HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,612
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Elle] #180109
04/06/16 11:38 PM
04/06/16 11:38 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: Elle
Originally Posted By: GreenC
Let's look closer at that definition. Multiple online sources confirm that "ratsach" means murder, including Strong's definitions.

That link source contradict what numerous source including the official Strong Concordance & dictionary itself that I have in my library has published. I think your link source is in error for I have ratsach defined as "to dash in pieces" from Strong dictionary in :

#1 my scripture4all software,
#2 the online blueletterBible site,
#3 in my bible that has Strongs dictionary in the back,
#4 in my hard copy(book) of Strong's Exhaustive Concordance a 1992 reprint that has Strong's dictionary ,

#5 the Gesenius Hebrew and Chalsean Lexicon -- This is not Strong's dictionary but from Brown, Driver & Briggs Hebrew's Lexicon which is a renown a preferred piece of work over others....they have the same definition as Strong.

ALL of these sources have define the word ratsach as "to dash in pieces".

See at link where you will see Strong's definition and the Gesenius both showing "to dash in pieces" : https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H7523&t=KJV

You said that "Multiple online sources...including Strong" Do you have other online sources that says Strong dictionary has define ratsach as "murder"? I very doubt so unless Strong's has another dictionary version which I have never seen yet. I think that link did a mistake to attribute that definition as Strong's for all the 4 sources listed above by which two of them is hard copies of Strong's official dictionary which says contrary to your link source.

Elle,

I hope we're not simply down to a "it means what I want it to mean, and I found a dictionary I like that says it that way" kind of thing here. You have to understand something about word definitions provided in Strong's and other concordances. When they speak of a "root" they are speaking of the word stem from which the current word under consideration is derived. You are looking at what they are saying the root meaning was, but they are not providing that meaning for "ratsach."

Consider the following English example to illustrate:

1) rap
2) rapacious
3) rape
4) rapt
5) raptor
6) rapture

All of these come from the same root word "rap." But they all have distinct meanings: #6 can mean a person is in a state of ecstasy or delight; #5 is an order of birds that includes eagles, hawks, falcons, etc.; #3 means to take by force and/or violate; and #2 speaks of the violent manner in which something is done.

Originally Posted By: Webster's 1828 Dictionary

RAP, v.i. [L. rapio, rapidus, rapid.]
To strike with a quick sharp blow; to knock; as, to rap on the door.

RAP, v.t. To strike with a quick blow; to knock.
With one great peal they rap the door.
To rap out, to utter with sudden violence; as, to rap out an oath. [In the popular language of the United States, it is often pronounced rip, to rip out an oath; L. crepo.]

RAP, v.t.
1. to seize and bear away, as the mind or thoughts; to transport out of one's self; to affect with ecstasy or rapture; as rapt into admiration.
I'm rapt with joy to see my Marcia's tears.
Rapt into future times the bar begun.
2. To snatch or hurry away.
And rapt with whirling wheels.
Rapt in a chariot drawn by fiery steeds.
3. To seize by violence.
4. To exchange; to truck. [Low and not used.]
To rap and rend, to seize and tear or strip; to fall on and plunder; to snatch by violence. They brought off all they could rap and rend. [See Rend.]

RAP, n. a quick smart blow; as a rap on the knuckles.

RAPACIOUS, a. [L. rapax, from rapio, to seize. See Rap.]
1. Given to plunder; disposed or accustomed to seize by violence; seizing by force; as a rapacious enemy.
Well may thy lord, appeas'd redeem thee quite from death's rapacious claim.
2. Accustomed to seize for food; subsisting on prey or animals seized by violence; as a rapacious tiger; a rapacious fowl.

RAPACIOUSLY, adv. By rapine; by violent robbery or seizure.

RAPACIOUSNESS, n. The quality of being rapacious; disposition to plunder or to exact by oppression.

RAPACITY, n. [L. rapacitas, from rapax, rapio.]
1. Addictedness to plunder; the exercise of plunder; the act or practice of seizing by force; as the rapacity of a conquering army; the rapacity of pirates; the rapacity of a Turkish pashaw; the rapacity of extortioners.
2. Ravenousness; as the rapacity of animals.
3. The act or practice of extorting or exacting by oppressive injustice.

