HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,614
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 18
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196414
09/02/23 11:10 AM
09/02/23 11:10 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by dedication
Yes and No question are always hard to answer because one can't qualify their answer.

What if we don't agree with the ordination set up as it stands today?
What does it mean to be "ordained"?

In the church today, it seems ordination is a status of authority, not of spiritual leadership and work.

Therefore, the text "a woman should not usurp authority over a man" is interpreted as "a woman should not be ordained."

But we ignore that it is not good for a man to mentor and be a private counselor to a woman. The very fact that a man, with concern in his eyes, and sympathy in his voice is comforting a woman (albeit with Bible verses) is a snare, especially if her husband is a bit of a non communicating type.
A church here is still reeling from a male pastor who specialized in empowering young people, and took intimate interest in young girls.
Then there are a lot of women who don't want to "open up their thoughts" to a man, is also a problem.

There is a real need for God-fearing women in trained, spiritual leadership roles. Female shepherds for the women in the church.

Male leaders for the men, and boys. This is important! Young people- especially young males, need a strong spiritual male influence.

While women are not to take over, as in taking away from the men, the leadership roles,
women should be co-leaders. With the same respect and authority of a male leader.

For example -- I'm uncomfortable with the woman head pastor in college church. There is just something missing. However, having associate women pastors, in college churches is great!

What you're advocating is a logical fallacy. Women can go to other women for spiritual advice whether the other woman is ordained or not. I know of pastors who I would never approach for any kind of advice as I do not trust them. The same goes for some elders in the church.

I have more respect for some women's spiritual acumen than I have for a lot of men's but that doesn't override the plain reading of scripture.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196422
09/03/23 05:04 AM
09/03/23 05:04 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
What is ordination?
It's only "logical fallacy" because ordination has been made the sign of authority.
Where does the bible say ordination is the sign of authority?

Why is it no longer a sign of being called for a spiritual service for the Lord.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196423
09/03/23 08:56 AM
09/03/23 08:56 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
What is ordination?
It's only "logical fallacy" because ordination has been made the sign of authority.

Why is it no longer a sign of being called for a spiritual service for the Lord.

I see. I disagree that ordination of women has been made a sign of authority by mankind.

1Ti 3:1? This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.?
1Ti 3:2? A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;?
1Ti 3:3? Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;?
1Ti 3:4? One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;?
1Ti 3:5? (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)?
1Ti 3:6? Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.?
1Ti 3:7? Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.?

The word bishop comes from a Greek word meaning an overseer of a church or a group of churches. In other words a pastor.

I'll stick with scripture. You can do as you please.

Last edited by Garywk; 09/03/23 08:57 AM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Rick H] #196426
09/03/23 10:38 AM
09/03/23 10:38 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Rick H
Originally Posted by kland
I think some of the questions are skewed nor do they allow for an unsure, a qualification, or not a qualification.

For example:
QUESTION 4: Do you believe if women’s ordination is approved it will make it easier for same-sex marriage advocates to agitate for acceptance within the church?

Acceptance? One could view sinners are accepted into the church. But what does acceptance mean? Does the question mean, celebrated, promoted, considered that nothing is wrong and sinful about it? "Acceptance" seems misleading and part of the homosexual propaganda for deriding.

Same-sex? Seems more like a political correct thing to say. Homosexual marriage would be more to the point. But what really is implied with same-sex is the feigned "equality" issue, and allowing future interpretation of bi, trans, multi, etc.

So yes, I believe women's ordination has to do with homosexuals infiltrating the church. For if one says that men should only be elders really means according to the culture of the day then it would follow that any prohibition against homosexuals really means according to that culture and today's culture is different.

How do you see the votes that have been cast?
By casting your own vote first.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Garywk] #196430
09/03/23 03:19 PM
09/03/23 03:19 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted by Garywk
What is ordination?

I see. I disagree that ordination of women has been made a sign of authority by mankind.

quotes1Ti 3:1-7?

