HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,633
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,342 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196371
08/29/23 07:23 PM
08/29/23 07:23 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here is the full explanation by Hislop as to his interpretation of Genesis 10.

The conclusions deduced from these testimonies of ancient history are greatly strengthened
by many additional considerations. In Genesis 10:11, we find a passage, which, when its
meaning is properly understood, casts a very steady light on the subject. That passage, as
given in the authorised version, runs thus: "Out of that land went forth Asshur, and builded
Nineveh." This speaks of it as something remarkable, that Asshur went out of the land of
Shinar, while yet the human race in general went forth from the same land. It goes upon the
supposition that Asshur had some sort of divine right to that land, and that he had been, in a
manner, expelled from it by Nimrod, while no divine right is elsewhere hinted at in the context,
or seems capable of proof. Moreover, it represents Asshur as setting up in the IMMEDIATE
NEIGHBOURHOOD of Nimrod as mighty a kingdom as Nimrod himself, Asshur building four
cities, one of which is emphatically said to have been "great" (v 12); while Nimrod, on this
interpretation, built just the same number of cities, of which none is specially characterised as
"great." Now, it is in the last degree improbable that Nimrod would have quietly borne so
mighty a rival so near him. To obviate such difficulties as these, it has been proposed to
render the words, "out of that land he (Nimrod) went forth into Asshur, or Assyria." But then,
according to ordinary usage of grammar, the word in the original should have been "Ashurah,"
with the sign of motion to a place affixed to it, whereas it is simply Asshur, without any such
sign of motion affixed. I am persuaded that the whole perplexity that commentators have
hitherto felt in considering this passage, has arisen from supposing that there is a proper
name in the passage, where in reality no proper name exists. Asshur is the passive participle
of a verb, which, in its Chaldee sense, signifies "to make strong," and, consequently, signifies
"being strengthened," or "made strong." Read thus, the whole passage is natural and easy (v
10), "And the beginning of his (Nimrod's) kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and

Calneh." A beginning naturally implies something to succeed, and here we find it (v 11): "Out
of that land he went forth, being made strong, or when he had been made strong (Ashur), and
builded Nineveh," &c. Now, this exactly agrees with the statement in the ancient history of
Justin: "Ninus strengthened the greatness of his acquired dominion by continued possession.
Having subdued, therefore, his neighbours, when, by an accession of forces, being still further
strengthened, he went forth against other tribes, and every new victory paved the way for
another, he subdued all the peoples of the East." Thus, then, Nimrod, or Ninus, was the
builder of Nineveh; and the origin of the name of that city, as "the habitation of Ninus," is
accounted for, * and light is thereby, at the same time, cast on the fact, that the name of the
chief part of the ruins of Nineveh is Nimroud at this day.

His reasoning makes sense to me as it agrees with historians and makes an unclear Bible passage clear.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196373
08/30/23 04:45 AM
08/30/23 04:45 AM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The full explanation of ANYTHING for the first 600 or so years after the flood is all based on supposition and human "maybes".
The ONLY reliable thing we can know for sure is what the Bible gives during that time period., and even that is fairly sketchy.
Even "historians" writing still before Christ, but some 2000 years after the flood, were only "supposing".

Everything I read -- no matter if Hislop wrote it or some other person wrote it, is based on
implications, suppositions, what someone THINKS makes sense, -- there are no hard facts.

For example:
A couple days ago we read a report that they found some graves by the ancient pyramids.
Someone in that report suggested these were the graves of the workers or builders of pyramids. It was written as such in National Geographic's --
Soon someone else writes it as if it were fact. Then another historian puts it into his book. Oh-- so now it's proven, look there are several who have written it as such. No it's not proven at all. They found some graves near the pyramids and reasoned out their story. There is no proof at all that these were the workers building the pyramids. We don't know who was buried in those graves, it's mere supposition no matter how many now say it was the workers building those pyrimids.

In fact (yes this is fact) historians are baffled by a lot of things ( how the ancients built those pyramids in the first place, being just one of them)

But that's how all this this so called "proof" supposing that Hislop is correct concerning the beginning of things, is also based upon.
I'm sure you can find someone, somewhere that agrees with specific points Hislop makes (though that same writer that agrees on one point, may disagree with other historical implications Hislop makes as well).

