HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,603
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 2 invisible), 3,061 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Cut off for Christ: Disfellowshiped for following truth and conscience [Re: Rick H] #189490
05/22/19 05:44 PM
05/22/19 05:44 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted By: Rick H
As for when is one divergent in their beliefs as to NOT be a Adventist IMHO is the wrong question as you can change your badge of denomination and that is when they stop being a member. The real question is when do they have to be separated from the body of believers, and that answer is much clearer, when they begin to teach or lead others away from Gods truth.

I should have said, when one is not "considered" an Adventist by others? That is, to be separated. At what point?

Re: Cut off for Christ: Disfellowshiped for following truth and conscience [Re: kland] #189505
05/22/19 06:13 PM
05/22/19 06:13 PM
J
James Peterson  Offline
NON-SDA
Active Member 2019

Dedicated Member
Canada
Originally Posted By: kland
And what I'd like to know is those who were brought in under the 27, are they now disfellowshipped for not following the 28th or are they grandfathered in?

And... if there were 27 "fundamental beliefs" and now there are 28, then would that mean those who only saw 27 were all in error?

And... does that mean if the number of 27 were wrong, then could it mean that 28 are wrong and there are really 29, or more? What if someone believes in the 33rd one and it has not been "discovered" yet, should they be fellowshipped for being ahead or is it just if you reject one of the past?

And... if the number of 27 were wrong, does that mean possibly any one of those 27 could be wrong in their entirety or partially especially suggested by that some were reworded? Are you grandfathered in a certain wording?

Excellent observations! Roman Catholicism by any other name (e.g. SDA) is just as distasteful. According to Wikipedia, "Pope John Paul II made many apologies. During his long reign as Pope, he apologized to Jews, Galileo, women, people convicted by the Inquisition, Muslims killed by the Crusaders and almost everyone who had allegedly suffered at the hands of the Catholic Church over the years."

Yes, but what good is an apology when one is dead already? And I wonder when the spirit of humility will overtake SDA like that? Then again, what good is an apology when one is dead already?

///

Re: Cut off for Christ: Disfellowshiped for following truth and conscience [Re: kland] #189508
05/22/19 08:03 PM
05/22/19 08:03 PM
Rick H  Offline

Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: kland
Originally Posted By: Rick H
As for when is one divergent in their beliefs as to NOT be a Adventist IMHO is the wrong question as you can change your badge of denomination and that is when they stop being a member. The real question is when do they have to be separated from the body of believers, and that answer is much clearer, when they begin to teach or lead others away from Gods truth.

I should have said, when one is not "considered" an Adventist by others? That is, to be separated. At what point?

You really can't stop being a Adventist, much like once a general or leader of that type, you will always have that. Now if you switch sides, things change, can we say take the example of Benedict Arnold, we all know how he is seen in the history books....

Last edited by Rick H; 05/23/19 03:08 AM.
Re: Cut off for Christ: Disfellowshiped for following truth and conscience [Re: Green Cochoa] #189621
05/30/19 10:24 AM
05/30/19 10:24 AM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
So about leading others away from God's truth, what is "truth"? The 28+ fundamental list? Disagree with one of the list and they should be separated?

Re: Cut off for Christ: Disfellowshiped for following truth and conscience [Re: Green Cochoa] #190044
07/09/19 09:31 PM
07/09/19 09:31 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
I think the part that I was most disappointed with, in hearing of the experience of this couple, is that the church was not truly interested in studying with them. I believe the church was in the wrong in this. Truth can bear investigation. If the church folk think they have the truth, and the couple have error, why should the church fear studying with them? Or, what if it turns out the other way around? Why should the church be afraid of learning something new? In any case, it should be investigated carefully.

Mrs. White has this to say on the matter.
Originally Posted by Ellen White
Truth is eternal, and conflict with error will only make manifest its strength. We should never refuse to examine the Scriptures with those who, we have reason to believe, desire to know what is truth. Suppose a brother held a view that differed from yours, and he should come to you, proposing that you sit down with him and make an investigation of that point in the Scriptures; should you rise up, filled with prejudice, and condemn his ideas, while refusing to give him a candid hearing? The only right way would be to sit down as Christians, and investigate the position presented, in the light of God's work, which will reveal truth and unmask error. To ridicule his ideas would not weaken his position in the least if it were false, or strengthen your position if it were true. If the pillars of our faith will not stand the test of investigation, it is time that we knew it. There must be no spirit of Phariseeism cherished among us. {GW92 127.1}

Quite frankly, if I were in that same church, I would likely be disfellowshiped for the same reasons. Realizing this, and never once ever considering myself to be anything but a pure, dedicated, Adventist in good standing, gives me pause. What is happening to my church? Why are we becoming so dependent on the 28FB, against all reason and inspiration, in place of a "thus saith the Lord"?

