HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 44 of 104 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 103 104
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #157062
10/11/13 02:12 PM
10/11/13 02:12 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Yes, according to this:
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: APL
Jesus does not make people sick, but he causes them to be sick - is that what you are saying? Can Satan cause disasters? Or is it Jesus that really causes them? What would Job say?

Jesus gives life to the laws of nature - not evil angels. Disease cannot do anything in and of itself. It does not have the power to act independent of Jesus. Disease can do what it does because Jesus does what He does. Everything in nature would cease to act if Jesus ceased to give it life. In the case of Job, evil angels were permitted to manipulate the forces of nature. Tragedy followed. Nevertheless, evil angels cannot give life to the forces of nature. Only Jesus can give life to nature. Disaster happened because Jesus empowered nature to respond to the actions of evil angels.
"Jesus gives life to the laws of nature."
Not sure what that means. Life=action, or life means the potential. Does Jesus give life to hurricanes, does He give life to their destructive forces when they destroy people and property, or does He give life to atmospheric wind currents and sometimes they become destructive but not because He causes them?

"Disease cannot do anything in and of itself. It does not have the power to act independent of Jesus. Disease can do what it does because Jesus does what He does."

Polio and other diseases caused their destruction because Jesus does what He does?
Or did Jesus create the bacteria and DNA code for good purposes and then they went bad after sin?
When I get poked by a thorn, is that because Jesus caused me to get poked?

"Everything in nature would cease to act if Jesus ceased to give it life. "

Does that mean if it wasn't for Jesus we would all die?
Or does it mean if it wasn't for Jesus there wouldn't be so much pain and destruction in this world?

"Disaster happened because Jesus empowered nature to respond to the actions of evil angels."

Does this mean Jesus employes evil angels to manipulate the forces of nature (because Jesus couldn't Himself?!), to accomplish His purposes of destruction, destruction of even good people? That the evil angels couldn't have caused the disaster except that Jesus specifically gave nature special "hooks" to allow the evil angels to manipulate it.

Or does this mean.... (I can't think of any alternatives MM could mean here)

So again, yes, it does seem that he means that when people are sick, Jesus directly and intentionally caused them to get sick.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: kland] #157063
10/11/13 02:20 PM
10/11/13 02:20 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
MM, regarding dedication's post: Did God cause the dust bowl?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: kland] #157066
10/11/13 03:48 PM
10/11/13 03:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
MM: Jesus gives life to the laws of nature - not evil angels. Disease cannot do anything in and of itself. It does not have the power to act independent of Jesus. Disease can do what it does because Jesus does what He does. Everything in nature would cease to act if Jesus ceased to give it life. In the case of Job, evil angels were permitted to manipulate the forces of nature. Tragedy followed. Nevertheless, evil angels cannot give life to the forces of nature. Only Jesus can give life to nature. Disaster happened because Jesus empowered nature to respond to the actions of evil angels.

Asygo: The fact that people, even bad people, and diseases and disasters exist means that God has not stopped doing what He does. If God really stopped, as some suggest He does on occasion, everything would cease to exist. All these "bad" things require God's power to be "continually exercised."

APL: Is it God's will we have hurricanes, earthquakes, and floods? Is that what God desires? Is not this planet a demonstration of what will happen when if sin were allowed to reign? These things are NOT God's will. The point I understand MM to be saying however is that nature works the way it does ONLY because of God, and if there are hurricanes, earthquakes and floods, it is because that is God's will. I hope I am misunderstanding him.

APL, who do you believe upholds the laws that give the forces of nature life and enables them to act? I suspect you believe Jesus is the source and sustainer of everything. I am certain you do not believe evil angels are the source and sustainer of the laws of nature that run and regulate matter, molecules, plants, animals, people, etc. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

I agree with you Jesus permits evil angels to manipulate the forces of nature to cause disorder, disease, death, and disaster. However, I'm not sure if you agree with me the laws of nature act accordingly because Jesus continues to sustain them. Nor I am sure if you agree with me Jesus establishes limits and works to ensure evil angels do not exceed them. Please comment on these two points.

I realize you believe Jesus has never employed the forces of nature to cause disease, death, or destruction. On this we shall have to disagree. We have already discussed the passages that clearly say otherwise (PP 109, 1SP 84, 3SG 82, etc). I realize you believe such passages must be interpreted to mean Jesus withdraws His protection and either permits the forces of nature to wreak havoc or permits evil angles to manipulate them.

