HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: Does the converted Christian have unknown defects of character? [Re: Rosangela] #172750
04/04/15 09:22 PM
04/04/15 09:22 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
There is no such thing as an instantaneous sanctification. It is an every-day work. Says Paul, "I die daily" (1 Corinthians 15:31). He received a conversion daily to God. As the truth and Spirit of God revealed to him the defects in his character, he put away his wrong, died to self, and cleansed himself "from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (2 Corinthians 7:1). . . . {UL 231.3}

Re: Does the converted Christian have unknown defects of character? [Re: Rosangela] #172754
04/05/15 02:46 AM
04/05/15 02:46 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
"To men whom God designs shall fill responsible positions, He in mercy reveals their hidden defects, that they may look within and examine critically the complicated emotions and exercises of their own hearts, and detect that which is wrong; thus they may modify their dispositions and refine their manners. The Lord in His providence brings men where He can test their moral powers and reveal their motives of action, that they may improve what is right in themselves and put away that which is wrong. God would have His servants become acquainted with the moral machinery of their own hearts. In order to bring this about, He often permits the fire of affliction to assail them that they may become purified....
God leads His people on, step by step. He brings them up to different points calculated to manifest what is in the heart. Some endure at one point, but fall off at the next. At every advanced point the heart is tested and tried a little closer. If the professed people of God find their hearts opposed to this straight work, it should convince them that they have a work to do to overcome, if they would not be spewed out of the mouth of the Lord. CCh 55

Re: Does the converted Christian have unknown defects of character? [Re: Rosangela] #172757
04/05/15 05:05 PM
04/05/15 05:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Rosangela, did Paul ever reach the point where he was no longer practicing the sinful habits he cultivated while in the world? Or, did he die before Jesus was able to reveal to him all the sins he was committing ignorantly? By the way, can you name some of the sins he might have been committing ignorantly? And, can you explain why Jesus didn't reveal them to him?

Re: Does the converted Christian have unknown defects of character? [Re: Rosangela] #172758
04/05/15 05:11 PM
04/05/15 05:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
One ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character. It makes apparent the unhallowed desires, the infidelity of the heart, the impurity of the lips. The sinner’s acts of disloyalty in making void the law of God, are exposed to his sight, and his spirit is stricken and afflicted under the searching influence of the Spirit of God. He loathes himself as he views the pure, spotless character of Christ. SC29.

The old nature, born of blood and the will of the flesh, cannot inherit the kingdom of God. The old ways, the hereditary tendencies, the former habits, must be given up; for grace is not inherited. The new birth consists in having new motives, new tastes, new tendencies. Those who are begotten unto a new life by the Holy Spirit, have become partakers of the divine nature, and in all their habits and practices they will give evidence of their relationship to Christ. When men who claim to be Christians retain all their natural defects of character and disposition, in what does their position differ from that of the worldling? They do not appreciate the truth as a sanctifier, a refiner. They have not been born again. . . A genuine conversion changes hereditary and cultivated tendencies to wrong. Mar 237.

Re: Does the converted Christian have unknown defects of character? [Re: Rosangela] #172759
04/05/15 05:26 PM
04/05/15 05:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Dedication, do you know of any quotes in the SOP where she describes uncultivated inherited traits of character? I believe the quote you posted above is one of them. Do you agree? By uncultivated inherited traits of character I mean - traits of character we inherited at birth but have never cultivated, have never sinned in a way that develops them, turns them into defects of character.

Rosangela believes everyone inherits a certain number of defective traits of character that are already cultivated, already developed - before we commit our first sin. She also believes we are guilty of them as if we sinned and cultivated them ourselves. She also believes they stain the fruit of abiding in Jesus, defiling them with sin, making them unacceptable to the Father. She also believes this is proof Jesus was not like us, that His human nature was like ours, not like born-again believers. I disagree with her.

Re: Does the converted Christian have unknown defects of character? [Re: Mountain Man] #172761
04/05/15 06:15 PM
04/05/15 06:15 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Rosangela, did Paul ever reach the point where he was no longer practicing the sinful habits he cultivated while in the world? Or, did he die before Jesus was able to reveal to him all the sins he was committing ignorantly? By the way, can you name some of the sins he might have been committing ignorantly? And, can you explain why Jesus didn't reveal them to him?

Mike, you have a wrong notion. You think that only when a person is practicing some kind of sin/sinful habit does he/she have a defect of character. Love or obedience less than perfect is a defect of character. A selfish desire reveals a defect of character.

