HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,078 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196525
09/11/23 07:38 AM
09/11/23 07:38 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by dedication
So again you assumed I was telling you something, that I wasn't telling you.
It all depends on what you mean "THE ministry"
It seems to me that you see this whole conversation as a strict (that there is only one ordination which means the ordained person is qualified for ALL ministerial functions)
Not that I blame you -- as that seems to be how many see it --
They see it as THE ministry which enables the initiated to do EVERYTHING ( be pastor, overseer, evangelist, conference president, etc, etc, all wrapped up in one ordination). That's the NARROW view that sees Ordination as entitling the one ordained to do EVERYTHING, as in once ordained they are THE ministry.

The other position is to BROADEN ordination.
Go back and read what I wrote, if you want to know what I'm saying.
It's actual quite similar idea to the paper you linked.

I would propose that the church recognize the different ministries (and not lump them all into one) and then ordain, set apart, officially recognize, those called for these ministries.
So it's not just THE ordination, but more a matter ordaining people for their ministries, some overseers, some pastors, some missionaries, etc. The ordination for overseers (ministering to a region of churches), be not the same as the ordination for pastors (ministering to members in local churches).
Women, as I see it in EGW's writings can be ordained as pastors
In fact, EGW seems to quite strongly encourage women to take up pastoral work (not just men).
Yet, she still strongly promotes the need for true Christian men leaders.

Yes, I misunderstood you, but no more than than you misunderstood me. Why did I misunderstand you? This is a thread about women's ordination and you have consistently criticized the church's concept of ordination. I have said from the first that I considered the signet of God as of far more value than man's. And that was why I have never understood the big brouhaha over women's ordination. That should have been a clue. But you never responded to that post.

I have also consistently said the same things from the beginning of this thread and you seemed to feel the need to respond as if you disagreed with me. So what else was I to think?

Last edited by Garywk; 09/11/23 07:38 AM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196555
09/15/23 11:06 AM
09/15/23 11:06 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Well -- you still don't understand, for I see you saying ordaining women as pastors is not from a righteous source. So seems to me, you see ordination in the narrow sense that ordination is just for males.
Yet the word "pastor" means a shepherd. Don't you see EGW writing about the need for women as shepherds (pastors) in the churches, and her saying they should be appointed with "the laying on of hands" (as in ordination)?

What if we don't agree with the ordination set up as it stands today?
What does it mean to be "ordained"?

Obviously, while God's ordination is the first and most important call, and many can serve God even if the church denies recognizing their ministry, yet both the Bible and the prophetic writings point out the need for the church recognition of leadership, the setting apart people for church recognized ministry.

So what is ordination?
In the church today, it seems the meaning of ordination is primarily a status of authoritive control, and only secondarily of spiritual leadership and mission.

Therefore, the text "a woman should not usurp authority over a man" is interpreted as "a woman should not be ordained." (If she is ordained, some will reason, she has authoritive control over male members)
But that is a misunderstanding of what ordination means.

A shepherd (a pastor) LEADS, they do not drive by force, they lead, facilitate, encourage, help.

While some focus on the verse that women should not have authoritive control over men, many ignore that it is not good for a man to mentor and be a private counselor and have authoritive control over a women.

We ignore the fact and reality that men having authoritive control over women is also wrong.
To take the bible text that a woman is to be subject to her OWN husband as meaning they are to be under control of any or all men is WRONG!
The very fact is that a man, with concern in his eyes, and sympathy in his voice is comforting a woman (albeit with Bible verses) is a snare, not a blessing, especially if her husband is a bit of a non communicating type.
How many churches are reeling from a male pastor taking advantage of female response to their "ministering sympathy".
Churches need female pastors.

There is a real need for God-fearing women in trained, spiritual leadership roles. Female shepherds (pastors) for the women in the church.

Yes, definitely churches need Male leaders for the men, and boys. This is important! Young people- especially young males, need a strong spiritual male influence.
Men should never sit back and leave their part in being strong leaders.
That's probably the biggest concern -- men shirking their role with a "all or nothing" mentality.

While women are not to take over, as in taking away from the men, the leadership roles,
women should be co-leaders. They are needed as co-leaders! With the same respect and authority, blessings and recognition as the male leader.

