HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 92 of 102 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 101 102
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Mountain Man] #166288
06/27/14 09:02 PM
06/27/14 09:02 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Actually, I don't believe anything or anyone killed Jesus on the cross. I believe He tasted, consumed, and conquered our sin and second death. Afterward, He laid down His own life and took it up again on the third day.

I would appreciate you responding to the point I made above regarding sin, death, and the tree of life.

We have done this before. Has anything changed? Do you not recall this quote? The sacrificial offerings were ordained by God to be to man a perpetual reminder and a penitential acknowledgment of his sin and a confession of his faith in the promised Redeemer. They were intended to impress upon the fallen race the solemn truth that it was sin that caused death. {PP 68.1}

NOTE - "the solemn truth that is was sin that caused death".

What about the tree of life? Would it have caused life to continue? Yes! But what kind of life would it have been? A life of sickness and disease and misery.

EGW: The news of man's fall spread through heaven. Every harp was hushed. The angels cast their crowns from their heads in sorrow. All heaven was in agitation. A council was held to decide what must be done with the guilty pair. The angels feared that they would put forth the hand, and eat of the tree of life, and become immortal sinners. But God said that He would drive the transgressors from the garden. Angels were immediately commissioned to guard the way of the tree of life. It had been Satan's studied plan that Adam and Eve should disobey God, receive His frown, and then partake of the tree of life, that they might live forever in sin and disobedience, and thus sin be immortalized. {EW 148.2}

NOTE - if Adam and Eve had been able to eat from the tree of life, sin would have been "immortalized". No plan of salvation? That is what I read. Thus it was a blessing of God in blocked the way to the tree of life.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #166296
06/27/14 10:54 PM
06/27/14 10:54 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
What about the tree of life? Would it have caused life to continue? Yes! But what kind of life would it have been? A life of sickness and disease and misery.

So, sin causes death because God chooses not to continue to sustain the life of the sinner. The sinner loses the right to life.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: kland] #166299
06/27/14 11:11 PM
06/27/14 11:11 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Green, why did the KJV not capitalize "him" in Matthew 10:28?

Originally Posted By: APL
Oh I know which text you posted. I know which version you posted. But what you did was take the modern version's interpretation of the verse. The KJV did not capitalize the word because it did not imply that it was God, but you do!

kland and APL,

Both of you appear to know full well that you are misrepresenting the truth. What I am about to say should not need to be said, for you already know it. However, for the sake of others who may read here, it must be said, that they may know the truth.

The KJV never capitalizes pronouns for God, Jesus, etc....ever. It was not customary at the time the KJV was published to do this. The only times when the "he," "him," or "his" for God is capitalized in the KJV are the times when the grammar requires such, i.e. when the word is at the beginning of a sentence.

For you both to pretend that this is not the case is a sore misrepresentation of the truth, and I think you know full well what you are doing. You find your own opinion crossed by the lack of such a capitalization convention in the KJV, because you cannot then "prove" what you want to prove. So you pretend that the KJV should have capitalized the "him" in the text I quoted if it referred to God.

If you continue to pretend ignorance of this, you are caught in a contradiction which will prove your lack of scholarship.

Yes, Jesus said: Revelation 1:18 I am he that lives, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for ever more, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. You assume that the keys are using to throw people into hell. The keys are used to release us from death, the truth will set you free. Luke 11:52 Woe to you, lawyers! for you have taken away the key of knowledge: you entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in you hindered.

To which I will also respond, Jesus may bring back people from the dead, but no one will come back from hell. You quoted from a different version than I did...not sure why. But your version still did not capitalize the "he" that refers to Jesus.

The KJV did not capitalize the word because it did not imply that it was God, but you do!

Originally Posted By: The Holy Bible, KJV
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

APL, do you agree that the "he," "his," and "him" in the above text all apply to God? Or do you believe that since they are not capitalized, those must refer to Satan?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #166303
06/28/14 12:13 AM
06/28/14 12:13 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Green - - AGAIN - the word is not capitalized in Matthew 10:28 and so it is up to us to interpret who it is the verse it talking about. Many modern versions do not give you that option! And that it the point. You continue to ignore the EGW quote I provided. Why? The answer is simple, it points to the one that we need to fear, and it is not God. Of course, just reading after Matthew 10:28 demonstrates that it is not God that we are to fear!!! Who it is we need to fear? OURSELVES. We are the ones that decide our destiny and can destroy our souls, not men, not Satan, not God.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Green Cochoa] #166304
06/28/14 12:28 AM
06/28/14 12:28 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

APL, do you agree that the "he," "his," and "him" in the above text all apply to God? Or do you believe that since they are not capitalized, those must refer to Satan?

APL, please answer the question posted to you above. Thank you.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: APL] #166306
06/28/14 12:34 AM
06/28/14 12:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
What about the tree of life? Would it have caused life to continue? Yes!

NOTE - if Adam and Eve had been able to eat from the tree of life, sin would have been "immortalized".

