HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 43 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 42 43
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155182
08/19/13 03:11 AM
08/19/13 03:11 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Johann
You have referred to the Great Controversy, Green. Yes, Ellen White was glad that Erasmus had produced a Greek manuscript of the New Testament, but how does she describe the person who produced it?

Quote:
The timid and time-serving Erasmus, who with all the splendor of his scholarship failed of that moral greatness which holds life and honor subservient to truth, {GC 216.2}

Quote:
But as dangers thickened, Berquin’s zeal only waxed the stronger. So far from adopting the politic and self-serving counsel of Erasmus, he determined upon still bolder measures. He would not only stand in defense of the truth, but he would attack error. {GC 216.3}

Did she ever say his Greek manuscript, the Textus Receptus, was superior to any other?

This post of yours shows how you have cherry-picked details that appear to support your side, when in reality, your position is wholly unsupported, as other passages bring out. You have, I believe, willfully misrepresented the situation. You, above all others here, having been a pastor of many years and having had much opportunity to study into these matters, are accountable to God for the manner in which you present the truth. If you intentionally mislead others, God will take this into account. If this has not been your intention, you are still accountable for that which you should have known. And you should have known what I will share here. There are only ten (10) statements on the EGW CD-ROM from Mrs. White's writings that speak of Erasmus. You picked out the only two that are "borderline" negative toward him. Even they are not clear enough to support your position well. Yet you ignored the majority of her statements which are written far more favorably toward Erasmus AND his collection of the scriptures.

Your willful ignorance of Mrs. White's true stance relative to Erasmus and your portrayal of it is dishonest to yourself and to God's prophet.

You asked this: "how does she describe the person who produced it?" You then proceeded to give us cherry-picked statements that put him in a less favorable light than how Mrs. White truly answers this question herself. In this, you have erred. This careless regard for the Spirit of Prophecy has been customary with you, and it has compromised your entire view on this subject, not to mention other theologies as well. I urge you to be honest with yourself and with others, knowing that we shall all stand at the bar of God to face judgment one day soon, and every idle word will be brought to account before Him.

Now, for the fuller view of Erasmus given us by Mrs. White:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
In 1516, a year before the appearance of Luther's theses, Erasmus had published his Greek and Latin version of the New Testament. Now for the first time the word of God was printed in the original tongue. In this work many errors of former versions were corrected, and the sense was more clearly rendered. It led many among the educated classes to a better knowledge of the truth, and gave a new impetus to the work of reform. But the common people were still, to a great extent, debarred from God's word. Tyndale was to complete the work of Wycliffe in giving the Bible to his countrymen. {GC 245.1}

The city of Bale was an important place to the Protestant reformers. The great snow-clad hills of Switzerland were among the first to catch the light of morning, and to announce the rise of reformation. And Bale was one of those points on which the rising day concentrated its rays, and whence they radiated over the country around. Early in the sixteenth century a small council of a municipal character sat at Bale. A civil war was feared; the people passed the night before in arms. In vain did the city authorities try to reconcile papists and reformers by half measures. The reformers denounced the mass, the papists demanded its continuance. Twelve hundred people who sympathized with Lutheranism insisted that there should be no more delay. They met one evening by torch-light, and said to the faltering Senate, "What you have not been able to do in three years, we will do in a single hour." Then they began their work of breaking down images, and committing other acts of violence. At this, Erasmus cleverly remarked, "I am much surprised that they perform no miracles to save themselves; formerly the saints worked frequent prodigies for much smaller offenses." Thus, amid a tempest of excitement, the Reformation opened in Switzerland, and Bale became its head-quarters. Being the seat of a university, it was the favorite resort of scholars. It also had many printing offices. Here Zwingli received his early education; here Erasmus published the New Testament which he had translated from the original Greek into Latin; here Frobenius, the celebrated printer, published the writings of Luther, and in a short time spread them in France, Spain, Italy, and England; and here, too, John Foxe spent a portion of his exile in getting some of his books through the press. Poverty and persecution troubled him, and we fancy we see him walking to and fro upon the surrounding heights, sympathizing with earlier exiles, who said, "We sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion," while here he issued the first installment of the "Book of Martyrs." {RH, October 13, 1885 par. 3}

Those statements, taken together, provide us with the following endorsements of Erasmus by Mrs. White:

1) He presented the Word of God in its original tongue.
2) He had corrected errors of former versions in it.
3) The sense (meaning) was more clearly rendered in it.
4) "It led many among the educated classes to a better knowledge of the truth."
5) It "gave a new impetus to the work of reform."
6) Erasmus was on the side of the reformers.

