HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,113 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Diabetes [Re: Rick H] #149949
02/22/13 11:47 PM
02/22/13 11:47 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Rick H
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
APL,

You seem to have missed the point. Your assumption that not all calories are equal is well understood. But it is naive to think that someone will consume the same number of calories of broccoli as of beef. One would have to have a rather large stomach to accomplish such a feat.

The point that you missed was one word: exercise.

Diabetics typically don't get enough of it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
So true, no matter how many times I get up from my desk at work and fast walk through the building or run in place, I cant burn the same as when I am on the farm digging a post hole or carrying bales of hay. So no matter how many times the doctors give their mantra, 'diet and exercize', its not a cure all for everyones lifestyle, and of course if you inheret it, nothing will take it away.

Rick,

If diabetes could be blamed solely on inheritance, what accounts for the facts shown in the maps I just posted above?

I am of the opinion that Type II diabetes is preventable. It is a lifestyle disease. People in Minnesota eat huge amounts of meat and dairy products, especially cheese. They are overweight just as much as in many other parts of the country. But that added "blubber" helps to keep them warm in the winter, and they are active farmers. For some reason, their level of exercise helps to prevent diabetes or heart disease, in spite of their obesity.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Diabetes [Re: Green Cochoa] #149955
02/23/13 01:05 AM
02/23/13 01:05 AM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Want to reduce your Type II diabetes risk? Get some sunshine and up your vitamin D intake

by PF Louis

(NaturalNews) It's amazing how many different meta-analysis papers and epidemiological studies keep popping up associating vitamin D3 with lower disease occurrences for heart disease, breast cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and Type II or onset adult diabetes.

An earlier Japanese meta-analysis "...found a correlation between calcium levels, low vitamin D status and insulin resistance (IR). (...) Findings suggest that low vitamin D and low calcium status may be associated with IR." (http://www.vitasearch.com/get-clp-summary/40508)

Denmark really got into vitamin D research also. The Danes recently published one for rheumatoid arthritis (RA), associating low vitamin D levels with RA. Now, another Danish epidemiological study was submitted on vitamin D's health merits.

The focus of this study was to determine an association of low vitamin D3 to Type II diabetes, a theme similar to the Japanese study.

The Danish vitamin D3 Type II diabetes epidemiological study

A vitamin D3 population study is done with the most standard blood level test, the 25(OH)D3 or serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D blood test. The only problem with the Danes in this diabetes/D3 study might be the problem they had with their epidemiological rheumatoid arthritis/D3 study.

It seems that Denmark's normal level is too low. This makes the study results more ominous. Subjects with Danish established normal D3 levels are already low. This translates to a bunch of pre-diabetic individuals slipping through with what they consider normal D3 levels.

In other words, the impact of D3 deficiency should be even higher than their results. It appears, after converting different measuring systems, the Danes consider 20 ng/ml (nanograms per milliliter) normal.

Even mainstream medicine in the U.S. has begun to consider 30 ng/ml more desirable than their previous 20ng/ml standard of normal. Holistic practitioners and researchers think your 25(OH)D3 serum level should be 50 ng/ml to be optimally healthy and disease free.

The Danish study included 9,841 participants from the general Copenhagen population, of whom 810 had developed Type II diabetes during 29 years of follow-up. Despite their shortcoming on what is a normal D3 blood level, the Danes came up with the conclusion that there is "...an association of low plasma 25(OH)D with increased risk of Type II diabetes. This finding was substantiated in a meta-analysis."

But a higher normal may have revealed an even higher risk factor with the probability of noticing more IR (insulin resistant) cases of prediabetic or metabolic syndrome among several who hadn't fully developed Type II diabetes.

Ensuring your vitamin D3 levels are high

Keeping your 25(OH)D3 count at or around 50 ng/ml requires a good deal of bare skin to sunshine exposure. It's the UVB rays that interact with your skin's cholesterol to initiate a conversion process that creates the pre-hormone called vitamin D3 to promote other hormonal activity throughout the body.

If sunshine exposure is limited and you can't sunbathe for 20 minutes daily four times a week, a UVB tanning bed is an option. Both of those procedures allow your body to shut down vitamin D3 conversion when it senses there's enough.

