HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196651
09/25/23 03:07 PM
09/25/23 03:07 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by dedication
Genesis 3:16
How is it understood. Is it a license to have authoritarian control over one's partner or is it a sad statement of how sin will operate?

Is it saying, women will desire to be loved by their husbands, but instead husbands will act as authoritarians and rule over them?

Or are we to accept this distorted view we see in some OLD commentaries that claims: Women are not to be allowed to follow their own desires, their husbands must rule over them and tell them what they can and can't do?
Yet the first is the reality we see fulfilled as the sad state of women all over the world throughout history have suffered as men have implemented their faulty interpretation.

That's why Paul tells women -- yes, respect your husbands leadership. But he then goes into a lengthy appeal to husbands to love their wives and treat them as they themselves would want to be treated.

But guess what? So many ignored that part of much larger part of Paul's message and only thundered the "submit" part over their wives. That's why we have women's lib -- it's not what God planned either. His plan was for love and respect on both sides, neither is to use authoritarian power over the other.

So people haven't ignored what God tells us since sin began? This argument of yours is no better than your slavery argument.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196652
09/26/23 03:38 AM
09/26/23 03:38 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
For sure -- people have been doing exactly what God foretold since sin began.
But that's because they have largely ignored His ideal.

People have grasped for every excuse to exercise power to control others, whether to enslave other people in slavery, claiming the Bible supports slavery, or treating women as mere possessions, really not much different than a slave, again claiming the Bible supports this.

But all this is about marriage -- (not ordination)

I know there are some good marriages where love and respect reign, blessed are they that find that kind of relationship.

But sin reigns on earth -- both the sinful ambition to control and rule over others, and the lack of genuine love, true unselfish love, ( there is lots of self centered, lustful, selfish love, that's not true love), true love has been hugely missing.

God's ideal for marriage is one of love and respect, not an authoritarian/subservient arrangement.

A good leader is NOT an authoritarian. A good leader is respected and trusted, but an authoritarian is not respected, nor trusted even if he forces submission, and achieves outward control.

Again, this isn't about really about ordination any more. It's about marriage.
Someone ordained for spiritual ministry, is NOT ordained to be the husband or wife of the the rest of the members. There really is no correlation.
Someone ordained for spiritual ministry is actually a "SERVANT" there really shouldn't be any debate over "who is the greatest" among the ordained "servants" of God .

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196654
09/26/23 06:29 AM
09/26/23 06:29 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
For sure -- people have been doing exactly what God foretold since sin began.
But that's because they have largely ignored His ideal.

People have grasped for every excuse to exercise power to control others, whether to enslave other people in slavery, claiming the Bible supports slavery, or treating women as mere possessions, really not much different than a slave, again claiming the Bible supports this.

But all this is about marriage -- (not ordination)

I know there are some good marriages where love and respect reign, blessed are they that find that kind of relationship.

But sin reigns on earth -- both the sinful ambition to control and rule over others, and the lack of genuine love, true unselfish love, ( there is lots of self centered, lustful, selfish love, that's not true love), true love has been hugely missing.

God's ideal for marriage is one of love and respect, not an authoritarian/subservient arrangement.

A good leader is NOT an authoritarian. A good leader is respected and trusted, but an authoritarian is not respected, nor trusted even if he forces submission, and achieves outward control.

Again, this isn't about really about ordination any more. It's about marriage.
Someone ordained for spiritual ministry, is NOT ordained to be the husband or wife of the the rest of the members. There really is no correlation.
Someone ordained for spiritual ministry is actually a "SERVANT" there really shouldn't be any debate over "who is the greatest" among the ordained "servants" of God .

I don't get you. What does ordination have to do with "who is the greatest"? I've never looked at it that way but you obviously do or this idea wouldn't have made it into your argument. Ordination as a power struggle has never crossed my mind except as it has been done by the proponents of it have ordained women after it was voted down by the world church in session at least twice. That makes it a power struggle but not by those against it. The power struggle has always been on the side of those for women's ordination.

