HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,325 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 23 of 29 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 28 29
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165737
06/07/14 04:06 AM
06/07/14 04:06 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Jesus came to give us a clear understanding of the scriptures and we reject the truth as He has revealed it. Why?

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165742
06/07/14 11:51 AM
06/07/14 11:51 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Christ the Covenant and the Law

Hebrews 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new covenant, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Hebrews 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them,” 17 then He adds,“Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”

Hebrews 8:6 But now [Christ] obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8:8 For finding fault with them, he said, Behold, the days come, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, says the Lord.
8:10 For this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Galatians 3:2 This only would I learn of you, did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are you now made perfect by the flesh?

3:11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, [it is] evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
3:12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that does them shall live in them.
3:13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed [is] every one that hangs on a tree:
3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

3:21 [Is] the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

Galatians 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
4:5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.
4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165743
06/07/14 12:37 PM
06/07/14 12:37 PM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Christ FIRST gives believers His righteousness --
Cleanses our record completely, justifies -- as if we had never sinned.
Now that we are CLEAN, He calls us to walk WITH HIM in faith, with the power of the Holy Spirit, in the path of righteousness.

It is the righteousness of Christ all the way.

That is the difference between every false religion and the true.
All false religions teach that one must first rid oneself of all that is considered unacceptable and then one advances to a high level of existence, but God's way is first God gives His righteousness and then dwells with us, in our hearts changing us from the inside out.
Thus from the moment we accept Christ, and as we continually surrender ourselves to Him, and walk with Him in humble obedience we are saved.
We are not trying to "get saved" but can know that we "are saved".

Quote:
1 Tim. 1:9 Who has saved us, and called [us] with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
3:6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
3:7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
3:8 [This is] a faithful saying, and these things I would like that you affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Consider a measuring cup of righteousness.
Some think they can fill that cup with their own righteousness.
New Christian according to that theory may fill it 20% and Christ must add 80%
But as they mature they should be contributing more and more of the percentage till they contribute 100% and Christ no longer contributes anything.
That is false religion.

Christ fills that cup 100% with HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS.
And we walk in that righteousness to His glory.

This changes the whole focus from "I must clean up my act in order to be acceptable to God"
TO
I am His child, how can I dishonor Him by doing this sin, I want to maintain righteousness which is shown by doing the will of God, I want to be close to Him!

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165745
06/07/14 02:24 PM
06/07/14 02:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: asygo
I have an idea. How about everyone shut down their SOP software and let's just go to the Bible? I saw somehing in Galatians that I had never really noticed before, and I would like to get a better handle on the Scriptures before going into the SOP. I want to use the SOP as a guide to my studies, not as its foundation.

I thought we were doing that already. I thought it was clear to everyone here that the SOP supports, clarifies the Bible testimony. The same Holy Spirit inspired them all - the authors of the Bible and the author of the SOP.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: APL] #165746
06/07/14 02:34 PM
06/07/14 02:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: APL
M: Again, the idea that the fruit of Jesus' supernatural assistance yields imperfect obedience is not supported in the Bible or in the SOP.

A: See COL 331 quote above...

Are you referring to the following quote you posted?

This robe [spotless character], woven in the loom of heaven, has in it not one thread of human devising. Christ in His humanity wrought out a perfect character, and this character He offers to impart to us. "All our righteousness are as filthy rags." Isaiah 64:6. Everything that we of ourselves can do is defiled by sin. But the Son of God "was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin." Sin is defined to be "the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:5, 4. But Christ was obedient to every requirement of the law. He said of Himself, "I delight to do Thy will, O My God; yea, Thy law is within My heart." Psalm 40:8. When on earth, He said to His disciples, "I have kept My Father's commandments." John 15:10. By His perfect obedience He has made it possible for every human being to obey God's commandments. [yet is green really saying we can keep the law by ourselves??? He has said we need to obey before we can get Christ's righteousness. Perhaps green is confused by the terms obey and submit, who knows?] When we submit ourselves to Christ, the heart is united with His heart, the will is merged in His will, the mind becomes one with His mind, the thoughts are brought into captivity to Him; we live His life. This is what it means to be clothed with the garment of His righteousness. Then as the Lord looks upon us He sees, not the fig-leaf garment, not the nakedness and deformity of sin, but His own robe of righteousness, which is perfect obedience to the law of Jehovah. {COL 311.4}

If so, do the insights above contradict what I posted?

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165747
06/07/14 02:39 PM
06/07/14 02:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
We are far to prone to take sentences from EGW's writings and use them as "proof texts" to bolster our own ideas, and thereby totally miss the bigger picture. There is very little real Bible study here.

I hear what you are saying. However, including inspired insights and testimonies here hardly counts against "real Bible study". If Ellen White were alive and posting here I doubt we would feel like "very little real Bible study" is happening. Many of the SOP quotes posted here include Bible texts.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165748
06/07/14 02:53 PM
06/07/14 02:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: dedication
Christ fills that cup 100% with HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS. And we walk in that righteousness to His glory. This changes the whole focus from "I must clean up my act in order to be acceptable to God" TO I am His child, how can I dishonor Him by doing this sin, I want to maintain righteousness which is shown by doing the will of God, I want to be close to Him!

