HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196252
08/17/23 03:55 PM
08/17/23 03:55 PM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I was NOT insulting you -- why would you think because I gave the fuller story of Micah's prophecy, that I was insulting you???
Yes, this conversation is spiraling into personal attacks -- why does it have to do that????

No, I was giving the whole prophecy so hoping that you would see WHY I see that verse describing TWO powers, not just Assyria.

when the Assyrian (Asshur) shall come into our land: and when he shall tread in our palaces, then shall we raise against him seven shepherds, and eight principal men.

The Assyrians (Asshur) would conquer the northern kingdom. And they would enter the land of Judah (they actually conquered all the cities in Judah EXCEPT Jerusalem. But God gave Judah peace -- the promise given Judah was that they would raise up seven shepherds (seven more kings would reign) and seven more kings DID reign after Hezekiah.
And eight more prophets would arise, before they too would lose their crown.

5:6 And they shall waste the land of Assyria (Asshur) with the sword,

Who would waste the land of Assyria.
First, Asshur will be driven back to his borders (God miraculously delivered Jerusalem when it was surrounded by Assyrian armies) and fed to the sword in his own territory. (see 2Kings 19)
Then Assyria would be destroyed in their own territory.
Remember Assyria, when the prophecy is given, was still the world power.

What nation will conquer Assyria by the sword and waste them?
and the land of Nimrod in the entrances thereof: thus shall he deliver [us] from the Assyrian,
Is it not the nation from the land of Nimrod who will stand at the gates of Assyria with the sword.
Babylon destroyed Ninevah and the Assyrian nation. They would molest the nations no more.

and the land of Nimrod in the entrances thereof: thus shall he deliver [us] from the Assyrian, when he cometh into our land, and when he treadeth within our borders.

After wasting the land of Assyrian, Babylon (the land of Nimrod) would tread into the boarders of Judea. (2Kings 20:17)

The remnant of Israel would be scattered amongst many people.

When Babylon came into Judea that part of the prophecy took place -- the remnant (those spared when the Northern kingdom was scattered) would also be scattered amongst many people. For God would give them up (due to their rebellious spirit) but the they were to remember -- the Messiah would come, they were not left without hope.

Though the throne of David was removed, the crown taken away.
Another would come -- the Messiah -- out of Bethlehem.

So -- seems this prophecy isn't talking ONLY about the Assyrians, two different nations scattered the children of Israel.

Assyria AND the land of Nimrod

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196253
08/17/23 04:03 PM
08/17/23 04:03 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by dedication
You will find other websites that will say that as well -- doesn't mean it is true Both sides are presented on the internet.

The problem is most people START from the wrong premise --
They don't realize PREFLOOD religion was being brought back.
So they have to attribute everything to post flood things and add that to the Bible story.

People can translate ASSHUR right out of the Bible and make it read as they see fit.

I don't think so. You are the one with the problem with Hislop and I demonstrated how thorough some of those who have turned against him have done their research.

You have never rebutted the statement from Genesis 10 where scripture is speaking of Nimrod's life.

Gen 10:8? And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.?
Gen 10:9? He was a mighty hunter before the LORD: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the LORD.?
Gen 10:10? And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.?
Gen 10:11? Out of that land went forth Asshur, and builded Nineveh, and the city Rehoboth, and Calah,?
Gen 10:12? And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same is a great city.?
Gen 10:13? And Mizraim begat Ludim, and Anamim, and Lehabim, and Naphtuhim,?

Notice there are five straight verses dealing with Nimod's life before before it moves on with the lineage of Cush. That is not insignificant. It's very significant. For some reason you want to ignore that.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196254
08/17/23 04:26 PM
08/17/23 04:26 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
You just want to argue your position not explore -- so I will leave you for now.

I did explain the texts you now present again, I think I explained it twice already-- but of course not to your satisfaction as it didn't agree with your position.

I don't even have a chance to explain myself without your constant insistences to answer all your challenges and accept your position, while you just shrug off my answers anyway. I see the whole embellishment of Nimrod as ADDING TO SCRIPTURE things that aren't there, so why do I have to spend time showing you that scripture does not say all those things Hislop and you are insisting are the truth? It's all based on human reasoning and assumptions. Which may or may not be true.

Yes, I have many more reasons why I don't accept this. Because I see things in history that if added actually give a much bigger picture. But they can't be shared, for you don't even consider them, just show a constant barging that I accept your views on Nimrod.
Why?
So -- I'm going to leave the subject.
No, I'm not angry, just realizing this is pointless.