Many experts suggest that you not bathe the exposed skin areas with soap too soon after sun bathing. It's possible that your skin's oils may be washed off before completing the initial conversion phase of UVB ray to vitamin D3.

The last option is supplementing. In lieu of sunshine, 4,000 to 10,000 IU (international units) is a common intake of cholicalciferol vitamin D3 supplements.

Although it's rare, it's possible to overdose using vitamin D3 supplements with high daily dosing over time. Finding a local or online lab to measure your levels is wise if you don't have the wherewithal to deal with a holistic practitioner.

Sources for this article include:

"Low 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: A Prospective Cohort Study and Meta-analysis," (The Danish study summary)

http://www.vitasearch.com/get-clp-summary/40570

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23232064

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23318705

Suzanne

Re: Diabetes [Re: Suzanne] #149958
02/23/13 01:19 AM
02/23/13 01:19 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
While that is an interesting post, Suzanne, it is also interesting that the distribution of diabetes in the United States seems to fly in the face of those facts:--that is, the areas with the greatest levels of sunshine are the areas with the higher incidence of diabetes.

(See my earlier post with US maps showing the diabetes incidence by county in the US.)

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Last edited by Green Cochoa; 02/23/13 01:22 AM. Reason: Added link to post

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Diabetes [Re: Green Cochoa] #149963
02/23/13 03:00 AM
02/23/13 03:00 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Green - I have seen these maps and have used them in lectures. If you think the diet of Americans is the same everywhere, then you do not understand Southern cooking!! reading If exercise is the key as you claim, then you need to explain why we can turn off type 2 diabetes with dietary changes in 30 to 60 days with no change in exercise. There is no question that exercise helps. But exercise does not trump diet.

Diet trumps exercise in diabetes. Diet trumps exercise in Cancer and heart disease, and yes, obesity!! One only needs to understand the calorie density of foods and the calorie expenditure of exercise to see the futility of exercise alone in combating our health problems. Combine the two, diet and exercise, and it is golden!! But if you had to pick only one to start with, pick diet. And for some, this is their only choice! But then Green, you know why that is, I don't need to tell you. Right?

APL,

You haven't seen the charts that I've seen. Look at America and then superimpose over its map a map of where the highest incidence of diabetes is. You will learn a lot.

Americans in general have the same diet everywhere. It's not as though vegans are concentrated in one area and carnivores in another. (I imagine you would agree with this.) What then can account for the relative lack of diabetes in mountainous states like Colorado versus the much higher incidence in urban areas? Of course, only vegans live in Colorado, and in Minnesota they're all vegetarians, right?

Well, if that's not the case, then what accounts for the incidence we see in the maps? Different diet? or different lifestyle? (See map below for details.)

Oh, and waist size is directly correlated as well. Look how those who are more physically fit compare with the above map.

Exercise. It does a body good.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Diabetes [Re: APL] #150248
03/02/13 02:36 AM
03/02/13 02:36 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Very interesting information.

Thank you all.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Diabetes [Re: Green Cochoa] #150265
03/02/13 10:54 AM
03/02/13 10:54 AM
Rick H  Offline
OP
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: Rick H
APL,

You seem to have missed the point. Your assumption that not all calories are equal is well understood. But it is naive to think that someone will consume the same number of calories of broccoli as of beef. One would have to have a rather large stomach to accomplish such a feat.

The point that you missed was one word: exercise.

Diabetics typically don't get enough of it.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
So true, no matter how many times I get up from my desk at work and fast walk through the building or run in place, I cant burn the same as when I am on the farm digging a post hole or carrying bales of hay. So no matter how many times the doctors give their mantra, 'diet and exercize', its not a cure all for everyones lifestyle, and of course if you inheret it, nothing will take it away.

Rick,

If diabetes could be blamed solely on inheritance, what accounts for the facts shown in the maps I just posted above?