Is disease, death, and destruction Jesus' will? He is willing to permit evil angels to cause disease, death, and destruction; but He sets and enforces limits. Evil angels are not free to decide the extent. Jesus works to prevent evil angels from exceeding the limits He is willing to allow. Jesus is responsible for making sure evil angels do not cause more harm than He is willing to permit.

Why is Jesus willing to permit evil angels to cause trouble?

What would happen if evil angels refused to cause the trouble Jesus is willing to permit?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #157067
10/11/13 03:51 PM
10/11/13 03:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
So again, yes, it does seem that he means that when people are sick, Jesus directly and intentionally caused them to get sick.

You are mistaken.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #157069
10/11/13 04:09 PM
10/11/13 04:09 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: kland

You are mistaken.
But are you not saying everything happens because it is God's will and power? What are you saying????

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #157072
10/11/13 04:17 PM
10/11/13 04:17 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: MM
Why is Jesus willing to permit evil angels to cause trouble?
Read PP Chapter 1 - WHY WAS SIN PERMITTED. Read GC Chapter 29, THE ORIGIN OF EVIL. Sin destroys the sinner, not God. IF God had allowed the natural consequences of sin to happen, Satan and his angels would have died, but it would not have been understood that this was the natural consequence of sin.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #157073
10/11/13 04:20 PM
10/11/13 04:20 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
What would happen if evil angels refused to cause the trouble Jesus is willing to permit?
Satan was free to do to Job what he wanted, except kill him, though Satan killed others! Satan did not have to torment Job, did he? God did not FORCE Satan to do anything evil. Evil does what evil does.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #157077
10/11/13 04:59 PM
10/11/13 04:59 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
I agree with you Jesus permits evil angels to manipulate the forces of nature to cause disorder, disease, death, and disaster. However, I'm not sure if you agree with me the laws of nature act accordingly because Jesus continues to sustain them. Nor I am sure if you agree with me Jesus establishes limits and works to ensure evil angels do not exceed them. Please comment on these two points.
It is written: Acts 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

The Ministry of Healing speaks about this:
Originally Posted By: EGW
The Saviour in His miracles revealed the power that is continually at work in man’s behalf, to sustain and to heal him. Through the agencies of nature, God is working, day by day, hour by hour, moment by moment, to keep us alive, to build up and restore us. When any part of the body sustains injury, a healing process is at once begun; nature’s agencies are set at work to restore soundness. But the power working through these agencies is the power of God. All life-giving power is from Him. When one recovers from disease, it is God who restores him. {MH 112.1}

Sickness, suffering, and death are work of an antagonistic power. Satan is the destroyer; God is the restorer. {MH 113.1}

The words spoken to Israel are true today of those who recover health of body or health of soul. “I am the Lord that healeth thee.” Exo_15:26. {MH 113.2}

The desire of God for every human being is expressed in the words, “Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.” 3Jn_1:2. {MH 113.3}
He it is who “forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with loving-kindness and tender mercies.” Psa_103:3-4. {MH 113.4}

When Christ healed disease, He warned many of the afflicted ones, “Sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.” Joh_5:14. Thus He taught that they had brought disease upon themselves by transgressing the laws of God, and that health could be preserved only by obedience. {MH 113.5}

The physician should teach his patients that they are to cooperate with God in the work of restoration. The physician has a continually increasing realization of the fact that disease is the result of sin. He knows that the laws of nature, as truly as the precepts of the Decalogue, are divine, and that only in obedience to them can health be recovered or preserved. He sees many suffering as the result of hurtful practices who might be restored to health if they would do what they might for their own restoration. They need to be taught that every practice which destroys the physical, mental, or spiritual energies is sin, and that health is to be secured through obedience to the laws that God has established for the good of all mankind. {MH 113.6}

Let it be made plain that the way of God’s commandments is the way of life. God has established the laws of nature, but His laws are not arbitrary exactions. Every “Thou shalt not,” whether in physical or in moral law, implies a promise. If we obey it, blessing will attend our steps. God never forces us to do right, but He seeks to save us from the evil and lead us to the good. {MH 114.2}
ALL sickness and disease are the work of an antagonistic power. Full stop.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #157079
10/11/13 09:48 PM
10/11/13 09:48 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Quote:
APL, who do you believe upholds the laws that give the forces of nature life and enables them to act? I suspect you believe Jesus is the source and sustainer of everything. I am certain you do not believe evil angels are the source and sustainer of the laws of nature that run and regulate matter, molecules, plants, animals, people, etc. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Did I misspeak? Do you believe evil angels have power to give life to the forces of nature? Do you believe if Jesus were to cease empowering nature to act that evil angels can empower them to continue acting?

