HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
Trainor, ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina
1324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,209
Posts195,784
Members1,324
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 29
kland 9
asygo 1
July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, 1 invisible), 2,771 guests, and 24 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22
Re: The Gospel According To John [Re: Daryl] #197556
04/01/24 08:10 PM
04/01/24 08:10 PM
dedication  Online Content
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
It's been awhile since we looked at this study.
There are still a few more verses in chapter five.
What do they mean for us????
John 5:42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.
5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
5:44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that [cometh] from God only?
5:45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is [one] that accuseth you, [even] Moses, in whom ye trust.
5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
5:47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

John chapter five is a gold mine for those wanting to understand the judgment!
Some of these gold nuggets have been brought forward in the studies on the previous verses, but they only scratch the surface.

What does "having the love of God in us" have to do with the judgment?
How does the "name" connect to judgment?
How does "the one we honor" relate to the judgment?
What does Moses have to do with judgment?

All these questions, have answers that lead to important concepts that fill in details of the judgment.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John [Re: Daryl] #197636
05/05/24 05:39 AM
05/05/24 05:39 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
John 6:1 After these things Jesus went over the sea of Galilee, which is [the sea] of Tiberias.
6:2 And a great multitude followed him, because they saw his miracles which he did on them that were diseased.
6:3 And Jesus went up into a mountain, and there he sat with his disciples

There's something about miracles that attract people. Especially miracles that take away disease.

Jesus had taught people all day and was seeking some time alone with His disciples. From the hillside He looked down at growing multitude of people, and His heart was stirred with sympathy. He knew they had a tough time just getting on in life. Interrupted as He was, and robbed of His rest, He was not impatient. He saw a greater necessity demanding His attention as He watched the people coming and still coming. He was "moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd" [Mark 6:34]. Leaving His retreat, He found a convenient place where He could minister to them. They received no help from the priests and rulers, but with Jesus it was the healing waters of life flowed from Him as He taught the multitude the way of salvation.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John [Re: Daryl] #197648
05/12/24 10:01 AM
05/12/24 10:01 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
John 6:4 And the time of the Passover, a feast of the Jews, was near.
6:5 When Jesus then lifted up his eyes, and saw a great multitude come to him, he said to Philip, Where shall we buy bread, that these may eat?
6:6 And this he said to prove him: for he himself knew what he would do.

Jesus is by the Sea of Galilee, yet here we have a reference to the Passover feast, which was about to take place in Jerusalem. What is the connection?

People are travelling, Hundreds have taken this opportunity to stop in Galilee to see the great Miracle Worker.
Yet, Jesus wants to draw their attention to the true meaning of the Passover and the spiritual food He so longed to give them. John is carefully constructing this chapter so we, too, can find deeper meaning. These aren't just history stories, they are acted out parables.

In the above verses, Jesus asked a question of Philip (the logical one).
"Philip, do you know where we could buy food to feed this crowd of over 10,000 people" (5000 men, plus women and children)?

Why did Jesus ask that question, knowing full well the disciples could never find enough food to feed that many people? Besides, Jesus already knew what He would do!

He's testing them, stirring up their minds to recognize their need. He addresses his disciple and receives a statement of their helplessness.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John [Re: Daryl] #197649
05/15/24 09:27 AM
05/15/24 09:27 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
John 6:7 Philip answered him, Two hundred pennyworth of bread is not sufficient for them, that every one of them may take a little.

Matthew gives us more details:
Apparently the disciples suggest Jesus should send them away so they can find their own food.

Matt. 15:32 I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.
15:33 And his disciples say unto him, Where should we have so much bread in the wilderness, as to fill so great a multitude?

We. as humans, tend to think mainly on the material side. We often relate to Jesus on a material side. What we will eat, how we will meet our bills, etc. How is Jesus going to teach them (and us) spiritual lessons who are not searching for spiritual food, rather they just want their physical needs satisfied.

So Jesus addresses them on the physical side in a situation where the disciples are incapable to find a physical solution.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John [Re: Daryl] #197650
05/16/24 02:17 PM
05/16/24 02:17 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
John 6:8 One of his disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, saith unto him,
6:9 There is a lad here, which hath five barley loaves, and two small fishes: but what are they among so many?
6:10 And Jesus said, Make the men sit down. Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand.
6:11 And Jesus took the loaves; and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down; and likewise of the fishes as much as they would.

The Creator of all things, (All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made" John 1:3) created food for these hungry people.
It was an awesome miracle showing the loving care of our Creator, who calls us to "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you." Matt. 6:33

Yet, in spite of that awesome event, when the people in that crowd looked at Jesus, they saw only a common everyday human who apparently had some magical powers that could be used to further their own ends. They did not see Someone who came down from heaven to offer them salvation from sin and give them eternal life. They were unable to see the sacred light shining through.
John makes it clear that most of those who had followed Christ did so only because of the miracles and not because of any deep spiritual conviction or need for a Savior and Redeemer. (See 6:2 and 6:26)

Christ desired to awaken faith in their hearts, to lead them to accept him, the Son of God, as the Bread of life. As we continue to study John chapter six, we see great numbers turning away when Jesus offered them the "living bread".

