HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 46 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 45 46
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #155208
08/19/13 03:00 PM
08/19/13 03:00 PM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
I'm going to guess what asygo is trying to implicate - - It is not the "everything" as that is included in the "all". It is the "Christ's life on this planet" statement. I'll bet that is what he is trying to implicate. But, the context is clear, it is Christ's life as he lived it as a man on this planet that is the answer. John 14:9 is clear, it is his life on this planet.

But perhaps, asygo has some more great insight to share.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #155221
08/20/13 05:23 AM
08/20/13 05:23 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I refuse to call "inspired" that which was done in direct opposition to God's will. Please help me see why you feel this is an inappropriate position--if you believe it is.
Green, the Bible is not in direct opposition to God's will. Kind of reminds me of, God is not the destroyer because he is the destroyer.

I agree. But what is "the Bible?"

I would not include the following errors as "the Bible."

1) Abolishing God's law
2) Saying we must continue to sin
3) Omitting verses of God's Word in order to remove doctrines, such as the doctrine of fasting
4) Calling all meats clean
5) Saying we can "look but don't touch" instead of saying we should not see their nakedness
6) Saying that the sacrifices were for "involuntary" sins instead of "sins of ignorance," as if there were no difference
7) Saying the seventh-day sabbath is just "a sabbath"
8) Removing the clear evening-to-evening definition of the sabbath
9) Undermining the divinity of Christ and His origination
10) etc. ad infinitum.

In short, I don't call error "scripture."

May God have mercy on those who bow to such errors, calling them scripture, when all of the facts were right there in front of them to teach them the truth. Unfortunately, believing a lie won't save anyone.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: asygo] #155222
08/20/13 05:32 AM
08/20/13 05:32 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: asygo
Quote:
Everything, EVERYTHING, we need to know or indeed can know about God, has been revealed by Christ's life on this planet.
Originally Posted By: EGW
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

Does anyone else see the concept that was added to the SOP quote?

I certainly do.

Why is it that those who severely restrict their diets seem, as a consequence, to restrict their thinking as well? The mind is affected by the body. Health of both must be mutually maintained.

Ellen White states TWO sources for the "all that man needs to know or can know of God" statement:

1) the life of His Son
2) the character of His Son

Either I have been taught a lie all of my life, or "His Son" refers to Jesus, and Jesus is alive today and has always existed. Also, His character is revealed in His law, and through all of the prophets speaking to us. Moses was privileged to witness some of it personally, and he recorded his encounter for us.

Now, if I choose to limit my thinking to a narrow window of time, by putting blinders upon my own face, how intelligent is that?

My Jesus is ALIVE! Anything necessary for me to know about God, He can reveal to me!

What Mrs. White is saying is simply this: It has been Jesus all along who has been revealing the Father to us: Jesus in the Old Testament, Jesus in the New Testament, and Jesus in her own writings. Praise God!

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: Green Cochoa] #155231
08/20/13 02:56 PM
08/20/13 02:56 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I agree. But what is "the Bible?"

I would not include the following errors as "the Bible."

4) Calling all meats clean
Why do some who reject the health message, (and make ad hominem attacks and go off subject), fail to understand what others have pointed out to them regarding this verse?

Green, what you are talking here on your little list is English. You are disputing English words and not manuscripts. You waver from one side to the other which indicates to me you don't really understand what you're saying.

Quote:
In short, I don't call error "scripture."

May God have mercy on those who bow to such errors, calling them scripture, when all of the facts were right there in front of them to teach them the truth. Unfortunately, believing a lie won't save anyone.

But didn't you admit the KJV as error in it?

Would you stand up in a church holding the KJV and the RSV and proceed to rip out the pages of the RSV saying it is not really a Bible?

If you should do that, then all will see your character for what it is.

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #155242
08/20/13 11:23 PM
08/20/13 11:23 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Quote:
Everything, EVERYTHING, we need to know or indeed can know about God, has been revealed by Christ's life on this planet.
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

Does anyone else see the concept that was added to the SOP quote?
You're going to have to help me here. In what way does "everything that man needs to know" include more or less or means something different than "all that man needs to know"?

