HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,617
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Nadi, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,348 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 34 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 33 34
Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16618
12/11/05 02:22 PM
12/11/05 02:22 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I should add that you may be right that Catholicism resists this reform initially, maybe even throughout the rest of its existence, but as I state above, it would be consistent with its character to endorse the calendar. If it does not, we still have the final beast of Revelation 13, the image beast which I believe is the religion of the New World Order. This final image beast is likely the one under which calendar reform will be made IMO.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16619
12/12/05 01:01 PM
12/12/05 01:01 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mark,

- Would the Lord give such a complicated calendar for His people to follow? A week every 8 years, a second week every 32 years, and I myself lost track of things at the last part (320, 560, 4,480...)

- I didn’t understand why the intercalations have to be made using weeks if four days are arbitrarily intercalated at the end of each year, or one day at the end of each quarter.

- It is clear that the AB calendar is a 364-day calendar and not a 360-day calendar. If it was a 360-day calendar no intercalation would be made yearly, but just periodically. If some days were to be intercalated yearly, the logical intercalation would be of five days (as in the Egyptian calendar), not of four days.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16620
12/12/05 05:42 PM
12/12/05 05:42 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
For someone not familiar with calendars my method may seem complex, but if you compare it to the Gregorian calendar, it is about the same level of complexity (neither one is sophisticated) and the method that I'm suggesting was used anciently is a little more accurate than our modern calendar.

The Qumran scholars agree that the 364 day part of the calendar is intercalated in units of weeks. They know that because the New Year is always a Wednesday. From that fact they know that the smallest intercalation unit that would be possible is a week.

The AB calendar does not say that the solar year is intercalated using a week, but it is strongly implied. For example, both the year of 364 days and the four quarters of 91 days are divisable by seven stongly suggesting that one of the purposes of the solar year/calendar is to preserve the weekly cycle. So the Qumran community is correct in how they have interpreted and applied the AB calendar IMO on this issue.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16621
12/14/05 12:44 AM
12/14/05 12:44 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
I downloaded the Jaurez book Rosangela and have to say, it shows that a lot of effort was expended.

I read the first 20 or so pages so I have an idea of what is being said, but the electronic version of the book has no table of contents or index. Can you post the parts you're referring to that would change the October date to the 23rd. You may think that is my spin, but really, I think that would be the result. My understanding of Oct 22 is that when the sun went down that day, the Millerites were heart broken. It was the morning of the 23rd as they were trying to regain their composure that Hiram Edson and his friend walking through the cornfield was vividly impressed with the thought that Christ had come on Oct 22 to the heavenly sanctuary rather than to the earth.

As more evidence comes to light on the nature of the ancient Hebrew calendar, Adventists need to take a fresh look at their assumptions - the main one being that the Rabbinical or Karaite calendars were in use anciently in Israel.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16622
12/14/05 12:37 PM
12/14/05 12:37 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mark,

Read chapter four (IV), and afterwards we can discuss the details.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16623
12/15/05 12:58 AM
12/15/05 12:58 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Rosangela, Juarez is correct IMO on the issue of the timing of the Day of Atonement in 1844. He says the Millerites observed that the Day of Atonement should be calculated according to Jerusalem time which would mean that it started at about 10AM Boston time on the 22nd and ended 24 hours later on the 23rd. I agree.

Juarez also quotes the account of Hiram Edson. In my last post, I was mistaken that Edson and the Millerites lost hope at sundown. The account says they lost hope at the midnight of the 22nd. Juarez shows that while many of them believed the Day of Atonement was not completely over until 10AM of the 23rd, Boston time, rightly or wrongly, according to the account of Edson, they did not expect Christ to come after midnight of the 22nd.

But Juarez has made several other important statements in that chapter that support what I am saying regarding the use of the AB calendar anciently:

quote:

When we examine the calendar in use at the beginning of the prophetic period, in Ezra’s time, it is found that in the calendar of the Elephantine Jews of that time (which shows a close harmony of dates with the Babylonian calendar ) the new year never began earlier than the vernal equinox. Though these are Elephantine dates, the Jews who settled there must have preserved the calendrical practices brought from Israel. Besides, they were in correspondence with their brethren in Palestine,8 who returned from Babylon in the beginning of the reign of Cyrus, and must have wished to keep their calendar, as far as possible, in harmony with the calendar in Jerusalem; therefore, their calendar can give us a close idea of how the calendar in Jerusalem was like.

After stating the above, Juarez suggests this is evidence that the Karaite method of reckoning is used, but the probability of having no early springs in Palestine anciently is very slim. I would suggest what is being observed here is actually much stronger evidence that the AB calendar or a calendar with similar rules which uses the vernal equinox as the starting point of both the lunar and solar years was in use at the time.

