HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
"Fire from Heaven or God" #197415
02/12/24 04:58 AM
02/12/24 04:58 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Who did it and by what means? As an aside I am by no means a KJV only person. It's just easier to look up and quote from it. Use whatever version makes you happy.

There was a time I accepted without question the literal (superficial) reading. Over time as I learned more, the same as all you others, I came to wonder and think deeper about any particular subject.

As a starter here are some texts. These first seem to be rather clear so I will leave them for the moment.

Leviticus 9:24 And there came a fire out from before the LORD, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat: which when all the people saw, they shouted, and fell on their faces.

Numbers 11:1 And when the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard it; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost parts of the camp.

Numbers 16:35 And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense.

This fire would seem to clearly come from God. My question is by what means.
1 Kings 18:38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.

These two texts now make me wonder if the fire literally came from God, or if they had reached the point that God gave them up to Satan for destruction, which does happen. In other words that Satan claimed them and God agreed. The next captain that came came with respect. The first two maybe came all cocky and pompous with ill intent which is why they had no protection from God?
2 Kings 1:10 And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I be a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.

2 Kings 1:12 And Elijah answered and said unto them, If I be a man of God, let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And the fire of God came down from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: "Fire from Heaven or God" [Re: teresaq] #197418
02/13/24 02:44 AM
02/13/24 02:44 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
There seem to be different kinds of fire, or is there?

Here are a couple of instances of the fire that does not consume. More are mentioned further on in the bible.

Exodus 3:2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

Deuteronomy 4:11 And ye came near and stood under the mountain; and the mountain burned with fire unto the midst of heaven, with darkness, clouds, and thick darkness.

Deuteronomy 9:15 So I turned and came down from the mount, and the mount burned with fire: and the two tables of the covenant were in my two hands.

Psa 64:5 ...an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?

Psa 7:14 Behold, he travaileth with iniquity, and hath conceived mischief, and brought forth falsehood. 15 He made a pit, and digged it, and is fallen into the ditch which he made. 16 His mischief (and his violent dealing) shall return upon his own head.

Psa 7:17 I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.
Re: "Fire from Heaven or God" [Re: teresaq] #197419
02/13/24 07:52 PM
02/13/24 07:52 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
God IS FIRE --

Heb. 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire.
Deut 4:24 For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire,
Deut 4:33 Did ever people hear the voice of God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as you heard, and live?

Israel realized the fire was the glory of God, they realized it was a consuming fire!

5:24 Behold, the LORD our God has shown us his glory and his greatness, and we have heard his voice out of the midst of the fire: we have seen this day that God does talk with man, and we are still alive. 5:25 Now why should we die? for this great fire will consume us: if we hear the voice of the LORD our God any more, then we shall die.
5:26 For who all flesh, that hath heard the voice of the living God speaking out of the midst of the fire, as we [have], and lived?

Duet 4:36 Out of the heavens He let you hear His voice to discipline you; and on earth He let you see His great fire, and you heard His words from the midst of the fire.
Exodus 24:17
And to the eyes of the sons of Israel the appearance of the glory of the Lord was like a consuming fire on the mountain top
?

So Israel begged Moses to talk to God and then tell them what God said, as they were sure they would be consumed if they were that close to the fire of God.
Even Moses could not see God's face and live, God placed him in the cleft of the rock and shielded him, letting him see only as much of his glory as he could endure (See Ex. 33)

And the Israelites were right! No man can endure the full glory of God and live, because no sin can live in the fiery, full glory of God. It is only when God veils His glory and shields people that they can get a glimpse of Him.

1 Tim 6:16 dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen,

God's throne is fiery

Read the description of God upon His throne in Daniel 7
Daniel 7:9=10 his throne like the fiery flame, his wheels like burning fire.
A fiery stream issued and came forth from before him:
Rev. 4:5 4:5 And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings.

Even the area around His throne has fire.

Talking about Lucifer before his fall into sin:
Ez 28:14 You were the anointed cherub that covers; and I set you thus: you were upon the holy mountain of God; you walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.

Look at the fire surrounding the redeemed in heaven!

Rev.15 :2 And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, [and] over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God.

When God (Christ) reveals Himself in all His glory, that fiery glory will consume all sin and all who were not washed clean of sin by the "blood of the Lamb".

Those who despise the cleansing work of Christ have only
Heb. 10:27 a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

In Exodus two priests entered the temple in defiled condition, they entered into the holy place where God's shekinah glory shown over the curtain from the Most Holy Place. What happened next is what will happen to all who meet God, in their sinful state, when He comes in all His glory.

The conclusion is --
No sin can abide in the full fiery glory of God. It will be consumed.
God will not veil His glory forever.