THE PROBLEM is that historians DON'T KNOW what happened in those first centuries after the flood.

1. Almost ALL believe the ancients were primitive people with limited advanced skills.
So they build their implications and conclusions of what happened from that perspective.
2. Many don't even believe in a world wide flood, just a localized flood, if they believe in a flood at all.
That again renders a lot of different implications as to what happened.
3. Most don't believe Noah and his three sons brought a lot skill and knowledge with them from the old preflood culture with them.
4. Almost ALL history stretches that time period over millenniums,(thousands of years) not just six or seven centuries. Again deducing a lot of conclusions that raise more questions than answers.

So yes, many have their theories of what happened, and they may even agree somewhat, (at least on various points) with each other.
But the mystery remains -- a lot of mysteries suggesting world wide activity in which people did things modern scientists tell us mankind only found out could be done in recent years. After the flood -- there was a great resurgence of knowledge, that then got lost.

If you want to follow Hislop - that's your privilege, but don't imply it's the "full explanation" of what took place immediately after the flood, nor that others agree, having seen plenty of reasons to think differently. I suspect we have no real idea of what actually took place in those centuries, before God called Abraham.

And for some reason, God didn't see it as necessary to enlighten us any further in His Word, on what went on during those years. Just that there was an apostacy and that He called a family to preserve His truth for the world through them.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196374
08/30/23 11:56 AM
08/30/23 11:56 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by dedication
The full explanation of ANYTHING for the first 600 or so years after the flood is all based on supposition and human "maybes".
The ONLY reliable thing we can know for sure is what the Bible gives during that time period., and even that is fairly sketchy.
Even "historians" writing still before Christ, but some 2000 years after the flood, were only "supposing".

Everything I read -- no matter if Hislop wrote it or some other person wrote it, is based on
implications, suppositions, what someone THINKS makes sense, -- there are no hard facts.

For example:
A couple days ago we read a report that they found some graves by the ancient pyramids.
Someone in that report suggested these were the graves of the workers or builders of pyramids. It was written as such in National Geographic's --
Soon someone else writes it as if it were fact. Then another historian puts it into his book. Oh-- so now it's proven, look there are several who have written it as such. No it's not proven at all. They found some graves near the pyramids and reasoned out their story. There is no proof at all that these were the workers building the pyramids. We don't know who was buried in those graves, it's mere supposition no matter how many now say it was the workers building those pyrimids.

In fact (yes this is fact) historians are baffled by a lot of things ( how the ancients built those pyramids in the first place, being just one of them)

But that's how all this this so called "proof" supposing that Hislop is correct concerning the beginning of things, is also based upon.
I'm sure you can find someone, somewhere that agrees with specific points Hislop makes (though that same writer that agrees on one point, may disagree with other historical implications Hislop makes as well).

THE PROBLEM is that historians DON'T KNOW what happened in those first centuries after the flood.

1. Almost ALL believe the ancients were primitive people with limited advanced skills.
So they build their implications and conclusions of what happened from that perspective.
2. Many don't even believe in a world wide flood, just a localized flood, if they believe in a flood at all.
That again renders a lot of different implications as to what happened.
3. Most don't believe Noah and his three sons brought a lot skill and knowledge with them from the old preflood culture with them.
4. Almost ALL history stretches that time period over millenniums,(thousands of years) not just six or seven centuries. Again deducing a lot of conclusions that raise more questions than answers.

So yes, many have their theories of what happened, and they may even agree somewhat, (at least on various points) with each other.
But the mystery remains -- a lot of mysteries suggesting world wide activity in which people did things modern scientists tell us mankind only found out could be done in recent years. After the flood -- there was a great resurgence of knowledge, that then got lost.

If you want to follow Hislop - that's your privilege, but don't imply it's the "full explanation" of what took place immediately after the flood, nor that others agree, having seen plenty of reasons to think differently. I suspect we have no real idea of what actually took place in those centuries, before God called Abraham.

And for some reason, God didn't see it as necessary to enlighten us any further in His Word, on what went on during those years. Just that there was an apostacy and that He called a family to preserve His truth for the world through them.