Re: Does the converted Christian have unknown defects of character? [Re: Mountain Man] #172762
04/05/15 06:28 PM
04/05/15 06:28 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
Rosangela believes everyone inherits a certain number of defective traits of character that are already cultivated, already developed - before we commit our first sin. She also believes we are guilty of them as if we sinned and cultivated them ourselves. She also believes they stain the fruit of abiding in Jesus, defiling them with sin, making them unacceptable to the Father. She also believes this is proof Jesus was not like us, that His human nature was like ours, not like born-again believers. I disagree with her.

I don't think your words adequately describe what I believe. I believe defective traits of character are synonymous with defects of character - whether you have cultivated them or not. So, people are born with defects of character which they will later manifest and develop. Of course a newborn is not guilty of anything, for his unconscious defects of character are sins of ignorance; but they are the reason why he is born in need of Savior.
Mike believes fetuses commit sin in the womb. I disagree with him.

Re: Does the converted Christian have unknown defects of character? [Re: Rosangela] #172765
04/06/15 02:02 AM
04/06/15 02:02 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Rosangela
M: Rosangela, did Paul ever reach the point where he was no longer practicing the sinful habits he cultivated while in the world? Or, did he die before Jesus was able to reveal to him all the sins he was committing ignorantly? By the way, can you name some of the sins he might have been committing ignorantly? And, can you explain why Jesus didn't reveal them to him?

R: Mike, you have a wrong notion. You think that only when a person is practicing some kind of sin/sinful habit does he/she have a defect of character. Love or obedience less than perfect is a defect of character. A selfish desire reveals a defect of character.

So, your answer to my question is - Paul sinned until the day he died.

Re: Does the converted Christian have unknown defects of character? [Re: Rosangela] #172766
04/06/15 02:17 AM
04/06/15 02:17 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
M: Rosangela believes everyone inherits a certain number of defective traits of character that are already cultivated, already developed - before we commit our first sin. She also believes we are guilty of them as if we sinned and cultivated them ourselves. She also believes they stain the fruit of abiding in Jesus, defiling them with sin, making them unacceptable to the Father. She also believes this is proof Jesus was not like us, that His human nature was like ours, not like born-again believers. I disagree with her.

R: I don't think your words adequately describe what I believe. I believe defective traits of character are synonymous with defects of character - whether you have cultivated them or not. So, people are born with defects of character which they will later manifest and develop. Of course a newborn is not guilty of anything, for his unconscious defects of character are sins of ignorance; but they are the reason why he is born in need of Savior.

"So, people are born with defects of character (sins of ignorance} which they will later manifest and develop."
1) Will they manifest and develop all of them and become guilty of them?
2) Or, will they avoid manifesting and developing some of them?
3) If so, are they guiltless of the ones they do not manifest and develop?
4) Why do sins of ignorance require a Savior if people are guiltless?

Mike believes fetuses commit sin in the womb. I disagree with him.

Yes, I believe children begin sinning shortly before they are born. "All have sinned". They are unaware they are sinning, nevertheless, they are guilty. Jesus' atoning blood and righteousness covers their sins of ignorance. However, it does not mean all infants are saved. Whether they are saved or not depends on factors only Jesus knows about.

Re: Does the converted Christian have unknown defects of character? [Re: Mountain Man] #172767
04/06/15 12:47 PM
04/06/15 12:47 PM
Rosangela  Offline OP
5500+ Member
Brazil
Quote:
M: Rosangela, did Paul ever reach the point where he was no longer practicing the sinful habits he cultivated while in the world? Or, did he die before Jesus was able to reveal to him all the sins he was committing ignorantly? By the way, can you name some of the sins he might have been committing ignorantly? And, can you explain why Jesus didn't reveal them to him?

R: Mike, you have a wrong notion. You think that only when a person is practicing some kind of sin/sinful habit does he/she have a defect of character. Love or obedience less than perfect is a defect of character. A selfish desire reveals a defect of character.

M: So, your answer to my question is - Paul sinned until the day he died.

No! You asked: "Did Paul ever reach the point where he was no longer practicing the sinful habits he cultivated while in the world?" My answer was that yes, Paul reached the point where he was no longer practicing the sinful habits he cultivated while in the world, otherwise he wouldn't have said, "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ" (1 Cor. 11:1). This doesn't mean that, at this point, he was totally exempt from defects of character. We are born with natural defects of character which we will have to subdue until our vile body is changed.

"Christ will never neglect the work that has been placed in His hands. He will inspire the resolute disciple with a sense of the perversity, the sin-stained condition, the depravity, of the heart upon which He is working. The true penitent learns the uselessness of self-importance. Looking to Jesus, comparing his own defective character with the Saviour's perfect character, he says only-- 'In my hand no price I bring; Simply to Thy cross I cling.'" {HP 64.6}

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!