RAPE, n. [L. rapio, raptus. See Rap.]
1. In a general sense, a seizing by violence; also, a seizing and carrying away by force, as females.
2. In law, the carnal knowledge of a woman forcibly and against her will.
3. Privation; the act of seizing or taking away.
And ruin'd orphans of thy rapes complain.
4. something taken or seized and carried away.
Where now are all my hopes? oh, never more shall they revive, nor death her rapes restore.
5. Fruit plucked from the cluster.
6. A division of a county in Sussex, in England; or an intermediate division between a hundred and a shire, and containing three or four hundreds.

RAPE, n. [L. rapa, Gr.]
A plant of the genus Brassica, called also cole-rape and cole-seed, and of which the navew or French turnip is a variety.
The broom-rape is of the genus Orobanche.

RAPEROOT. [See Rape.]

RAPESEED, n. The seed of the rape, from which oil is expressed.

RAPID, a. [L. rapidus, from rapio, the primary sense of which is to rush.]
1. Very swift or quick; moving with celerity; as a rapid stream; a rapid flight; a rapid motion.
Part shun the goal with rapid wheels.
2. Advancing with haste or speed; speedy in progression; as rapid growth; rapid improvement.
3. Of quick utterance of words; as a rapid speaker.

RAPIDITY, n. [L. rapiditas.]
1. Swiftness; celerity; velocity; as the rapidity of a current; the rapidity of motion of any kind.
2. Haste in utterance; as the rapidity of speech or pronunciation.
3. Quickness of progression or advance; as rapidity of growth or improvement.

RAPIDLY, adv.
1. With great speed, celerity or velocity; swiftly; with quick progression; as, to run rapidly; to grow or improve rapidly.
2. With quick utterance; as, to speak rapidly.

RAPIDNESS, n. Swiftness; speed; celerity; rapidity.

RAPIDS, n. plu. The part of a river where the current moves with more celerity than the common current. Rapids imply a considerable descent of the earth, but not sufficient to occasion a fall of the water, or what is called a cascade or cataract.

RAPIER, n. A small sword used only in thrusting.

RAPIER-FISH, n. The sword-fish.

RAPIL, RAPILLO, n. Pulverized volcanic substances.

RAPINE, n. [L. rapina; rapio, to seize.]
1. The act of plundering; the seizing and carrying away of things by force.
2. Violence; force.

RAPINE, v.t. To plunder.

RAPPAREE, n. A wild Irish plunderer; so called from rapery, a half pike that he carries.

RAPPEE, n. A coarse kind of snuff.

RAPPER, n. [from rap.]
1. One that raps or knocks.
2. The knocker of a door. [Not in common use.]
3. An oath or a lie. [Not in use.]

RAPPORT, n. Relation; proportion. [Not in use.]

RAPT, pp. [from rap.] Transported; ravished.

RAPT, v.t. To transport or ravish. [Not legitimate or in use.]

RAPT, n.
1. An ecstasy; a trance.
2. Rapidity. [Not in use.]

RAPTER, RAPTOR, n. [L. raptor.] A ravisher; a plunderer.

RAPTURE, n. [L. raptus, rapio.]
1. A seizing by violence. [Little used.]
2. Transport; ecstasy; violence of a pleasing passion; extreme joy or pleasure.
Music when thus applied, raises in the mind of the hearer great conceptions; it strengthens devotion and advances praise into rapture.
3. Rapidity with violence; a hurrying along with velocity; as rolling with torrent rapture.
4. Enthusiasm; uncommon heat of imagination.
You grow correct, that once with rapture writ.

RAPTURED, a. Ravished; transported.
[But enraptured is generally used.]

RAPTURIST, n. An enthusiast.

RAPTUROUS, a. Ecstatic; transporting; ravishing; as rapturous joy, pleasure or delight.

This example provided above demonstrates that about 30 different dictionary entries all come from the same "root."

