HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,315 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22
Re: Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment [Re: Green Cochoa] #155536
08/28/13 03:56 PM
08/28/13 03:56 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
I know whereof I speak.
Yeah?

How about the title you gave this thread?
Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment

Realizing you aren't one for facts or accuracy, did you really intend to make that statement or was that another err?

That is, you are stating all vegans do have cognitive impairment. Can you support that? Or will you admit you erred when you put that title?

Quote:
Mrs. White did tell us to teach others how to cook without milk and eggs. That is so that they will be able to cook without them when this step is required. However, she never required dispensing with them.
That is over the top.

Here you are saying that Ellen White instructed us to teach others how to cook without milk and eggs because it would be required for some future time. Which hasn't got here in over 100 years!

If you wish to support such an idea, you need to show elsewhere where Ellen White has told people to teach others how to do something, and definitely not that they were to do that something, but just in case they would need it at some future time.

Can you?

Re: Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment [Re: Green Cochoa] #155537
08/28/13 04:00 PM
08/28/13 04:00 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Quote:
And eggs contain properties which are remedial agencies in counteracting poisons. And while warnings have been given against the use of these articles of diet in families where the children were addicted to, yes, steeped, in habits of self abuse; yet we should not consider it a denial of principle to use eggs of hens which are well cared for and suitably fed. {TSDF 49.3}
Since you highlighted that, would you mean that eggs are to be used medicinally? How often are you poisoned?

Re: Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment [Re: Green Cochoa] #155538
08/28/13 04:09 PM
08/28/13 04:09 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Ooo, ooo, ooo. I just saw it!

Originally Posted By: green
doctrine of dispensing with milk and eggs should not be taught.

Originally Posted By: EGW
The diet reform should be progressive. As disease in animals increases, the use of milk and eggs will become more and more unsafe. An effort should be made to supply their place with other things that are healthful and inexpensive. The people everywhere should be taught how to cook without milk and eggs, so far as possible, and yet have their food wholesome and palatable. {MH 320.2}

Originally Posted By: green

Mrs. White did tell us to teach others how to cook without milk and eggs. That is so that they will be able to cook without them when this step is required.
  • The doctrine dispensing with milk and eggs should not be taught because it should be taught to others.

Should someone make a compilation of these "writings"?

Re: Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment [Re: kland] #155543
08/28/13 06:47 PM
08/28/13 06:47 PM
S
shellybee  Offline
New Member (Starting to Post)
Prairie Region, Canada
Anyone seriously questioning the place of eggs in their diet should visit a cage-laying poultry farm and see for themselves if they really want to eat eggs coming from this source in order to get adequate Vitamine B12. If they can't raise their own healthy hens and can't locate a source of free-range eggs near where they live, then the time may have actually come where we need to learn how to prepare food that does not include eggs, as Ellen White said would become a necessity.

Re: Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment [Re: APL] #155549
08/29/13 02:01 AM
08/29/13 02:01 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
Good for you! Now, let's say you move back to the U.S. What would you recommend the city dweller to do?

You do acknowledge that EGW said that there are certain people that should not eat eggs, right? Of course, this whole line of talk have been covered before.

The instruction we are given is to get eggs from healthy fowl. We are not commanded to raise the hens ourselves. If one lives in the city, perhaps a friend with a farm can be found from which to obtain the eggs. There are, nowadays, organically-grown, vegetarian-fed, "free-range" hens whose eggs are on the market at health-food stores and others. I put free-range in quotes because I believe it is not quite the same as the completely "open-range" which many chickens have where I live. Yet they are not merely cooped up in a cage just big enough for shipping a dog overseas to be fed, watered, and lay eggs all day as in the typical poultry houses.

If I lived in the city, and could not obtain farm-fresh eggs, I would spend the extra money for these eggs.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment [Re: Green Cochoa] #155550
08/29/13 02:02 AM
08/29/13 02:02 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
APL,

I am not aware of any statement from Mrs. White's pen forbidding anyone to eat eggs. Please enlighten us with what you have found.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment [Re: kland] #155551
08/29/13 02:07 AM
08/29/13 02:07 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
I know whereof I speak.
Yeah?

How about the title you gave this thread?
Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment

Realizing you aren't one for facts or accuracy, did you really intend to make that statement or was that another err?

That is, you are stating all vegans do have cognitive impairment. Can you support that? Or will you admit you erred when you put that title?

Quote:
Mrs. White did tell us to teach others how to cook without milk and eggs. That is so that they will be able to cook without them when this step is required. However, she never required dispensing with them.
That is over the top.

