HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,500 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 88 of 102 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 101 102
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #164658
05/02/14 02:49 PM
05/02/14 02:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
APL, I'm not at all surprised you didn't answer my questions or address my comment. Too bad. So sad. The point remains - You believe Jesus abandons innocent people to the ravages of nature, evil men, and evil angels. You regularly cite Job as proof. You might as well include the missionaries who are murdered abroad.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #164660
05/02/14 03:53 PM
05/02/14 03:53 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Do you understand freedom?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #164661
05/02/14 03:54 PM
05/02/14 03:54 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

Kland, you and APL believe Jesus leaves and forsakes people - Love Me or I'll leave and forsake you.

Quote:
- You believe Jesus abandons innocent people to the ravages of nature, evil men, and evil angels.

For the sake of argument, let's say that's true (It's not, but let's presume it is).

And the alternative you believe is .... what?
That Jesus doesn't leave and forsake people,
That Jesus doesn't abandon innocent people to the ravages of nature, evil men, and evil angels,
That Jesus doesn't say Love me or I'll leave and forsake you ---
But that He remains by the people to kill them, directly and intentionally tortures innocent people, and that He says Love me or I'll kill you?

Is that what you are saying? And that APL, myself, and others need to change our view of Jesus and hold a more hostile view of Him?

If not, what are you saying?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #164671
05/02/14 10:37 PM
05/02/14 10:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
APL, yes. We are free to believe or disbelieve. You believe if we disbelieve, Jesus will abandon us to death and destruction. You also believe if we believe, Jesus will abandon us to death and destruction.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: kland] #164672
05/02/14 10:41 PM
05/02/14 10:41 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: kland
M: Kland, you and APL believe Jesus leaves and forsakes people - Love Me or I'll leave and forsake you. You believe Jesus abandons innocent people to the ravages of nature, evil men, and evil angels.

K: For the sake of argument, let's say that's true (It's not, but let's presume it is).

Not true? What's not true?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #165912
06/15/14 12:51 PM
06/15/14 12:51 PM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The following text that was brought to my attention in this morning's IIW Canada telecast reminded me of this thread:
Quote:
Gen 6:13 And God said to Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

God told Noah that He "will destroy them", that "the end of all flesh is come before" Him.

So, with the exception of Noah and his family, who destroyed them? The answer is: God destroyed them.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #165914
06/15/14 01:53 PM
06/15/14 01:53 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Daryl
The following text that was brought to my attention in this morning's IIW Canada telecast reminded me of this thread:
Quote:
Gen 6:13 And God said to Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

God told Noah that He "will destroy them", that "the end of all flesh is come before" Him.

So, with the exception of Noah and his family, who destroyed them? The answer is: God destroyed them.

Some unbelievers in the truth might say that God's promise was amiss. He didn't mean what He said. Then again, that is too unambiguously against the scripture, so they will couch those words a little in some ambiguities and vagaries so that it appears more like....when God said "I" He really meant He would just withdraw His protection and let Satan do the dirty deed (as if cleaning the world with the awesome cleansing power of "water" constitutes a "dirty" deed).

Unbelievers are left without a good, rational excuse for not accepting the truth. The Bible is plain. Misunderstanding it in situations like this must be done purposefully and intentionally. It only increases one's guilt when the truth is rejected in such a situation as involves intentional ignorance of it.

I hope some here are listening to the Holy Spirit speaking through the inspired Word.

Satan must be artful to make his deceptions appear to be truths. He is forced to use ambiguities, vagaries, mysticisms, doubtings and disputings. God speaks boldly, plainly, and unambiguously on all fundamental points of doctrine. His laws are so clear that none need make a mistake. The punishment for breaking those laws, therefore, is just. It would not be justice to punish someone who was ignorant and who had had no opportunity of learning or accepting the truth. This is why Paul says, in effect, there is no sin without law. God is just, and His punishment is just. His reward is not just, but it is merciful and gracious. For this, the redeemed will praise Him for eternity.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #165917
06/15/14 02:42 PM
06/15/14 02:42 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
The Bible means what it means, not what is says.

Job 2:3 And the LORD said to Satan, Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that fears God, and eschews evil? and still he holds fast his integrity, although you moved me against him, to destroy him without cause.

There you have it!! God was moved against Job to destroy him and his family.

Numbers 21:6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.

There you have it!! God sent fiery serpents. Clear right?

It was generally believed by the Jews that sin is punished in this life. Every affliction was regarded as the penalty of some wrongdoing, either of the sufferer himself or of his parents. It is true that all suffering results from the transgression of God's law, but this truth had become perverted. Satan, the author of sin and all its results, had led men to look upon disease and death as proceeding from God,--as punishment arbitrarily inflicted on account of sin. Hence one upon whom some great affliction or calamity had fallen had the additional burden of being regarded as a great sinner. {DA 471.1}

Thus the way was prepared for the Jews to reject Jesus. He who "hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows" was looked upon by the Jews as "stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted;" and they hid their faces from Him.
Isaiah 53:4, 3. {DA 471.2}

God had given a lesson designed to prevent this. The history of Job had shown that suffering is inflicted by Satan, and is overruled by God for purposes of mercy. But Israel did not understand the lesson. The same error for which God had reproved the friends of Job was repeated by the Jews in their rejection of Christ.
{DA 471.3}

The same error is being repeated today.

