HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,299 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 65 of 104 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 103 104
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: kland] #157730
10/30/13 01:01 AM
10/30/13 01:01 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
APL, I think I understand what you believe. You believe Jesus has never caused disease, death, or destruction. It is the result of sin,sinners, and evil angels. You also believe Jesus commanded capital punishment and war because the Jews desired it. It was not a compromise.
If Jesus causes disease, death, destruction, of what use do you think Jesus needs of satan?

Jesus also commands holy angels to cause death and destruction. He also commanded holy men to wage war and to execute capital punishment.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #157735
10/30/13 01:25 AM
10/30/13 01:25 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
MM - did the Israelites follow God in all His commands? What happened at Sinai right after they said they would do all He commanded? The Golden Calf.

MM - do YOU believe that the Israelites were suppose to fight their way into Canaan? If so, based on what? If not, based on what?

No, the Jews did not obey everything Jesus commanded.

Moses waged war.
So could you answer the question, were the Israelites suppose to fight their way into Canaan? And give supporting evidence for your answer?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #157736
10/30/13 01:27 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
APL, I think I understand what you believe. You believe Jesus has never caused disease, death, or destruction. It is the result of sin,sinners, and evil angels. You also believe Jesus commanded capital punishment and war because the Jews desired it. It was not a compromise.
If Jesus causes disease, death, destruction, of what use do you think Jesus needs of satan?

Jesus also commands holy angels to cause death and destruction. He also commanded holy men to wage war and to execute capital punishment.
And HOW do holy angels cause death and destruction????

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #157737
jamesonofthunder  Offline
Banned
SDA
Active Member 2015

3500+ Member
USA

Jesus doesn't need Satan at all.

Death is the result of sin, but God did not want sin. Satan was made perfect and he sinned, against God's will.

This world is full of demons trying to destroy God's people. God uses judgment to clear the path. God makes war against the wicked for the sake of the righteously convicted. He loves His church more than anything else in His Universe and proved it by letting His Son die for us.

The protection of the righteous is why God has to destroy the wicked. He does not like the act, but it must be done to protect those He has the responsibility of protecting, those He sees as His children. He has promised to protect them and lead them to the promised land, so He sends nature or angels or warriors ahead of the people to protect them.

The main difference between those killing for God, as opposed to men killing for Satan, is that God wants to save everyone and anyone who repents can be saved; 5 righteous men could have saved the whole town of Sodom.

Conversely Satan wants to destroy EVERYONE, even those who he sets up as his henchmen. There is nothing good that comes from the destruction Satan wants. ALL good comes from the destruction God employs on the wicked.

Search me oh God and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts, see if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to the way everlasting. Amen
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #157740
10/30/13 02:25 AM
10/30/13 02:25 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
God is UNABLE to lie. Titus 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

I wonder what Johann thinks of this idea.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #157741
10/30/13 02:32 AM
10/30/13 02:32 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
A problem persists with your comments, God does discipline, no question. THE question is what happens at the end of the sin problem. THAT is the question.

Proverbs 13:24 Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.
Hebrews 12:6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives."

No discipline happens after death.

I don't think you understand the scope of God's sovereignty. He will fix sin forever, not just for earth.

You also seem to think that stuff happens without God's power. That's just not true. Without God's constant power, everything literally falls apart. Use your scientific knowledge.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: asygo] #157742
10/30/13 02:53 AM
10/30/13 02:53 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
A problem persists with your comments, God does discipline, no question. THE question is what happens at the end of the sin problem. THAT is the question.

Proverbs 13:24 Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.
Hebrews 12:6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives."

No discipline happens after death.

I don't think you understand the scope of God's sovereignty. He will fix sin forever, not just for earth.

You also seem to think that stuff happens without God's power. That's just not true. Without God's constant power, everything literally falls apart. Use your scientific knowledge.
So you do believe that God is responsible for all the evil. Interesting...

You think you understand the Great Controversy? Good for you! Below is excerpt quote from article I resent wrote.