While in abiding in Jesus our righteousness is of the same origin and quality as the righteousness He experienced while here in "the likeness of sinful flesh" - it is the righteous result of "partaking of the divine nature". They "walk, even as he walked." They are pure "even as he is pure." They are righteous "even as he is righteous."

All this is possible for us only after Jesus implants within us a new and holy nature, a new heart, a new mind, which comes complete with new tastes, new motives, new tendencies, new traits of character. He empowers us to use our faculties of mind and body, our sanctified higher powers, to develop, nurture, mature in the fruits of the Spirit "more and more unto the perfect day". The truth is - "the fine linen is the righteousness of saints."

The problem is - some people believe the fruit of abiding in Jesus yields sin-stained, imperfect obedience. Whereas in reality the only thing it lacks is merit - and only Jesus can supply the merit.

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165749
06/07/14 03:01 PM
06/07/14 03:01 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
Arnold, be careful here. If Jesus has power to save to the uttermost, and if His grace is sufficient for all, your theology, given the sentiments expressed in your comment above, would lead you necessarily to the point of saying everyone will have to be saved. It's either that, or you make God show partiality.

Jesus does not have the power to save to the uttermost? YES HE DOES! Hebrews 7:25 Why he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come to God by him, seeing he ever lives to make intercession for them.

By His sacrifice, Christ has given every one of us the freedom to resist and reject what He has given us. And sadly, many do. The lost want their own final end; at the judgment at the end of the thousand years of Revelation 20, they will ask for destruction. Those who are saved at last are simply those who gladly received the gift. That simple.

If God has no "partiality," then what is the difference between "saved" and "lost?"

God is not partial. If He were, then there would be grounds for separation of Jew and Greek, slave and free, male and female, saved and lost.

I say, the difference is us. We make the difference, not God. How do we make the difference? There is a work of faith which we must do. There is an "obedience" which God does not do for us and which we must do for ourselves, or lose Heaven.

Do you define the "work" we do actually "choosing"? All of our righteousness is like filthy menstrual rags. We cannot obey. Only by the righteousness of Christ can be obey.

You are weak in moral power, in slavery to doubt, and controlled by the habits of your life of sin. Your promises and resolutions are like ropes of sand. You cannot control your thoughts, your impulses, your affections. The knowledge of your broken promises and forfeited pledges weakens your confidence in your own sincerity, and causes you to feel that God cannot accept you. What you need to understand is the true force of the will. This is the governing power in the nature of man, the power of decision, or of choice. Everything depends on the right action of the will. You can choose to serve Him. {SC 471.}

The children of Israel failed at Sinai. They said, Exodus 19:8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD has spoken we will do. They promises were ropes of sand. This is old covenant. This is Hagar, bondage (Galatians 4:24-25). This is what the brethern chose after 1888 instead of accepting the truth. The nature of Christ was also clearly proclaimed by Jones and Waggoner to counteract Romanism (Babylon) and its immaculate conception of Mary and thus the unfallen nature of Christ. We need to come out of Babylon!

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: dedication] #165750
06/07/14 03:03 PM
06/07/14 03:03 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Subjection to God is restoration to one's self,--to the true glory and dignity of man. The divine law, to which we are brought into subjection, is "the law of liberty." James 2:12. {DA 466.5}

We are to do all that we can do on our part to fight the good fight of faith. We are to wrestle, to labor, to strive, to agonize to enter in at the strait gate. We are to set the Lord ever before us. With clean hands, with pure hearts, we are to seek to honor God in all our ways. Help has been provided for us in Him who is mighty to save. The spirit of truth and light will quicken and renew us by its mysterious workings; for all our spiritual improvement comes from God, not from ourselves. The true worker will have divine power to aid him, but the idler will not be sustained by the Spirit of God. {FW 48.1}

In one way we are thrown upon our own energies; we are to strive earnestly to be zealous and to repent, to cleanse our hands and purify our hearts from every defilement; we are to reach the highest standard, believing that God will help us in our efforts. We must seek if we would find, and seek in faith; we must knock, that the door may be opened unto us. The Bible teaches that everything regarding our salvation depends upon our own course of action. If we perish, the responsibility will rest wholly upon ourselves. If provision has been made, and if we accept God's terms, we may lay hold on eternal life. We must come to Christ in faith, we must be diligent to make our calling and election sure. {FW 48.2}

Reply Quote
Re: 2nd Quarter 2014 Christ and His Law [Re: APL] #165751
06/07/14 03:12 PM
06/07/14 03:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Do you define the "work" we do actually "choosing"? All of our righteousness is like filthy menstrual rags. We cannot obey. Only by the righteousness of Christ can be obey.

Some people believe - "all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags" - includes the fruit of abiding in Jesus, the fruit of partaking of the divine nature.

Reply Quote
Page 23 of 29 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 28 29
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!