Funny how Ellen White said the GC vote in session was to be seen as the voice of God and yet those on your side ignore that constantly while being the ones who claim they are doing God's work. Looks like pure hypocrisy to me.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196666
09/30/23 05:00 AM
09/30/23 05:00 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
If it's not a power struggle, why use your interpretation of Genesis 3:16 -- and insist men are to rule over women, as proof women can't be set apart and officially recognized to minister in a spiritual way to people.

Why would ordaining a woman (recognizing her as representing the church) to partner in the work of ministering to the congregation, be challenged with the supposed belief that men need to rule over women, if it's not a power thing?

As far as "my side" constantly ignoring the GC decision -- what proof do you have of that?
I'm not ordaining anyone, man or woman -- and the GC didn't vote that no one can ask questions, or think of other ways of looking at ordination.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196667
09/30/23 10:18 AM
09/30/23 10:18 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
If it's not a power struggle, why use your interpretation of Genesis 3:16 -- and insist men are to rule over women, as proof women can't be set apart and officially recognized to minister in a spiritual way to people.

Why would ordaining a woman (recognizing her as representing the church) to partner in the work of ministering to the congregation, be challenged with the supposed belief that men need to rule over women, if it's not a power thing?

As far as "my side" constantly ignoring the GC decision -- what proof do you have of that?
I'm not ordaining anyone, man or woman -- and the GC didn't vote that no one can ask questions, or think of other ways of looking at ordination.

How can I say you're ignoring the GC vote? You're a part of the women's ordination movement as you're arguing for it.

All of your arguments run smack into the fact that God doesn't change. Cultures always change, but God doesn't.

Heb_13:8? Jesus Christ, the same yesterday and today and forever.

Mal_3:6? For I, Jehovah, change not. Because of this, you sons of Jacob are not destroyed.

Last edited by Garywk; 09/30/23 10:19 AM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Daryl] #196745
10/10/23 02:03 AM
10/10/23 02:03 AM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
Genesis 3:14-16 is one poem. There are different characters: The serpent, the woman, her children, and her husband; but the focus of the poem is on the promised seed who comes up being referred to as "He" and "His" Dr. Doukahn in his wonderful commentary on Genesis points out that the "He" of Genesis 3:16 is the exact same "He"/"His" in Genesis 3:15. These verses point out the relationship of the promised seed to the serpent, the woman, her children and her husband.

To the serpent, the serpent has fallen, the spirit behind Babylon has fallen. The serpent will try to kill the promised seed but his attacks will only wound, but cause the serpent's destruction. It is one act with two results. This act and it's results will describe the relationship between the serpent and the promised seed

In birth the woman will have a special connection to her children; not only the pain of labor and birth, but that her bearing children will give her a special connection to the events in their lives, both the joys and the pains. And living in a sinful world will be mostly the pain. But instead of avoiding the pain by not having a mate, or to use the mate and treat him like some insects in the mate dying after his contribution, the woman will still desire her husband to be a part of the family.

Then comes the relationship of the promised seed to this dysfunctional family. The promised seed is not pie in the sky in the by and by, sometime way off in the future maybe. But the promised seed already exists. Before Abraham was, Before the man and the woman ate the fruit, before the serpent, He is!! YAHWEH!!! The way for the family to get through all the pain and dysfunction is by allowing "HE" to rule the family.

When we want to put the husband in the place of this eternal "HE" the eternal gospel, the lamb slain from the foundation of the world, we are setting up an idol.

We find in Genesis 3:14-16 the same message as we find in Revelation 14. God's last message to the sinful world is a repeat/parallel,/paraphrase of God's first and ever lasting message to the lost world.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Kevin H] #196750
10/10/23 09:30 AM
10/10/23 09:30 AM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by Kevin H
Genesis 3:14-16 is one poem. There are different characters: The serpent, the woman, her children, and her husband; but the focus of the poem is on the promised seed who comes up being referred to as "He" and "His" Dr. Doukahn in his wonderful commentary on Genesis points out that the "He" of Genesis 3:16 is the exact same "He"/"His" in Genesis 3:15. These verses point out the relationship of the promised seed to the serpent, the woman, her children and her husband.