The word bishop comes from a Greek word meaning an overseer of a church or a group of churches. In other words a pastor.

First I didn't say women's ordination has been made a sign of authority.
I said ordination [itself] has been made a sign of authority, no longer a sign of setting apart and blessing people to do spiritual work for the Lord.

I think I explained that the "OVERSEER" being a man is the better plan.
But the "overseer" was not really the same as a pastor or "shepherd".
In the early church each region had a "bishop". Whenever the church councils met, these bishops would meet and discuss the matters of the church as a whole. Their job was to mentor and guide the leaders (men and women) in the churches under their care.

The text you quote does not say only bishops can be ordained (set aside and blessed to preform a spiritual work or ministry) It's not speaking of ordination at all.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196431
09/03/23 03:59 PM
09/03/23 03:59 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
: Do you believe if women’s ordination is approved it will make it easier for same-sex marriage advocates to agitate for acceptance within the church?

The way things are now set up, I'm afraid the answer is yes.

Since ordination has been turned into a sign of authority and is no longer a sign that church is setting apart and blessing men and women for various different spiritual leadership positions, many women see this as a belittling of their roles in church leadership and thus have started to fight for equal treatment.
It is now no longer so much a desire to obtain the blessing of the church, but a fight for equality.

It's the nature of things when there is a fight for equality, the focus will always find some more "fights" to wage under the banner of equality, it doesn't stop.
I think we have accepted the Catholic definition for "ordination" and now find ourselves in a fight for "equal right" .
The Catholic definition sets the "ordained" up on a pedestal in a different class from the regular members.

If the church had given the same honor and blessings to other spiritual leaders who dedicated their lives to a specific mission and ordained in the Biblical sense, and not made the "ordained minister" the only one blessed and "set apart" and honored. We may have avoided this "equality" fight, and given other roles the blessings they deserved.

The answer, in my opinion is not to make women presidents and top leaders in the church but to re-evaluate the meaning of ordination.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196432
09/03/23 04:45 PM
09/03/23 04:45 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by Garywk
What is ordination?

quotes1Ti 3:1-7?

First I didn't say women's ordination has been made a sign of authority.
I said ordination [itself] has been made a sign of authority, no longer a sign of setting apart and blessing people to do spiritual work for the Lord.

I think I explained that the "OVERSEER" being a man is the better plan.
But the "overseer" was not really the same as a pastor or "shepherd".
In the early church each region had a "bishop". Whenever the church councils met, these bishops would meet and discuss the matters of the church as a whole. Their job was to mentor and guide the leaders (men and women) in the churches under their care.

The text you quote does not say only bishops can be ordained (set aside and blessed to preform a spiritual work or ministry) It's not speaking of ordination at all.

Didn't you just say this in your next post?

Since ordination has been turned into a sign of authority and is no longer a sign that church is setting apart and blessing men and women for various different spiritual leadership positions, many women see this as a belittling of their roles in church leadership and thus have started to fight for equal treatment.

I'm afraid you're being dishonest with me again.

Last edited by Garywk; 09/03/23 04:46 PM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196445
09/04/23 05:41 AM
09/04/23 05:41 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

No, I am not being dishonest I am stating a very honest opinion.
Either you are not reading the whole thought, or you totally misunderstand.

The issue of Women's ordination hasn't made ordination a sign of authority.
Ordination has been made a sign of authority long before the women's ordination issue was agitated.
The catholic meaning for ordination has been accepted, the biblical meaning of ordination rejected.

But because ordination was turned into a sign of authority it has now however, become a "fight for equality" which is a different issue.

What does BIBLICAL ORDINATION mean?
Why quote the qualifications for a bishop which says nothing about ordination, to prove ordination?
It doesn't say ordination is a qualification for a bishop.
It doesn't say only bishops may be ordained.

Why shy away from that question?
IIt has not really been addressed by the church.

Women's ordination hasn't made ordination a sign of authority.
Ordination has been made a sign of authority long before the women's ordination issue was agitated.
The catholic meaning for ordination has been accepted, the biblical meaning of ordination rejected.