These points you misrepresented to us. You have claimed this work was done by "the Catholic Church." It was not. It was done by a Catholic individual who, like Luther, sympathized with those who opposed its teachings and traditions. These scriptures were not handled by official Catholic channels, committees, or edicts. This was NOT a work of "the Catholic church."

To further highlight the fact that Erasmus was at heart among the reformers, I will quote a snippet to be found online which notes that while Erasmus and Luther did not agree in every particular, they were largely in agreement.

Quote:
"Free will does not exist", Luther's letter to Erasmus translated into German by Justus Jonas (1526). Noting Luther's criticism of the Catholic Church, Erasmus described him as "a mighty trumpet of gospel truth" while agreeing, "It is clear that many of the reforms for which Luther calls are urgently needed.”[37] He had great respect for Luther, and Luther spoke with admiration of Erasmus's superior learning. Luther hoped for his cooperation in a work which seemed only the natural outcome of his own. In their early correspondence, Luther expressed boundless admiration for all Erasmus had done in the cause of a sound and reasonable Christianity and urged him to join the Lutheran party. Erasmus declined to commit himself, arguing that to do so would endanger his position as a leader in the movement for pure scholarship which he regarded as his purpose in life. Only as an independent scholar could he hope to influence the reform of religion. When Erasmus hesitated to support him, the straightforward Luther became angered that Erasmus was avoiding the responsibility due either to cowardice or a lack of purpose. However, any hesitancy on the part of Erasmus stemmed, not from lack of courage or conviction, but rather from a concern over the mounting disorder and violence of the reform movement. To Philip Melanchthon in 1524 he wrote:
I know nothing of your church; at the very least it contains people who will, I fear, overturn the whole system and drive the princes into using force to restrain good men and bad alike. The gospel, the word of God, faith, Christ, and Holy Spirit – these words are always on their lips; look at their lives and they speak quite another language.[38]

You did know all of this, right? Why, then, have you rendered an inaccurate representation of these things?

May God open the eyes of each reader here to discern between truth and falsehood, and between light and darkness.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Green Cochoa] #155183
08/19/13 04:08 AM
08/19/13 04:08 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Green, throughout these discussions you have been presenting a very extreme view of the King James Version as if that is the only Bible that contains the truth, and that all modern versions are a false presentation of the Bible.

In an attempt to get you to see it from a more balanced perspective, like I believe your will find in the writings of Ellen White, I have collected some examples to show that your extreme view is not the only true picture of reality.

Yes, the work of Erasmus was important and useful, but I still believe that the Lord does not want us to understand the work he did, nor the work of the translators if the KJV - are the only people that have ever done a useful work on behalf the Bible, nor that their work is perfect.

In this area I have presented an accurate representation of these things - as a counterattack to your unbalanced presentation.

Although English is quite common in many countries in Europe, people do not understand the KJV English, and they need the Bible in their own language, neither Latin nor English. They need to be touched by the Holy Spirit in their own language.

The way you present these thing is like an attack on the Bible itself.

Your extremism is a cruelty to those people and not at all in the Spirit of the work of Ellen G White.

In this area you are totally blind to truth and falsehood, and you need to be endowed with a heavenly vision.

So I urge you to repent before it is too late, before the Holy Spirit is withdrawn from this earth. Let your heart and mind be subdued by the Love of Jesus Christ and His Word.

Last edited by Johann; 08/19/13 04:25 AM.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155184
08/19/13 04:21 AM
08/19/13 04:21 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Quote:
In their preface to the King James Version, the Translators referred to Bancroft as the "chief overseer and task-master under his Majesty, to whom were not only we, but also our whole Church, much bound." Thus, Archbishop Bancroft was known for his determination to make everyone conform to the views of the State Church, the Church of England. He harassed and persecuted the Puritans and other Non-conformists, including Baptists.

Quote:
In spite of his great influence and authority over the translation, the finished work of the KJV translators did not satisfy Bancroft. This proud Archbishop had to make some changes in the translation before it was even published. Paine noted that Miles Smith, final Editor of the KJV with Thomas Bilson, "protested that after he and Bilson had finished, Bishop Bancroft made fourteen more changes" (MEN BEHIND THE KJV, p. 128).

Henry Jessey, a Baptist pastor in the early 1600's, complained about the KJV for its bent favoring "episcopacy," and said that Bancroft, "who was supervisor of the present translation, altered it in fourteen places to make it speak the language of prelacy" (Williams, Common English Version, p. 53). "Prelacy" refers to a system of church government by Prelates such as Archbishops and Bishops set over more than one local church.