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Cut off for Christ: Disfellowshiped for following truth and conscience [Re: Green Cochoa] #190048
07/11/19 02:27 AM
07/11/19 02:27 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted by Green Cochoa
I think the part that I was most disappointed with, in hearing of the experience of this couple, is that the church was not truly interested in studying with them.

Green Cochoa.

When someone with opposing views wants the CHURCH to study with them -- red flags go up!

What is often seen is, that the persons with the opposing views have carefully compiled their "ammunition" and what they want is to have the church as an audience to shoot down a belief and replace it with their understanding. The church members, of course, have not complied anything on the matter, they come with only their general knowledge on the subject. For a lot of people all it does is it raises doubts in their minds, and they leave the study confused,
Some think it's "religious freedom" to enter a community of believers and agitate doubts and confront what they believe -- but in reality it is robbing that community of believers of their religious freedom to worship together without harassment.

We've found, that often, when these opponents are offered PRIVATE Bible studies with a church leader, or given well studied out material to read upholding our view, they don't really want that.

It seems like, on the one hand we talk of "the church" as if it were a person with a collective mind when in reality it is a group of people at different levels of understanding worshipping together.
This couple, from their reports, were quite active promoting their anti-trinitarian findings with church members, thus, yes, the need was felt to make a distinction, to let the church members know (especially the new Adventists) that what was taught was NOT teaching Adventist doctrine.. Even in the pioneer days, they felt a need to define who the teachers/preachers of Adventism were, and who were not teaching the Adventist message.

While the World Wide Adventist Church is held together rather loosely. and yes, the 28 beliefs help hold it together -- we must also realize the structure of each local church.
There are Adventist churches in which major unique doctrines are challenged and nobody is disfellowshipped. Every wind of doctrine is blowing in some churches but no one takes a stand against it. The problem is -- the people may like it that way -- but is it really still and Adventist church?
Then there are other churches who take their beliefs seriously, For them having someone on a mission to belittle their beliefs and seek to change their doctrines, is a very disturbing thing -- it destroys the worship atmosphere of the church. and a separation is drawn.

I realize there is a sensitive line and God's guidance is needed --

Last edited by dedication; 07/11/19 02:38 AM.
Re: Cut off for Christ: Disfellowshiped for following truth and conscience [Re: Green Cochoa] #190049
07/11/19 03:07 AM
07/11/19 03:07 AM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
The 28 FB have become a creed.

Originally Posted by dedication
Even in the pioneer days, they felt a need to define who the teachers/preachers of Adventism were, and who were not teaching the Adventist message.
Today, when we teach what the pioneers taught, you get disfellowshipped.

Point after point of truth should be investigated, for there is no limitation to the truth of God, and in its study a most lively interest should be felt by both teachers and pupils, that they may know what God hath said. For years the voice of God has been saying to us, "Agitate, agitate, agitate." Study every point of truth, that you may know for yourselves what is truth in distinction from error. Let students search for themselves, that they may know the deep things of God. Let this work be done in the Spirit of Christ. Put no restriction upon the students. {SSW, April 1, 1892 par. 4}

In searching the Scriptures there is need of great humility of mind and contrition of heart, of seeking earnestly unto God. Those who come in a lowly spirit, seeking for truth, will be aided in their search by the angels of God. {SSW, April 1, 1892 par. 5}

Often, those that hold a certain point of view, such as the trinity, do not like to discuss the points because the Bible does not sustain their tradition, and and certain Bible verses destroy their arguments, causing a cognitive dissonance. And there are those that have been so indoctrinated in traditional beliefs, they cannot see the truth. And Ezekiel 34 comes to mind, that certainly could not happen in the SdA church now could it? Fortunately, God will shepherd the sheep, He will seek the lost.

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Re: Cut off for Christ: Disfellowshiped for following truth and conscience [Re: dedication] #190053
07/11/19 12:37 PM
07/11/19 12:37 PM
Green Cochoa  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2021

5500+ Member
The Orient
Originally Posted by Green Cochoa
I think the part that I was most disappointed with, in hearing of the experience of this couple, is that the church was not truly interested in studying with them.

