HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Paying Tithe on the Sabbath #189295
05/07/19 03:31 AM
05/07/19 03:31 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
The Bible indicates that our gifts to God should be done on the first day of the week, not on Sabbath. While I agree that the tithes and offerings could be laid aside on a day other than the Sabbath, the question remains as to whether it is acceptable to then bring them to God on the Sabbath.

Personally, I feel it is just fine to pay one's tithes in church on Sabbath. However, when the topic came up at church, one fellow believer objected, saying we should not pay tithe on Sabbath.

How readest thou? (Bible text follows.)

Originally Posted By: The Bible
1 Corinthians
16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
16:2 Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
16:3 And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by [your] letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.

Jesus also twice cleansed the temple of its merchants and moneychangers who were making merchandise of the temple service.

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Paying Tithe on the Sabbath [Re: Green Cochoa] #189298
05/07/19 02:21 PM
05/07/19 02:21 PM
N
Nadi  Online Content
NON-SDA
Active Member 2020
Canada
It seems your view of Scripture is producing a plethora of works-based dilemmas. I'm thankful I do not struggle with such minutia.

Also, these questions seem to reflect an early Hebrew-agrarian based economy, an environment we no longer live in. So I struggle with the legitimacy of transplanting specific rules designed for their cultural/economic/religious environment or understanding into our own 3rd millennium world.

The Cross initiated a change in salvation history. Jesus said this himself. "This cup is the new covenant in my blood." (Luke 22:20, Matt. 26:27, 1 Cor. 11:26, Mark 14:23). The Cross was the end of one covenant, and the start of another. Learn what this is, and what it means.

Hint: READ PAUL, NOT ELLEN WHITE!!!!!
Paul says the same thing, only you have been taught to interpret his meaning to agree with your ideas instead of drawing your ideas from Paul.

Reduce "salvation" to its bare essentials--to its core concepts. All Christian denominations, by the way, including SDA, will subscribe to these core beliefs. (These are nicely done for you in some of the early Christian creeds such as the Nicene Creed, but you don't have to use them.)

Find these in Scripture, not EGW. (If EGW agrees with the Bible this should not be troublesome.) Challenge everything, requiring clear statements from Scripture.

From these core concepts build (re-build) your understanding of God, salvation, and the Christian walk.

None of this should frighten one who believes their beliefs are Scriptural, unless, in the back of your mind, there's this little voice saying "Is that really the way it is??" I suspect this is true, because you are asking questions.

I'll be happy to help you with this; just PM me.

Last edited by Nadi; 05/07/19 02:30 PM.

"Our vision is often more obstructed by what we think we know than by our lack of knowledge." K. Stendahl
Re: Paying Tithe on the Sabbath [Re: Nadi] #189305
05/07/19 07:57 PM
05/07/19 07:57 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Nadi
It seems your view of Scripture is producing a plethora of works-based dilemmas. I'm thankful I do not struggle with such minutia.
I tend to agree with you on this point.

Re: Paying Tithe on the Sabbath [Re: Green Cochoa] #189306
05/07/19 08:00 PM
05/07/19 08:00 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
1 Corinthians
16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
16:2 Upon the first [day] of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as [God] hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
16:3 And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by [your] letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.

What is, lay by him in store?
Does Paul come every Sabbath?
When Paul comes, what happens to that laid in reserve?

Quote:
Jesus also twice cleansed the temple of its merchants and moneychangers who were making merchandise of the temple service.
Non-relevant to the issue.

Re: Paying Tithe on the Sabbath [Re: kland] #189308
05/08/19 12:40 AM
05/08/19 12:40 AM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Green Cochoa
1 Corinthians

What is, lay by him in store?
Does Paul come every Sabbath?
When Paul comes, what happens to that laid in reserve?

Quote:
Non-relevant to the issue.

Consider the following passage which shows Ellen White's agreement with Paul. Key phrases are bolded.