Why do you use terms I have never used and say things I have never even come close to implying? I have never said I have a full explanation for anything. What I said was here was Hislop's full explanation for Genesis 10. I see your usage of that term in the context I used it as dishonest. I have also never said anyone "has to agree with me" either.

I have consistently said that here is more support for Hislop.when I have posted evidence that supports him. Then you come along and put the word proof in quotes as if I had used the word. I haven't, and see your behavior as dishonest. If I remember correctly you asked me if I had evidence from reputable sources to support Hislop. Well, I've found that and it seems to me you're angry that I did by the way you're behaving.

Last edited by Garywk; 08/30/23 11:57 AM.
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196375
08/30/23 06:08 PM
08/30/23 06:08 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Just showing there are other evidences of early history immediately after the flood.
Originally Posted by Dedication
But the mystery remains -- a lot of mysteries suggesting world wide activity in which people did things modern scientists tell us mankind only found out could be done in recent years. After the flood -- there was a great resurgence of knowledge, that then got lost

....historians are baffled by a lot of things ( how the ancients built those pyramids in the first place, being just one of them.

February 1993 Robert Bauval and several others who had been studying and research the pyramids, returned for more extensive study of these awesome structures from antiquity. The reason for the trip was mainly to study the shafts in the Queen's Chamber of Cheops's Pyramid, as well as other shafts in the great pyramids.
Cheops Pyramid is unique; not only is it the largest and most geometrically perfect of them all, but, unlike the others, it contains a elaborate system of above ground chambers. ....Rudolf Gantenbrink had just arrived with two colleagues...they would resume exploration in the southern shaft of the Queen's Chamber....Rudolf's interest in Egyptology had begun when he heard of the shafts and realized that his robots could help in this sort of exploration....He promised to send me his new measurements on the slopes of the shafts and hinted that Petrie's (who had measured them earlier) were not quite right.

It's too much to quote the whole experience as recorded in the book "The Orion Mystery" pages 172-178,
But what they confirmed and new things they discovered were these.

PICTURE
1. Three shafts locked in perfectly to the stars as they stood in the epoch of 2450 BC.
The south shaft of the King's Chamber was targeted to Al Nitak (Zeta Orionis) the first star on the belt of Orion. The north shaft of the King's Chamber was targeted at at Alpha Draconis
The south shaft of the Queen's Chamber was targeted at Sirius.
The last (fourth shaft) they now realized pointed to a star in the Ursu

2. The other thing they discovered were these shafts were closed by slabs with hinges or fittings made of COPPER. From mining to the finished product, there are many steps involved in producing copper.

Of course general historians are skeptical -- all this doesn't fit the popular historic story.

It however supports several principles in understanding early history after the flood.

1. Bible chronologies' tend to place the flood in the year 2348 BC
oops -- that places the building of the Giza pyramids about 100 years before the flood, BUT then, 2348 BC is not a fact, it is a reasonable calculation and could easily be out several hundred years.

If the 2450 date for building the pyramids is correct (calculated according to the stars), and the flood date is correct within a 200 margin of miscalculation , it means the Giza pyramids were built very, very soon after the flood, like, in the first 100-200 years after the flood.

2. Population being still limited to the first two or three generations after the flood, means they had technology we don't even know about today, to harness the energies of the earth to produce and mount those massive yet precisely cut stones.

3. They had knowledge in regards to the bodies of heaven.''
4. They had knowledge in how to produce copper and other refined metals.

The mystery continues -- how did a small group build these huge structures? Now some might say the flood happened several a few thousand years earlier, and the whole Nimrod, Babel as well as the evidence of ice age, and civilizations that rose and mysteriously disappeared due to the ice and other factors, like the tremendous wars depicted in various legends; It often seems it took more than the six hundred or so years between the Flood and Abraham.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196376
08/30/23 06:23 PM
08/30/23 06:23 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Just showing there are other evidences of early history immediately after the flood.
Originally Posted by Dedication
But the mystery remains -- a lot of mysteries suggesting world wide activity in which people did things modern scientists tell us mankind only found out could be done in recent years. After the flood -- there was a great resurgence of knowledge, that then got lost

....historians are baffled by a lot of things ( how the ancients built those pyramids in the first place, being just one of them.