Green Cochoa.

When someone with opposing views wants the CHURCH to study with them -- red flags go up!

You'll only have a "red flag" if you don't have a good answer, I suppose. Otherwise, truth will always prevail. Did you read the first sentence of the statement from Mrs. White that I had quoted? And have you read Miller's dream?
Truth is eternal, and conflict with error will only make manifest its strength.

If you have the truth, there's no need to run away and hide, nor to turn a brother away and claim he is apostate--provided, of course, that he has a sincere desire to study and learn what is the truth--just as Mrs. White has said.

What is often seen is, that the persons with the opposing views have carefully compiled their "ammunition" and what they want is to have the church as an audience to shoot down a belief and replace it with their understanding. The church members, of course, have not complied anything on the matter, they come with only their general knowledge on the subject.

Are you afraid that you don't know enough truth? Then you better study! Get on your knees! Seek the truth as for hidden treasure! Don't let anyone else deceive you because you are ignorant.

I am able to study with Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, or anyone else, for that matter, without fear that they will at all weaken my grasp of the truth. Jesus ate with sinners, touched lepers, and was never hurt thereby. He lives as our example.

For a lot of people all it does is it raises doubts in their minds, and they leave the study confused,
Some think it's "religious freedom" to enter a community of believers and agitate doubts and confront what they believe -- but in reality it is robbing that community of believers of their religious freedom to worship together without harassment.

I'm sorry you view it that way. I was brought up to think for myself, have an open mind, yet compare everything to the Bible standard. I was taught not to trust what people would say, but to prove all things by God's Word for myself. If our Adventists are not able to withstand a person or two who raises questions, they will never stand in the trials yet to come. Only those who have fortified their minds with the truths of the Bible will be able to stand in the last great conflict.

We've found, that often, when these opponents are offered PRIVATE Bible studies with a church leader, or given well studied out material to read upholding our view, they don't really want that.

Could it be that without witnesses they might have a legitimate fear of later being misrepresented and mistreated?

It seems like, on the one hand we talk of "the church" as if it were a person with a collective mind when in reality it is a group of people at different levels of understanding worshipping together.
This couple, from their reports, were quite active promoting their anti-trinitarian findings with church members, thus, yes, the need was felt to make a distinction, to let the church members know (especially the new Adventists) that what was taught was NOT teaching Adventist doctrine.. Even in the pioneer days, they felt a need to define who the teachers/preachers of Adventism were, and who were not teaching the Adventist message.

Suppose you learned a new truth that the rest of the church was largely ignorant of. Would you not wish to share it? Should you keep silent? Remember, for example, how the message of Sabbath-keeping came into our ranks. I can imagine some voices in the church expressing solidarity with your ideas here, saying that those pesky Sabbatarians should just keep their personal beliefs to themselves, lest the church become divided over them.

While the World Wide Adventist Church is held together rather loosely. and yes, the 28 beliefs help hold it together -- we must also realize the structure of each local church.
There are Adventist churches in which major unique doctrines are challenged and nobody is disfellowshipped. Every wind of doctrine is blowing in some churches but no one takes a stand against it. The problem is -- the people may like it that way -- but is it really still and Adventist church?

You need to read more of Ellen White.
We have many lessons to learn, and many, many to unlearn. God and heaven alone are infallible. Those who think that they will never have to give up a cherished view, never have occasion to change an opinion, will be disappointed. As long as we hold to our own ideas and opinions with determined persistency, we cannot have the unity for which Christ prayed. {1888 991.7}

Then there are other churches who take their beliefs seriously, For them having someone on a mission to belittle their beliefs and seek to change their doctrines, is a very disturbing thing -- it destroys the worship atmosphere of the church. and a separation is drawn.

I realize there is a sensitive line and God's guidance is needed --

As Mrs. White said in the quote I included above, if you think you won't need to change any of your ideas, and dare I add "doctrines" (Mrs. White didn't use that particular word in this context, but uses "ideas," "view," and "opinions"), you "will be disappointed."

Blessings,

Green Cochoa.

