HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,654 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 76 of 102 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 101 102
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #163383
03/14/14 07:46 PM
03/14/14 07:46 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Originally Posted By: kland
What you have said, is a murderer is someone who has not killed someone.

You say I said so. But the truth is clear. Your argument is with the Word of God. It was Jesus who commanded capital punishment and war.

Tell us, how is it justified for capital punishment against children? Ever know of a judge giving capital punishment to a child? But yet you think Jesus does.

Again, your argument is with Jesus. It was Jesus who commanded the Jews to utterly kill every man, woman, and child.
So you are saying that if someone objects to Jesus murdering men, women, and children, that is something they need to take up with Him.

Do you think it would be safe for them to do so?

I mean, imagine someone asking the papacy if it was proper to burn people at the stake.

I would ask you how that viewpoint of Jesus would lead the infidel to Him, but you already said so what, that's their problem.

Sad, isn't it.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: kland] #163415
03/15/14 04:43 PM
03/15/14 04:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: But it is a "mistake" to assume Jesus is recanting what He commanded in the OT. "Christ, the angel whom God had appointed to go before his chosen people, gave to Moses statutes and requirements necessary to a living religion and to govern the people of God. Christians commit a terrible mistake in calling this law severe and arbitrary, and then contrasting it with the gospel and mission of Christ in his ministry on earth, as though he were in opposition to the just precepts which they call the law of Moses. {RH, May 6, 1875 par. 12}

K: Jesus commanded "Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot," Jesus said, "Mt 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." You read, but don't understand.

Here is the context of Matthew 5:38-39

Quote:
A detachment of the Roman troops was encamped near by, on the sea-shore, and Jesus is now interrupted by the loud blast of the trumpet which is the signal for the soldiers to assemble on the plain below. They form in the regular order, bowing in homage to the Roman standard which is uplifted before them. With bitterness the Jews look upon this scene which reminds them of their own degradation as a nation. Presently messengers are dispatched from the army, with orders to various distant posts. As they toil up the abrupt bank that borders the shore, they are brought near to the listening crowd that surrounds Jesus, and they force some of the Jewish peasants to carry their burdens for them up the steep ascent. The peasants resist this act of oppression, and address their persecutors with violent language; but they are finally compelled to obey the soldiers, and perform the menial task required of them. This exhibition of Roman authority stirs the people with indignation, and they turn eagerly to hear what the great Teacher will say of this cruel act of oppression. With sadness, because of the sins which had brought the Jews into such bondage, Jesus looks upon the shameful scene. He also notes the hatred and revenge stamped upon the faces of the Jews, and knows how bitterly they long for power to crush their oppressors. Mournfully he says:-- {2SP 222.2}

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil; but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away." {2SP 223.1}

Jesus is addressing Jewish rage, hatred, and desire to retaliate against the Romans. The Law of Moses does not demand eye for an eye or tooth for a tooth under such circumstances. The law is clear:

Quote:
Exodus
21:22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart [from her], and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges [determine].
21:23 And if [any] mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,
21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,
21:25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.
21:26 And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake.
21:27 And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake.

Leviticus
24:17 And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.
24:18 And he that killeth a beast shall make it good; beast for beast.
24:19 And if a man cause a blemish in his neighbour; as he hath done, so shall it be done to him;
24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him [again].
24:21 And he that killeth a beast, he shall restore it: and he that killeth a man, he shall be put to death.

Deuteronomy
19:21 And thine eye shall not pity; [but] life [shall go] for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.

Jesus commanded just and equitable recompense in the Law of Moses. The requirements applied to the Jewish nation under the Theocracy of Jesus. While under Roman rule the Jews were not free to enforce all aspects of the Law of Moses. They were not at liberty, under Roman rule, to invoke the Law of Moses against Roman soldiers who oppressed them and harshly abused them.

Again, it is a "mistake" to assume Jesus recanted what He commanded in the Law of Moses. Nevertheless, your argument is invalid, even if it were true. It doesn't change the fact Jesus commanded killing criminals and combatants. You have not dealt with the truth. You are avoiding it. In so doing, you give the impression that Jesus made a mistake when He commanded killing criminals and combatants and that He corrected His mistake in the NT.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: kland] #163416
03/15/14 04:49 PM
03/15/14 04:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Again, your argument is with Jesus. It was Jesus who commanded the Jews to utterly kill every man, woman, and child.

K: So you are saying that if someone objects to Jesus murdering men, women, and children, that is something they need to take up with Him. Do you think it would be safe for them to do so? I mean, imagine someone asking the papacy if it was proper to burn people at the stake. I would ask you how that viewpoint of Jesus would lead the infidel to Him, but you already said so what, that's their problem. Sad, isn't it.

