HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 42 of 104 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 103 104
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #156950
10/08/13 04:15 PM
10/08/13 04:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: APL
M: Jesus doesn't mince words. To obey is to live. Disobey and die. No threats. Just truth. Fair.

Exodus
20:2 I [am] the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:
20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;
20:6 And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

A: Where in your quote does it say God will kill the sinner? There is no question, sinners will die. HOW is the question.

Good question. "I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me." What does "visiting" mean? Here are other uses of the word:

Quote:
Exodus
32:33 And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.
32:34 Therefore now go, lead the people unto [the place] of which I have spoken unto thee: behold, mine Angel shall go before thee: nevertheless in the day when I visit I will visit their sin upon them.
32:35 And the LORD plagued the people, because they made the calf, which Aaron made.

Numbers
14:12 I will smite them with the pestilence, and disinherit them, and will make of thee a greater nation and mightier than they.
14:15 Now [if] thou shalt kill [all] this people as one man, then the nations which have heard the fame of thee will speak, saying,
14:16 Because the LORD was not able to bring this people into the land which he sware unto them, therefore he hath slain them in the wilderness.
14:17 And now, I beseech thee, let the power of my LORD be great, according as thou hast spoken, saying,
14:18 The LORD [is] longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing [the guilty], visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation].

Psalm
59:5 Thou therefore, O LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors. Selah.
59:13 Consume [them] in wrath, consume [them], that they [may] not [be]: and let them know that God ruleth in Jacob unto the ends of the earth. Selah.

Psalm
89:30 If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;
89:31 If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;
89:32 Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.
89:33 Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #156959
10/09/13 01:00 AM
10/09/13 01:00 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: MM
Good question. "I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me." What does "visiting" mean? Here are other uses of the word:

Ezekiel 18:20 AKJV The soul that sins, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be on him.

Does God inflict punishment on the children of the wicked? Do children suffer because of the sins of the fathers? If so, is it God that causes the suffering? https://kc.instructure.com/courses/871063

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #156971
10/09/13 04:21 PM
10/09/13 04:21 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus gives life to the laws of nature. They do what He causes them to do. They are not self-acting. Every cell in living organisms do what Jesus causes them to do. This is true of every nanosecond of every day. Diseases do what Jesus causes them to do. Diseases are not self-acting. They do not have life in and of themselves. They are totally dependent upon Jesus to cause them to do what they do.

Jesus doesn't make people sick (with few exceptions, i.e., He caused Moses to temporarily have leprosy). People get sick because they violate natural laws. Nevertheless, Jesus causes the diseases to do what they do. They are not self-acting.

This is also true of the laws that govern nature. Jesus causes it to rain, shine, etc. They are not self-acting. Natural disasters happen when Jesus causes them. They do not have the power to cause themselves.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #156972
10/09/13 04:22 PM
10/09/13 04:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Did we study the meaning of "visiting"?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #156974
10/09/13 04:29 PM
10/09/13 04:29 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Jesus gives life to the laws of nature. They do what He causes them to do. They are not self-acting. Every cell in living organisms do what Jesus causes them to do. This is true of every nanosecond of every day. Diseases do what Jesus causes them to do. Diseases are not self-acting. They do not have life in and of themselves. They are totally dependent upon Jesus to cause them to do what they do.

Jesus doesn't make people sick (with few exceptions, i.e., He caused Moses to temporarily have leprosy). People get sick because they violate natural laws. Nevertheless, Jesus causes the diseases to do what they do. They are not self-acting.

This is also true of the laws that govern nature. Jesus causes it to rain, shine, etc. They are not self-acting. Natural disasters happen when Jesus causes them. They do not have the power to cause themselves.

Jesus does not make people sick, but he causes them to be sick - is that what you are saying?