Originally Posted By: Ellen White
Not only does the Lord claim the tithe as his own, but he tells us how it should be reserved for him. He says, "Honor the Lord with thy substance, and with the first-fruits of thine increase." This does not teach that we are to spend our means on ourselves, and bring to the Lord the remnant, even though it should be otherwise an honest tithe. Let God's portion be first set apart. The directions given by the Holy Spirit through the apostle Paul, in regard to gifts, present a principle that applies also to tithing. "On the first day of the week, let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him." Parents and children are here included. Not only the rich, but the poor are addressed. "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart [through the candid consideration of God's prescribed plan], so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." The gifts are to be made in consideration of the great goodness of God to us. {RH, November 10, 1896 par. 6}
And what more appropriate time could be chosen for setting aside the tithe and presenting our offerings to God? On the Sabbath we have thought upon his goodness. We have beheld his work in creation as an evidence of his power in redemption. Our hearts are filled with thankfulness for his great love. And now, before the toil of the week begins, we return to him his own, and with it an offering to testify our gratitude. Thus our practise will be a weekly sermon, declaring that God is the possessor of all our property, and that he has made us stewards to use it to his glory. Every acknowledgment of our obligation to God will strengthen the sense of obligation. Gratitude deepens as we give it expression; and the joy it brings is life to soul and body. {RH, November 10, 1896 par. 7}

Question: Which day, the first or the seventh, does Mrs. White intend in saying "what more appropriate time could be chosen . . . ?"

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Paying Tithe on the Sabbath [Re: Green Cochoa] #189310
05/08/19 03:18 AM
05/08/19 03:18 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Question: Which day, the first or the seventh, does Mrs. White intend in saying "what more appropriate time could be chosen . . . ?"

Probably Saturday night, after sundown -- since all day Sabbath "we"
"have thought upon his goodness. We have beheld his work in creation as an evidence of his power in redemption. Our hearts are filled with thankfulness for his great love. And now, before the toil of the week begins, we return to him his own."

But we miss the point if we try to make a rule as to a certain time to do our financial accounting.

Paul, in the verse quoted earlier isn't talking about "taking up the tithe" at all. He is actually telling people to start saving up some money "by them" in their homes, so they could add it to the "ADRA" fund, when he came to collect it.

I think the principle here, is that giving should be planned, and Sabbath shouldn't be our "financial accounting" day -- that should be done prior. Many don't do any "accounting" when it comes to offerings, they hear an appeal and just give what ever change they might have in their pockets, but its better to go home and after the Sabbath, do some budgeting and set apart some funds for God's work.

Actually, my personal take on the scripture in 1 Cor. 16 falls more in line with "systematic giving".
In our culture, most of us live on income that comes in the form of monthly payments. So -- at the first of each month, when that payment comes in, we figure out the tithe, go through the list of offerings we want to contribute to that month and set the full amount apart to put in the offering plate the next Sabbath.

As to taking up offerings on the Sabbath --
Doesn't scripture say we are to bring our gifts to the Sanctuary? (Ps. 96:8)

Re: Paying Tithe on the Sabbath [Re: dedication] #189414
05/18/19 10:21 AM
05/18/19 10:21 AM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: dedication

Probably Saturday night, after sundown -- since all day Sabbath "we"
"have thought upon his goodness. We have beheld his work in creation as an evidence of his power in redemption. Our hearts are filled with thankfulness for his great love. And now, before the toil of the week begins, we return to him his own."

But we miss the point if we try to make a rule as to a certain time to do our financial accounting.

Paul, in the verse quoted earlier isn't talking about "taking up the tithe" at all. He is actually telling people to start saving up some money "by them" in their homes, so they could add it to the "ADRA" fund, when he came to collect it.

I think the principle here, is that giving should be planned, and Sabbath shouldn't be our "financial accounting" day -- that should be done prior. Many don't do any "accounting" when it comes to offerings, they hear an appeal and just give what ever change they might have in their pockets, but its better to go home and after the Sabbath, do some budgeting and set apart some funds for God's work.

