HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,635
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 7
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,389 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196449
09/04/23 11:02 AM
09/04/23 11:02 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Here is more from Ellen White on ministers.

Let not our young men be deterred from entering the ministry. There is danger that through glowing representations some will be drawn away from the path where God bids them walk. Some have been encouraged to take a course of study in medical lines who ought to be preparing themselves to enter the ministry. The Lord calls for more ministers to labor in His vineyard. The words were spoken, ?Strengthen the outposts; have faithful sentinels in every part of the world.? God calls for you, young men. He calls for whole armies of young men who are large-hearted and large-minded, and who have a deep love for Christ and the truth. The measure of capacity or learning is of far less consequence than is the spirit with which you engage in the work. It is not great and learned men that the ministry needs; it is not eloquent sermonizers. God calls for men who will give themselves to Him to be imbued with His Spirit. The cause of Christ and humanity demands sanctified, self-sacrificing men, those who can go forth without the camp, bearing the reproach. Let them be strong, valiant men, fit for worthy enterprises, and let them make a covenant with God by sacrifice. Gospel Workers page 63

I have never read where she says God calls women to be minsters. She does say young men and young wonen should be trained to be gospel workers.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196450
09/04/23 11:30 AM
09/04/23 11:30 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ellen White tried to show a better way suggesting other spiritual leaders, like deaconess should be ordained, but that all fell by the wayside.

That is actually in the Church Manual, however, I have yet to see deaconesses being ordained in our local church.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196455
09/04/23 01:58 PM
09/04/23 01:58 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by Daryl
Ellen White tried to show a better way suggesting other spiritual leaders, like deaconess should be ordained, but that all fell by the wayside.

That is actually in the Church Manual, however, I have yet to see deaconesses being ordained in our local church.

It is sad how much she told us we have ignored. She told us how to run our educational system and we ignored her,
She told us not to congregate in a few areas and to spread out, but we ignored her. The results of us ignoring her are really coming home to roost too.

The small churches I've attended in my life have been, by far. the most spiritually alive churches and the big ones have been, and are, spiritually dead. When we don't follow God's leading we die spiritually.

Last edited by Garywk; 09/04/23 02:02 PM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Garywk] #196472
09/05/23 09:00 PM
09/05/23 09:00 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Tit 1:5? For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and
ordain
( kath-is'-tay-mee from G2596 and G2476; to place down, to designate, constitute, convoy, to appoint, to make, ordain, set up ).elders in every city,
as I had appointed
diatasso #1299 appointed, commanded, give order, ordained)thee:

Tit 1:6? If any be blameless, the husband of one wife,
(not a polygamists, this doesn't mean they must have a wife, but that they must not be a polygamist) having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. (that doesn't mean they have to have children, but when they do have children they must show good upbringing)

So Titus was to be sure all the churches appointed leaders.
The translators used the word "ordain" elders, in this verse, but the word Kathistaymee is rarely translated as "ordain",
It's usually translated as "make,
as we see in Acts 7:10
And delivered him out of all his afflictions, and gave him favour and wisdom in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and he made G2525 him kathistooymee governor over Egypt and all his house.

The same word kathistaymee is translated as "appoint"
in Acts 6:3
Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint G2525 over this business

Paul uses the word kathistaymee three times in Romans 5:19 in which it simply means "made".
For as by one man's disobedience many were made G2525 sinners, so by the obedience of one shall G2525 ➔ many be made G2525 righteous.

The word "diatasso #1299 was also used in the first verse sited -- Titus 1:5. where Paul writes to Titus "as I have appointed you".

Diatasso #1299 is also translated as "ordain" in other texts.

So Titus 1:5 could be translated " ordain elders as I have ordained you." Or
"appoint elders as I have appointed you".

But look at this verse:
1 Cor.7:17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain diatasso G1299 I in all churches.

Though Paul uses the the word diatasso#1299, which could have been translated as "command" or appoint, that verse may be coming the closest as to what "ordaining" is all about.

Paul speaks several times that ALL workers are equally important, we are one body with Christ the head, and all members with their individual gifts are equally important. Thus yes, it seems all should be "ordained" blessed and made to understand they are "called by God" to fulfill their gifts for the glory of God. Not all ordained to the same gift, for not all are called to be apostles or teachers etc. but each ordained to a ministry in which they use their gift.
Ep 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry,
Some the gift of hospitality, some the gift of healing, etc.

Not all receive the same gift or mission.
But all are equally important.

as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain G1299 I in all churches. 1 Cor. 7:17

Actually both words here discussed -- diatasso and kathistaymee don't really mean "ordained" in the way we see it today. But rather in the sense of appointed, being designated, made, even commanded.

