HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,257 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: dedication] #186792
06/09/18 03:19 PM
06/09/18 03:19 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Originally Posted By: dedication
But the fact remains, there is NO Biblical support for Sunday to replace the 7th day Sabbath.

And therein lies your first error, Ulrich. You continue to view the issue from YOUR point of view, rather than trying to understand how THEY view it.

When you take the time and effort to learn THEIR "world view" you will be far more successful in addressing the underpinnings of THEIR theological positions and begin to make serious inroads in legitimate dialog.

But you wont do that, because YOU'RE RIGHT, and YOU HAVE THE TRUTH.

"All that is Gold does not Glitter, Not all who Wander are Lost." (J.R.R.T.)
Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: Rick H] #186795
06/09/18 04:47 PM
06/09/18 04:47 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Show me (and I'm not Ulrich) from scripture where there is a COMMAND to replace Sunday for the 7th day Sabbath.

I've been through all the supposed REASONS, but have never seen a Biblical command, or evidence that God sanctified and blessed and rested on the 1st day Sunday.

People will get rid of the ten commandments and nail them to the cross, --- yet why would any Christian do that?
The commandments define sin -- it is sin that needs to go, not God's commandments.

But consider -- aren't a lot of Sunday keeping Christians eager to have the commandments placed in public places? Haven't they even instituted "ten commandment day" "a day when Christians can come together and celebrate God's eternal law"? They have a "commission" to make the ten commandments official in America!

Most will still acknowledge 90% of the Decalogue But the push is on to make SUNDAY the official rest day in America --

However, they want to unite state and church -- and that is NOT where the ten commandments are to be applied. The ten commandments DEFINE SIN, and it is the work of the Holy Spirit to lead us out of sin, not the work of the state.

Reasons often given for Sunday???

Any close reading of Colossians 2 reveals it is the SINS which Jesus took to the cross, it's our sins that spell our death, and Jesus took those upon himself when He went to the cross. He did not nail the law that defines sin to the cross.

Romans 14 says nothing about God's law, but talks a lot about eating or not eating. History shows there was considerable disagreement concerning fast days between Christians and Jews. To say Paul is talking about the Sabbath as being optional is pure assumption.

Sunday keepers sometimes argue that Christ appeared to the disciples only on the first day of the week after His resurrection. But that is easily shown to be false. Yes, He appeared to the women and to two men on the road to Emmaus on that Sunday BUT It was already after dark when Christ appeared in the midst of the disciples after His resurrection -- thus Sunday was already passed. Eight days later Christ appeared to them again -- but eight days later is not another Sunday, it is Monday, or even Tuesday.
On one occasion when Christ appeared to them, the disciples were busy fishing, and Jesus miraculously filled their nets. Again not very convincing that Jesus is instituting a new Sabbath.

Paul asking the people to do their business accounting on the 1st day of the week, so they won't have to do it when he met with them, hardly supports Sunday worship.

Strangely when Paul met with the Jews on Sabbath, Gentiles after the service asked Paul to come and teach THE NEXT SABBATH. A wonderful opportunity for Paul to tell them -- let's meet tomorrow it's the new Lord's Day Sabbath" but no, Paul agrees to meet with them THE NEXT SABBATH when the practically the whole city meet together to hear him. (Acts 13:43-44)

Probably the chief argument Sunday people use is that it is a celebration of the resurrection. Sort of the idea that Saturday Sabbath was a memorial of Creation and Sunday is the memorial of REcreation through Christ. But again, that is not founded on scripture, but on human reasoning.

The 7th day Sabbath already carries the truths of creation and it is the sign and acknowledgment that it is God that SANCTIFIES (transforms and makes holy)us.

Historically one of the biggest reasons Sunday crept in was because Christians did not want to be associated with the Jews who had fallen into major disgrace with the Romans. But that is definitely NOT a Biblical endorsement of the change.