There is a very distinct and important need for a male leader. However, there is the need to have recognized, appointed, ordained associate women pastors in our churches as well

And I do see EGW leading the church in that direction.
As does the author whose article you posted
Fortin's conclusion is really quite pro-women's ordination
"Ellen White's basic reason for supporting the setting apart of women and medical missionaries concurs also with what we have already seen on the adaptability of church structures to meet new needs. Under the guidance of God, the church can and should branch out in its methods of labor by setting apart in ordination people serving in various ministries. But more importantly, I believe, Ellen White implied here that God is leading the church in this direction, that it is God's will for the church to branch out, to be strengthened and built up by ordaining women to ministry."

Last edited by dedication; 09/15/23 11:31 AM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196556
09/15/23 12:35 PM
09/15/23 12:35 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Well -- you still don't understand, for I see you saying ordaining women as pastors is not from a righteous source. So seems to me, you see ordination in the narrow sense that ordination is just for males.
Yet the word "pastor" means a shepherd. Don't you see EGW writing about the need for women as shepherds (pastors) in the churches, and her saying they should be appointed with "the laying on of hands" (as in ordination)?

What if we don't agree with the ordination set up as it stands today?
What does it mean to be "ordained"?

Obviously, while God's ordination is the first and most important call, and many can serve God even if the church denies recognizing their ministry, yet both the Bible and the prophetic writings point out the need for the church recognition of leadership, the setting apart people for church recognized ministry.

So what is ordination?
In the church today, it seems the meaning of ordination is primarily a status of authoritive control, and only secondarily of spiritual leadership and mission.

Therefore, the text "a woman should not usurp authority over a man" is interpreted as "a woman should not be ordained." (If she is ordained, some will reason, she has authoritive control over male members)
But that is a misunderstanding of what ordination means.

A shepherd (a pastor) LEADS, they do not drive by force, they lead, facilitate, encourage, help.

While some focus on the verse that women should not have authoritive control over men, many ignore that it is not good for a man to mentor and be a private counselor and have authoritive control over a women.

We ignore the fact and reality that men having authoritive control over women is also wrong.
To take the bible text that a woman is to be subject to her OWN husband as meaning they are to be under control of any or all men is WRONG!
The very fact is that a man, with concern in his eyes, and sympathy in his voice is comforting a woman (albeit with Bible verses) is a snare, not a blessing, especially if her husband is a bit of a non communicating type.
How many churches are reeling from a male pastor taking advantage of female response to their "ministering sympathy".
Churches need female pastors.

There is a real need for God-fearing women in trained, spiritual leadership roles. Female shepherds (pastors) for the women in the church.

Yes, definitely churches need Male leaders for the men, and boys. This is important! Young people- especially young males, need a strong spiritual male influence.
Men should never sit back and leave their part in being strong leaders.
That's probably the biggest concern -- men shirking their role with a "all or nothing" mentality.

While women are not to take over, as in taking away from the men, the leadership roles,
women should be co-leaders. They are needed as co-leaders! With the same respect and authority, blessings and recognition as the male leader.

There is a very distinct and important need for a male leader. However, there is the need to have recognized, appointed, ordained associate women pastors in our churches as well

And I do see EGW leading the church in that direction.
As does the author whose article you posted
Fortin's conclusion is really quite pro-women's ordination
"Ellen White's basic reason for supporting the setting apart of women and medical missionaries concurs also with what we have already seen on the adaptability of church structures to meet new needs. Under the guidance of God, the church can and should branch out in its methods of labor by setting apart in ordination people serving in various ministries. But more importantly, I believe, Ellen White implied here that God is leading the church in this direction, that it is God's will for the church to branch out, to be strengthened and built up by ordaining women to ministry."

That's odd. You castigated me for "misunderstanding" your position in the following two posts of yours.

https://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=196491#Post196491

[url https://www.maritime-sda-online.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=196523#Post196523 [/url]

Last edited by Garywk; 09/15/23 12:42 PM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196557
09/15/23 08:04 PM
09/15/23 08:04 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I'm not castrating anyone (why such strong language????)
I still do not think you understand what I'm saying. Nothing you write indicates that you do.

Why not simply explain yourself, and at least try to understand. Yes, I don't understand you and you don't understand me, and it makes conversation very trying.

So let's look at this:

1. You said in your post, three up from this one, -- that you consider that the signet of God is far more valuable than man's, thus you can't understand the big brouhaha over women's ordination.

What do you mean by that? You said I've never addressed that, yet, I fully agreed several times, that the first and most important step is the call of God. I don't have any question with that -- it's vitally important.

But what I see is you obviously do have a big brouhaha over women's ordination. Why?
Yet you say you don't understand the big brouhaha? Doesn't make sense.
If they have the signet of God, why can't the church officially confirm it?