Not only had man come under the power of the deceiver, but the earth itself, the dominion of man, was usurped by the enemy. Through the plan of salvation, through the sacrifice of Christ, not only man, but his dominion, was to be redeemed. Because of the merits of Christ, all that man lost through sin was to be restored. The time would come when there should be no more curse, but the throne of God should be in the earth renewed, and his servants should serve Him. The promise would be fulfilled, "The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein forever."

Through the plan of salvation, a larger purpose is to be wrought out even than the salvation of man and the redemption of the earth. Through the revelation of the character of God in Christ, the beneficence of the divine government will be manifested before the universe, the charge of Satan against God refuted, the nature and result of sin made plain, and the perpetuity of the law fully demonstrated. Satan had declared that the law of God was faulty, and that the good of the universe demanded a change in its requirements. In attacking the law, he thought to overthrow the authority of its Author, and gain for himself the supreme allegiance. But through the plan of salvation, the precepts of the law were to be proved perfect and immutable, that at last one tide of glory and love might go up throughout the universe, ascribing glory and honour and praise to Him that sitteth upon the throne, and to the Lamb forever and ever.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #157755
10/30/13 03:41 PM
10/30/13 03:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: No, the Jews did not obey everything Jesus commanded. Moses waged war.

A: So could you answer the question, were the Israelites suppose to fight their way into Canaan? And give supporting evidence for your answer?

Jesus commanded the Jews to wage war. The evidence is prolific.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: APL] #157756
10/30/13 03:44 PM
10/30/13 03:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Jesus also commands holy angels to cause death and destruction. He also commanded holy men to wage war and to execute capital punishment.

A: And HOW do holy angels cause death and destruction????

Holy angels and evil angels exercise the "same destructive power".

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 2) [Re: Mountain Man] #157760
10/30/13 05:09 PM
10/30/13 05:09 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
M: Jesus also commands holy angels to cause death and destruction. He also commanded holy men to wage war and to execute capital punishment.

A: And HOW do holy angels cause death and destruction????

Holy angels and evil angels exercise the "same destructive power".
Long answer - will you read it?

The Same Powers

Taken in isolation, this is a difficult statement. I do believe I have talked about this before.

A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}.

The portion of this statement causing the most difficulty is this, “The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits.”

It is easy to see how this statement could leave you with the conviction that holy angels destroy exactly as do evil angels. It would appear that the only difference is that holy angels destroy by God’s command while the evil do it with His permission.

What happens is that almost everyone tends to read into this statement more than it actually says. Here is what the statement does not say: “The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised in the same way by evil angels when He permits.”

These four words, “in the same way,” are not in the statement, neither are they inferred there. Yet, despite multiplied evidences to this effect, this is exactly what most people read into the reference. They make no distinction between the work of God and of Satan, and therefore, they make no distinction between the character of each. This is serious.

As we have examined this text in The Great Controversy, page 614, we have isolated the portion that causes confusion. However, if we were to back up even one sentence and obtain a wider context, we would find the introductory concept spelled out clearly:

As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old. This in just one paragraph up! (see {GC 614.1})

By this and similar statements we find that destructive power is indeed unleashed by God’s command to holy angels. Angels are appointed as ministers to those who shall be heirs of salvation as we read in Hebrews 1:14. When they can no longer function in a given situation because there are no heirs of salvation found in sufficient number, angels must abandon their heaven appointed post of holding back the winds of strife and leave the forces of evil and natural chaos to bear sway, such as we find in the major catastrophes of the flood and the conflagration upon Sodom and Gomorrah.

The angels only release the destructive forces when God judges that any further remaining on station will impose their presence where it is not desired and make Him into something which He is not―a God of force. There are many inspired passages that teach this.

After these things I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, on the sea, or on any tree (Revelation 7:1).