In Strong's, he gives the root meaning, then follows that with the actual meaning for the word in question--just like many dictionaries do. While the root meaning can be helpful, for it traces the concepts back to their source for us, it is not the sole determinant of a word's meaning. If it were, all 30 of the above dictionary entries earlier referred to should mean "To strike with a quick sharp blow; to knock; as, to rap on the door." Obviously, that would not help us much to understand that "raptor" refers to birds of prey, or that "rapture" can mean such things as "ecstasy" and "delight."

Here is Strong's defition of "ratsach":

Originally Posted By: Strong's Hebrew Lexicon
7523 ratsach raw-tsakh'
a primitive root; properly, to dash in pieces, i.e. kill (a human being), especially to murder:--put to death, kill, (man-)slay(-er), murder(-er).

Notice in the above that everything after the ":--" is the definition for the word in question. Prior to that is the meaning of the "primitive root" from which this word has been derived.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #180110
04/07/16 12:32 AM
04/07/16 12:32 AM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
In the above, BOTH uses of "ratsach" (spelled differently than this in the above transliteration), were verbs. Even the interlinear rendering used a noun form for one in English. That particular permutation of "ratsach" supposedly occurs only twice in all of the Bible, and the other time it occurs it is translated as a verb.

So, this text is not talking about "murderers" (nouns), right? It's talking about the act of murdering (verb).
So would you agree that in Numbers 35:30, at least one of the ratsach is used as a verb?

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: kland] #180111
04/07/16 01:33 AM
04/07/16 01:33 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
So would you agree that in Numbers 35:30, at least one of the ratsach is used as a verb?

kland,

According to the sources I already cited, BOTH uses are verbs. In fact, "ratsach" is ALWAYS a verb in Hebrew.

Are you an expert in Hebrew? I doubt it. Neither am I. So perhaps it will not be a simple thing for us to understand, but the fact is, it is more often than not translated to a noun in English.

KJV translations of "ratsach":
slayer+16,+murderer+14,+kill+5,+murder+3,+slain+3,+manslayer+2,+killing+1,+slayer+++0310+1,+slayeth+1,+death+1

At most, 13 times it is translated as a verb (I didn't check to see if "killing" might be used as a gerund noun). Of 47 total occurrences, this means that it is treated as a noun in English well over 70% of the time. If you're expert enough to inform us why that would be the case, I would not mind being enlightened. However, I suspect, having done a lot of translation work, that Elle may be onto something in saying that Hebrew tends to emphasize verbs. English doesn't. English emphasizes nouns. We use nouns for subjects, objects of prepositions, objects of verbs, as subjective complements, as adjectives, etc., and verbs in English can frequently be used as nouns as well. So, translating from a verb-centric mode of thought to a noun-centric one means changing the grammar.

Considering these facts, I feel we do disservice to this study to overemphasize the particular parts of speech of the Hebrew. One thing is clear: Hebrew should be consistent with itself, even though the English is not.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #180112
04/07/16 01:56 AM
04/07/16 01:56 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Consider the following English example to illustrate:

1) rap
2) rapacious
3) rape
4) rapt
5) raptor
6) rapture

All of these come from the same root word "rap." But they all have distinct meanings: #6 can mean a person is in a state of ecstasy or delight; #5 is an order of birds that includes eagles, hawks, falcons, etc.; #3 means to take by force and/or violate; and #2 speaks of the violent manner in which something is done.

I have already answered this to Asygo.
http://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=179982#Post179982
No ---- Hebrew doesn't work the same way as with other language. You are assuming Hebrew is the same as other languages -- it is not so.

In Strong's, he gives the root meaning, then follows that with the actual meaning for the word in question--just like many dictionaries do.

No that's not how it works. It starts with the proper definition it Hebrew. Then it follows with how it was found applied in the Biblical text. Some Hebrew words, as you saw with retsach, had only two application, thus not that much and it was only translated in English in those two ocurrence as "sword" and "slaughter". Whereas ratsach proper meaning "to dash in pieces" was mainly associated in the Bible towards a man thus the 47 occurrences has many translation as "kill", "murder" "slay", and "put to death" . These English translation are NOT the definition of the Hebrew word.

If you speak the Hebrew language, they only say "ratsach" and for them "ratsach" means "to dash in pieces". It does not mean to "kill" "murder" "slay" and "put to death". They have other words for many of these.