To the serpent, the serpent has fallen, the spirit behind Babylon has fallen. The serpent will try to kill the promised seed but his attacks will only wound, but cause the serpent's destruction. It is one act with two results. This act and it's results will describe the relationship between the serpent and the promised seed

In birth the woman will have a special connection to her children; not only the pain of labor and birth, but that her bearing children will give her a special connection to the events in their lives, both the joys and the pains. And living in a sinful world will be mostly the pain. But instead of avoiding the pain by not having a mate, or to use the mate and treat him like some insects in the mate dying after his contribution, the woman will still desire her husband to be a part of the family.

Then comes the relationship of the promised seed to this dysfunctional family. The promised seed is not pie in the sky in the by and by, sometime way off in the future maybe. But the promised seed already exists. Before Abraham was, Before the man and the woman ate the fruit, before the serpent, He is!! YAHWEH!!! The way for the family to get through all the pain and dysfunction is by allowing "HE" to rule the family.

When we want to put the husband in the place of this eternal "HE" the eternal gospel, the lamb slain from the foundation of the world, we are setting up an idol.

We find in Genesis 3:14-16 the same message as we find in Revelation 14. God's last message to the sinful world is a repeat/parallel,/paraphrase of God's first and ever lasting message to the lost world.

I don't see what this has to do with women's ordination.

If, by RxF, we place God first in our lives and He uses us to help save others that produces so much joy in our lives I don't see that power has any value at all compared to that. Plus, in a world of sin there is a necessity for there to be both leaders and followers. I don't see how your reasoning changes anything. God still does not change so all scripture is still profitable for doctrine, reproof, and instruction in righteousness. The more we become like Jesus the closer we come to each other so where's the need for controversy? Why the ego trip requiring recognition for any of us??

Last edited by Garywk; 10/10/23 09:31 AM.
Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: Garywk] #196756
10/10/23 12:13 PM
10/10/23 12:13 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland
Originally Posted by Garywk
Originally Posted by kland
Originally Posted by Garywk

You're conflating two separate issues. Speaking in church is not the same thing as being a minister ordained by the church.
We have talked about this in the long past: Is ordination Biblical? Why ordain anyone?

I don't remember discussing this with you. You'll have to refresh my memory.

Sorry, I met the long past, before you came.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: dedication] #196757
10/10/23 12:19 PM
10/10/23 12:19 PM
K
kland  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

5500+ Member
Midland

I think there are two legitimate reasons for the church to ordain (officially recognize people in leadership):

2. Government legalities
Secondly, the government sort of demands a person to be legally set in place by ordination before they can perform marriage and act in other legal capacities representing the church.
Is that true? Or is it a church imposed process to allow paperwork to be done to be forwarded to the government?

WHAT IT SHOULD NOT BE

1. It is not to be a sacramental view of ordination. Investing the person with some holy power. Convey some change in the character and innate abilities of the person.

2. Nor a clericalization (i.e., separation between clergy and members, instead of facilitators to get everyone working together to further God's work.
Seems like what it has become to me.

Re: Women's Ordination Poll Here at Maritime [Re: kland] #196759
10/10/23 01:40 PM
10/10/23 01:40 PM
G
Garywk  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

Veteran Member
Colville, Wa
Originally Posted by kland

I think there are two legitimate reasons for the church to ordain (officially recognize people in leadership):

2. Government legalities
Secondly, the government sort of demands a person to be legally set in place by ordination before they can perform marriage and act in other legal capacities representing the church.
Is that true? Or is it a church imposed process to allow paperwork to be done to be forwarded to the government?

WHAT IT SHOULD NOT BE

1. It is not to be a sacramental view of ordination. Investing the person with some holy power. Convey some change in the character and innate abilities of the person.

2. Nor a clericalization (i.e., separation between clergy and members, instead of facilitators to get everyone working together to further God's work.
Seems like what it has become to me.

I agree. It's the HS job to create unity among the members. Human beings have never been able to create unity among themselves since sin arrived on this earth,

Act 2:42? And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.?
Act 2:43? And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.?
Act 2:44? And all that believed were together, and had all things common;?
Act 2:45? And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.?
Act 2:46? And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,?
Act 2:47? Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.?

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!