HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Nadi, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 27 of 73 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 72 73
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: APL] #165266
05/21/14 06:16 PM
05/21/14 06:16 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Originally Posted By: APL
Originally Posted By: asygo
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
APL, I appreciate how you contrasted mind and flesh. Excellent point. Thank you.

Is our greatest battle against a carnal mind or carnal flesh?

The warfare against self is the greatest battle that was ever fought. {SC 43.3}
What makes up the self? Is the mind a completely separate entity from the Body? Does the body dictate the mind?

Since you have no answers, only questions, I'll give you the correct answer: carnal mind. The battle is against the carnal mind.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165267
05/21/14 06:25 PM
05/21/14 06:25 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
M: I'm talking about Jesus fighting the "greatest battle" - resisting the clamorings of sinful flesh.

A: So you say. Neither the Bible nor EGW say that.

Not sure what you are rejecting. Are you rejecting the idea the "greatest battle" involves resisting the clamorings of sinful flesh?

The greatest battle is against self, not "resisting the clamorings of sinful flesh."

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165268
05/21/14 06:26 PM
05/21/14 06:26 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Jesus, like the born-again believers described above, was free of selfishness.

But I have to battle against selfishness. It sounds like my battle is harder.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: APL] #165269
05/21/14 06:36 PM
05/21/14 06:36 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Jesus resurrected Himself with a glorified human body and human nature. He did not resurrect Himself with sinful flesh. Neither will He resurrect the saved with sinful flesh. Instead, He will resurrect them with sinless flesh.

You are missing one point!!!
When Christ sat down on the right hand of the Father, He, by Himself, has purged our sins. He had holy flesh.

Actually, I get the point. And so does MM.

Jesus is in heaven now in sinless, holy flesh, which inspiration describes as "human nature" (God has adopted human nature in the person of His Son, and has carried the same into the highest heaven. It is the "Son of man" who shares the throne of the universe. {DA 25.3}). Vehement protests notwithstanding, the Son of Man who walked the earth in human nature is the same Son of Man who sits on the throne in "the same" human nature.

Two points:
1. Holy flesh, like Adam had before the Fall, counts as "human nature" according to inspiration.

2. If Jesus in heaven has "the same" human nature as He had on earth, but we know that His nature here was fallen flesh, degraded by 4000 years of sin, either He has degraded flesh in heaven, or "human nature" is not primarily about the flesh, but something much more important.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165270
05/21/14 06:42 PM
05/21/14 06:42 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
The following passages are too clear to misunderstand:

Quote:
Matthew
7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

James
3:12 Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.

Arnold, it sounds like you and James are arguing quite the opposite. It sounds like you two are saying a "good tree" bears defiled (evil, sinful) fruit, and a "fountain" yields both fresh water and salt water.

James can speak well for himself so I don't need to do that for him. But I can tell you that I am not arguing the opposite of those verses.

Where you and I differ is that I believe the "good tree" still falls short until the day that "this corruptible has put on incorruption." The fruit may be good, but the "baskets" (corrupt channels of humanity) that transport the fruit cause problems.

Until you see that distinction, you will ever be confused about the fruits of the Spirit and the corrupt channels that corrupt. You will keep trying to convince people that corruption is OK.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165271
05/21/14 06:47 PM
05/21/14 06:47 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
M: The difference between you and I is you believe defiled means "evil," whereas I believe defiled means "lacks merit".

A: IF it simply lacks merit, then why did she say, right in that quote, that it needs cleansing?

She said - "All incense from earthly tabernacles must be moist with the cleansing drops of the blood of Christ. He holds before the Father the censer of His own merits, in which there is no taint of earthly corruption. He gathers into this censer the prayers, the praise, and the confessions of His people, and with these He puts His own spotless righteousness. Then, perfumed with the merits of Christ's propitiation, the incense comes up before God wholly and entirely acceptable."

You seem to think Jesus moistens evil with His blood. You also seem to think He perfumes evil with His merits. I completely disagree. Again, please note that He does not alter, change the fruit of abiding in Jesus. He merely adds to it. He doesn't remover anything from it. He adds merit thus making it acceptable.