Here you are saying that Ellen White instructed us to teach others how to cook without milk and eggs because it would be required for some future time. Which hasn't got here in over 100 years!

If you wish to support such an idea, you need to show elsewhere where Ellen White has told people to teach others how to do something, and definitely not that they were to do that something, but just in case they would need it at some future time.

Can you?

kland,

I did almost create a longer thread title, but it was already getting too long, so I shortened it to the key words. This is permissible in a title, and should not be mistaken with a full meaning. For example, had I started a thread with the title "Why Adventists live longer," would you have complained? But do ALL Adventists live longer? Of course not. Many ordinary people see titles like this every day in the news, and no one complains at their brevity or their lack of accuracy on account of it. They look for the details, however, to be included in the article which follows. The title is just a few words to give an idea of what the article is about.

I'm sure you are mature enough to realize these things.

As for the second half of your post, it appears you have since realized where you went astray as you read additional information here which clarified the matter, so I will not address this.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment [Re: kland] #155552
08/29/13 02:17 AM
08/29/13 02:17 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Quote:
And eggs contain properties which are remedial agencies in counteracting poisons. And while warnings have been given against the use of these articles of diet in families where the children were addicted to, yes, steeped, in habits of self abuse; yet we should not consider it a denial of principle to use eggs of hens which are well cared for and suitably fed. {TSDF 49.3}
Since you highlighted that, would you mean that eggs are to be used medicinally? How often are you poisoned?

I am poisoned daily. How often are you poisoned?

I live where people use cars, smoke, use pesticides and herbicides and spray for mosquitoes. I live where streams of water are so polluted that fish often cannot survive in them. I live where litter lines the roads and garbage fouls the air with its smell. I live where the well water has toxins in it.

I have experienced toxicity. I strongly recommend to missionaries in my part of the world that they consume eggs to counteract the toxins that are so prevalent here. It is either that, or they will weaken in health under the conditions.

But is America so much better? I understand you have even greater problems there with things like GMO foods (becoming virtually all produce these days that is genetically modified--and it is toxic stuff).

For folk like us, Mrs. White wrote the following:

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
While working against gluttony and intemperance, we are to remember the means and appliances of gospel truth, which commend themselves to sound judgment. In order to do our work in straight, simple lines, we must recognize the conditions to which the human family are subjected. God has made provisions for those who live in the different countries of the world. Those who desire to be co-workers with God must consider carefully how they teach health reform in God's great vineyard. They must move carefully in specifying just what food should and should not be eaten. ...{TSDF 49.6}

We are to be brought into connection with the masses. Should health reform be taught them in its most extreme form, harm would be done. We ask them to leave off eating meat and drinking tea and coffee. That is well. But some say that milk also should be given up. This is a subject that needs to be carefully handled. There are poor families whose diet consists of bread and milk, and, if they can get it, a little fruit. All flesh food should be discarded, but vegetables should be made palatable with a little milk or cream or something equivalent. The poor say, when health reform is presented to them. "What shall we eat? We cannot afford to buy the nut foods." As I preach the gospel to the poor, I am instructed to tell them to eat that food which is most nourishing. I cannot say to them: You must not eat eggs or milk, or cream; you must use no butter in the preparation of food. The gospel must be preached to the poor, and the time has not yet come to prescribe the strictest diet. {TSDF 49.7}

The time will come when we may have to discard some of the articles of diet we now use, such as milk and cream and eggs; but my message is that you must not bring yourself to a time of trouble beforehand, and thus afflict yourself with death. Wait till the Lord prepares the way before you. {TSDF 49.8}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment [Re: shellybee] #155554
08/29/13 02:32 AM
08/29/13 02:32 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: shellybee
Anyone seriously questioning the place of eggs in their diet should visit a cage-laying poultry farm and see for themselves if they really want to eat eggs coming from this source in order to get adequate Vitamine B12. If they can't raise their own healthy hens and can't locate a source of free-range eggs near where they live, then the time may have actually come where we need to learn how to prepare food that does not include eggs, as Ellen White said would become a necessity.

You are right. Those eggs should not be consumed. Ellen White told us to get the eggs of healthy hens.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Do not go to extremes in regard to the health reform. Some of our people are very careless in regard to health reform. But because some are far behind, you must not, in order to be an example to them, be an extremist. You must not deprive yourself of that class of food which makes good blood. Your devotion to true principles is leading you to submit yourself to a diet which is giving you an experience that will not recommend health reform. This is your danger. When you see that you are becoming weak physically, it is essential for you to make changes, and at once. Put into your diet something you have left out. It is your duty to do this. Get eggs of healthy fowls. Use these eggs cooked or raw. Drop them uncooked into the best unfermented wine you can find. This will supply that which is necessary to your system. Do not for a moment suppose that it will not be right to do this. . . . {TSDF 40.4}

That statement also notes that the giving up of milk and eggs is an extremist position, according to Mrs. White.