And the list goes on --
Yes, Sunday keepers have had to try and convince themselves that Sunday is "the Lord's Day" over the last 1600 or more years -- they've amassed quite a mountain of reasons. But the fact remains -- there is NO Biblical command that replaces the 7th day Sabbath with Sunday.

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: dedication] #186796
06/09/18 05:33 PM
06/09/18 05:33 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
Show me (and I'm not Ulrich)

I know.

from scripture where there is a COMMAND to replace Sunday for the 7th day Sabbath.
You still missed the point. All the reasons you listed below are seventh-day keepers responses to Sunday keeping. In other words they are straw-man arguments. (Invent an argument and refute IT rather than your opponents ACTUAL argument.) Nowhere do you mention the main and driving reasons Sunday is accepted by Christians.

I've been through all the supposed REASONS, but have never seen a Biblical command, or evidence that God sanctified and blessed and rested on the 1st day Sunday.
You are STILL viewing it from your point of view. You have neither mentioned nor addressed the main support (or "support," if you prefer) and the implications of this (ie their) world view. Until you do that you will never understand why people keep Sunday, all "Biblical" "rationales" not withstanding.

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: Rick H] #186799
06/09/18 09:03 PM
06/09/18 09:03 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
No, they are not "strawmen" those arguments were NOT made up and invented by Sabbath keepers.
They were reasons given by people who call Sunday "the Lord's Day" the "new Christian Sabbath".

Just a few weeks ago I tuned in to a religious radio station (NOT SDA) and surprisingly a preacher was talking about the Sabbath. The first few minutes were good as he talked about the importance of the Sabbath. But then he launched into why Christians keep Sunday and that "old Jewish Sabbath" was replaced.

No -- you can't convince me Sunday keepers don't hurl those arguments against Sabbath keepers in order to promote their Sunday.

Maybe you see a different reason why some keep Sunday.

As far as the average Sunday Church goer --
many have never even had serious thought about it, for in their minds Sunday is simply the day when Christians go to church. It's basic tradition-- that's when their church meets and so that's when they go to worship.
They have not actually rejected the Sabbath, they simply don't understand the issues.

But pleading ignorance is not good enough for me.
What does God say about His holy day?

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: JAK] #186811
06/11/18 02:28 PM
06/11/18 02:28 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: JAK
Additionally, Saturday keepers are unable to articulate the reasons people keep Sunday. They are content to claim "It's not in the Bible" and leave it at that. So they don't actually KNOW why others keep Sunday.

One convicted of a DUI had reasons for drinking and driving. They also will have reasons for driving with a suspended license. But just because one believes they have very good reasons for believing something does not mean it is right.

JAK, The Bible speaks of the saints keeping the commandments of God. Do you believe keeping the 7th day Sabbath is one of the commandments of God?

What similarities do you see in the following verses?

Rev 14:7 And he said with a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come, and worship him who made heaven and earth, the sea and the springs of water.”

Ex 20:11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: kland] #186815
06/11/18 03:28 PM
06/11/18 03:28 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
What I'm saying is that no one has yet articulated the ACTUAL reason Sunday keepers keep Sunday; you are all hedging around the bush.

dedication, it's not that the Sunday keepers DON'T use these texts, but that the texts are peripheral to the real reason. And there ARE texts that support the real reason. You insist on addressing the texts without addressing the argument. I'm actually surprised you don't know what it is.

kland, my personal beliefs on God's commandments are not germane to the discussion. In typical Adventist fashion you seem to think that just because I know the reasons I therefore believe it. One of the marks of a thinking person is that they can accurately understand and articulate their opponent's position, without at the same time "believing" it. Both you and dedication fail to do this.

And it is not enough to say "Well, I know the truth so I don't have to know what you think." One cannot offer a valid rebuttal if you don't know the argument.

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: kland] #186820
06/12/18 02:25 AM
06/12/18 02:25 AM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
Additionally, Saturday keepers are unable to articulate the reasons people keep Sunday. They are content to claim "It's not in the Bible" and leave it at that. So they don't actually KNOW why others keep Sunday.

