HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,633
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,342 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196390
08/31/23 05:34 PM
08/31/23 05:34 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by dedication
All the things I've questioned have not been "proven".
Maybe shown that someone else somewhere made a similar statement, but not proven that it really happened that way.

His deductions are not proof that what he says happened in the early years right after the flood. (Whether you used the word proof or not, isn't the issue, the fact remains it hasn't been proven to have happened that way)
Surely you realize and agree that when historians write about ancient (beginnings) they are just assuming, figuring it out by human reasoning of things. The same applies when it comes to Hislop.

"here a little, there a little"
Ever you actually read that text?
"]Isaiah 8:13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, [and] there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken."

And, just a reminder -- just because I question some things in his book really doesn't give you a right to say or imply that I reject the book as a whole.

So what is it you are trying to say with your last post?

Bernardino de Sahag?n, OFM (c. 1499 ? 5 February 1590) was a Franciscan friar, missionary priest and pioneering ethnographer who participated in the Catholic evangelization of colonial New Spain, gives an account of Aztec infant baptism.
William Prescott, (1796-1859) who specialized in studying Renaissance Spanish History, translated Sahagun's account.
Hislop copies the account into his book.

What Sahagun saw happened in 4000 years after the flood.
He is trying to show how it both is like and differs from Catholic practice.
Of course the question arises -- where did the Aztec get the idea of baptizing babies?

Baby baptism in the church began around 200 years after Christ.
Origen, for instance, wrote in 244 AD that ?according to the usage of the Church, baptism is given even to infants?
The Council of Carthage, in 253 AD was debating against the idea of waiting until the eighth day to baptize babies.

So the question when and where did the Aztec get the idea of baptizing babies? Or was this even a regular event, or an attempt by some to save their children from the

Actually the Aztec had a lot of gods.

Once again, where have I ever said I have proof of what Hislop says? I'm surprised that someone who has read Noorbergen's book would ask how the Aztecs came to have the same practices the Catholic church has. Shocked is probably a better word.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: Garywk] #196401
08/31/23 09:23 PM
08/31/23 09:23 PM
dedication  Online Content OP
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Originally Posted by Garywk

Once again, where have I ever said I have proof of what Hislop says?

I have shown from reputable historians, several of them Christians, all that you said didn't happen, did happen.

Even if you didn't use the word, you implied it when you said that what you "showed" somehow means it did happen.

I'm surprised that someone who has read Noorbergen's book would ask how the Aztecs came to have the same practices the Catholic church has. Shocked is probably a better word.

And yes, I've read Noorbergen's book -- it doesn't tell us that Nimrod and Semiranus started infant baptism and transported it to Mexico. So no, I don't know where the Aztecs got it from, I can only surmise from various details how they MIGHT have learned to do it.

Noorbergen's book does give considerable evidence that right after the flood there was a serious exploration of the earth, with maps showing accuracy that was completely lost in following centuries.

They built some kind of system which he suggests ran along the magnetic fields of the earth, and were used for communication and travel (even flight travel) The pyramid idea and small lined up towers, and pictures one can see only from the air, seemed to be very much part of this global organization of the world as these things are found in various parts of the world.
But that communication system which was meant to hold the whole world together (one world government) was disrupted when the tower of Babel was smitten.

ALSO Aztecs apparently had a legend that the "gods" sailed away in ships, and would reappear. When the Europeans arrived in the 1600's and men sailed into their harbors they at first thought the "gods" had returned. That initially made it easy for the "white men" to take advantage of them.

But explain how a pagan ritual that has Biblical language and thought laced all through it, but of course was paganized, managed to last through 4000 years. According to Aztec legends the Aztec suffered at least four or five serious collapses of their culture, followed by "rebirth" of culture during those years. How do you know if it wasn't Japheth or Shem's descendants, that were the initial explorers? Japheth and his descendants seemed to be the ones that travelled the farthest and had the farthest communities away from the ark area. Or maybe it was a combined effort by all the brothers?

ALSO
There's lots of evidence that the Vikings were in America centuries before Columbus "discovered" America. (They seem to have first come around 930 AD)
The Vikings were part of Catholic Christianity. Their legendary stories of voyages in America were also just legends for many years, till the ruins of one of their settlements was found in Canada, and the natives "remembered" stories.

Also the Vikings were avid seamen.
It's very possible they sailed along the coasts, and were the "white men" (gods) in the ships of Aztec legends. They could have brought Catholic religion to the natives, before sailing on.

We don't know where or how the Aztec got the idea to baptize their baby using rather Biblical language, though calling on pagan gods.

There is a lot we don't know, for me to just believe that which it appears (whatever it is you seem to think is obvious) and you are so shocked that I don't just accept that theory as matter of fact?

Last edited by dedication; 08/31/23 09:34 PM.
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196402
08/31/23 10:53 PM
08/31/23 10:53 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa

Once again, where have I ever said I have proof of what Hislop says?

I have shown from reputable historians, several of them Christians, all that you said didn't happen, did happen.

Even if you didn't use the word, you implied it when you said that what you "showed" somehow means it did happen.

I'm surprised that someone who has read Noorbergen's book would ask how the Aztecs came to have the same practices the Catholic church has. Shocked is probably a better word.