Mrs. White says it is "right" to eat eggs, and that we are NOT to think otherwise. Why do we, then, disregard this and think we are closer to heaven if we give them up and the sooner the better?

If we can get eggs from healthy hens, we are without excuse.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: Brain-damaged from Veganism, why vegans have cognitive impairment [Re: Green Cochoa] #155559
08/29/13 04:11 AM
08/29/13 04:11 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Here's an article on this topic by Jack Norris, RD in which he answers some false claims about veganism. Notice the references to "permanent neurological damage" and "permanent brain damage." (All formatting in the quote is original.)

Originally Posted By: Jack Norris, RD

On Saturday, August 21, NaturalNews.com published an article by Cindy Jones-Shoeman, Vegan Vitamin B12 Deficiency is a Myth.

The article starts out by saying that “nothing could be further from the truth” than the idea that vegans can suffer a B12 deficiency from their diet.

The article by Jones-Shoeman appears to be a rehashing of an old article (apparently from 2004 or earlier) by Vivian Vetrano, “Rethinking & Clarifying the Vitamin B12 Issue” which appears on the Rest of Your Life Retreat website: roylretreat.com/articles/b12.html.

Although Vetrano’s article is one of the most fanciful stories I’ve ever read about vitamin B12, it is rather detailed and I will only respond to the excerpts from the Jones-Shoeman article:

“According to Dr. Vivian V. Vetrano, vitamin B12 actually comes from coenzymes, which are already present in bacteria found on the human body (in and around the mouth, for example).”

Vitamin B12 does not come from co-enzymes, it is a co-enzyme. Bacteria do produce vitamin B12, but there is no proof that bacteria living in most people’s mouths produce active vitamin B12 or produce it in amounts large enough that it could prevent B12 deficiency. This is underlined by the fact that many vegans develop full-blown vitamin B12 deficiency, and in some cases permanent neurological damage, as can be seen here: VeganHealth.org/b12/cases. In addition to those cases in the scientific journals, I have known many people who have suffered from B12 deficiency and cured it by supplementing with cyanocobalamin (the most stable form of vitamin B12).

About a dozen studies have correlated low vitamin B12 levels in vegans with elevated homocysteine levels. Elevated homocysteine levels have been linked to early death, primarily from cardiovascular disease, and Alzheimer’s Disease. More details on that are at VeganHealth.org/b12/hcy.

“In fact, vitamin B12 deficiency is often, according to Dr. Vetrano, a symptom of a larger problem; that is, it’s not caused from a poor diet but rather from deficiency diseases…”

While it is true that about 2% of the population has trouble absorbing vitamin B12, the vast majority of problems that have been seen in vegans have been caused by a low B12 intake, not from absorption problems.

“Vitamin B12 deficiency due to a vegan diet is simply a lie that finally needs to be put to rest.”

Unfortunately, this could not be further from the truth. The most common, serious damage that results from vitamin B12 deficiency is when a pregnant vegan who does not supplement has a baby who also does not get any B12 supplementation. Typically, around 6 months of age, the infant’s growth and neurological development ceases and then begins to regress. In many cases, such infants have sustained permanent brain damage.

Vitamin B12 deficiency among vegans is real and is not something to be flippant about. It is so important that a number of vegan health professionals and organizations have endorsed an open letter to the vegan community, What Every Vegan Should Know about Vitamin B12 (VeganHealth.org/articles/everyvegan). This letter has been signed by The Vegan Society (UK), Vegan Outreach, and many members of the International Vegetarian Union science group.

Who is Jack Norris?
Quote:
Jack Norris is a Registered Dietitian and President and co-founder of Vegan Outreach. Vegan Outreach produces Why Vegan and other booklets and their Adopt a College program hands booklets to over 750,000 students every semester. In 2005, Jack was elected to the Animal Rights Hall of Fame.

Along with Ginny Messina, MS RD, Jack has written the book Vegan For Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet.

Jack writes a nutrition blog at JackNorrisRD.com. He is the author of Vitamin B12: Are You Getting It? and maintains VeganHealth.org. Jack earned a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics from Life University (Marietta, GA) in 2000 and finished his dietetic internship at Georgia State University in 2001.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Page 2 of 22 1 2 3 4 21 22

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!