2. You wrote in the "IS THERE A CONNECTION BETWEEN WO AND LGBTQ" thread,
That you disagree with Kevin and myself that the two are two DIFFERENT issues that need to be addressed separately and not linked together.
You linked them together saying, both originate from the same unrighteous source.

That is pretty strong to put women being recognized by the church for pastoral work in the same class as something like that. If that isn't a big bouhaha statement concerning ordination, what is. Linking them together is basically denying that there are godly women with the signet of God to do ministry.

3. So how do you reconcile your two seemingly contradicting statements?

Another question:

If women wishing to be appointed and recognized by the church as doing a ministry for the church is not important (even though God has called them and they have the signet of God)
WHY should men be ordained? Won't God's call and his signet to them (which I agree is the most important) be sufficient for them? Why should they be ordained or why not???

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196558
09/15/23 10:02 PM
09/15/23 10:02 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
I'm not castrating anyone (why such strong language????)
I still do not think you understand what I'm saying. Nothing you write indicates that you do.

Why not simply explain yourself, and at least try to understand. Yes, I don't understand you and you don't understand me, and it makes conversation very trying.

So let's look at this:

1. You said in your post, three up from this one, -- that you consider that the signet of God is far more valuable than man's, thus you can't understand the big brouhaha over women's ordination.

What do you mean by that? You said I've never addressed that, yet, I fully agreed several times, that the first and most important step is the call of God. I don't have any question with that -- it's vitally important.

But what I see is you obviously do have a big brouhaha over women's ordination. Why?
Yet you say you don't understand the big brouhaha? Doesn't make sense.
If they have the signet of God, why can't the church officially confirm it?

2. You wrote in the "IS THERE A CONNECTION BETWEEN WO AND LGBTQ" thread,
That you disagree with Kevin and myself that the two are two DIFFERENT issues that need to be addressed separately and not linked together.
You linked them together saying, both originate from the same unrighteous source.

That is pretty strong to put women being recognized by the church for pastoral work in the same class as something like that. If that isn't a big bouhaha statement concerning ordination, what is. Linking them together is basically denying that there are godly women with the signet of God to do ministry.

3. So how do you reconcile your two seemingly contradicting statements?

Another question:

If women wishing to be appointed and recognized by the church as doing a ministry for the church is not important (even though God has called them and they have the signet of God)
WHY should men be ordained? Won't God's call and his signet to them (which I agree is the most important) be sufficient for them? Why should they be ordained or why not???

I guess you don't know what castigating is. You might want to look it up in a dictionary.

And now you're for church ordaining women as ministers. First you deny it, and say it's the same idea as Catholic ordination, and now you're full on for it. Would you like me to quote your posts from the other threads?

Last edited by Garywk; 09/15/23 10:03 PM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196560
09/15/23 10:57 PM
09/15/23 10:57 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
I knew it -- you responded just as I thought you would!!!!! No answers to my questions. No explanations.
It's just voicing the narrow view of ordination that blinds you to what I'm trying to share. Its just as I've been trying to explain --The narrow view (which is the one now enforced) has just one ordination, thus everyone is pigeon holed into being either for or against women receiving that ONE ordination.
You've swung me into the "for" camp, then into the against camp, and now full force shoved me into the "for" camp.

All the while ignoring, or not understanding that there is another view in between that I've been trying to share.

Sure go ahead and post my previous posts. I tried very hard to convey my thought, but it obviously was not understood.

I believe women should be ordained to their ministry.
I suggested there should be different levels of ordination.
A more general pastoral ordination -- a pastoral ordination (ordained to be a shepherd to members) Women as well as men can be pastors.
The pastoral ordination should not be the same as the "overseer" ordination. (ordained to oversee the churches, regional overseers). A head minister in a college would be male -- an ordained overseer, while there would be male and female ordained pastors ministering to male and female students.

In the Bible we see the ordination of the apostles (overseers) and the ordination for deacons (which originally in the Bible was basically the role of a pastor, preaching, evangelizing, taking care of the poor, being there for the church etc etc. not what we understand deacons doing today)

Let's look at this quote by EGW again:
Women who are willing to consecrate some of their time to the service of the Lord should be appointed to visit the sick, look after the young, and minister to the necessities of the poor. They should be set apart to this work by prayer and laying on of hands. ( that means ordained) In some cases they will need to counsel with the church officers or the minister, ( There should be an "overseer" that she can get counsel from if needed ) but if they are devoted women, maintaining a vital connection with God, they will be a power for good in the church.(if connected God will direct them)

This is another means of strengthening and building up the church. ( this ordaining women to pastoral work is a means of strengthening and building up the church )
We need to branch out more in our methods of labor.( Expand the ministry)

Not a hand should be bound, not a soul discouraged, not a voice should be hushed; let every individual labor, privately or publicly, to help forward this grand work.(so why are people, in God's name, trying to bind, discourage women from public ministry???)