Please bear in mind, I agree with you Jesus gives evil angels permission to employ the forces of nature to cause disorder, disease, death, and destruction. We are not discussing this point. The question we are studying is - Does Jesus also employ nature to punish sinners?

Quote:
The depths of the earth are the Lord's arsenal, whence were drawn weapons to be employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters gushing from the earth united with the waters from heaven to accomplish the work of desolation. Since the Flood, fire as well as water has been God's agent to destroy very wicked cities. These judgments are sent that those who lightly regard God's law and trample upon His authority may be led to tremble before His power and to confess His just sovereignty. As men have beheld burning mountains pouring forth fire and flames and torrents of melted ore, drying up rivers, overwhelming populous cities, and everywhere spreading ruin and desolation, the stoutest heart has been filled with terror and infidels and blasphemers have been constrained to acknowledge the infinite power of God. {PP 109.1}

The bowels of the earth were the Lord's arsenal, from which he drew forth the weapons he employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters in the bowels of the earth gushed forth, and united with the waters from heaven, to accomplish the work of destruction. Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities. {1SP 84.3}

In the day of the Lord, just before the coming of Christ, God will send lightnings from heaven in his wrath, which will unite with fire in the earth. The mountains will burn like a furnace, and will pour forth terrible streams of lava, destroying gardens and fields, villages and cities; and as they pour their melted ore, rocks and heated mud, into the rivers, will cause them to boil like a pot, and send forth massive rocks, and scatter their broken fragments upon the land with indescribable violence. Whole rivers will be dried up. The earth will be convulsed, and there will be dreadful eruptions and earthquakes everywhere. God will plague the wicked inhabitants of the earth until they are destroyed from off it. The saints are preserved in the earth in the midst of these dreadful commotions, as Noah was preserved in the ark at the time of the flood. {1SP 84.4}

Those majestic trees which God had caused to grow upon the earth, for the benefit of the inhabitants of the old world, and which they had used to form into idols, and to corrupt themselves with, God has reserved in the earth, in the shape of coal and oil to use as agencies in their final destruction. As he called forth the waters in the earth at the time of the flood, as weapons from his arsenal to accomplish the destruction of the antediluvian race, so at the end of the one thousand years he will call forth the fires in the earth as his weapons which he has reserved for the final destruction, not only of successive generations since the flood, but the antediluvian race who perished by the flood. {3SG 87.1}

Do you believe passages like the ones posted above must be interpreted to mean Jesus withdraws His protection and permits evil angels to cause death and destruction? For example, does Jesus expect us to read - "Since the flood, God has used both water and fire in the earth as his agents to destroy wicked cities." - to mean "Since the flood, God has [permitted evil angels to use] both water and fire in the earth as agents to destroy wicked cities."

Also, does Jesus expect us to read - "These judgments are sent that those who lightly regard God's law and trample upon His authority may be led to tremble before His power and to confess His just sovereignty. . . . and to acknowledge the infinite power of God." - to mean the result of permitting evil angels to destroy leads sinners to tremble before His power and to confess His just sovereignty and to acknowledge the infinite power of God.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #157080
10/11/13 10:20 PM
10/11/13 10:20 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Jesus is the restorer, Satan is the destroyer. So take your quotes and place them with all EGW's statements to get the full picture!Jesus is the restorer, Satan is the destroyer.
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. {14MR 3.1}
Is that not clear?
We are not to regard God as waiting to punish the sinner for his sin. The sinner brings the punishment upon himself. His own actions start a train of circumstances that bring the sure result. Every act of transgression reacts upon the sinner, works in him a change of character, and makes it more easy for him to transgress again. By choosing to sin, men separate themselves from God, cut themselves off from the channel of blessing, and the sure result is ruin and death. {1SM 235.2}
Does the story of Job mean anything in this context???

Page 44 of 104 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 103 104

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!