The proper definition is applied in diverse circumstances. If an animals gives you a lot of heartache, let's say a bull gores your son. Then when you tell the story how you slaughtered that bull you might use the word "ratsach" instead the typical "hareg" word; because when killing that bull you simply didn't "hareg"(strike him in the intend to kill him) but you have striked him so many times even after he was already dead out of hatred for he has kill your beloved son. Then to express this type of killing you will use "ratsach" and not "hareg". The individual understand that "ratsach" means "to dash in pieces" thus he can visualize that this bull was heavily slaughtered because of the proper definition that word has in Hebrew.

While the root meaning can be helpful, for it traces the concepts back to their source for us, it is not the sole determinant of a word's meaning. If it were, all 30 of the above dictionary entries earlier referred to should mean "To strike with a quick sharp blow; to knock; as, to rap on the door." Obviously, that would not help us much to understand that "raptor" refers to birds of prey, or that "rapture" can mean such things as "ecstasy" and "delight."

You are relating to the Hebrew language like the English and other languages. You speak out of complete ignorance Green. You do not know the Hebrew and you are assuming a lot of things again without knowing the facts and having done any investigation. You have been repeating this speaking with so many assumptions over and over again since the beginning of this discussion. What you are doing there is called worshiping Baal of Peor. Big time! Sorry to be so blunt, but you keep on repeating this and keep on showing yourself again and again to jump into conclusion without doing the proper investigation and filling the gaps with supposition that you are totally unaware of or without receiving any revelation from above to confirm these assumptions that you treat as TRUTH. This is worshipping Peor and not the Lord. Your approach to investigate the unknown and your speech is far from what we are commanded to do and what we should aspire to be like. We are call to only repeat His words of Truth and in Truth. When we do not know or have not received a double witness from above to confirm what we assume -- we are not to speak these as if these things were truth -- but treat these as in the same category as "heart idols" or "unclean things" until the Lord confirms these to you.

Here is Strong's defition of "ratsach":

Originally Posted By: Strong's Hebrew Lexicon
7523 ratsach raw-tsakh'
a primitive root; properly, to dash in pieces, i.e. kill (a human being), especially to murder:--put to death, kill, (man-)slay(-er), murder(-er).

Notice in the above that everything after the ":--" is the definition for the word in question. Prior to that is the meaning of the "primitive root" from which this word has been derived.

No Green. everything after the ":--" is NOT the definition for the word in question. It is what the KJV has translated in ENGLISH the Hebrew word in the occurrences found in the Bible.

Notice what it says at the beginning of the definition of the Hebrew word it says "properly, to dash in pieces". The underlined is the proper definition of the Hebrew word. For someone that is strong in languages you should know very well what proper definition means. I shouldn't have to tell you this at all.

I will repeat -- this is the proper definition of the word in question. Strong and other Lexicon will start as such by giving in the first part of the definition of the word its proper definition. What comes after that could be some diverse application as "literal" or "figurative" or "causative" or etc... forms. These is diverse form the proper meaning of the word may be found in the Bible. Then after that with ":--" is how the words was translated in ENGLISH according to the context used.

I have patiently dealt with all your resistance for over 10 pages of posts now. I understand you don't know the Hebrew language and you made a lot of assumptions. But at least acknowledge that you need to look these up instead of arguing with assumptions that you treat as truth.

I'm assuming that what is behind all this resistance, its probably because you have used these "English Words" arguments with APL over Num 35:30 in those long discussions for years, and from what I'm saying with the Hebrew, this means that these "English Words" arguments doesn't hold water. That's what I believe is the real issue and what is behind all of this resistance and argument.

I think 10 pages is enough for me. I am no longer answering all your resistance post that many of your argument makes no sense like what was said that I've answered in this post and many other posts. At times, it does make sense and I can understand that you say things in ignorance of the Hebrew. That's ok and I don't mind answering those. But I do not appreciate answering things that you should know better and only a device to find anything to hold to your idols.