How can anyone stand and live in the fiery glories of heaven?

Start thinking of Christ's robe of righteousness as a fire proof garment provided for all the redeemed who will live happily in the place of fiery glory, with Christ.

Isaiah 33:14 Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?
33:15 He that walks righteously, and speaks uprightly; he that despises the gain of oppressions, that refuses holding of bribes, that stops his ears from hearing of blood, and shuts his eyes from seeing evil;

Re: "Fire from Heaven or God" [Re: teresaq] #197420
02/14/24 03:49 AM
02/14/24 03:49 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
Thank you so much for the additional texts!

When it comes to God's glory I'm more in keeping with Ellen White. Moses saw the burning bush yet it didn't prostrate him. The burning mount prostrated no one. scared them yes!. Daniel was prostrated by what he saw. God declared His glory to be His character when Moses asked to see God's glory. Moses was not able to see God's face, not because God was fire, but because seeing God would show us all our deformity of character and we couldn't deal with it. We can't deal with it now which is why so many of us run from soul-searching, heart-searching, instead of letting the Holy Spirit search our every crevice and reveal our defects to us AS WE ARE ABLE.

Exodus 33:18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. 19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.

20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.

We aren't changed from fire to fire. We are changed from character to character. Sanctification, a work of a lifetime. IF...
. 2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

PP 328.3
God did not rebuke his request as presumptuous; but the gracious words were spoken, ?I will make all My goodness pass before thee.? The unveiled glory of God, no man in this mortal state can look upon and live; but Moses was assured that he should behold as much of the divine glory as he could endure. Again he was summoned to the mountain summit; then the hand that made the world, that hand that ?removeth the mountains, and they know not? (Job 9:5), took this creature of the dust, this mighty man of faith, and placed him in a cleft of the rock, while the glory of God and all His goodness passed before him.

PP330.2
By this brightness God designed to impress upon Israel the sacred, exalted character of His law, and the glory of the gospel revealed through Christ. While Moses was in the mount, God presented to him, not only the tables of the law, but also the plan of salvation. He saw that the sacrifice of Christ was prefigured by all the types and symbols of the Jewish age; and it was the heavenly light streaming from Calvary, no less than the glory of the law of God, that shed such a radiance upon the face of Moses. That divine illumination symbolized the glory of the dispensation of which Moses was the visible mediator, a representative of the one true Intercessor.
PP330.3
The glory reflected in the countenance of Moses illustrates the blessings to be received by God's commandment-keeping people through the mediation of Christ. It testifies that the closer our communion with God, and the clearer our knowledge of His requirements, the more fully shall we be conformed to the divine image, and the more readily do we become partakers of the divine nature.

It wasn't fire that Jesus had to veil in the incarnation but His holy character. It had to be veiled by our human nature.
PP330.4
Moses was a type of Christ. As Israel's intercessor veiled his countenance, because the people could not endure to look upon its glory, so Christ, the divine Mediator, veiled His divinity with humanity when He came to earth. Had He come clothed with the brightness of heaven, He could not have found access to men in their sinful state. They could not have endured the glory of His presence. Therefore He humbled Himself, and was made ?in the likeness of sinful flesh? (Romans 8:3), that He might reach the fallen race, and lift them up.

As to the end, according to scripture and The Great Controversy the lost are destroyed by each other and the plagues, which we have created.

GC 655.4
The people see that they have been deluded. They accuse one another of having led them to destruction; but all unite in heaping their bitterest condemnation upon the ministers. Unfaithful pastors have prophesied smooth things; they have led their hearers to make void the law of God and to persecute those who would keep it holy. Now, in their despair, these teachers confess before the world their work of deception. The multitudes are filled with fury. ?We are lost!? they cry, ?and you are the cause of our ruin;? and they turn upon the false shepherds. The very ones that once admired them most will pronounce the most dreadful curses upon them. The very hands that once crowned them with laurels will be raised for their destruction. The swords which were to slay God's people are now employed to destroy their enemies. Everywhere there is strife and bloodshed.

GC656.1
?A noise shall come even to the ends of the earth; for the Lord hath a controversy with the nations, He will plead with all flesh; He will give them that are wicked to the sword.? Jeremiah 25:31. For six thousand years the great controversy has been in progress; the Son of God and His heavenly messengers have been in conflict with the power of the evil one, to warn, enlighten, and save the children of men. Now all have made their decisions; the wicked have fully united with Satan in his warfare against God. The time has come for God to vindicate the authority of His downtrodden law. Now the controversy is not alone with Satan, but with men. ?The Lord hath a controversy with the nations;? ?He will give them that are wicked to the sword.?