You are avoiding the truth. Jesus clearly commanded killing criminals and combatants. You are denying the Word of God. You act as if Jesus did not command killing criminals and combatants. You cannot pick and choose what you believe. Either the Bible is true or it is not.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #163419
03/15/14 04:57 PM
03/15/14 04:57 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
MM - are you blind to the truth that God never wanted the people take the land by warfare? Are you blind to the truth that if you have seen Jesus, you have seen the Father?

Only like can appreciate like. Unless you accept in your own life the principle of self-sacrificing love, which is the principle of His character, you cannot know God. The heart that is deceived by Satan, looks upon God as a tyrannical, relentless being; the selfish characteristics of humanity, even of Satan himself, are attributed to the loving Creator. “Thou thoughtest,” He says, “that I was altogether such an one as thyself.” Psa_50:21. His providences are interpreted as the expression of an arbitrary, vindictive nature. So with the Bible, the treasure house of the riches of His grace. The glory of its truths, that are as high as heaven and compass eternity, is undiscerned. To the great mass of mankind, Christ Himself is “as a root out of a dry ground,” and they see in Him “no beauty that” they “should desire Him.” Isa_53:2. When Jesus was among men, the revelation of God in humanity, the scribes and Pharisees declared to Him, “Thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil.” Joh_8:48. Even His disciples were so blinded by the selfishness of their hearts that they were slow to understand Him who had come to manifest to them the Father’s love. This was why Jesus walked in solitude in the midst of men. He was understood fully in heaven alone.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #163423
03/15/14 06:37 PM
03/15/14 06:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
APL, even if Jesus never wanted the Jews to fight (not saying I believe you), it doesn't change the fact He commanded them to utterly kill every man, woman, and child. You have not dealt with the truth.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #163427
03/15/14 08:37 PM
03/15/14 08:37 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
APL, even if Jesus never wanted the Jews to fight (not saying I believe you), it doesn't change the fact He commanded them to utterly kill every man, woman, and child. You have not dealt with the truth.

And very soon religious people will do it again saying it is God's will. They will claim to have had direct communication from God to do so and bring Biblical statements to prove it.

But it will not be God's will at all.

I don't think anyone realizes what they are doing by pushing and pushing this topic.

The crusades against the Waldenses and the Huguenots were all so called "Holy Wars" in which thousands of whole families were killed. The people who hunted down and did the killing believed they were doing God's will and gaining God's favor.

We've been watching the videos "The Spreading Flame" documenting the Reformation Era -- thousands of people were burned or drowned or suffered other cruel deaths because a church believed God commanded them to do this.

In the very near future it will happen again.

But who will be authorizing this? Which spirit?

While I don't agree with APL's theology on this matter, yet I most certainly do not agree with those who believe the death sentence should be reinstated for religious and moral based "crimes". Yes, those "stoning" laws ended at the cross.

Christ took the penalty of death upon Himself at the cross. Thus He could say to the woman caught in adultery, "Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more."
The only reason any need perish in the final destruction, is because they rejected this marvelous offer of life.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #163458
03/16/14 06:14 PM
03/16/14 06:14 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
It changes everything if you start with a false premise, that God wanted the people to fight.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: dedication] #163459
03/16/14 06:17 PM
03/16/14 06:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
While I don't agree with APL's theology on this matter, yet I most certainly do not agree with those who believe the death sentence should be reinstated for religious and moral based "crimes". Yes, those "stoning" laws ended at the cross.

Christ took the penalty of death upon Himself at the cross. Thus He could say to the woman caught in adultery, "Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." The only reason any need perish in the final destruction, is because they rejected this marvelous offer of life.

Amen!

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #163460
03/16/14 06:19 PM
03/16/14 06:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
APL, I doubt you are ever going to confess the truth. It is pointless to discuss it with you.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #163464
03/16/14 06:51 PM
03/16/14 06:51 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
APL, I doubt you are ever going to confess the truth. It is pointless to discuss it with you.
I'm not forcing you to continue. It is interesting that you think I won't believe the truth, but you do understand that I think it is YOU that won't believe the truth. As I said, if you start with a false premise and do everything in your power to support that premise, you will just harden your heart to the truth. Coercive power is not found in God's government. God never wanted the people to fight, but fight they did! But this is not God's way of governing.

God could have destroyed Satan and his sympathizers as easily as one can cast a pebble to the earth; but He did not do this. Rebellion was not to be overcome by force. Compelling power is found only under Satan's government. The Lord's principles are not of this order. His authority rests upon goodness, mercy, and love; and the presentation of these principles is the means to be used. God's government is moral, and truth and love are to be the prevailing power. {DA 759.1}

So, no one is compelling you to continue this conversation. I do not see the truth about God in what you have presented. If you do not accept the truth that God did not want the people to fight, then you can't understand the actions and motives that followed. It is pointless for you to continue to try to change my view on this, that is true. It is not pointless for me to try to show you the way. But I won't make you continue or force you to see it my way, for surely I can't and that is not my job. Only the Spirit can guide you into all truth. Just don't reject it when it comes.

Page 76 of 102 1 2 74 75 76 77 78 101 102

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!