Now, I'm at a point that either you(or others in the forum) agree to proceed to looking at the other texts with ratsach in it like in Jud 20:4 (with Hos 4:2; 6:4; Is :21; Jer 7:9). If either you or others does NOT take the initiative to continue our investigation of ratsach, then I have 5 other discussions to attend to and I will do this study on my own.

It is yours (& others) call if you want to proceed.

Blessings
Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #180118
04/07/16 01:25 PM
04/07/16 01:25 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

kland,

According to the sources I already cited, BOTH uses are verbs. In fact, "ratsach" is ALWAYS a verb in Hebrew.

Are you an expert in Hebrew? I doubt it. Neither am I. So perhaps it will not be a simple thing for us to understand, but the fact is, it is more often than not translated to a noun in English.

KJV translations of "ratsach":
slayer+16,+murderer+14,+kill+5,+murder+3,+slain+3,+manslayer+2,+killing+1,+slayer+++0310+1,+slayeth+1,+death+1

At most, 13 times it is translated as a verb (I didn't check to see if "killing" might be used as a gerund noun). Of 47 total occurrences, this means that it is treated as a noun in English well over 70% of the time. If you're expert enough to inform us why that would be the case, I would not mind being enlightened. However, I suspect, having done a lot of translation work, that Elle may be onto something in saying that Hebrew tends to emphasize verbs. English doesn't. English emphasizes nouns. We use nouns for subjects, objects of prepositions, objects of verbs, as subjective complements, as adjectives, etc., and verbs in English can frequently be used as nouns as well. So, translating from a verb-centric mode of thought to a noun-centric one means changing the grammar.

Considering these facts, I feel we do disservice to this study to overemphasize the particular parts of speech of the Hebrew. One thing is clear: Hebrew should be consistent with itself, even though the English is not.
So then you would agree that the instruction of Numbers 35:30 is that the one who has killed is to be murdered, to be dashed in pieces.

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: kland] #180121
04/08/16 01:12 AM
04/08/16 01:12 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
So then you would agree that the instruction of Numbers 35:30 is that the one who has killed is to be murdered, to be dashed in pieces.

I sure wouldn't. I suggest you scroll back and read my posts in this thread.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #180122
04/08/16 03:02 PM
04/08/16 03:02 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Green,

My first objection was you saying both words were nouns. You then said they are both verbs. Now you seem to contradict yourself.

This is none other than further evidence why you refuse to give a definition. You were afraid someone would show your inconsistencies, that what you say may not be supported. You said Numbers 35 was clear. You refused to say exactly what. I presented a text. You objected and said it didn't say what it did. Then you went on and on about it being nouns. Then verbs. Now you object to yourself.....

Leads me to be in agreement with Elle:
I have patiently dealt with all your resistance for over 10 pages of posts now. I understand you don't know the Hebrew language and you made a lot of assumptions. But at least acknowledge that you need to look these up instead of arguing with assumptions that you treat as truth.

I'm assuming that what is behind all this resistance, its probably because you have used these "English Words" arguments with APL over Num 35:30 in those long discussions for years, and from what I'm saying with the Hebrew, this means that these "English Words" arguments doesn't hold water. That's what I believe is the real issue and what is behind all of this resistance and argument.
She hit the nail on the head!

As you did not respond to my suggestion that you make a pro and con chart of the verse, it appears to me that you are not an inquirer of truth but a believer who seeks to support what you already pre-believe. That is, you believe something is true because you believe it.

You take multiple pages using all kinds of novel approaches of making no sense about a verse which should be perfectly clear, a verse in a chapter which you stated was clear. It's not to find out the truth the verse is saying, but to make the verse support what you think is truth. Therefore, you make an individual private interpretation of scripture contrary to those who do study Hebrew. No witnesses to back you up.

Have a good day,

kland

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: kland] #180128
04/09/16 12:51 AM
04/09/16 12:51 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
My first objection was you saying both words were nouns. You then said they are both verbs. Now you seem to contradict yourself.