Figuratively speaking as clearly seen in the texts and comments just above:

The world see the very class whom they have mocked and derided, and desired to exterminate, pass unharmed through pestilence, tempest, and earthquake.
He who is to the transgressors of His law a devouring fire,
is to His people a safe pavilion.

Last edited by teresaq; 02/14/24 03:52 AM.

Re: "Fire from Heaven or God" [Re: teresaq] #197422
02/14/24 09:40 AM
02/14/24 09:40 AM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
In so many cases the truth is found not by pitting one text or quote against other texts, it's not one or the other, it is BOTH.
It has to be both for scripture and inspiration do not contradict each other.
We must not ignore some texts to prove another.

The Bible is clear that the absolute Holy Character of God is a consuming fire that WILL consume all evil.
The Bible makes it clear that this is not just an emotional reaction, it is literal.
And yes, when the righteous see Christ in His glorified body, in His full glorious righteous Character, they will be like Him. With glorified new bodies they will reflect the brightness of holiness. A literal intense brightness. Just like Moses face shone with a glory after being with God in the mountain, with a brightness he had to veil because the people could not bear to look upon it. But that was only a little reflection of the brightness of God's glorious fiery, holiness, God's brightness far exceeds in burning intensity more intense than the burning sun, and is hugely awesomely, far brighter than Moses shining face ever reflected.

At Sinai God revealed just as much of his fiery glory that the people could stand and not be consumed. Just because God's full glory was NOT revealed to the people at Sinai and they were not consumed, does not mean they would not have been consumed had God revealed His full glory. They would have been consumed!

Again the bible (as well as the quote you presented) is clear that NO HUMAN has seen God in the brightness of His glory. "The unveiled glory of God, no man in this mortal state can look upon and live;"
God always veils His full glory when dealing with humanity. As mentioned earlier, even for Moses, that glory was not fully revealed, only as much as Moses could stand.

Christ, in His humanity, did not veil his holy character, He came to show us true holiness in character in the flesh. But He completely veiled the intense brightness of that holy character, deity and perfect holiness which shines forth with burning intensity when unveiled.
"Had He come clothed with the brightness of heaven, He could not have found access to men in their sinful state."
When some of that brightness burst forth (John 18:6) his captors fell like dead men at his feet for a few moments -- "As one glorified He stood in the midst of that hardened band, now prostrate and helpless at His feet."
They will again see that glory at His coming and again fall, dead.

Also, just because it's recorded that people turn on each other with awful violence when they realize they are lost, this is not the end. That takes place just before the second coming, when God revealed His law in the heavens. At the second coming an end is made of all the mad strife,
You quoted page 656 from the book Great Controversy , keep reading to page 657

" At the coming of Christ the wicked are blotted from the face of the whole earth--consumed with the spirit of His mouth and destroyed by the brightness of His glory. Christ takes His people to the City of God, and the earth is emptied of its inhabitants. "Behold, the Lord maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof."

"Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before Him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about Him. He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that He may judge His people." Psalm 50:3,4

Re: "Fire from Heaven or God" [Re: teresaq] #197423
02/14/24 10:27 AM
02/14/24 10:27 AM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
OK. smile

Now to get back to the study.

Last edited by teresaq; 02/14/24 10:28 AM.

Re: "Fire from Heaven or God" [Re: teresaq] #197433
02/15/24 01:34 PM
02/15/24 01:34 PM
teresaq  Offline OP
SDA
Active Member 2024

Very Dedicated Member
CA, USA
God can dwell in fire, or the appearance of fire, or a cloud.
Exodus 13:21 And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:
Exodus 14:24 And it came to pass, that in the morning watch the LORD looked unto the host of the Egyptians through the pillar of fire and of the cloud, and troubled the host of the Egyptians,

Exodus 19:18 And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly.
Numbers 9:15 And on the day that the tabernacle was reared up the cloud covered the tabernacle, namely, the tent of the testimony: and at even there was upon the tabernacle as it were the appearance of fire, until the morning. Numbers 9:16 So it was alway: the cloud covered it by day, and the appearance of fire by night.

God also dwells in thick darkness
Deuteronomy 5:22 These words the LORD spake unto all your assembly in the mount out of the midst of the fire, of the cloud, and of the thick darkness, with a great voice: and he added no more. And he wrote them in two tables of stone, and delivered them unto me.

Apparently intended as future dependent on...
Isaiah 4:5 And the LORD will create upon every dwelling place of mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night: for upon all the glory shall be a defence.

Are the angels the flaming fire, or another instance of the appearance of fire?
Psalms 50:3 Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him.
Psalms 104:4 Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:

2 Kings 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

2 Kings 6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!