And yes, I've read Noorbergen's book -- it doesn't tell us that Nimrod and Semiranus started infant baptism and transported it to Mexico. So no, I don't know where the Aztecs got it from, I can only surmise from various details how they MIGHT have learned to do it.

Noorbergen's book does give considerable evidence that right after the flood there was a serious exploration of the earth, with maps showing accuracy that was completely lost in following centuries.

They built some kind of system which he suggests ran along the magnetic fields of the earth, and were used for communication and travel (even flight travel) The pyramid idea and small lined up towers, and pictures one can see only from the air, seemed to be very much part of this global organization of the world as these things are found in various parts of the world.
But that communication system which was meant to hold the whole world together (one world government) was disrupted when the tower of Babel was smitten.

ALSO Aztecs apparently had a legend that the "gods" sailed away in ships, and would reappear. When the Europeans arrived in the 1600's and men sailed into their harbors they at first thought the "gods" had returned. That initially made it easy for the "white men" to take advantage of them.

But explain how a pagan ritual that has Biblical language and thought laced all through it, but of course was paganized, managed to last through 4000 years. According to Aztec legends the Aztec suffered at least four or five serious collapses of their culture, followed by "rebirth" of culture during those years. How do you know if it wasn't Japheth or Shem's descendants, that were the initial explorers? Japheth and his descendants seemed to be the ones that travelled the farthest and had the farthest communities away from the ark area. Or maybe it was a combined effort by all the brothers?

ALSO
There's lots of evidence that the Vikings were in America centuries before Columbus "discovered" America. (They seem to have first come around 930 AD)
The Vikings were part of Catholic Christianity. Their legendary stories of voyages in America were also just legends for many years, till the ruins of one of their settlements was found in Canada, and the natives "remembered" stories.

Also the Vikings were avid seamen.
It's very possible they sailed along the coasts, and were the "white men" (gods) in the ships of Aztec legends. They could have brought Catholic religion to the natives, before sailing on.

We don't know where or how the Aztec got the idea to baptize their baby using rather Biblical language, though calling on pagan gods.

There is a lot we don't know, for me to just believe that which it appears (whatever it is you seem to think is obvious) and you are so shocked that I don't just accept that theory as matter of fact?

So? What difference would it make who taught the Aztecs as most of the earth was in rebellion against God and scattered over the earth because of Babel and the paganism practiced there? And the Vikings gods closely paralleled the Babylonian gods. I don't see you've said anything that discredits Hislop.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196412
09/02/23 02:20 AM
09/02/23 02:20 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Yes, that is the big problem!
What difference does it make -- Hislop makes no difference, he lumps everything into one basket, which he calls paganism that supposedly originated in Nimrod and Semarimus.

Now departure from truth definitely began soon after the flood.

Sadly the apostolic Christian church, as it grew in membership was bombarded with all manner of superstitions, heathen rituals, as well as sophisticated Greek philosophy and learning. Truths were explained not only in heathen terms, but also in philosophical reasoning, and gradually counterfeits attached themselves to the truths.

There is a difference in the example of the Aztec baptism, even though done in the name of pagan gods.

The concepts of "rebirth" "regeneration" in that account were not the same as the ancient Egyptian concepts of rebirth and regeneration. The Aztec baptism (other than mentioning other gods) was very much the same as CATHOLIC concepts of rebirth and regeneration.
The Egyptian's focus was on life after death, rebirth after death and ascending to live with the gods in the stars after their earthly life ceased.
The Aztec baptism was dealing with rebirth from the inherited original sin. Clearly a Catholic doctrine.

Yes, Hislop tries to take the responsibility away from the Catholic church and put the blame on ancient paganism, so he refers to some ancient initiation rituals that involved water, but those did not sound like baptism, but rather they sounded like endurance tests, in which some didn't even survive. Then he points to Virgil's epic legendary poem where the great warrior escaped from Troy and enters the "underworld" where the dead live as "shades" and he heard deceased babies crying who couldn't go to the peaceful fields of the underworld because they hadn't participated in pagan mystic rites. No indication this was baptism, though of course the idea of needing some sort of ritual to advance in the regeneration of life was implied. He then gives the Aztec account to imply infant baptism was a practice derived from paganism.

Yet, the evidence for the origin of the Aztec baptism seems to point to the Catholic understanding of infant baptism having been given to these Aztec people sometime before the Spanish arrived.
And yes, the Vikings, while never fully giving up their paganism had converted to Catholicism. Erik the Red (Thorvaldsson around 1000 AD) explored Greenland and founded the first Norse settlement there. One of his sons, Leif Eriksson, led some of the first European explorations of the east coast of North America. The Saga of Erik indicates Leif brought Christianity to Greenland, Erik was against it, but his wife and Leif built a Catholic church and promoted Christianity. (Of course this was Catholic Christianity).
As mentioned in the previous post, Leif and his company of explorers could very well have been the ones bringing the whole concept of infant baptism to the Aztecs several hundred years before the Spanish arrived.

I agree that the Catholic belief of Infant baptism is unbiblical, and that their version of being "born again" which supposedly happens to the infant at baptism is totally missing what "born again" means. Those beliefs are totally unbiblical. There's no question that Catholicsm absorbed a lot of pagan concepts into their beliefs. Compromising, manipulating, philosophizing, not to match the ancients, but shape their own counterfeit religion.