February 1993 Robert Bauval and several others who had been studying and research the pyramids, returned for more extensive study of these awesome structures from antiquity. The reason for the trip was mainly to study the shafts in the Queen's Chamber of Cheops's Pyramid, as well as other shafts in the great pyramids.
Cheops Pyramid is unique; not only is it the largest and most geometrically perfect of them all, but, unlike the others, it contains a elaborate system of above ground chambers. ....Rudolf Gantenbrink had just arrived with two colleagues...they would resume exploration in the southern shaft of the Queen's Chamber....Rudolf's interest in Egyptology had begun when he heard of the shafts and realized that his robots could help in this sort of exploration....He promised to send me his new measurements on the slopes of the shafts and hinted that Petrie's (who had measured them earlier) were not quite right.

It's too much to quote the whole experience as recorded in the book "The Orion Mystery" pages 172-178,
But what they confirmed and new things they discovered were these.

PICTURE
1. Three shafts locked in perfectly to the stars as they stood in the epoch of 2450 BC.
The south shaft of the King's Chamber was targeted to Al Nitak (Zeta Orionis) the first star on the belt of Orion. The north shaft of the King's Chamber was targeted at at Alpha Draconis
The south shaft of the Queen's Chamber was targeted at Sirius.
The last (fourth shaft) they now realized pointed to a star in the Ursu

2. The other thing they discovered were these shafts were closed by slabs with hinges or fittings made of COPPER. From mining to the finished product, there are many steps involved in producing copper.

Of course general historians are skeptical -- all this doesn't fit the popular historic story.

It however supports several principles in understanding early history after the flood.

1. Bible chronologies' tend to place the flood in the year 2348 BC
oops -- that places the building of the Giza pyramids about 100 years before the flood, BUT then, 2348 BC is not a fact, it is a reasonable calculation and could easily be out several hundred years.

If the 2450 date for building the pyramids is correct (calculated according to the stars), and the flood date is correct within a 200 margin of miscalculation , it means the Giza pyramids were built very, very soon after the flood, like, in the first 100-200 years after the flood.

2. Population being still limited to the first two or three generations after the flood, means they had technology we don't even know about today, to harness the energies of the earth to produce and mount those massive yet precisely cut stones.

3. They had knowledge in regards to the bodies of heaven.''
4. They had knowledge in how to produce copper and other refined metals.

The mystery continues -- how did a small group build these huge structures? Now some might say the flood happened several a few thousand years earlier, and the whole Nimrod, Babel as well as the evidence of ice age, and civilizations that rose and mysteriously disappeared due to the ice and other factors, like the tremendous wars depicted in various legends; It often seems it took more than the six hundred or so years between the Flood and Abraham.

So? What does that have to do with anything to do with Hislop? Noorbergen often states things happened 5000 years ago and places them post flood, and he as an SDA.

I see you have ignored my complaints of your dishonesty. ***shakes head in wonder*** Not even a hint of an apology.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196377
08/30/23 07:15 PM
08/30/23 07:15 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted by graywk
If I remember correctly you asked me if I had evidence from reputable sources to support Hislop.

Don't remember asking for that.
I did mention much of Hislop's weaving together of the story concerning the early years just after the flood, is based on legends. Other's have also tried to match legends to actually history, so I don't see that as anything more than that they are trying to figure out as well. So no, I don't believe they PROVE facts as to how it all developed. It's all supposition, people trying to figure out what happened.

Sure they take things from archeological finds and later history that they have records from to deduce their stories of early history, but we don't know what actually took place in those early years. Everyone looks to see what makes sense to them -- what makes sense depends on how they view history in general.

Here are phrases from the quotes presented showing it's based on his reasoning, not on actual presented facts.

The conclusions deduced
It goes upon the supposition
improbable that

And no, I'm not into proving or disproving Hislop.
Obviously that is your main concern, it's not mine.

The point is -- we don't really know, much of what happened those early years -- we only suppose from bits and pieces.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196378
08/30/23 08:53 PM
08/30/23 08:53 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here are some very interesting statements by Hislop.