To understand what we now call "ordination" we may have to do a research on what "laying on of hands" in spiritual sense, is all about.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196474
09/06/23 11:55 AM
09/06/23 11:55 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by dedication
Tit 1:5? For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and
ordain
( kath-is'-tay-mee from G2596 and G2476; to place down, to designate, constitute, convoy, to appoint, to make, ordain, set up ).elders in every city,
as I had appointed
diatasso #1299 appointed, commanded, give order, ordained)thee:

Tit 1:6? If any be blameless, the husband of one wife,
(not a polygamists, this doesn't mean they must have a wife, but that they must not be a polygamist) having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly. (that doesn't mean they have to have children, but when they do have children they must show good upbringing)

So Titus was to be sure all the churches appointed leaders.
The translators used the word "ordain" elders, in this verse, but the word Kathistaymee is rarely translated as "ordain",
It's usually translated as "make,
as we see in Acts 7:10
And delivered him out of all his afflictions, and gave him favour and wisdom in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and he made G2525 him kathistooymee governor over Egypt and all his house.

The same word kathistaymee is translated as "appoint"
in Acts 6:3
Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint G2525 over this business

Paul uses the word kathistaymee three times in Romans 5:19 in which it simply means "made".
For as by one man's disobedience many were made G2525 sinners, so by the obedience of one shall G2525 ➔ many be made G2525 righteous.

The word "diatasso #1299 was also used in the first verse sited -- Titus 1:5. where Paul writes to Titus "as I have appointed you".

Diatasso #1299 is also translated as "ordain" in other texts.

So Titus 1:5 could be translated " ordain elders as I have ordained you." Or
"appoint elders as I have appointed you".

But look at this verse:
1 Cor.7:17 But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain diatasso G1299 I in all churches.

Though Paul uses the the word diatasso#1299, which could have been translated as "command" or appoint, that verse may be coming the closest as to what "ordaining" is all about.

Paul speaks several times that ALL workers are equally important, we are one body with Christ the head, and all members with their individual gifts are equally important. Thus yes, it seems all should be "ordained" blessed and made to understand they are "called by God" to fulfill their gifts for the glory of God. Not all ordained to the same gift, for not all are called to be apostles or teachers etc. but each ordained to a ministry in which they use their gift.
Ep 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry,
Some the gift of hospitality, some the gift of healing, etc.

Not all receive the same gift or mission.
But all are equally important.

as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain G1299 I in all churches. 1 Cor. 7:17

Actually both words here discussed -- diatasso and kathistaymee don't really mean "ordained" in the way we see it today. But rather in the sense of appointed, being designated, made, even commanded.

To understand what we now call "ordination" we may have to do a research on what "laying on of hands" in spiritual sense, is all about.\

To ordain means to make or appoint.

Here are the dictionary definitions.

make (someone) a priest or minister; confer holy orders on.
"he was ordained a minister before entering Parliament"

The ESV translates the Greek as appoint. Here's the dictionary definition of it.

a
: to fix or set officially
appoint a trial date
b
: to name officially
will appoint her director of the program

That pretty much knocks the props out from under your objections,

Last edited by Garywk; 09/06/23 11:57 AM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196477
09/06/23 05:31 PM
09/06/23 05:31 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Knocks what props out of what objections???? What are you referring to????

The dictionary definition is man's definition, but is it the Biblical definition?

As explained in my previous post, the Greek words:

Diatasso #1299 is to command, set up, appoint
kath-is'-tay-mee from G2596 and G2476; is to put in place , to designate, constitute, convoy, to appoint, to make, set up

Both of those Greek words in scripture were translated as "ordain" a couple times in the King James Bible, but they occur many more times in the Bible where they are given the other translations,

The word "ordain" as such has no "one Greek word" to correspond to it.

The PRACTICE of ordaining is usually done with the "laying on of hands".
I've seen many ordination services in which the gentlemen kneel on the platform and a group of others surround them placing their hands on heads and shoulders of the initiates.
The PRACTICE of ordaining is considerably different than just setting up, designating , appointing.

Sabbath school superintendents are designated and appointed and officially set up by vote of the church, but they are not "ordained" in the meaning given by the church to ordination. They are just appointed, to do the job.
Bible workers are appointed, set up, officially voted by the church, even paid by the church, yet not ordained.
So if ordination really means "appointed to a position and officially set up" why aren't they ordained?

Obviously those dictionary definitions aren't what we think ordination means.

As suggested == maybe a little research on "laying on of hands" would be closer in finding the biblical meaning of the practice of ordination.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196481
09/06/23 09:10 PM
09/06/23 09:10 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Knocks what props out of what objections???? What are you referring to????

The dictionary definition is man's definition, but is it the Biblical definition?