The point is -- yes, sin swept the world, sadly very soon after the flood, counterfeits of all sorts were developed and practiced and passed on for thousands of years.

But the Catholic Church started with apostolic beginnings. Paul and his associates started the Gentile churches, including the one in Rome. They had the Bible and the truth.
Sadly, even while Paul was still preaching, "the mystery of iniquity was already at work"
a lot of the old Gentile customs and rituals and thought patterns crept in to pollute the truths. Generally due to compromising. The Gentile church didn't start out polluted, it started out with truth and became polluted.

But remember another side of the story, the Jewish church also was given the true gospel message, yet it seems they became a real pain to Paul and his ministry as they too clung to their old rituals and practices.

That's some thing Hislop seems to miss, there were several things that came into the Catholic system which was an attempt to reinstate the Jewish sanctuary practices. The priesthood (coming to the priests for forgiveness and perform the sacrifice). The high Priest (The pope, Bishop of all Bishops -- at first all bishops were equal but even before Constantine the Roman bishop was trying to be the bishop of bishops). The sacrificial lamb (reinstated as the bloodless mass). Even infant baptism, in the early years, just two centuries after Christ, they were debating whether babies should be baptized on the eighth day (the day scripture commands circumcision) in order to be part of the faith community.
On the other hand, Sunday as the day of worship came in not because they desired to worship the sun, it started as a celebration of Christ's resurrection, and also a desire to be distinguished from the Jews. It was wrong, because God sanctified the seventh day and asked His people to keep it holy, not the first day. Constantine didn't enforce sunday worship on Christians, it was because Christians (especially in Rome) were already celebrating on Sunday that Constantine saw it as a good merging point in his sun worshipping empire.
As one pioneer Adventist wrote: "they (the papal church) reinstated that which was abolished, and abolished that which was to remain."

There was a mix of things that pulled the church off track into its "antichrist" position..
But while we need to peel back the false, underneath there is still truth.

While pagans were steeped in superstitions and false religions, not everything a pagan did was sin.
Just because pagans did something, does not always or automatically mean it's sin. It's only sin if it is against God's commandments and/or taking us away from our Savior and setting our affections on something else (a false god).

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196415
09/02/23 11:23 AM
09/02/23 11:23 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Yes, that is the big problem!
What difference does it make -- Hislop makes no difference, he lumps everything into one basket, which he calls paganism that supposedly originated in Nimrod and Semarimus.

Now departure from truth definitely began soon after the flood.

Sadly the apostolic Christian church, as it grew in membership was bombarded with all manner of superstitions, heathen rituals, as well as sophisticated Greek philosophy and learning. Truths were explained not only in heathen terms, but also in philosophical reasoning, and gradually counterfeits attached themselves to the truths.

There is a difference in the example of the Aztec baptism, even though done in the name of pagan gods.

The concepts of "rebirth" "regeneration" in that account were not the same as the ancient Egyptian concepts of rebirth and regeneration. The Aztec baptism (other than mentioning other gods) was very much the same as CATHOLIC concepts of rebirth and regeneration.
The Egyptian's focus was on life after death, rebirth after death and ascending to live with the gods in the stars after their earthly life ceased.
The Aztec baptism was dealing with rebirth from the inherited original sin. Clearly a Catholic doctrine.

Yes, Hislop tries to take the responsibility away from the Catholic church and put the blame on ancient paganism, so he refers to some ancient initiation rituals that involved water, but those did not sound like baptism, but rather they sounded like endurance tests, in which some didn't even survive. Then he points to Virgil's epic legendary poem where the great warrior escaped from Troy and enters the "underworld" where the dead live as "shades" and he heard deceased babies crying who couldn't go to the peaceful fields of the underworld because they hadn't participated in pagan mystic rites. No indication this was baptism, though of course the idea of needing some sort of ritual to advance in the regeneration of life was implied. He then gives the Aztec account to imply infant baptism was a practice derived from paganism.

Yet, the evidence for the origin of the Aztec baptism seems to point to the Catholic understanding of infant baptism having been given to these Aztec people sometime before the Spanish arrived.
And yes, the Vikings, while never fully giving up their paganism had converted to Catholicism. Erik the Red (Thorvaldsson around 1000 AD) explored Greenland and founded the first Norse settlement there. One of his sons, Leif Eriksson, led some of the first European explorations of the east coast of North America. The Saga of Erik indicates Leif brought Christianity to Greenland, Erik was against it, but his wife and Leif built a Catholic church and promoted Christianity. (Of course this was Catholic Christianity).
As mentioned in the previous post, Leif and his company of explorers could very well have been the ones bringing the whole concept of infant baptism to the Aztecs several hundred years before the Spanish arrived.

I agree that the Catholic belief of Infant baptism is unbiblical, and that their version of being "born again" which supposedly happens to the infant at baptism is totally missing what "born again" means. Those beliefs are totally unbiblical. There's no question that Catholicsm absorbed a lot of pagan concepts into their beliefs. Compromising, manipulating, philosophizing, not to match the ancients, but shape their own counterfeit religion.