I am of the opinion that Type II diabetes is preventable. It is a lifestyle disease. People in Minnesota eat huge amounts of meat and dairy products, especially cheese. They are overweight just as much as in many other parts of the country. But that added "blubber" helps to keep them warm in the winter, and they are active farmers. For some reason, their level of exercise helps to prevent diabetes or heart disease, in spite of their obesity.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.
You have genetic tendencies or predisposition, and you have environement. I never turned away a french fry when offered, and of course having high stress/long hours into the night tech jobs had an effect. So with my lifestyle I didnt help keep away the diabetes which runs on both sides of my family. My brother on the other hand was not one with a healthy appitite, ate only because he had to and kept slim, and very laid back with less stressful enviroment. So far he has no signs of diabetes, my sister however was in between. She ate moderately and watched her calories and was a teacher so a bit stressful but not like me, but slowly diabetes is starting to show along with the accompaning issues.

So you can keep it at bay or bring it quicker depending on environment/lifestyle, and there are things you can do such as walking which anyone can do to change the equation.

Here is a good site to check....

http://newsroom.heart.org/news/walking-may-lessen-the-influence-230079

and this one talks on a study on this...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/15/walking-obesity-genetic_n_1345224.html

Re: Diabetes [Re: Rick H] #150269
03/02/13 01:08 PM
03/02/13 01:08 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
Originally Posted By: green
Opinion - no, Type II diabetes IS a lifestyle disease. Genetics and epigenetics may give the propensity for the disease, but lifestyle pulls the trigger. Exercise is important, but diet trumps exercise. The problem with your generalizations of Minnesota, is that most Minnesotans are not farmers. They are urban dwellers. If you look at the diet of those Northerners and compare it with the South which has a much higher incidence of DM-II and obesity, for the majority it is the diet. They ARE different.

Rick has put his finger on the problem. It is not the exercise. He never refuses a french fry. It's not the potato! It is how it is prepared. You can eat potatoes all day long and not get fat.

"The warfare against self is the greatest battle that was ever fought. The yielding of self, surrendering all to the will of God, requires a struggle; but the soul must submit to God before it can be renewed in holiness." {SC 43.3}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Diabetes [Re: APL] #150405
03/05/13 10:28 PM
03/05/13 10:28 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA

Re: Diabetes [Re: APL] #156523
09/24/13 01:11 AM
09/24/13 01:11 AM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Whole fruit consumption is shown to lower risk of developing diabetes by nearly 25 percent

by John Phillip

(NaturalNews) The startling statistics show that close to 30 million men, women and children currently suffer the devastating effects of a diabetes diagnosis, as the disease affects nearly ten percent of the US population. Even more sobering, health professionals say the number of pre-diabetic and undiagnosed cases could bring this total figure closer to one in five Americans. Truly a silent killer, many unsuspecting people will suffer the life-threatening effects of diabetic complications including neuropathy, kidney failure, blindness and a dramatically increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease and sudden death from a heart attack.

A research study team from the Harvard School of Public Health has published the result of their work in the British Medical Journal that demonstrates how eating more whole fruits, particularly blueberries, grapes and apples, was significantly associated with a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. The results stand in stark contrast to the popular belief that drinking fruit juices is healthy, as the study determined that these sugar-laden drinks increase risk of diabetes. This is the first study to examine consumption of individual whole fruits and disease risk.

Whole fruit sugars are bound to fiber to prevent glucose surges leading to diabetes risk

The study analyzed 187,382 men and women participants who were free of diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer at the outset of the study. The researchers used dietary questionnaires every four years to determine overall fruit and fruit juice consumption and frequency. Specifically, the team focused on consumption of ten fruits to garner their results and included grapes or raisins; peaches, plums, or apricots; prunes; bananas; cantaloupe; apples or pears; oranges; grapefruit; strawberries; and blueberries. They also looked at consumption of apple, orange, grapefruit and other fruit juices.

Lead study author Dr. Qi Sun noted, "While fruits are recommended as a measure for diabetes prevention, previous studies have found mixed results for total fruit consumption. Our findings provide novel evidence suggesting that certain fruits may be especially beneficial for lowering diabetes risk." The scientists determined that people who ate at least two servings each week of certain whole fruits, particularly blueberries, grapes and apples, reduced their risk for type 2 diabetes by as much as 23 percent in comparison to those who ate less than one serving per month.