Place the burdens upon men and women of the church, that they may grow by reason of the exercise, and thus become effective agents in the hand of the Lord for the enlightenment of those who sit in darkness.--RH, July 9, 1895.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196561
09/15/23 11:24 PM
09/15/23 11:24 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by dedicatio[b[n
I knew it -- you responded just as I thought you would!!!!!
It's the narrow view of ordination that blinds you to what I'm trying to share. Its just as I've been trying to explain --The narrow view (which is the one now enforced) has just one ordination, thus everyone is pigeon holed into being either for or against women receiving that ONE ordination.
You've swung me into the "for" camp, then into the against camp, and now full force shoved me into the "for" camp.[/]

All the while ignoring, or not understanding that there is another view in between that I've been trying to share.

Sure go ahead and post my previous posts. I tried very hard to convey my thought, but it obviously was not understood.

I believe women should be ordained to their ministry.
I suggested there should be different levels of ordination.
To have a pastoral ordination (ordained to be a shepherd to members) Women as well as men can be pastors.
The pastoral ordination should not be the same as the "overseer" ordination. (ordained to oversee the churches, regional). A head minister in a college would be male -- an ordained overseer, while there would be male and female ordained pastors ministering to male and female students.

In the Bible we see the ordination of the apostles (overseers) and the ordination for deacons (which originally in the Bible was basically the role of a pastor, preaching, evangelizing, taking care of the poor, being there for the church etc etc. not what we understand deacons doing today)

Women who are willing to consecrate some of their time to the service of the Lord should be appointed to visit the sick, look after the young, and minister to the necessities of the poor. They should be set apart to this work by prayer and laying on of hands. that means ordained In some cases they will need to counsel with the church officers or the minister, There should be an "overseer" that she can get counsel from if needed but if they are devoted women, maintaining a vital connection with God, they will be a power for good in the church.if connected God will direct them

This is another means of strengthening and building up the church. this ordaining women to pastoral work is a means of strengthening and building up the church
We need to branch out more in our methods of labor. Expand the ministry

Not a hand should be bound, not a soul discouraged, not a voice should be hushed; let every individual labor, privately or publicly, to help forward this grand work.so why are people, in God's name, trying to bind, discourage women from public ministry???

Place the burdens upon men and women of the church, that they may grow by reason of the exercise, and thus become effective agents in the hand of the Lord for the enlightenment of those who sit in darkness.--RH, July 9, 1895.

Do you have any idea why I disagreed with your stance? Because the push comes from those who do not accept the Bible as the word of authority.

And you just confirmed what I said. You think there should be women pastors, not female Bible workers who are paid.

Last edited by Garywk; 09/15/23 11:24 PM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196563
09/16/23 04:06 AM
09/16/23 04:06 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
So instead of answering questions and discussing the topic you turn to accusation.

You imply I do not accept the Bible as God's Word???

he Bible is the authority! But people interpret the Bible and impose their interpretation. That's what the Jews did and came up with all sorts of rules as to God's requirements. Are you so sure you are not doing the same? May the anti-ordination for women be like the Pharisees at the pool of Bethsada -- all they could see was a man carrying his bed. They had their proof text from the book of Nehemiah, and they stepped right up to vindicate the authority of the law.
They couldn't see that God had empowered this man, and that they only vindicating their own interpretations and rules.

So women can't be pastors you say, they are just females to be paid but not blessed and the church dare not set them apart and bless them and officially recognized them as workers for the Lord?
Why?
Sorry, but according to Ellen White they are to be paid and blessed by the laying on of hands (which means ordained for the task). Go back and read Fortin's paper.

When the Bible says "man" or "men" 90% of the time it does NOT mean the male.

People will point to texts and EGW quotes and say -- it says "man" here, and here and here and here. Man means male.

Wait a minute, for years I have read the bible and when reading "man" I understood "human". The word man has that generic meaning.
Oh, some will say, but the context will tell you.

See, some people say, The Bible says, a bishop must be the husband of one wife, therefore we know all those qualifications for a bishop are only pointing to a male.

Really?

I guess the ten commandments are pointing only for males as well.
It says, "thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife". See it's the male that has the wife, so these commandments are addressed to males. Do we therefore know all those commandments are only pointing to a male?