The point is -- yes, sin swept the world, sadly very soon after the flood, counterfeits of all sorts were developed and practiced and passed on for thousands of years.

But the Catholic Church started with apostolic beginnings. Paul and his associates started the Gentile churches, including the one in Rome. They had the Bible and the truth.
Sadly, even while Paul was still preaching, "the mystery of iniquity was already at work"
a lot of the old Gentile customs and rituals and thought patterns crept in to pollute the truths. Generally due to compromising. The Gentile church didn't start out polluted, it started out with truth and became polluted.

But remember another side of the story, the Jewish church also was given the true gospel message, yet it seems they became a real pain to Paul and his ministry as they too clung to their old rituals and practices.

That's some thing Hislop seems to miss, there were several things that came into the Catholic system which was an attempt to reinstate the Jewish sanctuary practices. The priesthood (coming to the priests for forgiveness and perform the sacrifice). The high Priest (The pope, Bishop of all Bishops -- at first all bishops were equal but even before Constantine the Roman bishop was trying to be the bishop of bishops). The sacrificial lamb (reinstated as the bloodless mass). Even infant baptism, in the early years, just two centuries after Christ, they were debating whether babies should be baptized on the eighth day (the day scripture commands circumcision) in order to be part of the faith community.
On the other hand, Sunday as the day of worship came in not because they desired to worship the sun, it started as a celebration of Christ's resurrection, and also a desire to be distinguished from the Jews. It was wrong, because God sanctified the seventh day and asked His people to keep it holy, not the first day. Constantine didn't enforce sunday worship on Christians, it was because Christians (especially in Rome) were already celebrating on Sunday that Constantine saw it as a good merging point in his sun worshipping empire.
As one pioneer Adventist wrote: "they (the papal church) reinstated that which was abolished, and abolished that which was to remain."

There was a mix of things that pulled the church off track into its "antichrist" position..
But while we need to peel back the false, underneath there is still truth.

While pagans were steeped in superstitions and false religions, not everything a pagan did was sin.
Just because pagans did something, does not always or automatically mean it's sin. It's only sin if it is against God's commandments and/or taking us away from our Savior and setting our affections on something else (a false god).

How does the fact that the RCC teaches the same thing as the Aztecs did discredit Hislop? All I see in your argument is a reinforcement of Hislop's beliefs and writings.

In Egypt, as we have seen, Osiris, as identified with Noah, was represented, when
overcome by his grand enemy Typhon, or the "Evil One," as passing through the waters. The
poets represented Semiramis as sharing in his distress, and likewise seeking safety in the
same way. We have seen already, that, under the name of Astarte, she was said to have
come forth from the wondrous egg that was found floating on the waters of the Euphrates.
Now Manilius tells, in his Astronomical Poetics, what induced her to take refuge in these
waters. "Venus plunged into the Babylonia waters," says he, "to shun the fury of the snake-
footed Typhon." When Venus Urania, or Dione, the "Heavenly Dove," plunged in deep
distress into these waters of Babylon, be it observed what, according to the Chaldean
doctrine, this amounted to.
It was neither more nor less than saying that the Holy Ghost incarnate in deep
tribulation entered these waters, and that on purpose that these waters might be fit, not only
by the temporary abode of the Messiah in the midst of them, but by the Spirit's efficacy thus
imparted to them, for giving new life and regeneration, by baptism, to the worshippers of the
Chaldean Madonna. We have evidence that the purifying virtue of the waters, which in Pagan
esteem had such efficacy in cleansing from guilt and regenerating the soul, was derived in
part from the passing of the Mediatorial god, the sun-god and god of fire, through these
waters during his humiliation and sojourn in the midst of them; and that the Papacy at this day
retains the very custom which had sprung up from that persuasion.

If the question arise, How came it that the Bayblonians themselves adopted such a
doctrine as regeneration by baptism, we have light also on that. In the Babylonian Mysteries,
the commemoration of the flood, of the ark, and the grand events in the life of Noah, was
mingled with the worship of the Queen of Heaven and her son. Noah, as having lived in two
worlds, both before the flood and after it, was called "Dipheus," or "twice-born," and was
represented as a god with two heads looking in opposite directions, the one old, and the other
young. Though we have seen that the two-headed Janus in one aspect had reference to
Cush and his son, Nimrod, viewed as one god, in a two-fold capacity, as the Supreme, and
Father of all the deified "mighty ones," yet, in order to gain for him the very authority and
respect essential to constitute him properly the head of the great system of idolatry that the
apostates inaugurated, it was necessary to represent him as in some way or other identified
with the great patriarch, who was the Father of all, and who had so miraculous a history.
Therefore in the legends of Janus, we find mixed up with other things derived from an
entirely different source, statements not only in regard to his being the "Father of the world,"
but also his being "the inventor of ships," which plainly have been borrowed from the history
of Noah; and therefore, the remarkable way in which he is represented in the figure here
presented to the reader may confidently be concluded to have been primarily suggested by
the history of the great Diluvian patriarch, whose integrity in his two-fold life is so particularly
referred to in the Scripture, where it is said (Gen 6:9), "Noah was just a man, and perfect in
his generations," that is, in his life before the flood, and in his life after it.