The study also determined that consuming one or more servings of fruit juice each day increased the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by as much as 21 percent. Additionally, researchers found that swapping three servings of juice per week for whole fruits resulted in a 7 percent reduction in diabetes risk. The authors of this study concluded, "Our data further endorse current recommendations on increasing whole fruits, but not fruit juice, as a measure for diabetes prevention... and our novel findings may help refine this recommendation to facilitate diabetes prevention."

Health-minded individuals concerned about excess sugar from eating fruits can now safely add three to five servings of whole fruits weekly to lower the risk of developing diabetes and benefit from a healthy dose of natural antioxidants to further prevent chronic disease.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com

http://www.sciencedaily.com

Suzanne

Re: Diabetes [Re: Suzanne] #166692
07/07/14 10:44 PM
07/07/14 10:44 PM
S
Suzanne  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2016

Dedicated Member
Calif. USA
Genetic Risk For Diabetes Is Insignificant Compared To Preventive Lifestyle Factors

by David Gutierrez, staff writer

(NaturalNews) The effect of lifestyle habits on type 2 diabetes risk is so large that it renders genetic susceptibility insignificant, according to a study led by researchers from the University of Cambridge and published in the journal PLOS Medicine.

The study was funded primarily by the European Commission.

The findings imply that generalized lifestyle interventions are still the most effective way to prevent diabetes, regardless of an individual's genetic profile.

"One of the most effective ways to reduce the impact of type 2 diabetes is to stop people developing the condition in the first place," researcher David Lomas said, "and this large international study reinforces the idea that broad promotion of a healthy diet and lifestyle is the way to go."

Genetic tests not supported
Type 2 diabetes, which occurs when the body loses its sensitivity to the blood-sugar-lowering hormone insulin, now affects more than 380 million people globally. As with many chronic diseases, researchers believe that it originates from an interaction between underlying genetic risk and various lifestyle factors, including diet and exercise.

In recent years, scientists have identified numerous gene variants associated with risk for the disease, and screening for such variants has become popular. One New Delhi, India-based screening company reports that it gets approximately 3,000 customers a month from 150 separate locations across India.

But the new study casts doubt on the usefulness of such tests.

"There is no good evidence that the knowledge of these variants currently helps predict risk (of diabetes) nor in informing what action people should take," lead researcher Nicholas Wareham said. "The currently known genetic variants don't help personalise prevention."

In contrast, generalized lifestyle interventions have been proven to reduce the chances of high-risk individuals developing the disease by 50 percent.

"I think such tests at this point in time are a waste of money," said Anoop Misra, chairman of the Fortis Centre for Diabetes Obesity and Cholesterol in New Delhi. "Diabetes can be simply predicted by presence of obesity, family history, and age."

Obesity is greatest predictor
In the new study, the researchers used data from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study to calculate a diabetes genetic risk score for 12,403 middle-aged type 2 diabetes patients and 16,154 people without the disease. These scores were based on the presence or absence of 49 separate gene variants that have been linked to the disease. The researchers then compared the effect of genetic risk with that of lifestyle-related risk (such as poor diet or exercise habits).

The researchers found that, among people of normal weight, only 0.25 percent of those with the lowest genetic risk and 0.89 percent of those with the highest genetic risk went on to develop type 2 diabetes. In contrast, 4.22 percent of obese people with the lowest genetic risk developed the disease, and 7.99 percent of obese people with the highest genetic risk.

This shows that obesity far outweighs genetics as a predictor of diabetes risk. It also suggests that there is no need to specifically target some people for diabetes prevention based on their individual genetic profiles -- interventions should be generalized, or simply targeted at people with unhealthy lifestyles.

"We need effective strategies in place if we are going to stem the rapid rise in the number of cases of type 2 diabetes and the burden this places on our health systems," Wareham said. "Our research suggests that focusing on tackling the lifestyle factors that lead to obesity at a population level will have a much greater impact than tailoring prevention strategies according to an individual's genetic risk."

"The public health message is that everyone should minimise the risk of diabetes through physical activity and a healthy diet," he said.

http://www.cam.ac.uk

http://www.telegraphindia.com

http://science.naturalnews.com

Suzanne

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!