Question to think:
Though Jesus ministered to their immediate need for food, was that an end in itself?
Is there a far deeper meaning that Jesus is illustrating in this chapter?
What is our own reason for our interest in Jesus?

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John [Re: Daryl] #197658
05/21/24 04:50 PM
05/21/24 04:50 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
John 6:12 When they were filled, he said unto his disciples, Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost.
6:13 Therefore they gathered [them] together, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves, which remained over and above unto them that had eaten.
6:14 Then those men, when they had seen the miracle that Jesus did, said, This is of a truth that prophet that should come into the world.

Two small fishes, and five barley loaves (buns)
fed possibly 10,000 people.
------------amazing!!!!
Twelve baskets left over?
There was way more left over than there was to begin with.

Amazing -- how did the people respond?

Did they fall down on their knees and worship Him as Lord and Savior?
No, they just thought he was a prophet (Muslims would agree, but scripture shows Jesus is much more than a prophet)
During that time there was a popular Messianic expectation of an individual who would overthrow the Roman occupiers and re-establish a Davidic reign. Given that mindset, the people naturally saw Jesus through the lenses of their misunderstandings and clamored to make Him King by force.

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John [Re: Daryl] #197666
05/28/24 02:32 PM
05/28/24 02:32 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
John 6:15 When Jesus therefore perceived that they would come and take him by force, to make him a king, he departed again into a mountain himself alone.
6:16 And when even was come, his disciples went down unto the sea,
6:17 And entered into a ship, and went over the sea toward Capernaum. And it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them.

From Desire of Ages:
"In their enthusiasm the people are ready at once to crown Him king....They eagerly arrange to carry out their purpose; but Jesus sees what is on foot, and understands, as they cannot, what would be the result of such a movement. Even now the priests and rulers are hunting His life...Violence and insurrection would follow an effort to place Him on the throne, and the work of the spiritual kingdom would be hindered. Without delay the movement must be checked. Calling His disciples, Jesus bids them take the boat and return at once to Capernaum, leaving Him to dismiss the people. {DA 378.2}

Never before had a command from Christ seemed so impossible of fulfillment. The disciples had long hoped for a popular movement to place Jesus on the throne; they could not endure the thought that all this enthusiasm should come to nothing. The multitudes that were assembling to keep the Passover were anxious to see the new prophet. To His followers this seemed the golden opportunity to establish their beloved Master on the throne of Israel. In the glow of this new ambition it was hard for them to go away by themselves, and leave Jesus alone upon that desolate shore. They protested against the arrangement; but Jesus now spoke with an authority He had never before assumed toward them. They knew that further opposition on their part would be useless, and in silence they turned toward the sea. {DA 378.3}
Jesus now commands the multitude to disperse; and His manner is so decisive that they dare not disobey. The words of praise and exaltation die on their lips. In the very act of advancing to seize Him their steps are stayed, and the glad, eager look fades from their countenances. In that throng are men of strong mind and firm determination; but the kingly bearing of Jesus, and His few quiet words of command, quell the tumult, and frustrate their designs. They recognize in Him a power above all earthly authority, and without a question they submit. {DA 378.4}
When left alone, Jesus "went up into a mountain apart to pray." For hours He continued pleading with God. Not for Himself but for men were those prayers. He prayed for power to reveal to men the divine character of His mission, that Satan might not blind their understanding and pervert their judgment. The Saviour knew that His days of personal ministry on earth were nearly ended, and that few would receive Him as their Redeemer. In travail and conflict of soul He prayed for His disciples... It was painful to Jesus that their conceptions of His kingdom were, to so great a degree, limited to worldly aggrandizement and honor. For them the burden was heavy upon His heart, and He poured out His supplications with bitter agony and tears. {DA 379.1}

The disciples had not put off immediately from the land, as Jesus directed them. They waited for a time, hoping that He would come to
them. But as they saw that darkness was fast gathering, they "entered into a ship" {DA 379)

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John [Re: Daryl] #197681
06/05/24 02:15 AM
06/05/24 02:15 AM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
John 6:16 And when even was [now] come, his disciples went down unto the sea,
6:17 And entered into a ship, and went over the sea toward Capernaum. And it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them.
6:18 And the sea arose by reason of a great wind that blew.

6:19 So when they had rowed about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, they see Jesus walking on the sea, and drawing nigh unto the ship: and they were afraid.

So the disciples didn't obey Jesus immediately.
Why did they wait until it began to get dark?

Were their minds whirling with doubts and questions" LIKE -------
Why did Jesus dismiss a crowd of supporters greater then they had ever seen
Didn't Jesus see what a great opportunity this was in which to gain the kingdom.
Maybe Jesus wasn't the Messiah after?

And why would Jesus ask them to row away without Him?

Their minds were filling with doubts.
Things were just not going the way they thought they should.
Unbelief was taking possession of their minds and hearts.