So we see that the roots of water as a regenerative agent go clear back to Nimrod's and Semiramis' times

Last edited by Garywk; 09/02/23 12:16 PM.
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196421
09/03/23 04:57 AM
09/03/23 04:57 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Hislop shows pagan practices, but his basic theory is different. His theory assumes all these practices found in the Catholic church were originated by about two or three people shortly after the flood. I don't believe that part --
I do believe Satan has been busy coming up with all kinds of counterfeit gods and practices and misunderstandings to match all kinds of different temperaments over many centuries of time.
Soon after the flood, yes there were some in deliberate rebellion against God. There was deliberate rebellion against God and willful disregard to God's ways and teachings. But some of these things Hislop writes about also grew from misunderstanding truths originally taught by the survivors of the flood. Some were just everyday things people did over the centuries and became habits and customs, which may or may not be wrong. Just because pagan cultures did something does not automatically make it evil.

Now we've come to BAPTISM.

What you posted shows me the ancients at one time knew A LOT about God's redemptive plan. Yes, in those accounts we see the true God being replaced and people manufacturing their own false gods and twisting the truth to fit their false gods, but if these things lifted from the legends are what the ancients actually believed, then the great truths of scripture which people think were only known after Christ's first coming, were known from the beginning.

When God told Adam and Eve the plan of redemption it was explained and understood in considerable detail. Noah would have understood, he would have taught it to his sons.

The confirmation this gives of the flood!
Yes, Noah lived on both sides of the flood.
And yes, God used water to wash away all evil and recreated the world.
Though its difficult to relate the flood to baptism of people, it is true that flood washed away the sinful results and perpetrators of sin. The earth was cleansed and renewed.

"the commemoration of the flood, of the ark, and the grand events in the life of Noah,...Noah, as having lived in two worlds, both before the flood and after it, was called "Dipheus," or "twice-born," and was represented as a god with two heads looking in opposite directions,...the father of the world....

Yes, that is obviously connecting to a true historical event (though Noah is no god).

But then Hislop gives a pretty confusing conclusion tying things together. His supposed connection of Semiramis with Nimrod and Noah is sketchy and weak, combining mythical stories of numerous goddesses, from different times and legends together to come to his conclusions. There's no way Semiramis shared Noah's distress, and likewise sought safety in the same way.

To identify the Holy Spirit, in terms of the sensuous goddesses Venus, Dione or any other goddess, is akin to blasphemy, nor does the Holy Spirit give spiritual powers to water.
But He does give spiritual power to those repenting and being baptized.
It does seem obvious there was knowledge concerning the eternal Godhead -- Father, Messiah, Holy Spirit.
The Messiah would be in the midst of them.
The Holy Spirit they recognized as having regenerating power for new life.

Seems the Jews also believed in "regenerating water" as we see in the story recorded in John chapter five. The pool of Bethesda had a lot of sick people waiting for the spirit to stir the water thinking the first to jump in would be regenerated (healed).

So where did the whole idea of washing with water/baptizing originate?

Hislop may show washing in water and a connection with "regeneration" was practiced by pagans. But did it originate in paganism, or did paganism counterfeit it, or misunderstand it?

Among the Jews purification by water washings was well known. John the Baptist (before Christianity) baptized a lot of people, but he wasn't starting something new. They may have questioned his authority to perform the ritual, but they didn't question the ritual itself.

Among the Jews purification by water washings was well know. The Levitical system of was filled with "divers washings" Hebrews 9:20.
The priests were washed as they began their sacred duties. Exodus 30:19,20; 29:4.
A "defiled" person must wash before entering society again.

Baptism was not a Christian invention -- it was practiced by the Jews long before Christianity came.

Immersion was also demanded of Proselytes. "One of the steps in becoming a proselyte was complete immersion in running water to wash away impurities acquired while in a state of heathenism.... " (Universal Jewish Encyclopedia)
"Israel does not enter into covenant but by these three things, by circumcision, baptism, and peace offering; and proselytes, in like manner." (History of Infant Baptism)

However, Christianity brought a whole new meaning to baptism. In the first couple centuries they stressed conversion and commitment, putting off the old man, and rising in newness of life, which was signified in baptism, They were against infant Baptism. But that changed.

Whereas Israel, saw inclusion in the covenant community achieved more by outward signs and rituals which largely took place while still an infant (like circumcision on the eighth day after birth)
This belief was one reason some pushed for infant baptism.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196424
09/03/23 09:11 AM
09/03/23 09:11 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Hislop shows pagan practices, but his basic theory is different. His theory assumes all these practices found in the Catholic church were originated by about two or three people shortly after the flood. I don't believe that part --
I do believe Satan has been busy coming up with all kinds of counterfeit gods and practices and misunderstandings to match all kinds of different temperaments over many centuries of time.
Soon after the flood, yes there were some in deliberate rebellion against God. There was deliberate rebellion against God and willful disregard to God's ways and teachings. But some of these things Hislop writes about also grew from misunderstanding truths originally taught by the survivors of the flood. Some were just everyday things people did over the centuries and became habits and customs, which may or may not be wrong. Just because pagan cultures did something does not automatically make it evil.

Now we've come to BAPTISM.

