HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29
2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law #163851
04/01/14 03:20 AM
04/01/14 03:20 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
"From the very beginning of the great controversy in heaven it has been Satan's purpose to overthrow the law of God." GC 582

WHY?

Because God's law is the foundation of his government. To overthrow it would be to overthrow God's government.

The law expresses the moral integrity of the cosmos and to overthrow that law would be to overthrow the moral order of creation.

But what is morality?

Morality involves the power of thinking and the ability to choose. Morality differentiates between right and wrong.

But what is right and what is wrong?

Is it love -- just love?

But what defines love?
"Love can't exist without freedom, moral freedom. And moral freedom can't exist without law, moral law".

Quote:
The law of God is as sacred as Himself. It is a revelation of His will, a transcript of His character, the expression of divine love and wisdom. Through the ages that law has been preserved as the highest standard of morality. Not all the inventions of science or the imaginations of fruitful minds have been able to discover one essential duty not covered by this code. {ST, February 1, 1910 par. 6}
God's law is the security of life and property, of peace and happiness. It was given to secure our present and eternal good. A thoughtful kindness runs through every enactment. Each commandment is an enactment of mercy, love, and saving power. {ST, February 1, 1910 par. 7}

Link to Introduction to this quarters lessons

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #163853
04/01/14 02:58 PM
04/01/14 02:58 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
TY for creating this thread. smile

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: Daryl] #163863
04/01/14 05:23 PM
04/01/14 05:23 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Lesson 1

Laws in Christ's Day.

The lesson lists several different sets of laws in existence in Christ's day.

A. Roman law
---issues of government
---behavior in domestic arena
---social codes

B. Mosaic Law
---Civic laws governing Jewish society
---Ceremonial centering around the sanctuary and its services
---Moral law based mainly upon the ten commandments

C. Rabbinic Law
---laws interpreting and adding details to the Mosaic law.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #163864
04/01/14 05:25 PM
04/01/14 05:25 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here also is the link to Lesson #1:

http://www.ssnet.org/lessons/14b/less01.html#sab

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #163866
04/01/14 05:29 PM
04/01/14 05:29 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Discussion Question

Long before Moses penned the laws that were to govern Israel, Egyptians, Babylonians and other societies had their systems of societal laws that were in some cases similar in content to some of God's laws.
From where do societies get their sense of good and evil?

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #163868
04/01/14 05:49 PM
04/01/14 05:49 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Some of my thoughts pertaining to the discussion question.

In the garden of Eden, God communicated directly with Adam and Eve, thus they were acquainted with God's ways.

After the fall this statement was made:

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed;

"God pledged Himself to introduce into the hearts of human beings a new principle—a hatred of sin, of deception, of pretense, of everything that bears the marks of Satan’s guile."
Manuscript 72, 1904

This enmity against sin is the work of the Holy Spirit in the minds of people, for Paul writes:

Romans 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
2:15 Which show the work of the law written in their hearts,

It is the work of the Holy Spirit to write God's law upon our hearts and minds. (see Jer. 31:33, Romans 8 and Heb. 8:10)

Yet the human heart is deceitful according to scripture, and can quench the true voice of the Holy Spirit, rationalizing evil, till they call good,evil, and evil, good, thus God gave mankind his law in written form as well, for the standard by which to know what is good and what is evil.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #163879
04/01/14 11:04 PM
04/01/14 11:04 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Why does the Old Testament refer to the commandments as a "Covenant"?

Some Bible students have noticed that the language used in the Ten Commandment is the language of a covenant.

What is the difference between commandments and a covenant?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: Johann] #163895
04/02/14 05:14 AM
04/02/14 05:14 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Good question.

I well remember my first Bible study given me by a person who left the church back in the 1970's. It went something like this.

Exodus 34:28 And he (Moses) was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Hebrews 8:13 In that he said, A new covenant, he has made the first old. Now that which decays and waxes old is ready to vanish away.

John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

Thus he maintained -- the old ten commands have vanished away and we are now under the new commandments of "love".

It is a popular teaching. Yet it is a teaching that is used mainly by people who wish to get away from the Sabbath! Ever notice that? I mean, Christian denominations are having special days called "ten commandment days". They are fighting to have the ten commandments posted in schools and court rooms. So what is really going on? It's basically a battle against the 7th day, Sabbath!

Now the ten commandments are very much part of the covenant. Paul makes several statements that breakers of the commandments cannot inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Cor. 6:9-10, Galatians 5:19-21)
The covenant was given because
God's law was broken -- sin was everywhere.
It was given so covenant breakers could find forgiveness -- Christ took their punishment,
and be restored back into image of God -- living righteously.

The ten commandments remain the foundation of God's government, the standard of right and wrong. They are part of the everlasting covenant.

So the question is really -- what is the role of the commandments in the new covenant, is it different from the old covenant?

Without Christ, the law brings death, for all have sinned, transgressing the law, and the wages of sin is death.
But Christ has paid that price at Calvary, and He offers us life. We are freed from the condemnation of the law through Christ, but what now? What role do the commandments have now?

We can look at almost identical verses in Jeremiah and Hebrews.

Jeremiah 31:31-33

Quote:
“Behold, days are coming,” declares the LORD, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the LORD. “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the LORD, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.”

At Sinai, God wrote his commandments on two tablets of stone. The people declared, "all God has commanded we will do", thinking they themselves could do it. They of course failed.

Yet when people turn to God and give their lives into His control, they partake of the new covenant in which God has promised:

"“I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.”

Thus the law is internalized -- that is, it becomes part of our very nature. Through the work of the Holy Spirit and our co-operation with His leading a transformation takes place in the character and life of the believer.

2 Cor.3: 3 "written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshly tables of the heart."

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: Johann] #163897
04/02/14 07:20 AM
04/02/14 07:20 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Johann
Why does the Old Testament refer to the commandments as a "Covenant"?

Some Bible students have noticed that the language used in the Ten Commandment is the language of a covenant.

What is the difference between commandments and a covenant?

The commandments are part of God's covenant relationship with us. When we enter His covenant, we obey those commandments. The commandments are written in future tense. This means each of them is essentially a promise God makes with us, that when we enter into this covenant relationship with Him, we will cease to do those things which are sinful.

Picking out some of them for an example, and for the sake of brevity:

"You will not have any other gods...."
"You will not take the name of your Lord God in vain...."
"On the seventh day you will not do any work...."
"You will will not murder."
"You will not commit adultery."
"You will not steal."

Each one is a promise. The whole is a covenant, and God keeps His promises. We have only to keep our side of the bargain, and the covenant is sure to be fulfilled--Christ's character will be seen in us.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #163929
04/03/14 05:49 AM
04/03/14 05:49 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Read Matthew 19:16-19, Romans 13:8-10, and James 2:8-12. What do these verses say about the role that the Ten Commandments played in the lives of those who are followers of Christ?

How do we connect "love" with "commandments"?

Can one function without the other in a true Christians life?

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 28 29
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!