You missed an important word. I highlighted it for your reference and edification.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: asygo] #165272
05/21/14 06:50 PM
05/21/14 06:50 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
You seem to think Jesus moistens evil with His blood. You also seem to think He perfumes evil with His merits. I completely disagree.

He doesn't just moisten. He doesn't just perfume. You disagree with a position I don't hold.

But, He does something very important that completely tears down the idea that the only problem is lack of merit.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: asygo] #165273
05/21/14 07:15 PM
05/21/14 07:15 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Jesus resurrected Himself with a glorified human body and human nature. He did not resurrect Himself with sinful flesh. Neither will He resurrect the saved with sinful flesh. Instead, He will resurrect them with sinless flesh.

You are missing one point!!!
When Christ sat down on the right hand of the Father, He, by Himself, has purged our sins. He had holy flesh.

Actually, I get the point. And so does MM.

Jesus is in heaven now in sinless, holy flesh, which inspiration describes as "human nature" (God has adopted human nature in the person of His Son, and has carried the same into the highest heaven. It is the "Son of man" who shares the throne of the universe. {DA 25.3}). Vehement protests notwithstanding, the Son of Man who walked the earth in human nature is the same Son of Man who sits on the throne in "the same" human nature.

Two points:
1. Holy flesh, like Adam had before the Fall, counts as "human nature" according to inspiration.

2. If Jesus in heaven has "the same" human nature as He had on earth, but we know that His nature here was fallen flesh, degraded by 4000 years of sin, either He has degraded flesh in heaven, or "human nature" is not primarily about the flesh, but something much more important.

1) Christ had POST FALL flesh, like his brothers, the seed of Abraham. Hebrews 2:16-18 For truly he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. 17 Why in all things it behooved him to be made like to his brothers, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that he himself has suffered being tempted, he is able to succor them that are tempted.

2) The story of Bethlehem is an exhaustless theme. In it is hidden "the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God." Romans 11:33. We marvel at the Saviour's sacrifice in exchanging the throne of heaven for the manger, and the companionship of adoring angels for the beasts of the stall. Human pride and self-sufficiency stand rebuked in His presence. Yet this was but the beginning of His wonderful condescension. It would have been an almost infinite humiliation for the Son of God to take man's nature, even when Adam stood in his innocence in Eden. But Jesus accepted humanity when the race had been weakened by four thousand years of sin. Like every child of Adam He accepted the results of the working of the great law of heredity. What these results were is shown in the history of His earthly ancestors. He came with such a heredity to share our sorrows and temptations, and to give us the example of a sinless life. {DA 48.5}

Christ condemned sin in the flesh, and when He has purged our sin, sat down on the right hand of the Father.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165274
05/21/14 07:23 PM
05/21/14 07:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Jesus, like the born-again believers described above, was free of selfishness.

A: The greatest battle is against self, not "resisting the clamorings of sinful flesh." . . . But I have to battle against selfishness. It sounds like my battle is harder.

Ellen White ties self to sinful flesh. "All selfishness is expelled," thus "denying self as did Christ" must necessarily refer to denying sinful flesh self. It is sinful flesh that lusts, desires, craves, clamors for self expression - not the heart, mind, nature of the new man. The heart, mind, nature of the old man is dead. It has ceased. Sinful flesh, however, remains alive and well.

Sinful flesh cannot actually sin or corrupt or contaminate - it can only tempt and annoy. Having sinful flesh is not a sin. Being tempted from within by sinful flesh is not a sin. Anyone who is battling "selfishness" is not abiding in Jesus. Selfishness is tied to the heart, mind, nature of the old man. While abiding in Jesus, the old man is dead.

To encounter or experience selfishness, therefore, people must neglect or reject or Jesus, and the vacuum is instantly, immediately filled by the resurrected heart, mind, nature of the old man. While abiding in the heart, mind, nature of the old man, selfishness reigns supreme. "All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin." {SC 59.4}

Conversely, people who complete the process of conversion in God's appointed way and are abiding in Jesus grow in grace and mature daily in the fruits of the Spirit. While abiding in Jesus all that they think, say, and do is - "pure and holy and undefiled". Ellen White makes it clear - The righteous results of abiding in Jesus are pure, holy, harmless, undefiled, wholly acceptable to God, without spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing.