You haven't properly read my posts, apparently. I just now did an "Advanced Search" here on this site, limited the search to display name "Green Cochoa" and looked for "nouns" as the search term. I extended the time, to be sure to catch any possibility, back a full year to present. Upon clicking "submit," I was presented with three options. The oldest post in this thread was the one that addressed YOUR assumption that I had said both uses were nouns. In that post I said they were both verbs. I have been consistent in that from the beginning, i.e., I have NEVER said what you claim. You will be unable to prove it, for you are claiming a falsehood.

So far from someone showing my inconsistencies, it would appear I have been consistent and that those with opposing views have not. If you wish to rely on fictions of your own imagination like this about what I have said or believe, please feel free to believe anything you want about me so that you can . . .

Have a nice day.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Elle] #180131
04/09/16 01:08 AM
04/09/16 01:08 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Well "retsach" means "a crushing" So I can see that there is some application within the context. I don't think a sword is a good instrument to "crush" someone's bones, I would think a hammer or rock would do that job better. But regardless, that's why we need to look at the Hebrew word to really have a better understanding of the text. I agree two occurrences is not many to go by and I haven't looked at the two texts context to see if there are one of these that we can derive a definition of "retsach".

So, is it only "murder" (since you say that "ratsach" has the same root meaning as "retsach") prohibited by the sixth commandment if one uses stones, hammers, etc. to do the deed? If a sword is used, it would not violate the sixth commandment? Is that what your definitions are leading you to conclude?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

Re: The Power of Words -- Why Definitions Matter [Re: Green Cochoa] #180152
04/10/16 07:20 AM
04/10/16 07:20 AM
E
Elle  Offline
Active Member 2019
Died February 12, 2019

2500+ Member
Canada
Quote:
Elle : Well "retsach" means "a crushing" So I can see that there is some application within the context. I don't think a sword is a good instrument to "crush" someone's bones, I would think a hammer or rock would do that job better. But regardless, that's why we need to look at the Hebrew word to really have a better understanding of the text. I agree two occurrences is not many to go by and I haven't looked at the two texts context to see if there are one of these that we can derive a definition of "retsach".

GreenC: So, is it only "murder" (since you say that "ratsach" has the same root meaning as "retsach") prohibited by the sixth commandment if one uses stones, hammers, etc. to do the deed?

No, the tool can be anything as specified in Num 35 : iron tool (v.16) stone (v.17) or wood (v.18). Thus a hammer would fall into the category of an iron tool.

What I was saying above is "retsach" was translated by KJV in Ps 42:10 as "sword".( "[As] with a sword[retsach, meaning "a crushing"] in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where [is] thy God?") Other version used other English words, however no matter. But I thought that the KJV should of used a better instrument that would actually "crush" his bones like a sledge hammer. I visualized a sword cutting the bones, not crushing it.

If a sword is used, it would not violate the sixth commandment? Is that what your definitions are leading you to conclude?

No. A sword is an instrument of iron and fit in the category in Num 35:16. I view Num 35:16-18 naming all the possible tools used to murder someone in those days. Thus to me the spirit of the law is saying anything used to murder(ratsach) someone is murder. Tools makes no matter.

I answered this post because I forgot to say the following:

ratsach & retsach are basically the same word for they are spelled exactly the same way : Resh, Tsade, Chet. The difference is found in the vowels that are represented by those little markings on top, bottom or side of the consonants. Vowels do not constitute the meaning of the word. It is the consonants that does as each character has a meaning and it is the sum of the characters meaning that constitute the word meaning. So both words have the same consonants thus that's why their meaning are relatively the same.

ratsach = "to dash in pieces"
retsach = "a crushing"

None of these words means "murder", "put to death", "kill", or "slay" like the KJV and other translation has translated these.

ratsach means "murder" only when applied toward a man. As far as I can see, all the occurences in the Bible of ratsach was towards a man, thus that's why we only see the word translated in those 4 similar words in the KJV.

But you can ratsach a pumpkin, a cow, a rock, a glass window, etc... If the context of ratsach would of been used with any of these words in the Bible, the KJV or other version might of translated it as to "crush", "slaughter", "crush", "smash" respectively. The English translation of the word "ratsach" depended on its application. But in Hebrew, they don't have 100 words to expressed all the possible applications. They have one word, and it is ratsach. You only need to say ratsach and can apply it to any possible circumstances.

Blessings
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!