Moses faithfully set before the people their great sin. It was God's power alone that had preserved them in "that great and terrible wilderness, wherein were fiery serpents, and scorpions, and drought, where there was no water." Deuteronomy 8:15. Every day of their travels they had been kept by a miracle of divine mercy. In all the way of God's leading they had found water to refresh the thirsty, bread from heaven to satisfy their hunger, and peace and safety under the shadowy cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night. Angels had ministered to them as they climbed the rocky heights or threaded the rugged paths of the wilderness. Notwithstanding the hardships they had endured, there was not a feeble one in all their ranks. Their feet had not swollen in their long journeys, neither had their clothes grown old. God had subdued before them the fierce beasts of prey and the venomous reptiles of the forest and the desert. If with all these tokens of His love the people still continued to complain, the Lord would withdraw His protection until they should be led to appreciate His merciful care, and return to Him with repentance and humiliation. {PP 428.3}

Because they had been shielded by divine power they had not realized the countless dangers by which they were continually surrounded. In their ingratitude and unbelief they had anticipated death, and now the Lord permitted death to come upon them. The poisonous serpents that infested the wilderness were called fiery serpents, on account of the terrible effects produced by their sting, it causing violent inflammation and speedy death. As the protecting hand of God was removed from Israel, great numbers of the people were attacked by these venomous creatures.
{PP 429.1}

Destruction comes when we reject God and because of freedom, God removes His protection just as he said He will.

Satan works through the elements also to garner his harvest of unprepared souls. He has studied the secrets of the laboratories of nature, and he uses all his power to control the elements as far as God allows. When he was suffered to afflict Job, how quickly flocks and herds, servants, houses, children, were swept away, one trouble succeeding another as in a moment. It is God that shields His creatures and hedges them in from the power of the destroyer. But the Christian world have shown contempt for the law of Jehovah; and the Lord will do just what He has declared that He would--He will withdraw His blessings from the earth and remove His protecting care from those who are rebelling against His law and teaching and forcing others to do the same. Satan has control of all whom God does not especially guard. He will favor and prosper some in order to further his own designs, and he will bring trouble upon others and lead men to believe that it is God who is afflicting them. {GC 589.2}

The Bible means what it means, not necessarily what it says. EGW is clear - God destroys no man. Those that are destroyed, destroy themselves.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #165923
06/16/14 01:23 AM
06/16/14 01:23 AM
Daryl  Offline
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well, from the quote below by EGW, the devil didn't do it for the devil feared for his own existence:
Quote:
As the violence of the storm increased, trees, buildings, rocks, and earth were hurled in every direction. The terror of man and beast was beyond description. Above the roar of the tempest was heard the wailing of a people that had despised the authority of God. Satan himself, who was compelled to remain in the midst of the warring elements, feared for his own existence. He had delighted to control so powerful a race, and desired them to live to practice their abominations and continue their rebellion against the Ruler of heaven. He now uttered imprecations against God, charging Him with injustice and cruelty. {PP 99.3}

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: APL] #165925
06/16/14 04:37 AM
06/16/14 04:37 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: APL
The Bible means what it means, not what is says.
The Bible means what it means, not necessarily what it says.

Wow. Interesting. You are on very shaky ground, APL. You would use your understanding of Ellen White to contradict her own understanding and doctrine. You would use Ellen White to refute the Bible. You would teach that the Bible does not mean what it says!

APL, I beg you to consider the distance which you have traveled away from the Bible. To say that the Bible does not mean what it says, when Heaven tells us otherwise, is error. It is the only justification you can make for your unbiblical views.

Mrs. White tells us the Bible means what it says. No, this is not Mrs. White saying it. This is a heavenly messenger, an angel, whom she is quoting. All of the quote below, save for the references and for the italicized portion, is a direct quote of the angel from Heaven.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
"O," said the heavenly messenger, "the Lord's institutions are terribly behind the greatness of the truths which are being fulfilled at the present time. There is a fearful misconception of the claims of duty. The frosty atmosphere in which believers are content to live retards the self-sacrificing movements which should be made to warn the world and save souls. {1SM 91.2}

"The powers of darkness are working with an intensity of effort, and year by year thousands of people, from all kindreds, nations, and tongues, pass into eternity, unwarned and unready. Our faith must mean something more definite, more decided, more important. {1SM 91.3}

"Ask my institutions and churches, 'Do you believe the Word of God? What then are you doing in missionary lines? Are you working with self-denial and self-sacrifice? Do you believe that the Word of God means what it says? Your actions show that you do not. How will you meet at the bar of God the countless millions who, unwarned, are passing into eternity? {1SM 91.4}

"'Will there be a second probation? No, no. This fallacy might just as well be given up at once. The present probation is all that we shall have. Do you realize that the salvation of fallen human beings must be secured in this present life, or they will be forever lost?'" {1SM 91.5}

Twist the angel's words at your own eternal peril.

In fact, to claim that the Bible does NOT mean what it says is to call the Bible a foolish book. Why do I say this? Look at the significance of not meaning what one says, as portrayed by Mrs. White, in the following message.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
In the use of language there is perhaps no error that old and young are more ready to pass over lightly in themselves than hasty, impatient speech. They think it a sufficient excuse to plead, "I was off my guard, and did not really mean what I said." But God's word does not treat it lightly. The Scripture says: {Ed 236.4}

"Seest thou a man that is hasty in his words? there is more hope of a fool than of him." Proverbs 29:20. {Ed 236.5}

"He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls." Proverbs 25:28. {Ed 236.6}

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Page 88 of 102 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 101 102

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!