We are today under divine forbearance; but how long will the angels of God continue to hold the winds, that they shall not blow? {6T 426.2}

Angels are now restraining the winds of strife, that they may not blow until the world shall be warned of its coming doom; but a storm is gathering, ready to burst upon the earth; and when God shall bid His angels loose the winds, there will be such a scene of strife as no pen can picture. {Ed 179.6}

I saw four angels who had a work to do on the earth, and were on their way to accomplish it. Jesus was clothed with priestly garments. He gazed in pity on the remnant, then raised His hands, and with a voice of deep pity cried, “My blood, Father, My blood, My blood, My blood!” Then I saw an exceeding bright light come from God, who sat upon the great white throne, and was shed all about Jesus. Then I saw an angel with a commission from Jesus, swiftly flying to the four angels who had a work to do on the earth, and waving something up and down in his hand, and crying with a loud voice, “Hold! Hold! Hold! Hold! until the servants of God are sealed in their foreheads.” {EW 38.1}

I asked my accompanying angel the meaning of what I heard, and what the four angels were about to do. He said to me that it was God that restrained the powers, and that He gave His angels charge over things on the earth; that the four angels had power from God to hold the four winds, and that they were about to let them go; but while their hands were loosening, and the four winds were about to blow, the merciful eye of Jesus gazed on the remnant that were not sealed, and He raised His hands to the Father and pleaded with Him that He had spilled His blood for them. Then another angel was commissioned to fly swiftly to the four angels, and bid them hold, until the servants of God were sealed with the seal of the living God in their foreheads {EW 38.2}

Satan is the destroyer. God cannot bless those who refuse to be faithful stewards. All He can do is to permit Satan to accomplish his destroying work. We see calamities of every kind and in every degree coming upon the earth, and why? The Lord’s restraining power is not exercised. The world has disregarded the word of God. They live as though there were no God. Like the inhabitants of the Noachic world, they refuse to have any thought of God. Wickedness prevails to an alarming extent, and the earth is ripe for the harvest. {6T 388.3}

Every one of these and many other similar statements confirm that the angels’ role is to hold back those terrible powers that are only awaiting release to destroy the earth and the heavens. Angels are righteous. They have not instituted their ways in place of God’s. Accordingly, they do only what the Lord would have them do. As surely as the God of heaven never destroys by direct action, neither do the angels. Therefore, the way in which they exercise those powers is by the withdrawal of their restraint upon them. The released energies pass from an inactive state into one of intense activity and, consequently, of exercise.

This is the way in which the powers are brought into active exercise by holy angels when God commands, but it is not the way evil angels exercise them when God permits. Satan and his followers have studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature and the turbulent forces within human beings until they know just how to activate them into destructive intensities. Thus, while God’s angels are working to hold back these fearful elements, Satan and his company are working in the opposite direction. It is the evil powers that are standing by with bloodlust, “now ready, and only waiting the divine permission,” to exercise their destructive power everywhere. (See {GC 614})=

But whether they are released into active exercise by the holy angels or manipulated by evil angels, they are the same powers. This is the principal thought that the statement conveys when interpreted according to the principles of God’s government and character. It does not discuss the way in which those powers are exercised. When it is recognized that this is the subject matter of the statement, there will be no problem in understanding it.

Far from proving that good angels, at God’s command, sally forth and execute the unrighteous, this statement, by emphasizing that it is the same power in any case, verifies that they do not. If God undertook the work of executioner, He would not bother to use anything less than the greatest powers at His command. These certainly are not those in nature and in humanity. They are the almighty forces within Himself, forces so great that He merely has to speak and whole worlds appear and, in turn, disappear. Therefore, if God was the destroyer, it would not be the same powers as those used by the evil angels who have nothing of themselves but are dependent on what God has invested in them, in nature, and in human beings to do their work of destruction. God has almighty omnipotence and is not in any sense dependent on the relatively puny potentials He has given to this earth and its inhabitants. If these facts are kept in mind, then the statement presents no problem.

God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. {DA 759.1}

Page 65 of 104 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 103 104

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!