Juarez goes on and notes that the contemporary Samaritans also followed the same practise:
quote:

The Samaritan records also show that their method of determining the New Year was on the new moon subsequent to the equinox and not before it, although it appears that at some point in time they began to hold to a fixed 25 March equinox, which they still observe. Page 88-9

At page 101 Juarez states that until we definitely know the starting date of 457 BC, we have to rely on 31AD as the anchor date. But my reply, Juarez, is that we have the testimony of Genesis, written by Moses that a calendar was in place before the Exodus. The account of the flood makes that clear. The implication from this and other statements such as in Exodus 12:40, it that the Feasts were fit within that divine calendar. It is up to us to piece that calendar together using all Biblical calendrical statements. The evidence continues to mount that the AB calendar is the only one that provides all of the answers and is the only one in complete harmony with all calendrical statements found in scripture.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16624
12/16/05 12:05 AM
12/16/05 12:05 AM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Regarding the first fruits sheaf offering, Rosangela, which the Karaites use to mark the beginning of the new year, it is understandable why the Jews would look to the books of Moses to find a rule. They, the Millerites and Adventists have thought that since this feast is the only one that does not have a set date, that it sets the beginning of the year. But there is a better explanation for the lack of a date, which is that this particular feast does and must be variable depending as it does on the stage of growth of the grain crops. Since the books of Moses indicate that a calendar was already in place, the feasts fit within that calendar. But a feast that is tied to the ripeness of a crop cannot have a fixed date.

In support of that idea is the fact that the type of grain is not specified in Lev. 23. The Karaites say barley, but the text does not specify. God provided here that the Jews were free to introduce new varieties of grain, and the one that ripened first would be the proper one to offer because verses 10 to 17 make two points clear: 1) That as a first fruits waive offering, like all first fruits offerings, the waive sheaf stands as a substitute and in the place of the rest of all the grain crops in Isreal for the year, and 2) as such, no other grain crop may be eaten until the first fruits are offered. So the Mosaic law intends that whichever crop is headed out first, a waive sheaf from that crop is the proper one to offer. After that, the nation is free to begin consuming the grain of the new year of all varieties as the varieties ripen in their turn.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16625
12/16/05 11:41 AM
12/16/05 11:41 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mark,

You are confusing things. The only feast which does not have a fixed calendar date is Pentecost, which begins to be counted from the day when the wave sheaf is presented, and the wave sheaf is presented on the morrow after the Sabbath during Passover Week. This means that Pentecost would always fall on a Sunday, but the calendar date would be variable.

Abib indicates a stage in the development of the barley crops. This is clear from Ex 9: 31, 32 which describes the devastation caused by the plague of hail:

"And the flax and the barley were smitten, because the barley was Abib and the flax was Giv'ol. And the wheat and the spelt were not smitten because they were dark (Afilot)."

Barley is and has always been the first grain to ripen in Palestine.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16626
12/16/05 01:19 PM
12/16/05 01:19 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Penticost, Rosangela, is set by the waiving of the sheaf, agreed? It comes 50 days afterwards. But regarding the timing of the sheaf of first fruits, the text says the sheaf was waved ‘the morrow after the Sabbath’. That is all it says. Modern Jews, if I remember correctly, think this means the sheaf is waived the day after the Passover which is a Sabbath according to them (and I think they are correct that Passover is a Sabbath because it is a day of rest), but the text only states that the sheaf should be waived after a Sabbath, and the reason for this is very practical - it may not be ripe until a week or two or more after the Passover. So the text only requires the waiving to take place after the Passover or after a subsequent Sabbath. Isn’t that a more reasonable explanation than taking the provision to be the marker of the New Year? Whose position agrees better with the account of Creation that the sun and moon should mark the seasons, not the crops?

But regarding the plague, you are reading more into the text than is there, and one of the tests is whether your position is reasonable. If the Lord knew that barley would always be the first grain to ripen, I think He would have been specific. God is always specific when He wants to be. Since He does not specify, it is a mistake to be more specific than Him. That is the downfall of the Rabbinical Jews – being more specific than God is and reading more into the text than is there and in this way displacing scripture with human reasoning. No, God wanted the Hebrews to be free to introduce other crops. He placed no restrictions of which grains the He had created they could eat. If your position is followed, and the Isrealites found an earlier ripening grain that they liked, they would not have been able to cultivate it.

Re: Is there a Biblical/Divine calendar? #16627
12/17/05 12:00 AM
12/17/05 12:00 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Mark,

The subject is very simple. There are several grains cultivated in Palestine but the first grain to ripen after the winter is barley.

The story of the Exodus relates that the Israelites left Egypt "in the month of the Abib" (Ex 13: 4). And God told them that that month should be the first month of the year for them (Ex. 12:2). We know that the grain that was Abib at that month was barley (Ex. 9: 31, 32). So Abib is the month when barley ripens. Any biblical dictionary or commentary will tell you that.

Christ “was the antitype of the wave sheaf, and His resurrection took place on the very day when the wave sheaf was to be presented before the Lord” {DA 785}. After His resurrection Christ remained 40 days on earth (Acts 1:3), and “after the ascension of Christ, the Holy Spirit did not immediately descend. There were ten days after His ascension before the Holy Spirit was given.” {TDG 10.2}. Everything perfectly synchronized – exactly 50 days until the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. Christ’s resurrection occurred on Sunday – the day of the wave sheaf. Did it occur on Sunday because this day was after the weekly Sabbath (as the Karaites say) or because it was after the festival Sabbath (as the Rabbanites say)? It must be for the first reason, because the year 31 A.D. does not admit a Nisan 14 as the day for Christ’s death.

Page 8 of 34 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 33 34

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!