What you posted shows me the ancients at one time knew A LOT about God's redemptive plan. Yes, in those accounts we see the true God being replaced and people manufacturing their own false gods and twisting the truth to fit their false gods, but if these things lifted from the legends are what the ancients actually believed, then the great truths of scripture which people think were only known after Christ's first coming, were known from the beginning.

When God told Adam and Eve the plan of redemption it was explained and understood in considerable detail. Noah would have understood, he would have taught it to his sons.

The confirmation this gives of the flood!
Yes, Noah lived on both sides of the flood.
And yes, God used water to wash away all evil and recreated the world.
Though its difficult to relate the flood to baptism of people, it is true that flood washed away the sinful results and perpetrators of sin. The earth was cleansed and renewed.

"the commemoration of the flood, of the ark, and the grand events in the life of Noah,...Noah, as having lived in two worlds, both before the flood and after it, was called "Dipheus," or "twice-born," and was represented as a god with two heads looking in opposite directions,...the father of the world....

Yes, that is obviously connecting to a true historical event (though Noah is no god).

But then Hislop gives a pretty confusing conclusion tying things together. His supposed connection of Semiramis with Nimrod and Noah is sketchy and weak, combining mythical stories of numerous goddesses, from different times and legends together to come to his conclusions. There's no way Semiramis shared Noah's distress, and likewise sought safety in the same way.

To identify the Holy Spirit, in terms of the sensuous goddesses Venus, Dione or any other goddess, is akin to blasphemy, nor does the Holy Spirit give spiritual powers to water.
But He does give spiritual power to those repenting and being baptized.
It does seem obvious there was knowledge concerning the eternal Godhead -- Father, Messiah, Holy Spirit.
The Messiah would be in the midst of them.
The Holy Spirit they recognized as having regenerating power for new life.

Seems the Jews also believed in "regenerating water" as we see in the story recorded in John chapter five. The pool of Bethesda had a lot of sick people waiting for the spirit to stir the water thinking the first to jump in would be regenerated (healed).

So where did the whole idea of washing with water/baptizing originate?

Hislop may show washing in water and a connection with "regeneration" was practiced by pagans. But did it originate in paganism, or did paganism counterfeit it, or misunderstand it?

Among the Jews purification by water washings was well known. John the Baptist (before Christianity) baptized a lot of people, but he wasn't starting something new. They may have questioned his authority to perform the ritual, but they didn't question the ritual itself.

Among the Jews purification by water washings was well know. The Levitical system of was filled with "divers washings" Hebrews 9:20.
The priests were washed as they began their sacred duties. Exodus 30:19,20; 29:4.
A "defiled" person must wash before entering society again.

Baptism was not a Christian invention -- it was practiced by the Jews long before Christianity came.

Immersion was also demanded of Proselytes. "One of the steps in becoming a proselyte was complete immersion in running water to wash away impurities acquired while in a state of heathenism.... " (Universal Jewish Encyclopedia)
"Israel does not enter into covenant but by these three things, by circumcision, baptism, and peace offering; and proselytes, in like manner." (History of Infant Baptism)

However, Christianity brought a whole new meaning to baptism. In the first couple centuries they stressed conversion and commitment, putting off the old man, and rising in newness of life, which was signified in baptism, They were against infant Baptism. But that changed.

Whereas Israel, saw inclusion in the covenant community achieved more by outward signs and rituals which largely took place while still an infant (like circumcision on the eighth day after birth)
This belief was one reason some pushed for infant baptism.

No where does Hislop say that one or two people were responsible for the invention of all pagan gods and practices. These are legends and by definition have grown up after the death of the "gods". No one declares themselves a god. It is those who come after them who do that.

Of course the pagan practices are counterfeits of Satan's inventiveness. That's what Hislop is pointing out.

Once again your reasoning is faulty.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196435
09/03/23 05:28 PM
09/03/23 05:28 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Then why does Hislop put all this emphases on Nimrod, Cush and Semiramis?
I'm glad you finally realize this is all based on legends that have grown over time.

Not sure in what way you think my reasoning is faulty --easy to say without giving any proof.

By the way I didn't say "one or two people were responsible for the invention of all pagan gods and practices", I wrote:
His theory assumes all these practices found in the Catholic church were originated by about two or three people shortly after the flood.

In his book he tries to trace everything back to these three. That many of the goddess and gods even though with different names and possessing some same but also differing characteristics supposedly had their origin from one of these three.

That's the whole thesis of his book -- tracing the "mysteries of Babylon" all the way back to these three.
The Chaldean Mysteries can be traced to the days of Semiramis, who lived only a few centuries after the flood and who is known to have impressed upon them the image of her own depraved and polluted mind...the mysteries which she had a chief hand in forming, she was worshipped as Rhea, the great "MOTHER" of the gods. p.5
If Ninus was Nimrod, who was the historical Bel? He must have been Cush,,,Cush is generally represented as having been a ringleader in the great apostacy. ...as the son of Ham he was Hermes...son of Ham. Now Hermes was the great original prophet of idolatry. p.25
Nimrod was the actual father of the gods, as being the first of deified mortals. p.32

Nimrod, receives a lot of attention in the book, as do all three.