The guilt of idolatry is by many regarded as comparatively slight and insignificant
guilt. But not so does the God of heaven regard it. Which is the commandment of all the ten
that is fenced about with the most solemn and awful sanctions? It is the second: "Thou shalt
not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in the heaven
above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: thou shalt not
bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting
the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that
hate me." These words were spoken by God's own lips, they were written by God's own finger
on the tables of stone: not for the instruction of the seed of Abraham only, but of all the tribes
and generations of mankind. No other commandment has such a threatening attached to it as
this.
Now, if God has threatened to visit the SIN OF IDOLATRY ABOVE ALL OTHER
SINS, and if we find the heavy judgments of God pressing upon us as a nation, while this very
sin is crying to heaven against us, ought it not to be a matter of earnest inquiry, if among all
our other national sins, which are both many and great, this may not form "the very head and
front of our offending"? What though we do not ourselves bow down to stocks and stones?
Yet if we, making a profession the very opposite, encourage, and foster, and maintain that
very idolatry which God has so fearfully threatened with His wrath, our guilt, instead of being
the less, is only so much the greater, for it is a sin against the light. Now, the facts are
manifest to all men.
It is notorious, that in 1845 anti-Christian idolatry was incorporated in the British
Constitution, in a way in which for a century and a half it had not been incorporated before. It
is equally notorious, that ever since, the nation has been visited with one succession of
judgments after another. Ought we then to regard this coincidence as merely accidental?
Ought we not rather to see in it the fulfilment of the threatening pronounced by God in the
Apocalypse? This is at this moment an intensely practical subject. If our sin in this matter is
not nationally recognised, if it is not penitently confessed, if it is not put away from us; if, on
the contrary, we go on increasing it, if now for the first time since the Revolution, while so
manifestly dependent on the God of battles for the success of our arms, we affront Him to His
face by sending idol priests into our camp, then, though we have national fasts, and days of
humiliation without number, they cannot be accepted; they may procure us a temporary
respite, but we may be certain that "the Lord's anger will not be turned away, His hand will be
stretched out still."

The Crimean War was won by the allies:Britain, France, and the Ottoman Empire. However British leadershio made some spectacular failures. The charge of the light brigade and the failure to follow up on a defeat of the Russian army in the battle for Sevastopol.which the Russians said was critical in saving their army were two of them.

Last edited by Garywk; 08/30/23 08:54 PM.
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196379
08/31/23 12:02 AM
08/31/23 12:02 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by graywk
If I remember correctly you asked me if I had evidence from reputable sources to support Hislop.

Don't remember asking for that.
I did mention much of Hislop's weaving together of the story concerning the early years just after the flood, is based on legends. Other's have also tried to match legends to actually history, so I don't see that as anything more than that they are trying to figure out as well. So no, I don't believe they PROVE facts as to how it all developed. It's all supposition, people trying to figure out what happened.

Sure they take things from archeological finds and later history that they have records from to deduce their stories of early history, but we don't know what actually took place in those early years. Everyone looks to see what makes sense to them -- what makes sense depends on how they view history in general.

Here are phrases from the quotes presented showing it's based on his reasoning, not on actual presented facts.

The conclusions deduced
It goes upon the supposition
improbable that

And no, I'm not into proving or disproving Hislop.
Obviously that is your main concern, it's not mine.

The point is -- we don't really know, much of what happened those early years -- we only suppose from bits and pieces.

No, you didn't use those exact words, but you communicated that idea,

be of interest for you to read the original of Hislop's sources. Like Diodorus depiction of Ninus and Semirumus, he doesn't call Ninus, Nimrod, and it's quite obvious Ninus and Semirumus lived quite a time after Nimrod. Semirumus didn't just pile a few bricks around Babylon. Her Babylon matches the great Babylon that Nebuchnezzar built.
Was Babylon that grand way back four hundred years after the flood?

I have shown from reputable historians, several of them Christians, all that you said didn't happen did happen.

So because Hislop is honest and says he makes deductions what he says is wrong? Implied logic is sound reasoning. The Bible teaches us to use it as Isaiah says precept upon precept, line upon line. Here a little and there a little..Hislop does just that.

Last edited by Garywk; 08/31/23 12:04 AM.
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196384
08/31/23 01:03 PM
08/31/23 01:03 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here is more in support of Hislop.