BUT maybe you will realize THERE ARE OTHER view points and no, they do not promote or excuse paganism.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196255
08/17/23 04:38 PM
08/17/23 04:38 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
You just want to argue your position not explore -- so I will leave you for now.

I did explain the texts you now present again, I think I explained it twice already-- but of course not to your satisfaction as it didn't agree with your position.

I don't even have a chance to explain myself without your constant insistences to answer all your challenges and accept your position, while you just shrug off my answers anyway. I see the whole embellishment of Nimrod as ADDING TO SCRIPTURE things that aren't there, so why do I have to spend time showing you that scripture does not say all those things Hislop and you are insisting are the truth? It's all based on human reasoning and assumptions. Which may or may not be true.

Yes, I have many more reasons why I don't accept this. Because I see things in history that if added actually give a much bigger picture. But they can't be shared, for you don't even consider them, just show a constant barging that I accept your views on Nimrod.
Why?
So -- I'm going to leave the subject.
No, I'm not angry, just realizing this is pointless.

BUT maybe you will realize THERE ARE OTHER view points and no, they do not promote or excuse paganism.

You can do as you please. I just think it odd that a SDA who quotes Ellen White and scripture finds Hislop to excuse paganism. ***shakes head in wonder***

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196256
08/17/23 05:38 PM
08/17/23 05:38 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada

Originally Posted by Garywk
You can do as you please. I just think it odd that a SDA who quotes Ellen White and scripture finds Hislop to excuse paganism/

When people OVER do something by moving from the clearly seen falseness of the matter into assembling a lot of questionable sources and assumptions, to over emphases that position, it can do a lot of damage.

Atheisms thrives on the concepts presented in the book
!
See, they will say -- even the title of the book says it proves Christian practices and beliefs came from pagan Babylonian religion not from Christ or the Bible. Do they differentiate and think this is only talking about certain practices and beliefs in Roman Catholicism? (The title does say Roman Catholicism) No, they are quite eager to throw out ALL stories of a Divine Being being born of woman. Stories of the cross -- that's all paganism, thus the cross is foolishness to them.

Satan counterfeited the true. The counterfeits, yes they are false, deceptive and wrong. But the truth is life and light. The baby gets thrown out with the washwater and hope is gone.

I think eternity will only tell!
How many were brought to truth by that book? (Yes there will be some)
How many were made to feel the cross is foolishness and the incarnation just another myth from paganism as a result and be lost? (I'm afraid there will multitudes)

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196257
08/17/23 06:57 PM
08/17/23 06:57 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa

Originally Posted by Garywk
You can do as you please. I just think it odd that a SDA who quotes Ellen White and scripture finds Hislop to excuse paganism/

When people OVER do something by moving from the clearly seen falseness of the matter into assembling a lot of questionable sources and assumptions, to over emphases that position, it can do a lot of damage.

Atheisms thrives on the concepts presented in the book
!
See, they will say -- even the title of the book says it proves Christian practices and beliefs came from pagan Babylonian religion not from Christ or the Bible. Do they differentiate and think this is only talking about certain practices and beliefs in Roman Catholicism? (The title does say Roman Catholicism) No, they are quite eager to throw out ALL stories of a Divine Being being born of woman. Stories of the cross -- that's all paganism, thus the cross is foolishness to them.

Satan counterfeited the true. The counterfeits, yes they are false, deceptive and wrong. But the truth is life and light. The baby gets thrown out with the washwater and hope is gone.

I think eternity will only tell!
How many were brought to truth by that book? (Yes there will be some)
How many were made to feel the cross is foolishness and the incarnation just another myth from paganism as a result and be lost? (I'm afraid there will multitudes)

Yeah, they say the same about the Catholic church. In fact Catholics are the only ones I've seen display your attitude toward Hislop's book as they know it attacks the very foundations of their religion. Like I have said, I find your attitude towards Hislop very odd, Catholic anti Hislop comments are all over the internet and I've run across them on Christian Forums and among Sunday keepers too as they know it attacks the foundation of their religion also.

I do agree with you on one thing though, eternity will tell.

Last edited by Garywk; 08/17/23 06:59 PM.
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196258
08/17/23 07:25 PM
08/17/23 07:25 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
I have another couple of very interesting link and a quote from Hislop.