We can receive of heaven's light only as we are willing to be emptied of self. We can discern the character of God, and accept Christ by faith, only as we consent to the bringing into captivity of every thought to the obedience of Christ. And to all who do this, the Holy Spirit is given without measure. In Christ "dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in Him." [Colossians 2:9, 10.] {GW 57.1} -- Ellen White.
Re: Cut off for Christ: Disfellowshiped for following truth and conscience [Re: Green Cochoa] #190057
07/11/19 07:55 PM
07/11/19 07:55 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Green --according to your thoughts above, are you suggesting this forum should allow all our doctrines to be maligned and all manner of "other ideas" to be presented at great length? If the principles you share really apply, may I ask why have you worried about "falsehoods" being posted here -- and even blocked threads based on that reason?

You know there is a point in which those with "different belief" don't really care that ANSWERS are given and that Adventist posters HAVE studied the issues often for several decades!!! Of course we do not have the answer THEY WANT, because they base everything on a totally different platform.
Every issue is built on more complex beliefs and go much deeper than the surface arguments.
You know those discussions go on and on and on and on and on -- nothing is ever resolved.

Is this how our churches should operate?

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Instead of seeing the issue I was addressing it seems you saw it as me saying "I don't know why I believe what I believe" thing.
But that was NOT true.
Yes, we study with all sorts of people without fear, including JW's on the trinity issue. No, I do NOT fear them as to my own experience in finding truth. I love to study scripture and often spend as much time as possible doing so! That's not the issue I was addressing.

The issue is when someone takes objections to our doctrines and wants to study it (not with the pastor or people grounded in our doctrines) but WITH THE MEMBERS of the CHURCH. The issue is with people who arrange meetings with the "weaker" members of the church to "study" the controversial doctrine and influence them according to their view.. People who continually agitate their "different" belief within the THE CHURCH and among the members and bring confusion.

A good example was the influx of Shepherd Rod into our churches. They wanted to study WITH THE CHURCH - it was all about changing Adventist doctrine under a very humble and pious front, and LOTS of EGW quoting. It was a fine example of how people can compile EGW quotes to make her give an endtime scenario that was totally out of harmony with what she was actually writing.
A person could give them a 100 and more answers as to why we don't believe what they were teaching -- did it change what they were doing? No. They would target the "newer" members and invite them to have "bible studies" with them. It got to the place church leaders had to hide the membership list and yes, ask them to leave

So do you think it wrong for pastors and church leaders to think such things need to be dealt with?

Do you really believe "truth will always prevail" in a controversial argument?
Truth will prevail in God's full time, but many will find themselves outside that truth. Church leaders do have a responsibility to keep the influence of falsehoods at a low level, and present truth.

People are disfellowshipped on doctrinal issues -- not so much because they believe differently but as to how they push their ideas on the rest of the church and bring disunity and confusion on the members..

Re: Cut off for Christ: Disfellowshiped for following truth and conscience [Re: Green Cochoa] #190058
07/11/19 08:13 PM
07/11/19 08:13 PM
APL  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2020

5500+ Member
Western, USA
dedication - you afraid of studying the Bible with church members? Amazing! You sound like a conspiracy theorist.

It was a fine example of how people can compile EGW quotes to make her give an endtime scenario that was totally out of harmony with what she was actually writing.
You have never done that, right? Particularly with the issues in the Character of God issues which you so forcibly reject. What I've seen is when the "leaders" of a church cannot answer simple questions raised, they then attack the the one raising questions. They take the side of the pope, and declare what a person is to believe and teach. That is a sad situation.

Peter exhorts his brethren to "grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ." [2 Peter 3:18.] Whenever the people of God are growing in grace, they will be constantly obtaining a clearer understanding of His word. They will discern new light and beauty in its sacred truths. This has been true in the history of the church in all ages, and thus it will continue to the end. But as real spiritual life declines, it has ever been the tendency to cease to advance in the knowledge of the truth. Men rest satisfied with the light already received from God's word, and discourage any further investigation of the Scriptures. They become conservative, and seek to avoid discussion. {GW 297.2}

The fact that there is no controversy or agitation among God's people, should not be regarded as conclusive evidence that they are holding fast to sound doctrine. There is reason to fear that they may not be clearly discriminating between truth and error. When no new questions are started by investigation of the Scriptures, when no difference of opinion arises which will set men to searching the Bible for themselves, to make sure that they have the truth, there will be many now, as in ancient times, who will hold to tradition, and worship they know not what. {GW 298.1}

Oh, that men might open their minds to know God as he is revealed in his Son! {ST, January 20, 1890}
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by dedication. 04/29/24 07:16 PM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!