Yea, on the other side of the Atlantic, in Mexico, the same doctrine of baptismal
regeneration was found in full vigour among the natives, when Cortez and his warriors landed
on their shores. The ceremony of Mexican baptism, which was beheld with astonishment by
the Spanish Roman Catholic missionaries, is thus strikingly described in Prescott's Conquest
of Mexico: "When everything necessary for the baptism had been made ready, all the
relations of the child were assembled, and the midwife, who was the person that performed
the rite of baptism, * was summoned. At early dawn, they met together in the courtyard of the
house. When the sun had risen, the midwife, taking the child in her arms, called for a little
earthen vessel of water, while those about her placed the ornaments, which had been
prepared for baptism, in the midst of the court.

From Prescott's book History of the Conquest of Mexico.

That the reader may see for himself how like, yet how unlike, the Aztec rite was to the Christian, I give the translation of Sahagun?s account, at length: ?When everything necessary for the baptism had been made ready, all the relations of the child were assembled, and the midwife, who was the person that performed the rite of baptism, was summoned. At early dawn, they met together in the court-yard of the house. When the sun had risen, the midwife, taking the child in her arms, called for a little earthen vessel of water, while those about her placed the ornaments which had been prepared for the baptism in the midst of the court. To perform the rite of baptism, she placed herself with her face towards the west, and immediately began to go through certain ceremonies.... After this she sprinkled water on the head of the infant, saying, ?O my child! take and receive the water of the Lord of the world, which is our life, and is given for the increasing and renewing of our body. It is to wash and to purify. I pray that these heavenly drops may enter into your body, and dwell there; that they may destroy and remove from you all the evil and sin which was given to you before the beginning of the world; since all of us are under its power, being all the children of Chalchivitlycue? [the goddess of water]. She then washed the body of the child with water, and spoke in this manner: ?Whencesoever thou comest, thou that art hurtful to this child, leave him and depart from him, for he now liveth anew, and is born anew; now is he purified and cleansed afresh, and our mother Chalchivitlycue again bringeth him into the world.? Having thus prayed, the midwife took the child in both hands, and, lifting him towards heaven, said, ?O Lord, thou seest here thy creature, whom thou hast sent into this world, this place of sorrow, suffering, and penitence. Grant him, O Lord, thy gifts and thine inspiration, for thou art the great God, and with thee is the great goddess.?

Who was Prescott? He was an American historian and Hispanist. He was very influential as he was recognized as one of the best in his field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Prescott

Last edited by Garywk; 08/31/23 01:45 PM.
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196388
08/31/23 05:13 PM
08/31/23 05:13 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
All the things I've questioned have not been "proven".
Maybe shown that someone else somewhere made a similar statement, but not proven that it really happened that way.

His deductions are not proof that what he says happened in the early years right after the flood. (Whether you used the word proof or not, isn't the issue, the fact remains it hasn't been proven to have happened that way)
Surely you realize and agree that when historians write about ancient (beginnings) they are just assuming, figuring it out by human reasoning of things. The same applies when it comes to Hislop.

"here a little, there a little"
Ever you actually read that text?
"]Isaiah 8:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, [and] there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken."

And, just a reminder -- just because I question some things in his book really doesn't give you a right to say or imply that I reject the book as a whole.

So what is it you are trying to say with your last post?

Bernardino de Sahag?n, OFM (c. 1499 ? 5 February 1590) was a Franciscan friar, missionary priest and pioneering ethnographer who participated in the Catholic evangelization of colonial New Spain, gives an account of Aztec infant baptism.
William Prescott, (1796-1859) who specialized in studying Renaissance Spanish History, translated Sahagun's account.
Hislop copies the account into his book.

What Sahagun saw happened in 4000 years after the flood.
He is trying to show how it both is like and differs from Catholic practice.
Of course the question arises -- where did the Aztec get the idea of baptizing babies?

Baby baptism in the church began around 200 years after Christ.
Origen, for instance, wrote in 244 AD that ?according to the usage of the Church, baptism is given even to infants?
The Council of Carthage, in 253 AD was debating against the idea of waiting until the eighth day to baptize babies.

So the question when and where did the Aztec get the idea of baptizing babies? Or was this even a regular event, or an attempt by some to save their children from the

Actually the Aztec had a lot of gods.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!