* A scholiast on the Periergesis of Dionysius, says Layard (Nineveh and its Remains), makes
Semiramis the same as the goddess Artemis or Despoina. Now, Artemis was Diana, and the
title of Despoina given to her, shows that it was in the character of the Ephesian Diana she
was identified with Semiramis; for Despoina is the Greek for Domina, "The Lady," the peculiar
title of Rhea or Cybele, the tower-bearing goddess, in ancient Rome. (OVID, Fasti)
When, therefore, we remember that Rhea or Cybele, the tower-bearing goddess,
was, in point of fact, a Babylonian goddess, and that Semiramis, when deified, was
worshipped under the name of Rhea, there will remain, I think, no doubt as to the personal
identity of the "goddess of fortifications."

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Diana-Roman-religion

Act 19:26? Moreover ye see and hear, that not alone at Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away much people, saying that they be no gods, which are made with hands:?
Act 19:27? So that not only this our craft is in danger to be set at nought; but also that the temple of the great goddess Diana should be despised, and her magnificence should be destroyed, whom all Asia and the world worshippeth.?
Act 19:28? And when they heard these sayings, they were full of wrath, and cried out, saying, Great is Diana of the Ephesians.?

https://theredseeds.wordpress.com/2016/11/09/cybeles-heart-h-in-the-tower-%E2%9D%A4%EF%B8%8F/

Last edited by Garywk; 08/17/23 07:29 PM.
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196265
08/18/23 05:48 PM
08/18/23 05:48 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Firstly I see agreement on these basic foundational facts
Paganism, idol worship, heathen practices and especially dealing with the so called ?departed spirits of the dead? are all an abomination to the Lord. Paganism, to a large extent is dealing with ?departed spirits of the dead? which are really demons pretending to be these departed dead.
A worship of idols, like those of Diana, (and a whole host of others that were revered) is obviously an abomination to the Lord.
There is no question that these things are evil. Scripture ambly confirms this.
It's also true that Pagan ideas and practices have been accepted into Christian churches to the point Revelation 18 declares the fallen church is full of evil spirits.
Thus, I have never said Hislop?s book is all wrong.

There is a big difference in saying Hislop is all wrong (which I've never said) and saying that there are problems with some of his historical conclusions and his attempt to link everything with cherry picked parallels that seem to make everything the same.

Consider a conversion a protestant teacher has with a Catholic lady, who is very attached to her concepts of "mary".

PT: Let me show you where this "revering of mary" comes from:

CL: As far as I see from scripture, Mary was the mother of Jesus, and highly honored.

PT: Yes, she was His mother, but as to being honored, Here, see there was this Semiramis, married to Nimrod who had a son Thammuz, and all through history they've been honored as gods.

CL: I've heard of Nimrod, but who is Semiramis?

PT She's the one who originated the whole idea of mother/child worship we see in all the pagan religions. (Goes on to show parallels of several different ancient mother goddesses , complete with pictures of them)

CL: Hmm. But both the mother and the child were worshipped, right? So if this proves that worshipping the mother is evil, then worshipping the child would also be evil? Pagans worshipped both the mother and the child. In fact the child grew up, was killed and gets resurrected in a lot of those pagan god stories. The parallels fit both?

PT: Oh no, it's just worshipping Mary that's evil. Jesus is the Son of God, He is good and righteous, not evil like those pagan sons of goddesses.

CL: But Mary is His mother and she is good and righteous as well, Those other goddesses in antiquity were evil, licentious, into prostitution, they weren't good. Mary isn't at all like them, she is good, she is calling people to forsake sin and worship God, and she will help us do that.
If you're telling me those pagan goddesses represent Mary, than Tammuz must also represent Jesus and we need to stop worshipping Him?

That's why simply drawing parallels is wrong. Of course, we believe Christ is our Lord and Savior,
not Tammuz. But if one follows the parallel style of logic, they end up seeing Christ as just another "Tammuz".
Also, there were many different "goddess"(and gods) created from memories of some renowned ancestor. While they may have parallels (people admired certain attributes in their gods and goddesses) yet they differ one from the other, there's no need to make them all the same.
The only real parallel between them all, was that people believed in "spirits of the departed dead" as being gods. The parallel isn't that they were all Semiramis.

The way to show the evil of paganism is to define it as Satan's COUNTERFEITS.
In order to hide the true birth and mission of Christ, {Who is the Word, Who from the beginning time everlasting, was with God and was God, and was with God. and became flesh and dwelt among us. (John 1)} Satan kept all manner of pagan counterfeits going, so when the true came, people just placed it in the realms of paganism and didn't recognize it.