They don't recognize Jesus, they are afraid!

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John [Re: dedication] #197683
06/06/24 05:13 PM
06/06/24 05:13 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
John 6:18 And the sea arose by reason of a great wind that blew.
6:19 So when they had rowed about five and twenty or thirty furlongs, they see Jesus walking on the sea, and drawing nigh unto the ship: and they were afraid.
6:20 But he saith unto them, I am he; be not afraid.

Three gospels tell the story of the disciples out on the sea after dark in a big storm. Jesus walks on water to them and each gospel writer notes Jesus answer:.
John 6:20 But he said to them, It is I (literally, I am); be not afraid.
Mark 6:50 Young's Literal Translation
for they all saw him, and were troubled, and immediately he spake with them, and said to them, 'Take courage, I am he, be not afraid.'
Matt 14:27 Young's Literal Translation
and immediately Jesus spake to them, saying, 'Be of good courage, I am he, be not afraid.'

Who is the I am walking upon the waves of the stormy sea towards them?

John 6:35 I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
John 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven:
John 8:12 I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.
John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved,
John 11:23 I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Isaiah 43:1-3 Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called you by your name; you are mine.
When thou pass through deep waters, I am with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you: when you walk through the fire, you shalt not be consumed.
For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour:"

The disciples are happy to see Him, once they recognize it's Jesus.
But have they grasped Who He really is, and why He came down from heaven to live among mankind?

Jesus didn't come to simply make our present lives more pleasant (though He does provide for our needs, He comforts, and upholds and gives us strength and peace to meet our trials here) But eventually all end this earthly life in death. So it's crucial, so very important that we recognize, He came to save lost humanity from the destructive forces of sin and evil and offer us (not just an extension of this temporal earthly life) BUT eternal life with Him, free from sin, in His kingdom of righteousness and love!

Reply Quote
Re: The Gospel According To John [Re: Daryl] #197738
07/06/24 05:49 PM
07/06/24 05:49 PM
Global Moderator
Supporting Member 2022

5500+ Member
Canada
John 6:22-24 The day following, when the people which stood on the other side of the sea saw that there was no other boat there, except the one into which his disciples had entered, and that Jesus had not entered with his disciples into the boat, but his disciples had gone away alone;
(However there came other boats from Tiberias near to the place where they had eaten bread, after that the Lord had given thanks:)
When the people therefore saw that Jesus was not there, neither his disciples, they also took shipping, and came to Capernaum, seeking for Jesus.

Jesus' popularity with the crowds was at a high pitch! They had seen His miracles, they had been miraculously healed and fed. They were searching for Jesus. They saw in Him a future of prosperity and freedom from the hardships of life under a Roman regime.

Some people from Tiberias helped these seekers to cross the lake and find Jesus, who was in the synagogue of Capernaum. But sadly their search for Jesus was not for spiritual food. Though Jesus had shared heavenly messages with them the day before, their focus was not on those truths, but on a material level.

Jesus knew He was standing at a turning point in His history. The multitudes who were eagerly seeking for him and desired to exalt Him as their hero and leader today would turn away from Him tomorrow. The disappointment of their selfish ambition would turn their love to hatred, and their praise to curses.

Reply Quote
Page 21 of 22 1 2 19 20 21 22
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 07/25/24 09:35 AM
Third Quarter 2024 The Book of Mark
by dedication. 07/25/24 01:19 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 07/24/24 10:54 PM
What is Catholic Integralism?
by dedication. 07/23/24 12:46 AM
Spiritual Evolution
by Rick H. 07/20/24 12:20 PM
"Justice" or torture?
by Rick H. 07/20/24 12:17 PM
The fragility of our cultural lifestyle
by dedication. 07/19/24 10:59 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 07/17/24 01:42 PM
Looking to Escape the Heat
by kland. 07/15/24 06:44 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by Rick H. 07/13/24 01:18 PM
Global Warming Farce
by dedication. 07/07/24 05:32 PM
Looks like the debate was a disaster for Biden.
by dedication. 07/07/24 03:05 PM
A Review of U.S. Sunday Laws
by dedication. 07/07/24 12:38 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by dedication. 07/26/24 07:17 PM
The most bitter of enemies.
by Kevin H. 07/21/24 11:51 PM
Will Trump Pass The Sunday Law?
by Kevin H. 07/21/24 10:24 PM
Ecumenical Baptism
by Rick H. 07/20/24 06:20 PM
Has SDA prophetic understanding losts its way?
by Rick H. 07/20/24 06:12 PM
Satan's Last Day Deception...
by Rick H. 07/20/24 06:00 PM
Press Together! Press Together!
by Rick H. 07/20/24 01:30 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by Rick H. 07/20/24 12:25 PM
LGBTQ+ Rainbow Decorates SDA Website
by kland. 07/19/24 06:45 PM
False Tongues In The Church!
by TheophilusOne. 07/13/24 12:24 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 07/05/24 03:47 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!