Of course it's all confusion. For in the story, Nimrod is supposedly conceived by a deceased god. The confusion is that Nimrod was supposedly Semiramis' husband, but now becomes her son.
If Nimrod was supposedly the "seed of Cush" what evidence does anyone have that Cush died before Nimrod was born? Even the legends don't agree on that. Some think the mighty Nimrod was Semiramis husband, but was killed and then he impregnated Semiramis with himself and was reborn as her son. But then we have in the narrative that Cush helped Semiramis build the walls of Babylon after Nimrod's death. Semiramis having inherited Nimrod's status, after he was departed. Obviously the whole story is based on confusion not on facts.
Also if Nimrod was the first human deified, he can't be Osiris, for the Egyptians already were worshipping Osiris and Isis when they started building pyramids -- and they were built while Cush and his son's would still have been alive.

Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196438
09/03/23 10:23 PM
09/03/23 10:23 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Then why does Hislop put all this emphases on Nimrod, Cush and Semiramis?
I'm glad you finally realize this is all based on legends that have grown over time.

Not sure in what way you think my reasoning is faulty --easy to say without giving any proof.

By the way I didn't say "one or two people were responsible for the invention of all pagan gods and practices", I wrote:
His theory assumes all these practices found in the Catholic church were originated by about two or three people shortly after the flood.

In his book he tries to trace everything back to these three. That many of the goddess and gods even though with different names and possessing some same but also differing characteristics supposedly had their origin from one of these three.

That's the whole thesis of his book -- tracing the "mysteries of Babylon" all the way back to these three.
The Chaldean Mysteries can be traced to the days of Semiramis, who lived only a few centuries after the flood and who is known to have impressed upon them the image of her own depraved and polluted mind...the mysteries which she had a chief hand in forming, she was worshipped as Rhea, the great "MOTHER" of the gods. p.5
If Ninus was Nimrod, who was the historical Bel? He must have been Cush,,,Cush is generally represented as having been a ringleader in the great apostacy. ...as the son of Ham he was Hermes...son of Ham. Now Hermes was the great original prophet of idolatry. p.25
Nimrod was the actual father of the gods, as being the first of deified mortals. p.32

Nimrod, receives a lot of attention in the book, as do all three.

Of course it's all confusion. For in the story, Nimrod is supposedly conceived by a deceased god. The confusion is that Nimrod was supposedly Semiramis' husband, but now becomes her son.
If Nimrod was supposedly the "seed of Cush" what evidence does anyone have that Cush died before Nimrod was born? Even the legends don't agree on that. Some think the mighty Nimrod was Semiramis husband, but was killed and then he impregnated Semiramis with himself and was reborn as her son. But then we have in the narrative that Cush helped Semiramis build the walls of Babylon after Nimrod's death. Semiramis having inherited Nimrod's status, after he was departed. Obviously the whole story is based on confusion not on facts.
Also if Nimrod was the first human deified, he can't be Osiris, for the Egyptians already were worshipping Osiris and Isis when they started building pyramids -- and they were built while Cush and his son's would still have been alive.

And how do you know Nimrod was alive when the Egyptians began worshiping Osiris? The flood happened around 2350 BC According to Biblical reckoning and Nimrod was Noah's great grandson. How did that leave enough time for the Egyptian culture to get started and legends develop after the flood and the tower of Babel for legends of Osiris to develop before Nimrod's day?

And how long after creation did Cain kill Abel? Did it take centuries before that level of evil developed on earth? Remember how long it took for Adam and Eve to develop guilty consciences to bother them so that they hid themselves in the trees when they heard God walking in the garden?

Once again your reasoning seems pretty faulty to me.

Last edited by Garywk; 09/03/23 10:25 PM.
Re: Beginnings of history after the flood [Re: dedication] #196440
09/03/23 11:49 PM
09/03/23 11:49 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
The inspired rendition.

EGW gives much the same story as the Bible -- her emphases is on the relationship between the people and God. She doesn't even mention Nimrod or Ham's son Cush, (Semiramis doesn't appear in EGW writings or in the Bible) The only grandson of Noah she mentions is Caanan the fourth son of Ham.
The strange thing is that though Caanan is specifically singled out as "cursed" both in scripture and EGW, Hislop doesn't mention him.

"To his children, and to their children, to the ninth generation, Adam delineated the perfections of his Eden home; and also his fall and its dreadful results. . . . He declared to them that sin would be punished, in whatever form it existed; and he entreated them to obey God, who would deal mercifully with them if they should love and fear Him. {CC 22.4}
Adam was commanded to teach his descendants the fear of the Lord, and, by his example of humble obedience, lead them to highly regard the offerings which typified a Saviour to come. Adam carefully treasured what God had revealed to him, and handed it down by word of mouth to his children and children's children. By this means the knowledge of God was preserved. {CC 22.5}

Noah and his family were not alone in fearing and obeying God. But Noah was the most pious and holy of any upon the earth, and was the one whose life God preserved to carry out his will in building the ark and warning the world of its coming doom... there were others who believed the preaching of Noah, and aided him in building the ark, who died before the flood of waters came upon the earth. Noah, by his preaching and example in building the ark, condemned the world. God gave all who chose an opportunity to repent and turn to him. But they believed not {1SP 70}

After Noah had come forth from the ark, he looked around ... upon his family numbering eight, The whole surface of the earth was changed at the flood. A third dreadful curse now rested upon it in consequence of man's transgression.