Yes, I see you do need some help.

Inspired: All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son.

Not inspired: Everything, EVERYTHING, we need to know or indeed can know about God, has been revealed by Christ's life on this planet.

Do you see it now? The fallacy is that Christ's life and character was compressed into His life on this planet, and everything we can know about God is contained therein. Let's see if that holds up.

1 John 1:5
This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all.

Christ was made "to be sin for us" during His life on this planet. (see 2 Corinthians 5:21) Many say that Jesus came in sinful flesh. Some even say that sin is in the genes that Jesus had. Wouldn't at least some of that count as some sort of darkness? But we know that in God is no darkness at all. How did John know that?

John 4:24
God is Spirit...

Was Jesus "Spirit" during His time on the planet? The SOP tells us that He was cumbered with humanity, quite unlike God. So how do we know this about God?

Ephesians 4:6
one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Was Jesus "above all, and through all, and in you all" when He was on this planet? I wasn't even around yet, so He wasn't in me. And being in physical form, how could he be in His 12 disciples? But Paul knew this about God, and then told us about it.

Romans 2:16
in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Hebrews 12:23
to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Hebrews 13:4
Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

To help, I underlined the parts that were jumping out at me. Did Jesus do this while here? And if Jesus had already judged everyone, isn't it redundant for God to do it again, given that God's judgment was yet future at the time these verses were written? When did we see Jesus judging fornicators and adulterers? Yet, we know God will do it.

So we have Scriptures that tell us things about God that Jesus did not do during His life on this planet. Did EGW now know of these verses?

All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in His Word and in the life of His Son, the great Teacher. {6BC 1079.9}

Well, it looks like she included His Word in the list of sources of knowledge about God. Did she contradict herself? Some would say so. But it think it is more likely that Christ's character is described all over His Word, and not just in the short 33 years of His life. And since John tells us that the planet would be filled if he wrote down everything Jesus did, it would be utter foolishness to limit our understanding of God to 4 short books of the Bible.

So it seems GC might be on to something there. Perhaps there is much to learn about God in the law and the prophets. Maybe the blessings and curses recorded by Moses are not extraneous. Perhaps the short record of Christ's life on this planet doesn't come close to what we can learn of His life and character.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: asygo] #155248
08/21/13 12:47 AM
08/21/13 12:47 AM
APL  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: egw
All that man needs to know and can know of God has been revealed in His Word and in the life of His Son, the great Teacher. {6BC 1079.9}
AMEN - - and when you find a supposed discrepancy in the word, then you look to the Son life. Hebrews 1:1-3 Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds. 3 He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact imprint of God's very being, and he sustains all things by his powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, John 14:9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?
Perhaps the short record of Christ's life on this planet doesn't come close to what we can learn of His life and character.
What an incredible statement! Did you not read {8T-286} that I posted? And you still want to make this claim? I'll quote it again. Read it again!
Christ's Revelation of God

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18. {8T 286.2}

Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. He was in all things made like unto His brethren. He became flesh, even as we are. He was hungry and thirsty and weary. He was sustained by food and refreshed by sleep. He shared the lot of men, and yet He was the blameless Son of God. He was a stranger and sojourner on the earth--in the world, but not of the world; tempted and tried as men and women today are tempted and tried, yet living a life free from sin. {8T 286.3}

Tender, compassionate, sympathetic, ever considerate of others, He represented the character of God, and was constantly engaged in service for God and man. {8T 286.4}

"The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, . . . full of grace and truth." Verse 14. {8T 286.5}

"Unto the men whom Thou gavest Me out of the world,'' He said, "I manifested Thy name," "that the love wherewith Thou hast loved Me may be in them." John 17:6, A. R. V., 26. {8T 286.6}

"Love your enemies," He bade them; "bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven;" "for He is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil." "He maketh His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." "Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful." Matthew 5:44-45; Luke 6:35-36. {8T 286.7}

So asygo - I reject your view of Christ and His mission. His mission was to reveal the character of God CLEARLY. And this He did.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: asygo] #155262
08/21/13 02:23 PM
08/21/13 02:23 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

Yes, I see you do need some help.
I guess APL was perceptive in what I was missing!