Ellen White tried to show a better way suggesting other spiritual leaders, like deaconess should be ordained, but that all fell by the wayside.
The Bible ordains missionaries.
We tried to implement it in our church. Several young people going as student missionaries were asked to come up front and the spiritual leaders of the church knelt around them with hand on their shoulder or head and prayed for their safety, spiritual strength and a close walking with God ...basically ordaining them for this task.

But the church has made ordination a sign of legal authority (an ordained person can do legal marriages etc.etc etc) a non-ordained person can still preach, teach, be a missionary, lead out in outreach programs, all of course without a special blessing from the church. So what is ordination? Is it the Biblical sign that the church asks God's blessing and gives their support to a person's spiritual ministry?

Yes, ordination is now basically understood as being restricted to Ordination of bishops. Why else would a list of qualifications for bishops be used to somehow show the meaning of ordination?
Of course the law of the land has had their hand in that as well. But that's not the Biblical definition of ordination.
So what is the BIBLICAL definition of ordination?

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196446
09/04/23 09:12 AM
09/04/23 09:12 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa

No, I am not being dishonest I am stating a very honest opinion.
Either you are not reading the whole thought, or you totally misunderstand.

The issue of Women's ordination hasn't made ordination a sign of authority.

But because ordination was turned into a sign of authority it has now however, become a "fight for equality" which is a different issue.

What does BIBLICAL ORDINATION mean?
Why quote the qualifications for a bishop which says nothing about ordination, to prove ordination?
It doesn't say ordination is a qualification for a bishop.
It doesn't say only bishops may be ordained.

Why shy away from that question?
IIt has not really been addressed by the church.

Women's ordination hasn't made ordination a sign of authority.

Ellen White tried to show a better way suggesting other spiritual leaders, like deaconess should be ordained, but that all fell by the wayside.
The Bible ordains missionaries.
We tried to implement it in our church. Several young people going as student missionaries were asked to come up front and the spiritual leaders of the church knelt around them with hand on their shoulder or head and prayed for their safety, spiritual strength and a close walking with God ...basically ordaining them for this task.

But the church has made ordination a sign of legal authority (an ordained person can do legal marriages etc.etc etc) a non-ordained person can still preach, teach, be a missionary, lead out in outreach programs, all of course without a special blessing from the church. So what is ordination? Is it the Biblical sign that the church asks God's blessing and gives their support to a person's spiritual ministry?

Yes, ordination is now basically understood as being restricted to Ordination of bishops. Why else would a list of qualifications for bishops be used to somehow show the meaning of ordination?
Of course the law of the land has had their hand in that as well. But that's not the Biblical definition of ordination.
So what is the BIBLICAL definition of ordination?

The Biblical sign of ordination to me is how effective/powerful a person's ministry is. But the church has been given the task of ordaining people. To do that we have to follow the closest instructions given us and the bishops qualifications, along with the deacon's, are the best we have.

I don't see ordination as being a big deal. I would far rather have the signet of God than that of man for if our lives have God's signet success in our witness will be very apparent. We will be bringing people to Jesus. The joy of that is so great any monetary rewards from man's signet pale in comparison. I can't see any sign of them being equal in value.

It's for this reason I've never seen any reason for the big brouhaha over women's ordination. The joy coming from the presence of God in our lives far outweighs money.

Last edited by Garywk; 09/04/23 09:14 AM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196448
09/04/23 10:39 AM
09/04/23 10:39 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
I would also point out what Paul said to Titus about ordination. I got to thinking about this more and started doing searches on line, in the SOP, and in the Bible. This quote actually came from what Ellen White said in Testimonies volume 5 page 617 on ordination

Tit 1:5? For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:?
Tit 1:6? If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.?
Tit 1:7? For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;?
Tit 1:8? But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;?
Tit 1:9? Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.?

Last edited by Garywk; 09/04/23 10:40 AM.
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!