Were these fourteen changes directly inspired or approved by God? Are they the "verbally inspired Word of God, preserved through all ages since the Apostles?" One reason to question these fourteen changes is that the changes were certainly made to support episcoplian church government views of the Church of England. The changes were also in violation of some of the translation rules for the KJV. In addition, expressed opposition by some of the KJV translators to these changes indicate that these changes were viewed wrong by these translators.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155185
08/19/13 04:39 AM
08/19/13 04:39 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Our national Bible Society presented some of the above information about the KJV to its members in connection with the 400th anniversary of the KJV, so this is general knowledge.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155187
08/19/13 05:37 AM
08/19/13 05:37 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: Johann
Our national Bible Society presented some of the above information about the KJV to its members in connection with the 400th anniversary of the KJV, so this is general knowledge.

Do you support the ordination of women?

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155188
08/19/13 05:48 AM
08/19/13 05:48 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Johann,

I'm not a KJVO (King James Version Only) individual. Far from it. I have enjoyed reading the Bible in multiple other languages, for I am linguistically capable of doing such. However, only the Spanish translations, of those other languages, may have come from the Majority Text. I am not against modern translations. I am against the use of the following corrupt codices in the translation process: codex alexandrinus, codex vaticanus, codex sinaiticus, and their derivatives. I also oppose the Septuagint as having been a poor-quality, error-filled translation.

I am well aware that some of the errors have crept into even the KJV translation. But, as you should be aware, far more of them have entered the modern translations which have selected these corrupted codices as their primary source.

What you say about me being an extremist is not true. I have learned the truth, and the truth is liberating and moderating. However, moderation does not mean I must go out and smoke a little, drink a little, party a little, in order to be more like society and have my message accepted by them. It is not being an extremist to avoid these evils. Nor is it being an extremist to shun the errors of the modern Bibles which have elevated the corrupted manuscripts to a level of divine authority.

I firmly believe that if Mrs. White were alive today, she would have some answers for us on this topic. I also firmly believe that God has not given us the answers through such plain prophetic utterance because God expects us to use our God-given intellect to study and to learn these truths for ourselves.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155189
08/19/13 05:52 AM
08/19/13 05:52 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
Anyone with a reasonable mind would recognize this.
Hm - are you saying Johann does not have a reasonable mind? I think so! I don't suppose you'd like to moderate yourself now, would you?

The fact that even after the new Bible versions had begun to emerge during her time and yet she did not switch wholeheartedly to their usage speaks volumes. She certainly could have. She could have used the new versions for 99% of her textual references instead of the other way around. Why did she still rely on the King James so heavily, as Dedication has aptly pointed out?
Why did She rely on the KJV? She grew up with the KJV. Probably memorized large portions. The speak volumes to the fact that that is the version she knew best.

You picked out the only two that are "borderline" negative toward him.
Borderline??? Really?

My main study Bible is the KJV. But I have many other translations that I use, often refering to them to try to understand what is really being said. Yes, EGW used the KJV, She even pointed out errors in the KJV. She also used other versions, and never gave a warning about them. Today, in the Adventist world, the most outspoken evangelist I know that is rabidly pro-KJV, is Walter Veith. But Walter will tell you that his conversion out of Catholicism was by reading the NIV. And the Bible he preaches out of is the NKJV. That speaks volume.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155190
08/19/13 06:02 AM
08/19/13 06:02 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Green, you have used an interesting term, "cherry picking quotations". In these discussions you have made a reference to a publication which presents the same kind of extreme views as you have on the KJV.

Although written by a former SDA Bible teacher our own publishing houses refused to publish his views, as far as I could determine. They were published by a non-SDA under a different identity, and by an independent branch of SDA. It so happens that while serving in the ministry of the SDA church we received a number of warnings against that particular branch or independent ministry, both verbally and in writing. We received samples of their falsehood and deceit, and to use your expression, their cherry picking way of quoting the writings of Ellen G White.

I could not help being reminded of this when you were quoting from that book, and then now when you used this expression. It was the father of the present president of the General Conference who served at that time.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Johann] #155193
08/19/13 08:48 AM
08/19/13 08:48 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I give reasons for why the KJV is superior and I hear ad hominem remarks in return. To me, this indicates the level of interest in facts and accuracy that tends to become the norm with those who have accepted inaccurate Bible versions.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Why the King James Version is Superior... [Re: Green Cochoa] #155197
08/19/13 01:01 PM
08/19/13 01:01 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
You have already presented most of your arguments over at ClubAdventist where someone has refuted them. Just go over there and read for yourself.mI have not seen you presenting any more valid ones here.

Last edited by Johann; 08/19/13 01:03 PM.

Page 20 of 43 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 42 43

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!