Quote:

Inspired: All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son.

Not inspired: Everything, EVERYTHING, we need to know or indeed can know about God, has been revealed by Christ's life on this planet.

Do you see it now? The fallacy is that Christ's life and character was compressed into His life on this planet, and everything we can know about God is contained therein. Let's see if that holds up.

Well, it looks like she included His Word in the list of sources of knowledge about God. Did she contradict herself?
No, but I think you did. You first imply the life of the Son involved more than his short 33 years on this planet. Now you seem to acknowledge "life of His Son" means the life on this planet.

Assuming your first stance, that life and character means differently than life on this planet, you do seem to take a position that would be odd for Ellen White to have explicitly gone through several paragraphs as APL pointed out to say nothing. I mean, what's the point if she was not attempting to say we need to look to Christ as He had dwelt with man upon this earth?

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: asygo] #155263
08/21/13 02:53 PM
08/21/13 02:53 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Let's see if that holds up. ...

Asygo, this is what it appears to me you have done in your quotes:

To answer the question, do scriptures show that God kills those who disagree with Him: We know God is going to kill people who don't do what He wants them to do. Christ didn't kill anyone on this planet, so therefore, when Ellen White says everything we need to know, has to involve outside His life. If Jesus didn't kill and we know God will kill, therefore we need to look at scriptures. And the scriptures tell us things about God what Jesus didn't do in His life here. Therefore, we conclude scriptures do indeed support the idea that God kills. We have investigated the claim of whether the Bible says God kills by making the assumption that God kills, not finding it in the life of Jesus, and then leaving the only alternative that the Bible does indeed show God kills people.

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #155264
08/21/13 02:56 PM
08/21/13 02:56 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
I found this in the Liberty magazine http://www.libertymagazine.org/article/keeping-perspective

It was talking about Marco Rubio being demonized not for stating he believed in creation, but for failing to say he didn't believe in it. He had said he wasn't a scientist, and theologians argued over the question, and he didn't see what the issue had to do with economic prosperity or gross domestic product.

Why were the liberals so aggressive in attacking him and others?

Paulson brings out in the article the sanctity of free choice. He states:
Quote:
Here is where so many religious conservatives hurt their cause deeply. Like the parent who employs coercive means to constrain a grown child to follow what may well be commonsense counsel, today’s Christian political activists seem not to understand that when theology takes up the sword of civil power, it doesn’t matter how much solid, sensible evidence exists for that theology or the lifestyle it enjoins. Because it is coupled with the threat of force, the well is poisoned, and those who might otherwise give the biblical worldview a fair hearing respond instead with knee-jerk revulsion.

He talks about the revulsion liberals have of Christians using power and civil force for furthering Christian values and therefore:
Quote:
Because the Christian worldview is associated in many thoughtful minds with the use of civil force as a means of furthering Christian values, this worldview is wrongly relegated by those same minds to the fringes of lunacy, fanaticism, and the eccentric anachronism of the Flat Earth Society. Like advice from one’s in-laws, Christian beliefs are eschewed not because of their objective merits or lack thereof, but because of their association with meddlesome intrusiveness.

The point I'm making is, if liberals can recognize the wrong of Christians using force and coercion to make people do what they want, would they see any difference if God did the same thing? And is that why they are so repulsed by anything religious because of how so-called Christians have used their opinion of what God is like to implement their own agendas? That if God uses similar means, they want nothing to do with God.

Re: What is the Wrath of God? [Re: kland] #155291
08/22/13 01:47 AM
08/22/13 01:47 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I see that neither kland nor apl has addressed post #155222. Usually people address quickly the points with which they disagree. So, do you agree with those points I made?

If so, I don't understand how you can give Arnold such a hard time over the points he is making.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 31 of 46 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 45 46

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!