Yet in the three sons of Noah was speedily developed the same great distinction seen in the world before the Flood. In Shem, Ham, and Japheth, who were to be the founders of the human race, was foreshadowed the character of their posterity.
Noah, speaking by divine inspiration, foretold the history of the three great races to spring from these fathers of the human race. Tracing the descendants of Ham, through the son rather than the father, he declared, ?Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.?. . . Evil characteristics were perpetuated in Canaan and his posterity, whose continued guilt called upon them the judgments of God. .{PP 117}

Some of the descendants of Noah soon began to apostatize. A portion followed the example of Noah, and obeyed God's commandments; others were unbelieving and rebellious, and even these did not believe alike in regard to the flood. Some disbelieved in the existence of God, and in their own minds accounted for the flood from natural causes. Others believed that God existed, and that he destroyed the antediluvian race by a flood; and their feelings, like Cain, rose in rebellion against God, because he destroyed the people from the earth, and cursed the earth the third time by a flood. {p1 SP 91.1}

The unbelieving consulted among themselves, and agreed to separate from the faithful, whose righteous lives were a continual restraint upon their wicked course. They journeyed a distance from them, and selected a large plain wherein to dwell. They built them a city, and then conceived the idea of building a large tower to reach unto the clouds, ....This tower was calculated to exalt its builders, and was designed to turn the attention of others who should live upon the earth from God to join with them in their idolatry....the Lord sent two angels to confound their work....confounded their languages.... Lightning from heaven, as a token of God's wrath, broke off the top of their tower, casting it to the ground. Thus God would show to rebellious man that He was supreme{1 SP92}.

What does Genesis tell us of Nimrod, Cush and Semiramus?

Gen 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.
9:22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
9:23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid [it] upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces [were] backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
9:25 And he said, Cursed [be] Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
9:26 And he said, Blessed [be] the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

10:1 Now these [are] the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth: and unto them were sons born after the flood.
(vs. 2-6 lists Japheth's descends)

10:6 And the sons of Ham; Cush, and Mizraim, and Phut, and Canaan.
10:7 And the sons of Cush; Seba, and Havilah, and Sabtah, and Raamah, and Sabtechah: and the sons of Raamah; Sheba, and Dedan.
10:8 And Cush begat Nimrod: he began to be a mighty one in the earth.
10:9 He was a mighty hunter before the LORD: wherefore it is said, Even as Nimrod the mighty hunter before the LORD.
10:10 And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, and Erech, and Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.
10:11 Out of that land went forth Asshur, and builded Nineveh, and the city Rehoboth, and Calah,
10:12 And Resen between Nineveh and Calah: the same [is] a great city.
(vs. 13-20 lists descendants of Ham's other sons and grandsons)
10:21 Unto Shem also, the father of all the children of Eber, the brother of Japheth the elder, even to him were [children] born.
10:22 The children of Shem; Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram.
10:23 And the children of Aram; Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Mash.
(vs. 24-29 lists more of Shem's descendants)
10:30 And their dwelling was from Mesha, as thou goest unto Sephar a mount of the east.
10:31 These [are] the sons of Shem, after their families

Interesting -- verse 7 lists five sons from Cush and two grandsons. (Nimrod not mentioned)
It's not till the next verse, vs 8, after having mentioned grandsons, does it go back and mention Nimrod It appears Nimrod was born later in Cush's life, after he (Cush) already had grandsons.
And yes, it is implied Nimrod was a mighty warrior and rebel and a builder of cities and a kingdom.

So the Bible, of the three Hislop spends a lot of pages on, only mentions Nimrod as leading a rebellion against God. Cush is only mentioned as Ham's son, and father of several sons. Semiramus isn't mentioned at all.

Caanan, which the Bible specifically mentions and which we see later in the Bible is very wicked and given to destruction, is ignored by Hislop.

MOSES
Moses wrote the book of Genesis, possibly while he was herding sheep in the land of Midian.

Moses was brought up in Egypt. Not as a slave but as a favored prince in Pharaoh's court. Educated in the schools of Egypt. His teachers probably priests in Egypt's pagan arts.
Moses KNEW all about the religion of the land, he was immersed in the center of it.

Yet, Moses, under the inspiration of God tells the story of earth's beginnings in the book of Genesis and totally ignores the great mother goddess Semiramus the supposed mother goddess Rhea and her supposed connection with the gods and goddesses of Egypt. He doesn't even mention Nimrod's elevation to godhood.
Why?

Yes, he probably was familiar with the legends of creation, Noah, and Osiris and Isis. But Moses was given the task to set the record straight. To tell the truth would counter the prevailing errors
He was to write how God created the world, how sin entered, why the flood, what Noah did, how it all began.

Genesis three should have alerted all to the wrongness of their whole concept of gods and goddess.

Satan's lie - Disobey God and
1. you won't die
2. you will be like gods (and goddesses)

That is the foundation. The foundation of Satan's deception.
Reject Satan's lie -- and all that god and goddess stuff will be seen for what it is.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!