As explained in my previous post, the Greek words:

Diatasso #1299 is to command, set up, [b]appoint[.b]
kath-is'-tay-mee from G2596 and G2476; is to put in place , to designate, constitute, convoy, to appoint, to make, set up

Both of those Greek words in scripture were translated as "ordain" a couple times in the King James Bible, but they occur many more times in the Bible where they are given the other translations,

The word "ordain" as such has no "one Greek word" to correspond to it.

The PRACTICE of ordaining is usually done with the "laying on of hands".
I've seen many ordination services in which the gentlemen kneel on the platform and a group of others surround them placing their hands on heads and shoulders of the initiates.
The PRACTICE of ordaining is considerably different than just setting up, designating , appointing.

Sabbath school superintendents are designated and appointed and officially set up by vote of the church, but they are not "ordained" in the meaning given by the church to ordination. They are just appointed, to do the job.
Bible workers are appointed, set up, officially voted by the church, even paid by the church, yet not ordained.
So if ordination really means "appointed to a position and officially set up" why aren't they ordained?

Obviously those dictionary definitions aren't what we think ordination means.

As suggested == maybe a little research on "laying on of hands" would be closer in finding the biblical meaning of the practice of ordination.

If the English language dictionary can't be used to define the words in the Bible then the entire Bible is useless. We have no other way to understand the Bible unless we are experts in Hebrew and Greek.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196482
09/07/23 02:19 AM
09/07/23 02:19 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
No one said the English language dictionary can't be used. I'm surprised how you swing into extreme's without addressing content. Of course the English dictionary attempts to show the meaning of words.

But there are two problems:
1. The Bible wasn't written in English
2. The translators' own ideas can influence which word(s) they use to translate the text into English.

There is no specific word for "ordain" in the Bible.
The two Greek words which on about 3 occasions were translated as "ordain" are:

Diatasso #1299 which means --- to command, set up, [b]appoint[.b]
and
kath-is'-tay-mee which means -- to put in place , to designate, to appoint, constitute, convoy, to make, set up

The translators decided to use the word "ordain" in translating the Greek word kathistaymee. That Greek word means -- to appoint, to designate, to make official.

It's an honest question, why didn't the translators simply follow the usual pattern and usual meaning of the word and write --

1:5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and designate elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

That's all the verse actually says -- Titus was to choose elders for all the churches in every city.

Now the English dictionary will give the meaning to words that PEOPLE have given to them.
So, while it included all the more general (designate, appoint, set up, make official) definitions, it also gives a very distinct meaning, the definition to "confer holy orders on".

Where does the concept of "conferring holy orders" come from?
The dictionary is just sharing what a popular thought is when the word "ordained" comes up.

The "conferring holy orders" is a very Catholic phrase.

Through the sacrament of holy orders, or ordination, a man is increasingly empowered to provide the sacraments. That is the Catholic staircase to glory.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196483
09/07/23 10:38 AM
09/07/23 10:38 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Messed up post

Last edited by Garywk; 09/07/23 10:42 AM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196484
09/07/23 10:52 AM
09/07/23 10:52 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
No one said the English language dictionary can't be used. I'm surprised how you swing into extreme's without addressing content. Of course the English dictionary attempts to show the meaning of words.

But there are two problems:
1. The Bible wasn't written in English
2. The translators' own ideas can influence which word(s) they use to translate the text into English.

There is no specific word for "ordain" in the Bible.
The two Greek words which on about 3 occasions were translated as "ordain" are:

Diatasso #1299 which means --- to command, set up, [b]appoint[.b]
and
kath-is'-tay-mee which means -- to put in place , to designate, to appoint, constitute, convoy, to make, set up

The translators decided to use the word "ordain" in translating the Greek word kathistaymee. That Greek word means -- to appoint, to designate, to make official.

It's an honest question, why didn't the translators simply follow the usual pattern and usual meaning of the word and write --

1:5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and designate elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

That's all the verse actually says -- Titus was to choose elders for all the churches in every city.

Now the English dictionary will give the meaning to words that PEOPLE have given to them.
So, while it included all the more general (designate, appoint, set up, make official) definitions, it also gives a very distinct meaning, the definition to "confer holy orders on".

Where does the concept of "conferring holy orders" come from?
The dictionary is just sharing what a popular thought is when the word "ordained" comes up.

The "conferring holy orders" is a very Catholic phrase.

Through the sacrament of holy orders, or ordination, a man is increasingly empowered to provide the sacraments. That is the Catholic staircase to glory.

Why did the translators use single words to describe concepts. That is very clear to me. The better an author is the more concise he is. It's the natural human instinct for those who want to be understood. Ellen white was very concise in her later years and had no problem using the word ordain. I really don't understand why, after years of reading her writings, you object to the very word she used. It seems to me it has to do with your political objectives within the church.

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!