Of course not, but why would it be ridiculous to say the commandments are only for males, but its considered defending biblical authority to take the qualifications for a church leader and say they are only for males?
Or is the Word just saying any man selected must not be a polygamist.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196567
09/16/23 08:25 AM
09/16/23 08:25 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
So instead of answering questions and discussing the topic you turn to accusation.

You imply I do not accept the Bible as God's Word???

he Bible is the authority! But people interpret the Bible and impose their interpretation. That's what the Jews did and came up with all sorts of rules as to God's requirements. Are you so sure you are not doing the same? May the anti-ordination for women be like the Pharisees at the pool of Bethsada -- all they could see was a man carrying his bed. They had their proof text from the book of Nehemiah, and they stepped right up to vindicate the authority of the law.
They couldn't see that God had empowered this man, and that they only vindicating their own interpretations and rules.

So women can't be pastors you say, they are just females to be paid but not blessed and the church dare not set them apart and bless them and officially recognized them as workers for the Lord?
Why?
Sorry, but according to Ellen White they are to be paid and blessed by the laying on of hands (which means ordained for the task). Go back and read Fortin's paper.

When the Bible says "man" or "men" 90% of the time it does NOT mean the male.

People will point to texts and EGW quotes and say -- it says "man" here, and here and here and here. Man means male.

Wait a minute, for years I have read the bible and when reading "man" I understood "human". The word man has that generic meaning.
Oh, some will say, but the context will tell you.

See, some people say, The Bible says, a bishop must be the husband of one wife, therefore we know all those qualifications for a bishop are only pointing to a male.

Really?

I guess the ten commandments are pointing only for males as well.
It says, "thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife". See it's the male that has the wife, so these commandments are addressed to males. Do we therefore know all those commandments are only pointing to a male?

Of course not, but why would it be ridiculous to say the commandments are only for males, but its considered defending biblical authority to take the qualifications for a church leader and say they are only for males?
Or is the Word just saying any man selected must not be a polygamist.

First off, Ellen White never called herself a pastor nor did she do the everyday duties of a pastor.. She was never ordained by anyone but God. No laying on of human hands could have had any effect on her ministry. Neither will the laying on of human hands have any effect on anyone else's ministry, male of female. I've preached and brought people to Jesus, but my ministry was of purely divine blessing. I've never had human hands laid on me for any church office.

The only ordination required for successful ministry is God's ordination and that comes from a sincere love for God. That is not of human origin.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196575
09/17/23 02:06 AM
09/17/23 02:06 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
Ellen White understood that the work of the church was to spread the gospel message. She was cautious of anything that would excite unnecessary prejudice. Encouraging women to engage in the work was a step by step process.

I found the full copy of Denis Foutin's paper.
Ellen White, Women in Ministry and Ordination

His study is quite comprehensive.
He gives a history of her own "battles" against people who felt women had no place in preaching and doing the things she was doing.
Many times she was denounced as being out of place, for women were to be silent in church
1 Cor. 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but [they are commanded] to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
14:35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

The general understanding of that Bible text was enough for her to deal with. Ordination for women at that point in time was simply not a practical idea, they had a battle simply to get people to believe women could speak in church.

Originally Posted by Foutin paper

In both anecdotes, Ellen White refers to the opposition against having a
woman speak and suggests that this opposition was at times biblically based. At the
California meeting, she referred to a note being circulated in the congregation from
a ?Cambelite,? that is a member from the Church of Christ of the restorationist
Stone-Campbell movement, who quoted a certain text of scripture about women
being prohibited from speaking in public. We are not told what that text was but we
can guess that it was either 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 or 1 Timothy 2:12. Christians in
the Stone-Campbell movement viewed these two texts as straightforward facts
about women, without any need to interpret or understand Paul?s context. They
viewed Paul?s admonition ?let your women be silent? as a fact to be obeyed at all times and in all places.

We find men like J,N,Andrews, James White and Stephen Haskell writing articles in the Review and Herald and Signs of the Times, on women speaking in church. These articles seek to explain the two
main texts used to prohibit women from speaking in church. Their purpose was to show that a careful study of these texts cannot support this conclusion.

J. N. Andrews, ?May Women Speak in Meeting?? Review and Herald, January 2, 1879, p.
324 (emphasis added).
J. N. Andrews, ?Women in the Bible,? Signs of the Times, October 30, 1879, p. 324.
James White, ?Women in the Church,? Review and Herald, May 29, 1879, p. 172.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!