Satan uses all manner of deceptive strategies. His biggest lie is that people can become "gods". All his "gods" emerged from people who supposedly ascended into godhood. Thus he made Mary into a "god" using that same lie. But with the same brush made Christ less than "God".

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196266
08/18/23 09:27 PM
08/18/23 09:27 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Firstly I see agreement on these basic foundational facts
Paganism, idol worship, heathen practices and especially dealing with the so called ?departed spirits of the dead? are all an abomination to the Lord. Paganism, to a large extent is dealing with ?departed spirits of the dead? which are really demons pretending to be these departed dead.
A worship of idols, like those of Diana, (and a whole host of others that were revered) is obviously an abomination to the Lord.
There is no question that these things are evil. Scripture ambly confirms this.
It's also true that Pagan ideas and practices have been accepted into Christian churches to the point Revelation 18 declares the fallen church is full of evil spirits.
Thus, I have never said Hislop?s book is all wrong.

There is a big difference in saying Hislop is all wrong (which I've never said) and saying that there are problems with some of his historical conclusions and his attempt to link everything with cherry picked parallels that seem to make everything the same.

Consider a conversion a protestant teacher has with a Catholic lady, who is very attached to her concepts of "mary".

PT: Let me show you where this "revering of mary" comes from:

CL: As far as I see from scripture, Mary was the mother of Jesus, and highly honored.

PT: Yes, she was His mother, but as to being honored, Here, see there was this Semiramis, married to Nimrod who had a son Thammuz, and all through history they've been honored as gods.

CL: I've heard of Nimrod, but who is Semiramis?

PT She's the one who originated the whole idea of mother/child worship we see in all the pagan religions. (Goes on to show parallels of several different ancient mother goddesses , complete with pictures of them)

CL: Hmm. But both the mother and the child were worshipped, right? So if this proves that worshipping the mother is evil, then worshipping the child would also be evil? Pagans worshipped both the mother and the child. In fact the child grew up, was killed and gets resurrected in a lot of those pagan god stories. The parallels fit both?

PT: Oh no, it's just worshipping Mary that's evil. Jesus is the Son of God, He is good and righteous, not evil like those pagan sons of goddesses.

CL: But Mary is His mother and she is good and righteous as well, Those other goddesses in antiquity were evil, licentious, into prostitution, they weren't good. Mary isn't at all like them, she is good, she is calling people to forsake sin and worship God, and she will help us do that.
If you're telling me those pagan goddesses represent Mary, than Tammuz must also represent Jesus and we need to stop worshipping Him?

That's why simply drawing parallels is wrong. Of course, we believe Christ is our Lord and Savior,
not Tammuz. But if one follows the parallel style of logic, they end up seeing Christ as just another "Tammuz".
Also, there were many different "goddess"(and gods) created from memories of some renowned ancestor. While they may have parallels (people admired certain attributes in their gods and goddesses) yet they differ one from the other, there's no need to make them all the same.
The only real parallel between them all, was that people believed in "spirits of the departed dead" as being gods. The parallel isn't that they were all Semiramis.

The way to show the evil of paganism is to define it as Satan's COUNTERFEITS.
In order to hide the true birth and mission of Christ, {Who is the Word, Who from the beginning time everlasting, was with God and was God, and was with God. and became flesh and dwelt among us. (John 1)} Satan kept all manner of pagan counterfeits going, so when the true came, people just placed it in the realms of paganism and didn't recognize it.

Satan uses all manner of deceptive strategies. His biggest lie is that people can become "gods". All his "gods" emerged from people who supposedly ascended into godhood. Thus he made Mary into a "god" using that same lie. But with the same brush made Christ less than "God".

So because of a hypothetical argument you will condemn someone's writings? What about the hypothetical argument of a Mormon against Ellen White? Well, they're both prophets so what's the difference? You believe Ellen White is a true prophet and and I believe Joseph Smith is. So what's the big deal?

Your examples are pretty weak as an argument.

Last edited by Garywk; 08/18/23 09:28 PM.
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: Garywk] #196268
08/19/23 03:16 AM
08/19/23 03:16 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted by graywk
What about the hypothetical argument of a Mormon against Ellen White? Well, they're both prophets so what's the difference?

You just proved my point. That's why simply drawing parallels is wrong.
There has to be a greater discerning measuring rod, parallelism is the weak argument.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!