I would like to point out something in the life of Jesus that I think will be new to some of you.

Hebrews 1: 8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Jesus hates iniquity and did during His life here on earth. He is sinless.

Hebrews 4: 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Now let's go to the temptation in the wilderness.

Matthew 4: 1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

Have you ever been tempted to turn stones into bread when hungry? So, if the devil is tempting Jesus to sin how is being hungry a sin? I propose that it was futile for the devil to tempt Jesus to sin as we think of sinning. Hebrews 1:9 tells us Jesus hated sin. So was the sin the devil tempted Jesus with the same type of sin which we are tempted to indulge in? Yes. He was tempting Jesus to feed Himself miraculously. To use His own power to help Himself. Why would this be? How can this be? Jesus said:

John 5: 30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

The temptation was to separate Himself from His Father and do things on His own. And what is our temptation? To separate ourselves from God and do things our own way. Both actions are sinful as God is righteousness and the devil fell in heaven by wanting to do things his own way and thus separate himself from God. He set himself as his own idol and by separating ourselves from God and His power to live right we are doing the same.

The only way to live righteously as Jesus did is to submit ourselves to God as Jesus did to His Father. Then we are not part of the equation in our salvation.