One convicted of a DUI had reasons for drinking and driving. They also will have reasons for driving with a suspended license. But just because one believes they have very good reasons for believing something does not mean it is right.

JAK, The Bible speaks of the saints keeping the commandments of God. Do you believe keeping the 7th day Sabbath is one of the commandments of God?

What similarities do you see in the following verses?

Rev 14:7 And he said with a loud voice, “Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come, and worship him who made heaven and earth, the sea and the springs of water.”

Ex 20:11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

The first text (Rev. 14:7) is not about the Sabbath at all. In linking the verse to the Exodus Sabbath commandment simply by word association, without due respect for context, has caused you to walk the well-worn SDA path of dubious exegesis.

In Revelation 13-14, first the Image of the beast demands worship on pain of death. His demand must be viewed in opposition to the One who deserves worship: the Lamb, the Image and Glory of the Invisible God. Further, it is the Image of God who "made heaven and earth, the sea and the springs of water," NOT the Image of the beast.

Rev. 14:7 therefore is urging that people do not behave like dogs who, forsaking the natural use of the bitch, hump the fire hydrant instead. As Paul says (2 Cor. 6:14-18 MSG):
  • Don’t become partners with those who reject God. How can you make a partnership out of right and wrong? That’s not partnership; that’s war. Is light best friends with dark? Does Christ go strolling with the Devil? Do trust and mistrust hold hands? Who would think of setting up pagan idols in God’s holy Temple? But that is exactly what we are, each of us a temple in whom God lives. God himself put it this way:

• "I’ll live in them, move into them;
    I’ll be their God and they’ll be my people.
    So leave the corruption and compromise;
    leave it for good,
    " says God.
    "Don’t link up with those who will pollute you.
    I want you all for myself.
    I’ll be a Father to you;
    you’ll be sons and daughters to me.
    "

///

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: JAK] #186822
06/12/18 01:41 PM
06/12/18 01:41 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
What I'm saying is that no one has yet articulated the ACTUAL reason Sunday keepers keep Sunday; you are all hedging around the bush.
So in a jury trial of the driver killing someone, should the jury articulate the actual reason he both drank and drove?

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: James Peterson] #186823
06/12/18 01:47 PM
06/12/18 01:47 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: James Peterson

The first text (Rev. 14:7) is not about the Sabbath at all.
I actually had asked what similarities do you see in the verses. Nothing about the Sabbath.

Quote:
In Revelation 13-14, first the Image of the beast demands worship on pain of death. His demand must be viewed in opposition to the One who deserves worship: the Lamb, the Image and Glory of the Invisible God. Further, it is the Image of God who "made heaven and earth, the sea and the springs of water," NOT the Image of the beast.
So according to Rev 14:7, besides the hour of His judgment, why should we worship God, why does He deserve it?

Re: Was the first day of the week or Sunday ever made a day of worship? [Re: dedication] #186830
06/12/18 09:00 PM
06/12/18 09:00 PM
J
JAK  Offline
FORMER-SDA
Active Member 2018
Banned
Canada
But the fact remains -- there is NO Biblical command that replaces the 7th day Sabbath with Sunday.

Focusing on this single aspect of the Saturday/Sunday question is akin to rejecting the Trinity doctrine because the word "trinity" is not found in the Bible. Most (I would say all) doctrines are derived from many references, texts, and understandings, and rightly so; one should look at the whole picture when forming doctrine.

At the same time you hold strongly to the Investigative Judgement doctrine even though there is no Bible text that mentions it, and, by SDA scholars own admission: "Supporting evidence for the I.J. is often hard to understand, convoluted, contradictory, very technical, highly debatable, inaccessible, or nonexistent. In other words, it is hardly the model of a secure and reasonable biblical doctrine." (Spectrum, 6 December 2013 | Harold A. McGregor Jr.)

There is also "NO Biblical command" for all GENTILES to keep the Sabbath; only (at best) implied suggestions.

So if you want to offer a legitimate argument to keep Saturday Sabbath, start looking at the whole picture...

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!