I'm glad you agree.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Daryl] #166316
06/28/14 01:46 AM
06/28/14 01:46 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he [he - God] gave his [his - God] only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him [him - only begotten Son] should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Now, read Matthew 10:28

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them [them - See Matthew 10:17-21] which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him [him - who? - open to interpretation - green chooses God as the modern translations] which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Note what EGW says: All should be intelligent in regard to the agency by which the soul is destroyed. It is not because of any decree that God has sent out against man. He does not make man spiritually blind. God gives sufficient light and evidence to enable man to distinguish truth from error. But He does not force man to receive truth. He leaves him free to choose the good or the choose the evil. [who chooses the good or choose the evil - WE DO - NOT GOD] If man resists evidence that is sufficient to guide his judgment in the right direction, and chooses evil once, he will do this more readily the second time. The third time he will still more eagerly withdraw himself from God and choose to stand on the side of Satan. And in this course he will continue until he is confirmed in evil, and believes the lie he has cherished as truth. His resistance has produced its harvest. By his example he leads others to follow the same course of resistance against God. {2SAT 183.4}

So MM - do not fall for the false belief that God is the on that destroys the body and soul in hell. We all need to intelligently understand how this happens. And it is OUR CHOICE to go with evil or with good and WE destroy ourselves. Do you agree or not? Will YOU answer this question?

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: APL] #166317
06/28/14 01:51 AM
06/28/14 01:51 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Again...

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
...And no man can be true to principle without exciting opposition. A Christianity that is spiritual will be opposed by the children of disobedience. But Jesus bade His disciples, "Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul." Those who are true to God need not fear the power of men nor the enmity of Satan. In Christ their eternal life is secure. Their only fear should be lest they surrender the truth, and thus betray the trust with which God has honored them. {DA 356.1}

She told us we need not fear either Satan or men.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: Green Cochoa] #166321
06/28/14 02:18 AM
06/28/14 02:18 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
Again...

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
...And no man can be true to principle without exciting opposition. A Christianity that is spiritual will be opposed by the children of disobedience. But Jesus bade His disciples, "Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul." Those who are true to God need not fear the power of men nor the enmity of Satan. In Christ their eternal life is secure. Their only fear should be lest they surrender the truth, and thus betray the trust with which God has honored them. {DA 356.1}

She told us we need not fear either Satan or men.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
HELLO GREEN - That is what I have been saying. But you left out two more parties - GOD and YOUSELF. And She is clear we have nothing to fear from God. Who does that leave? Put all of EGW's quotes together, such as the one I provided.

Re: Does God Punish? (Part 3) [Re: APL] #166346
06/28/14 03:24 PM
06/28/14 03:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
So MM - do not fall for the false belief that God is the on that destroys the body and soul in hell. We all need to intelligently understand how this happens. And it is OUR CHOICE to go with evil or with good and WE destroy ourselves. Do you agree or not? Will YOU answer this question?

Yes, I will answer your question. I'm sorry if I have failed to answer your questions in the past. I believe we determine our own outcome in judgment by the way we choose to live. If we choose to cooperate with heavenly agencies and develop perfect traits of character our eternal destiny is eternal life in the New Earth. If we refuse to cooperate and develop perfect traits of character our eternal destiny is everlasting punishment. People should be afraid of hellfire and brimstone but it seems as most are not. Perhaps they don't believe it is real. I don't know.

Quote:
Oh, let us contemplate the amazing sacrifice that has been made for us! Let us try to appreciate the labor and energy that Heaven is expending to reclaim the lost, and bring them back to the Father's house. Motives stronger, and agencies more powerful, could never be brought into operation; the exceeding rewards for right-doing, the enjoyment of heaven, the society of the angels, the communion and love of God and His Son, the elevation and extension of all our powers throughout eternal ages--are these not mighty incentives and encouragements to urge us to give the heart's loving service to our Creator and Redeemer? {SC 21.3}

And, on the other hand, the judgments of God pronounced against sin, the inevitable retribution, the degradation of our character, and the final destruction, are presented in God's word to warn us against the service of Satan. {SC 21.4}

I am definitely afraid of being punished in hellfire and brimstone. I take the warning seriously. But my primary motivation for loving and serving Jesus is not to avoid hellfire and brimstone - it is because it is so rewarding and satisfying. The curse, the warning, the threat is real. People should be afraid.

Quote:
The warning from heaven is: "If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, the same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of His indignation." Revelation 14:9, 10. But not one is made to suffer the wrath of God until the truth has been brought home to his mind and conscience, and has been rejected. {GC 605}

With such a curse hanging over the transgressors of God's holy Sabbath, should we not show greater earnestness, greater zeal? {RH, January 8, 1889 par. 8}

Shall not we who read these threatenings, and who believe the word of God, give the warning to a world lying in darkness? {RH, July 7, 1891 par. 11}

Can Satan destroy both body and soul in hell?

Quote:
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul; but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Christ has purchased the entire being, mind, soul, and body. The price of man's redemption has been paid, and all he has and is should be sprinkled with the blood of Christ, dedicated to God; for it belongs to Him. Our motto should be, "I am not my own; for I have been bought with a price." {ST, August 1, 1900 par. 5}

Ellen White capitalized the word "Him". She believed the "him" refers to God. I trust her insight. Our mind, soul, and body belong to Him. It is Jesus who will cast body and soul "alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone." The idea that it is Satan who will destroy both body and soul in hell seems unlikely. Our soul is preserved with God. "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it." He will restore it to us in the resurrection.

Quote:
Our personal identity is preserved in the resurrection, though not the same particles of matter or material substance as went into the grave. The wondrous works of God are a mystery to man. The spirit, the character of man, is returned to God, there to be preserved. In the resurrection every man will have his own character. God in His own time will call forth the dead, giving again the breath of life, and bidding the dry bones live. The same form will come forth, but it will be free from disease and every defect. It lives again bearing the same individuality of features, so that friend will recognize friend. There is no law of God in nature which shows that God gives back the same identical particles of matter which composed the body before death. God shall give the righteous dead a body that will please Him. {Hvn 40.1}

Satan does not have access to the soul or spirit or character. It is preserved with God in heaven. He cannot destroy that which he cannot access.

Page 92 of 102 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 101 102

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!