Actually, my personal take on the scripture in 1 Cor. 16 falls more in line with "systematic giving".
In our culture, most of us live on income that comes in the form of monthly payments. So -- at the first of each month, when that payment comes in, we figure out the tithe, go through the list of offerings we want to contribute to that month and set the full amount apart to put in the offering plate the next Sabbath.

As to taking up offerings on the Sabbath --
Doesn't scripture say we are to bring our gifts to the Sanctuary? (Ps. 96:8)

This has always concerned me, as it was my understanding that the offering by the Jews was not done on Sabbath, do you know if it was a rule or tradition?

Re: Paying Tithe on the Sabbath [Re: Green Cochoa] #189910
06/29/19 11:13 PM
06/29/19 11:13 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted by Green Cochoa
The Bible indicates that our gifts to God should be done on the first day of the week, not on Sabbath. While I agree that the tithes and offerings could be laid aside on a day other than the Sabbath, the question remains as to whether it is acceptable to then bring them to God on the Sabbath.

Personally, I feel it is just fine to pay one's tithes in church on Sabbath. However, when the topic came up at church, one fellow believer objected, saying we should not pay tithe on Sabbath.

How readest thou? (Bible text follows.)

Originally Posted by The Bible
1 Corinthians

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

SDA immediately disregard Paul's direction and slyly add "let each one of you lay something aside IN THEIR HOMES". They are so sensitively defensive of their sabbath that they cannot imagine that the Churches of Galatia and Corinth would meet to worship God on Sundays.

But Sunday meetings were what Paul was referring to, that when the Church met on the first day of the week, the members were to add to their charity for the saints in Jerusalem so what when he came, he'd simply pick up whatever the Church had collected over the weeks and send the same unto Jerusalem by a suitable courier.

What is wrong with worshiping God on Sundays? Or Wednesday evenings? Or Tuesday mornings, hmmmm SDA? Scared, eh? lol Oh, and as for the question, of course you may bring your offerings to God on any day of the week. They're freewill offerings of gratifude NOT PAYMENTS FOR GOODS/SERVICES DELIVERED.

///

Re: Paying Tithe on the Sabbath [Re: Green Cochoa] #189948
07/02/19 02:03 PM
07/02/19 02:03 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted by Green Cochoa

Originally Posted by Ellen White
Not only does the Lord claim the tithe as his own, but he tells us how it should be reserved for him. He says, "Honor the Lord with thy substance, and with the first-fruits of thine increase." This does not teach that we are to spend our means on ourselves, and bring to the Lord the remnant, even though it should be otherwise an honest tithe. Let God's portion be first set apart. The directions given by the Holy Spirit through the apostle Paul, in regard to gifts, present a principle that applies also to tithing. "On the first day of the week, let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him." Parents and children are here included. Not only the rich, but the poor are addressed. "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart [through the candid consideration of God's prescribed plan], so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." The gifts are to be made in consideration of the great goodness of God to us. {RH, November 10, 1896 par. 6}
And what more appropriate time could be chosen for setting aside the tithe and presenting our offerings to God? On the Sabbath we have thought upon his goodness. We have beheld his work in creation as an evidence of his power in redemption. Our hearts are filled with thankfulness for his great love. And now, before the toil of the week begins, we return to him his own, and with it an offering to testify our gratitude. Thus our practise will be a weekly sermon, declaring that God is the possessor of all our property, and that he has made us stewards to use it to his glory. Every acknowledgment of our obligation to God will strengthen the sense of obligation. Gratitude deepens as we give it expression; and the joy it brings is life to soul and body. {RH, November 10, 1896 par. 7}

Green, continue reading. Chosen to do what? Set aside. It does NOT say, collect the offering.

No Blessings,

KLand

Re: Paying Tithe on the Sabbath [Re: James Peterson] #189950
07/02/19 02:08 PM
07/02/19 02:08 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted by James Peterson

What is wrong with worshiping God on Sundays? Or Wednesday evenings? Or Tuesday mornings, hmmmm SDA?

What does

Ex 20:8 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.
11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
mean to you?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!