Re: Jesus denied self just like a born-again believer. [Re: Mountain Man] #165275
05/21/14 07:54 PM
05/21/14 07:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: You seem to think Jesus moistens evil with His blood. You also seem to think He perfumes evil with His merits. I completely disagree.

A: He doesn't just moisten. He doesn't just perfume. You disagree with a position I don't hold. But, He does something very important that completely tears down the idea that the only problem is lack of merit.

If, as you seem to think, the "pure and holy and undefiled" results of abiding in Jesus are transformed into something evil, sinful as they pass through corrupt human channels, it stands to reason, then, you also think Jesus needs to remove, cleanse, restore it to its original loveliness. Just exactly what is it about passing through corrupt human channels that transforms the fruit of abiding in Jesus into something evil, sinful?

Where you and I differ is that I believe the "good tree" still falls short until the day that "this corruptible has put on incorruption." The fruit may be good, but the "baskets" (corrupt channels of humanity) that transport the fruit cause problems. Until you see that distinction, you will ever be confused about the fruits of the Spirit and the corrupt channels that corrupt. You will keep trying to convince people that corruption is OK.

The fact the fruit of abiding in Jesus lacks merit is a huge, huge, huge problem. I have repeatedly said so over and over again (not to be redundant or repetitious).

By the way, Ellen White had lots to say about human channels. Not all of it is bad. Listen:

Quote:
All heaven is waiting for human channels through which to communicate the grace of God. {PUR, June 19, 1902 par. 1}

Each angel is at his post, waiting for the cooperation of human channels to give efficiency and power to the truth in the restoration of fallen man. This was Christ's work; this is our work. {7MR 387.1}

He has placed means in the hands of men, that His divine gifts may flow through human channels in doing the work appointed us in saving our fellow men. {CCh 272.3}

He longs to reveal His salvation to the children of men; and if His chosen people will remove the obstructions, He will pour forth the waters of salvation in abundant streams through human channels. {CT 409.1}

Human nature becomes united with the divine nature, Christ lives in the human soul, and acts through all the powers of body, soul, and spirit. From the converted soul, light shines forth to those who are perishing. Those who have been in sin, and have experienced the love of Christ, know how to sympathize, how to adapt themselves to those who are in sin and sorrow, and can exercise the love of Christ through the channel of human affection. Thus a current of blessedness and joy flows through the human channel that is consecrated to the service of God. What a stream of thanksgiving and joy flows back to God through human channels. What vast numbers might unite in becoming active members of the army of the Lord in place of living a life of selfishness and self-pleasing, that at last proves itself to be not life but the veriest mockery. But when life is enriched with the life of Christ, when its impulses are quickened by the faith that works by love and purifies the soul, then the loftiest purposes are carried out, the noblest work is done, in the name of Christ. Through his own transforming grace, Christ is multiplied in the lives of those who are restored to his image. They co-operate with Christ in offering the divine gift of the whole human family. {RH, November 12, 1895 par. 7}

Working through His Holy Spirit He sanctifies and cleanses the soul temple. Thus, though his whole powers had become deranged, man may be brought back restored to his original relationship to God, and become an agent of good to every other man. In place of the diseased, soul-and-body-destroying principles of evil, he follows heavenly principles. Sanctified by the agency of the Holy Spirit, his influence upon his fellow man becomes aggressive to expel from the earth the evils produced through the satanic perversion of that which God designed should be only good. All these perverted powers the Lord Jesus will turn to His service, and man becomes the human channel to work the will of God to redeem and bring back the people that have broken away from their allegiance to God, and to unite them to their proper Center. {18MR 208.3}

All who consent to be freed from their natural selfishness, and to [be] charged with the Holy Spirit of God, are taking part with God; as the human channel they are pouring forth the currents of a divine influence. Their work has God's blessing within it. They are building upon the foundation, gold, silver, precious stones. {1888 1511.1}

Obviously, not everything she said about human channels is bad. "Human nature becomes united with the divine nature, Christ lives in the human soul, and acts through all the powers of body, soul, and spirit." The idea that the fruit of Jesus acting through human channels is evil, sinful is difficult to swallow.

Page 27 of 73 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 72 73

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!