius Erasmus. He remained a Roman Catholic and refused to follow the reformers. Not all of his Textus Receptus is based on Greek manuscripts, but were his own translations of the Latin Bible into Greek.

It may be your idea that these translations were superior to any other Greek manuscripts, but that does not change the basic question that the Textus Receptus is the product of a Roman Catholic scholar who refused to follow the reformers fully by distancing himself from his Roman Catholic tradition.

Even then the great question is how certain sections of the King James Version were translated to conform with the set doctrines of the Anglo-Catholic Church of England, even breaking the original rules of translation.

Finally, why did Ellen White permit herself to quote from a Bible where Westcott and Hort were among the most prominent editors? No warnings given.

I will answer your questions regarding Erasmus in the next post, where I will show your idea of him to be invalid. Furthermore, it will show that your ideas for "his" translation are invalid. Relative, however, to your final question, let me offer the following.

Mrs. White quoted from a great many men and women past and present to her time. Among them are D'Aubigne, the primary source for much of the book Great Controversy. He was an historian, not an Adventist. Did she ever offer a warning against reading D'Aubigne? Contrariwise, does she declare his writings to be inspired?

The absence of such comments from her pen do not mean that whatever she did not write must certainly be true or false. It simply means she offered no counsel on that point. Just because Mrs. White did not offer warnings against every error that may exist does not mean that other errors against which she did not warn do not exist. Anyone with a reasonable mind would recognize this.

The fact that even after the new Bible versions had begun to emerge during her time and yet she did not switch wholeheartedly to their usage speaks volumes. She certainly could have. She could have used the new versions for 99% of her textual references instead of the other way around. Why did she still rely on the King James so heavily, as Dedication has aptly pointed out?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 19 of 43 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 42 43

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!