Can Satan cause disasters? Or is it Jesus that really causes them? What would Job say?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #156975
10/09/13 04:31 PM
10/09/13 04:31 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Visiting:

Exodus 20:3-5 TCW “Do not allow anyone or anything to become a god that you love more than me. 4 “Do not manufacture idols for yourselves designed after things in heaven, on earth or in the sea. 5 Don’t bow down to them or serve them. Such practices will only hurt you and your children, who will reap the consequences of your sins down to the third and fourth generations.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #156978
10/09/13 05:13 PM
10/09/13 05:13 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
"who will reap the consequences of your sins"

Doesn't seem like God is doing anything here.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: kland] #156984
10/10/13 12:16 AM
10/10/13 12:16 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Jesus does not make people sick, but he causes them to be sick - is that what you are saying? Can Satan cause disasters? Or is it Jesus that really causes them? What would Job say?

Jesus gives life to the laws of nature - not evil angels. Disease cannot do anything in and of itself. It does not have the power to act independent of Jesus. Disease can do what it does because Jesus does what He does. Everything in nature would cease to act if Jesus ceased to give it life. In the case of Job, evil angels were permitted to manipulate the forces of nature. Tragedy followed. Nevertheless, evil angels cannot give life to the forces of nature. Only Jesus can give life to nature. Disaster happened because Jesus empowered nature to respond to the actions of evil angels.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #156986
10/10/13 12:57 AM
10/10/13 12:57 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Yes God established the laws of nature.
But it is not His will that we are sick.

3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

When a person studies some about the defense mechanism of the body it is absolutely amazing how God made our bodies to "fix" themselves.
Even a person who has abused their body for years with smoking, drinking and bad nutrition and is suffering the results can turn that around by following the health rules. Just give the body a good fighting chance and it will start to heal and rebuild.
God made our bodies wonderfully for health!

To me this shows God's love and mercy.
A person who has abused their health doesn't deserve good health, yet God put within our system tremendous resources to rebuild.

Of course, the thousands of years in which sin has played havoc with God's laws, has also caused all manner of weaknesses in the bodies defenses.
It just isn't smart to go against the laws of health, sooner or later the body does break down.

I'm not sure what is meant by "self acting".

The natural laws are usually a cause and effect sequence.
Pour a lot of chemicals into the water system and the effect is sick or dead fish and plant life, and water that is unfit for human consumption, and if people drink it they suffer the results. These results can be passed on to their offspring who have a compromised system more susceptible to disease.

There is no mysterious manipulation here -- break the laws and the effects happen often like the ripples of water when one throws a stone expanding wider and wider.

Is God responsible? Should He have created everything so it was fit for human consumption?

Quote:
"Christ was health and strength in Himself, and when sufferers were in His immediate presence, disease was always rebuked. It was for this that He did not go at once to Lazarus. He could not witness his suffering and not bring him relief. He could not witness disease or death without combating the power of Satan.

" Satan tempted them to regard this restriction as unjust and cruel. ...The author of disease and misery will assail men where he can have the greatest success.{CC 103.5}

This world is a vast lazar house, but Christ came to heal the sick, to proclaim deliverance to the captives of Satan. He was in Himself health and strength. He imparted His life to the sick, the afflicted, those possessed of demons. He turned away none who came to receive His healing power. He knew that those who petitioned Him for help had brought disease upon themselves, yet He did not refuse to heal them. And when virtue from Christ entered into these poor souls they were convicted of sin, and many were healed of their spiritual disease as well as of their physical maladies. The gospel still possesses the same power, and why should we not today witness the same results? {CH 30.1}

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #156990
10/10/13 02:32 AM
10/10/13 02:32 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Jesus does not make people sick, but he causes them to be sick - is that what you are saying? Can Satan cause disasters? Or is it Jesus that really causes them? What would Job say?

Jesus gives life to the laws of nature - not evil angels. Disease cannot do anything in and of itself. It does not have the power to act independent of Jesus. Disease can do what it does because Jesus does what He does. Everything in nature would cease to act if Jesus ceased to give it life. In the case of Job, evil angels were permitted to manipulate the forces of nature. Tragedy followed. Nevertheless, evil angels cannot give life to the forces of nature. Only Jesus can give life to nature. Disaster happened because Jesus empowered nature to respond to the actions of evil angels.

Question - is God the cause of evil?

Page 42 of 104 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 103 104

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!